Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by Phoenix520 »

Forty five years ago friends were coming home from a bowling outing in Mannassas. Back then Mannassas was rural, way the heck away from the DC Metro area.

Cops were chasing a guy who’d rolled through a stop sign. They’d been going for a while and were way out in the bundogs. Barb and Tony had just dropped one friend off and we’re heading back to town when the guy being chased blew through his stop sign and broadsided them at around 80.

The two in the back seat died instantly. Barb and Tony spent months in rehab. The guy, drunk, was relatively unscathed.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Teenage girl & family go to Disney World in March 2020, start of the Covid pandemic.

Girl goes home, comes down with covid symptoms. Can’t get tested at hospital due to testing protocols in place at that time and is sent home. Couple of days later girl is worse, goes back to hospital, is sent to another and admitted. Tests negative with caveat from the docs that the window for testing may have passed. Sent home again.

Girl go’s home & posts on Instagram about her experience.

Parents start calling health dept & schools, worried. Health dept calls sheriff, at the time the county had not had any covid cases.

Sheriff dept confronts girl & parents, demand she remove the posts or go to jail, threatened with disorderly conduct!

Family sues sheriff for 1st & 14th amendment violations. Sheriff clams qualified immunity!

Bottom line, sheriff loses, court agrees with the girl.

Pretty ballsy of this sheriff.

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... d-post.pdf
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

fierceredpanda wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:19 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:21 pm File charges (for him and the others) or drown in your own shit, DOJ.
Charges for what? I'm serious. Being incompetent is not a crime. You can't throw "mandatory reporter" around, because he is law enforcement conducting an investigation. Reports were made to him, and he failed miserably at his job. I don't see a criminal prosecution arising from that. Was it deeply and unequivocally shitty? Absolutely. A crime? Not so sure. On that basis, you could call for prosecutors to be prosecuted for exercising prosecutorial discretion.
At what point do they become "accessories after the fact"?

I'm serious too.

In what universe can hiding a case report for a year, and then falsifying it be called 'incompetent'?

It was not "deeply and unequivocally shitty" - it was "deeply and unequivocally corrupt". Period.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

]Officials put the wrong man in a mental facility for 2 years. When he objected, they called him ‘delusional.’

Jonathan Edwards
August 5, 2021 at 4:16 a.m. EDT

Joshua Spriestersbach fell asleep on a sidewalk one hot day in May 2017 while waiting for food outside a Honolulu homeless shelter. He woke up to a police officer arresting him for violating the city’s ban on lying down in public places.

At least that’s what Spriestersbach thought.

The officer actually arrested him because he believed Spriestersbach was a man named Thomas Castleberry, who had an arrest warrant out for allegedly violating probation in a 2006 drug case.

It was the first mistake of many that led to Spriestersbach spending two years and eight months in jail and a mental institution for crimes he didn’t commit, according to a 36-page petition filed Monday by the Hawaii Innocence Project. While locked up, doctors pumped him full of powerful psychiatric drugs, judges ruled that he was unfit to stand trial, and his attorneys ignored his assertions that police had the wrong man, the document claims.

Police, doctors, judges, public defenders and prosecutors all “failed Spriestersbach — and their failure to do their jobs cost Mr. Spriestersbach almost three years of his life — incarcerated for a crime he never committed by a person … he never knew,” Innocence Project lawyer Jennifer Brown said in the petition.

“Every aspect of our justice system played a role in this miscarriage of justice,” Innocence Project co-director Kenneth Lawson told The Washington Post.

The Hawaii Office of the Public Defender did not respond to an email from The Post.

There were many opportunities to fix the injustice, Brown said.

The first came when the officer first found Spriestersbach on the sidewalk. Spriestersbach didn’t have an ID but gave the officer his full name, date of birth and Social Security number. Nevertheless, the officer insisted that Spriestersbach was actually Castleberry and took him to jail. He was fingerprinted and had his photo taken, generating records that could have been used to prove he wasn’t Castleberry, the Innocence Project asserts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ty-arrest/
Lani

Post by Lani »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:17 pm
]Officials put the wrong man in a mental facility for 2 years. When he objected, they called him ‘delusional.’

Jonathan Edwards
August 5, 2021 at 4:16 a.m. EDT

Joshua Spriestersbach fell asleep on a sidewalk one hot day in May 2017 while waiting for food outside a Honolulu homeless shelter. He woke up to a police officer arresting him for violating the city’s ban on lying down in public places.
:snippity:
I thought I posted about this. Anyway, I was expecting a nice big juicy lawsuit to compensate the man. He moved to Vermont to live with his sister, whose home includes 10 acres. That's good because he never leaves the property out of fear that the police will nab him. After seeing the post, I looked for updates. Nada. And it's not mentioned on the Innocence Project website. It may be that attorneys are working on a settlement outside of court.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Includes photo of man he was “mistaken” for.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/05/man-spen ... -15042345/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

It's difficult to believe that they missed the most simple of police procedures of identification check by finger prints.
Lani

Post by Lani »

:doh: I was looking in the wrong places. I found what I was looking for here - https://www.hawaiiinnocenceproject.org/ ... rd-hubbard

What happened was even more worse than I thought.
...instead of his public defender listening to him when he told them he was not Castleberry and Joshua giving the public defender his identifying information, the public defender requested that the Judge appoint three mental health examiners to determine if Joshua was fit to proceed in court – for Castleberry’s crimes.
He told everyone at the hospital (slight exaggeration)that he wasn't Castleberry, so
he was given strong anti-psychotic medication, which caused him to become catatonic. When Joshua protested the heavy doses of medication, the Judge ordered him to be medicated over his objections.

After over 2 years, a doctor reviewed his medical records and learned that Joshua was not on Oahu at the time of the Castleberry crimes. (I don't understand that. Was the doctor looking at records with Joshua's name on them? Was in a medical history interview?) Anyway, the doctor called his public defenders - who didn't respond. Then she contacted the Attorney General, and finally there was a verification using photographs & fingerprints - and they weren't Joshua's.

But wait! There's more! A cover-up! Judge had a secret meeting with the Prosecutor, attorney for the AG, and the Public Defender. (Apparently, the police department wasn't represented at the meeting.) They did not correct the court record and did not clear Joshua’s name.

That's a big cast of characters who harmed him. Those people are shown above in bold. All it took was a quick public records search to find out that Castleberry was in an Alaskan prison while Joshua was in the hospital.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

:eek: What terrible ordeal to go through. I hope he gets paid.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

This is horrible. I couldn’t begin to imagine the effects of the unnecessary administration of drugs designed to alter one’s brain chemistry. To me, that’s even worse than just the lost time.l, which is bad enough.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 am It's difficult to believe that they missed the most simple of police procedures of identification check by finger prints.
I'm sure that it was a fluke; that in every other interaction, the police, courts, lawyers, and medical professionals have a perfect record.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:33 am :eek: What terrible ordeal to go through. I hope he gets paid.
I hope he takes them all to the cleaners.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

/P0rtia’s sarcasm
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:01 pm /P0rtia’s sarcasm
Amen. Lots of people do their jobs by rote and don't give a hoot whether their work is competent. Just go through the motions and couldn't care less about the people whose lives they are impacting.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

no further details apart of what is narrated in this clip

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Fucking thugs.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

was previously posted about, video in article
Bodycam video shows moments before Chicago police officer attempted to tackle Black woman
SABINA GHEBREMEDHIN and DEENA ZARU
Fri, October 1, 2021, 2:27 AM

Newly released police body cam footage shows the moments before a white police officer attempted to tackle a Black woman walking her dog in a closed park, allegedly unprovoked.

Nikkita Brown said that on Aug. 28 the officer drove up to her as she was walking her dog in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago and told her to leave the area immediately. She said that she was walking out of the park, adhering to his instructions, when the incident occurred.

The video shows that the officer identified himself and showed his badge at Brown's request. It also shows that Brown repeatedly asked the maskless officer to remain within six feet of her, citing concerns over potential exposure to COVID-19.

"Please don't. Please respect my space. It's COVID. Six feet," Brown said.

"Respect your space? I'm about to put handcuffs on you," the officer replied.

Brown said she consistently told him, "I am leaving" and "I am walking away," as she actively walked toward the exit, but he got out of his car and continued to follow her.

The officer got out of his car and told her, "You can go to jail," according to a video taken by Brown who recorded part of the encounter.

Brown's attorney identified the officer as Bruce Dyker through his badge.

MORE: ABC News analysis of police arrests nationwide reveals stark racial disparity

A Chicago Police Department spokesperson told ABC News earlier this month, "The officer in question has been placed on desk duty as the COPA investigates the video."

At one point during the argument with Brown -- while she had her phone out to record -- Dyker ran toward her and attempted to tackle her.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/bodycam-video ... 34439.html
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Ben Crump
@AttorneyCrump
·
Sep 28, 2021
In September 2019, Idaho Springs police tased & threw deaf driver Brady Mistic to the ground. They then detained Mistic for resisting & assault, for which he spent 4 MONTHS in jail w/o being able to effectively communicate, before charges were dropped!

Video in article.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2055327? ... WXQuH7CYCE
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:09 am was previously posted about, video in article
Dyker has 24 allegations of misconduct filed against him, three of which resulted in discipline.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I don't know what this is about, but the Sergeants Benevolent Association is very nasty. FWIW. Mullins (the president) has been in charge there twenty years, and he is a serious asshole. He's the one that publicized DeBlasio's daughter's personal information after her arrest at a protest, and he is also known for being misogynistic and homophobic.
F.B.I. Raids Headquarters of the N.Y.P.D. Sergeants’ Union
Investigators also executed a search warrant at the home of the union’s president, a person familiar with the matter said.

Federal investigators on Tuesday morning raided the Manhattan office of one of New York City’s main police unions in connection with an ongoing investigation, according to two people with the knowledge of the matter.

The union, the Sergeants Benevolent Association, represents about 13,000 active and retired police sergeants in New York. Its headquarters were searched as part of an investigation by the F.B.I. and the public corruption unit in the U.S. attorney’s office in Manhattan, the people said.

Investigators also executed a search warrant at the Long Island home of the union’s president, Edward D. Mullins, a person with knowledge of the operation said.

While the precise focus and scope of the investigation could not immediately be determined, the search of Mr. Mullins’s home suggests that the inquiry is at least in some measure focused on him.
:snippity:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/05/nyre ... -nypd.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

FBI raided his home/office this AM.

Chilly letter, eh?

Hope they nail him for whatever it is, racist anti-vax shit that he is.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:32 pm FBI raided his home/office this AM.

Chilly letter, eh?

Hope they nail him for whatever it is, racist anti-vax shit that he is.

❤❤❤❤

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”