bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by bill_g »

That officer needs a chill pill.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:30 am That officer needs a chill pill.
That's how officers (and suspects) get hurt or killed.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Is this behaving badly?

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html
NYPD still using controversial DNA lab for investigations more than a year after City Hall said ties were cut

The NYPD’s use of a controversial Virginia-based tech company for criminal investigations remains in effect more than a year after City Hall announced the arrangement was terminated.

The privately-owned Parabon NanoLabs uses DNA samples to create “virtual mugshots” of crime suspects using “Snapshot DNA Phenotyping,” with criminal defense advocates questioning its reliability.

The lab is one of two certified by the State Department of Health for investigative genetic genealogy. It is also certified for DNA phenotyping, which can help determine a suspect’s eye color, hair color, skin color, freckling, face shape and other clues to their identity.

“The state has certified only two labs to perform investigative genealogy, and NYPD uses Parabon for this limited purpose,” City Hall said in the new statement.

The NYPD issued a statement saying the department would use the technology “responsibly and transparently.” NYPD Deputy Chief Emanuel Katranakis, head of the Forensic Investigations Division, extolled the virtues of investigative genetic genealogy last week, saying the technique has proved vital when cracking cold cases.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:29 pm Is this behaving badly?

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny ... story.html
I'm not convinced that the technique is actually behaving badly, but continuing to do it for a year after you said you stopped qualifies.

The rest is a larger question.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

KHOU: Former HPD captain indicted in 2020 aggravated assault case over false voter fraud claim:
Mark Anthony Aguirre is accused of causing an accident and holding an innocent man at gunpoint while trying to prove voter fraud.

A former Houston Police Department captain accused of causing an accident and holding a man at gunpoint has been indicted by a Harris County grand jury.

Mark Anthony Aguirre is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony.

The indictment comes a year after his arrest in connection with the alleged incident.

According to court documents, Aguirre told police shortly after the Oct. 19 incident that he was part of a group of private citizens called “Liberty Center,” who were conducting a civilian investigation into an alleged ballot scheme.

Aguirre told investigators he had been conducting surveillance on the victim for four days under a theory the victim was the mastermind of a giant fraud, and there were 750,000 fraudulent ballots in a truck he was driving.

Instead, the victim turned out to be an innocent air conditioner repairman.
"Former" is doing a lot of work here:
Aguirre had been indefinitely suspended from HPD in January 2003.
Image ImageImage
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

BLACKFOOT, Idaho — The sheriff of Bingham County is facing felony charges after investigators say he pulled a gun on a group of girls, dragged their youth group leader out of her car by her hair, and threatened to shoot her while holding a gun to her head.
The Idaho Attorney General's Office on Tuesday charged Sheriff Craig Rowland with aggravated battery, aggravated assault, and exhibition of a deadly weapon.

According to a probable cause affidavit, the seven girls, ages 12 to 16, were delivering paper "thankful turkeys" to people around the neighborhood as part of a youth group activity.
The girls would deliver the turkey thank-you notes by taping them to a recipient's door, ringing the doorbell, and running away before the person inside could see who had left the note.
https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/crime ... dcca5b9920

“I’m your neighbor for 30 years, you fucking moron. You don’t recognize me?!?”

If this guy doesn’t move out of this neighborhood real soon, I’d like to form a group to help him see that he must. For some reason, this enrages me more than some of the high-profile bad acting elsewhere.

PS the gun charge is a misdemeanor.
PPS One drink? I think not.
raison de arizona

Wow, reading that article, that guy is a real piece of work. By which I mean, and pardon my French, but he's a fucking asshole! Holy cow!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Racist #!€%.
”I've had drunk Indians drive down my cul-de-sac. I've had drunk Indians come to my door," he said. "I live just off the reservation, we have a lot of reservation people around us who are not good people."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.wcjb.com/2021/12/16/former- ... steal-pto/
GILCHRIST COUNTY, Fla. (WCJB) - Former Gilchrist County Sheriff’s Deputy Trent Freeman turned herself in on Wednesday for falsely claiming she was in the hospital with COVID-19 and receiving hundreds of her colleagues sick leave hours donated to her, according to the Sheriff.

They say she swindled more than $3,700 from GCSO, as she also forged doctors signatures to pull off her scam.

A Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation led to the arrest of the 38-year-old on two counts of uttering a forged instrument and one count of scheme to defraud.

“This was the first time I’ve ever seen anything like this,” GCSO Sheriff Bobby Schultz said.

According to Schultz, Gilchrist County Sheriff’s deputies were under the impression that Freeman was in a coma with COVID-19.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Not a cop, just a dude stopping crime. I dunno, I like crime stoppage as much as the next guy, but I also don't like seeing a cowering dude's head stomped into the pavement. I guess it falls under the category of "effed around and found out", but it doesn't feel good to me. Thoughts?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

This is not going to be pretty, either.

Cops shooting for as-yet-unknown reasons at an current-thought-to-be-unarmed assault suspect in a mall kill not only the suspect but a 14 year old female bystander.

Typical post-police-involved-shooting-incident language is already being deployed:
Asked if the girl was shot by police, Choi said, “Preliminarily, we believe that round was an officer’s round.”
https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2021/12 ... n-custody/
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
tek

Post by tek »

One might think these highly trained, professional law-enforcement officers would maybe think twice about FIRING OFF A ROUND IN A F'ING CROWDED STORE DURING THE HOLIDAY SHOPPING RUSH.

:smokeears:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

tek wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:17 pm One might think these highly trained, professional law-enforcement officers would maybe think twice about FIRING OFF A ROUND IN A F'ING CROWDED STORE DURING THE HOLIDAY SHOPPING RUSH.

:smokeears:
Objection! Assumes fact not in evidence!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

earlier this year
Former Jackson County Deputy Zachary Wester Sentenced To More Than 12 Years After Being Convicted Of Planting Drugs During Traffic Stops
WFSU | By Regan McCarthy
Published July 13, 2021 at 7:03 PM EDT

2018 body camera footage shows former Jackson County Deputy Zachary Wester. He was convicted of planting drugs during traffic stops and has been sentenced to more than 12 years in prison.

The former Jackson County Sheriff’s Deputy who was convicted of planting drugs in the vehicles of people he pulled over has been sentenced to 12 years and six months in prison.

During the sentencing hearing for former Jackson County Sheriff Deputy Zachary Wester, the court listened to testimony from several of Wester’s friends or family who asked for leniency. They argued Wester has played an important role in supporting the local community.

"I have no doubt that you will take into account the person that Zachary is and his contribution not only to this community but to his friends, family and myself,", Wester's wife, Rebecca Wester, said to Judge James Goodman.

One of Wester’s victims, Teresa Odom also spoke. She says Wester’s actions had significant negative impacts on her life.

“Gee Mr. Wester, you’ve robbed me of my credibility. Being a mother and a grandmother for the last three years, I’ve probably missed a year-and-a-half of my grandbaby's life because of this.”

During the sentencing hearing, the judge also denied a request to release Wester on bond while he seeks an appeal.

https://news.wfsu.org/wfsu-local-news/2 ... ffic-stops
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

above story commented with video snippets

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Paralyzed Man-Police Lawsuit

DON THOMPSON
Thu, January 6, 2022, 12:44 AM·

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A 65-year-old Northern California man was paralyzed after being slammed to the ground during a traffic stop where police officers used “pain compliance” techniques and expressed disbelief when he repeatedly cried out “I can’t feel my legs,” according to a lawsuit announced Wednesday.

Police video released by lawyers for Gregory Gross shows the incident and his arrival at a hospital, where Gross is handcuffed to a bed, his nose bloodied.

“You want to grab his arms and flop him up on the bed?” someone asks after Gross tells a medical worker that he can’t feel his legs. They then do so while placing him in a sitting position without restraining his neck or spine.

“Don’t tell me again you can’t move,” a medical worker tells Gross later as he is prepared for a full body scan. Gross ultimately required two surgeries to fuse his spine. In separate lawsuits, Gross alleges the combination of police and medical misconduct left him unable to walk or care for himself, and he will require round-the-clock nursing care for the rest of his life.

He sued Rideout Memorial Hospital in Marysville, along with the University of California, Davis, Medical Center and individual medical workers, last August. The new lawsuit claims Yuba City Police Officer Joshua Jackson broke Gross’ neck. It names Jackson, fellow officers Scott Hansen and Nathan Livingston, and Yuba City. The lawsuit alleges Hansen assisted in Jackson's repeated use of force and that Livingston failed to intervene.

https://news.yahoo.com/california-man-p ... 9861.htmlg
Tiredretiredlawyer

He sued Rideout Memorial Hospital in Marysville, along with the University of California, Davis, Medical Center and individual medical workers, last August. The new lawsuit claims Yuba City Police Officer Joshua Jackson broke Gross’ neck. It names Jackson, fellow officers Scott Hansen and Nathan Livingston, and Yuba City. The lawsuit alleges Hansen assisted in Jackson's repeated use of force and that Livingston failed to intervene.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Witness disputes North Carolina cop's claim man 'jumped' in front of his car and he had to shoot: 'I saw everything'

Sarah K. Burris
January 09, 2022

According to the Fayetteville Observer, Jason Walker was killed outside of his home over the weekend when police say he ran into traffic and "jumped" onto a car. The person in the car, an off-duty cop, then shot him.

Those who saw the incident happen, however, allege that the cop hit 37-year-old Walker with his truck and then jumped from the truck and shot the man. A graphic video (below) of the aftermath has been posted to Twitter with witnesses telling the story of what they witnessed.

Bystander Elizabeth Ricks, who was also present after the incident, got out of her car to try and apply pressure to Walker's wounds to save him, said Keenan Willard of WRAL News.

According to Willard's tweets, Ricks said that the cop who shot Walker didn't make any effort to help or render aid. She said that instead, he was "calling his boss" with the sheriff's office.

https://www.rawstory.com/north-carolina ... black-man/
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://lawandcrime.com/police/court-up ... popped-up/
Court Upholds Firing of Two LAPD Officers Who Ignored Robbery Call to Play Pokémon Go: ‘Screw It . . . Snorlax Just Popped Up!’

A California appellate court has upheld the firing of two Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) officers who ignored a robbery call to play the mobile phone game Pokémon Go. The court ruled that evidence from an in-car dashboard camera system that recorded the cops’ escapades was not improperly obtained. That same recording revealed the details of the officers’ conversations about the game, and they are described in the text of the opinion.

In the hearing before the board of rights, the officers objected to the use of the DICVS recording on the grounds that it recorded a private conversation between them, but the board rejected that argument, noting that while capturing the private conversations of police officers was not the system’s intention, and the department’s own professional standards included a notice that “authorized the use of unintentionally recorded personal communications in disciplinary matters if there was ‘evidence of criminal or egregious misconduct.'”

The board found that ignoring a real-world robbery — not to mention the request for help for their fellow LAPD officers — to chase down a Pokémon character instead “would certainly be classified as egregious.”
raison de arizona

WATCH: Florida cop chokes female colleague who tried to de-escalate Black man's arrest
A police sergeant in Florida has been placed on desk duty after video showed him assaulting a fellow officer who was trying to de-escalate a Black man's arrest.

The body cam video shows Sunrise police Sgt. Christopher Pullease threatening the suspect with pepper spray, and engaging in a verbal altercation with him, after he'd already been taken into custody and placed in the back of a patrol car.

After a 28-year-old female officer grabs Pullease by the back of his belt and tries to pull him away, he turns around and briefly puts his hand around her throat, before grabbing her by the vest and pushing her against another patrol car.

Pullease then returns to the patrol car where the suspect is detained, opening and closing the door, before pointing his finger at the female officer and walking away.
:snippity:
https://www.rawstory.com/police-brutality-2656410384/
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

:shock:

None of the other cops tried to stop Pullease. Perhaps someone did and was out of the video frame. Perhaps the other officers were busy with the suspect.

But I saw several men standing there watching the female officer being assaulted.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

LM K wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 pm :shock:

None of the other cops tried to stop Pullease. Perhaps someone did and was out of the video frame. Perhaps the other officers were busy with the suspect.

But I saw several men standing there watching the female officer being assaulted.
At one point before she was choked one put their hand over their camera. I’ve seen that before and wondered why. It’s purposeful.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:44 pm
LM K wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 pm :shock:

At one point before she was choked one put their hand over their camera. I’ve seen that before and wondered why. It’s purposeful.
No necessarily. It didn't look any more purposeful than his arm blocking the camera while he was touching the other guy's shoulder or when he reached for his shoulder mic. The body cameras are so ubiquitous at this point that the officers don't even think about them except to turn them on and off. Center of the chest is a an area that would naturally be covered by hand, arm, notebook, whatever, randomly with no ill intent. The camera lens on the ones we have here are only about the size of a pencil eraser, if even that large.

That being said, the motherfucker should be sitting at home on unpaid administrative leave until they can get past the union to fire him and charge his ass with assault.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”