Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

AWFUL!!!!!!!!! And he did it to a white guy!!!!!! SCARY!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The crash:

The linked Newsday story is paywalled, here's a free one.
LI police let fellow officer go without breathalyzer after crash that fractured toddler's skull: report
By Curtis Brodner 1010 WINS
August 19, 2022 12:34 pm

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — An off-duty Suffolk County police officer who fractured a 2-year-old boy’s skull when he rear-ended a car with his pickup truck was allowed by his fellow officers to forgo an alcohol test, according to an extensive investigation from Newsday.

Because officers broke protocol and failed to administer a test, the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office was unable to pursue vehicular assault charges against Officer David Mascarella.

The officers involved also failed to notify the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office that Mascarella had refused to take a breathalyzer test, which prevented the DA from deciding to seek a warrant for a blood test which could have verified if he was drunk during the accident.

Mascarella crashed his truck at over 50 mph into a car holding Kevin Cavooris and his two young sons on Middle Country Road in Saint James in August 2020.

Cavooris had slowed to make a left turn when he was rear-ended by Mascarella, who was driving erratically for about a mile-and-a-half before the collision, according to a witness cited in the police report.

Cavooris was thrown into the steering wheel and broke his nose, while his two-year-old son’s skull cracked in multiple places.

The injured child had to relearn how to feed himself and perform other activities he had recently learned as a toddler.

Almost two years after the crash, he still needs leg braces and is unable to run or jump.
:snippity:
https://www.audacy.com/1010wins/news/li ... fter-crash

Suffolk county was under consideration when we chose to move to AZ. The confederate flags and Trumped up cops are one of the reasons we ended up in AZ. It's better here than Suffolk county, no shit. At least here you don't have to worry about "Trump trains" with taped up license plates rolling around your village waving their gunz intimidating anyone foolish enough to exit their abode, while the police turn a blind eye. The ones that aren't in the train, that is.

That said, their numbers are small, I believe. They are just incredibly loud and proud of their deplorability.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

I haven’t searched a story regarding this one yet, but it looks… bad.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

The Mulberry, Arkansas, cops have been suspended. That is a terrible beating forced upon that victim.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:45 pm I haven’t searched a story regarding this one yet, but it looks… bad.
https://twitter.com/naomirhelm/status/1 ... 9087579136
Imma thinking somebody is getting paid..
raison de arizona

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:01 pm The Mulberry, Arkansas, cops have been suspended. That is a terrible beating forced upon that victim.
Looks like veteran officers suspended with pay. Wonderful.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/21/us/arkan ... index.html
Tiredretiredlawyer

Suspension with pay is part of the policies and requirements for due process while an investigation is going on. As far as I'm concerned, the video says it all. Fire 'em.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:30 pm Suspension with pay is part of the policies and requirements for due process while an investigation is going on. As far as I'm concerned, the video says it all. Fire 'em.
I saw the video early on. To me it says three criminals assaulting a helpless man. As a friend said, the man was moving only to grab at the body parts that must have hurt (like his head). As someone else said, the TBI they gave him isn't going to help his mental health issues.

Guardian story — bonus, a story about an officer pulling a gun during a traffic stop on a pregnant woman with kids in the car.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ect-beaten
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I think we may have covered earlier stories on this BSO Lt who made his wife's work-beefs personal. If so, here's the update. If not, the work kind of includes recaps of the earlier installments.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Pumping gas while black

Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

I've driven over a mile before pulling over to find a lit populated spot at night. Never had that happen. But then I'm not Black.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

West Virginia cops rolled up on a guy at his dad's funeral and straight up merked him while he was hugging his sister

NUTTER FORT, W.Va. (WBOY) — A man is dead after an officer-involved shooting that happened at the Amos Carvelli Funeral Home in Nutter Fort on Wednesday afternoon.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/man-dead-af ... eral-home/
This is incredible:
Odell said she was hugging Jason when he was shot.

"I went to hug him because he was upset, and next thing I know they just yelled ‘Jason!’ and they ‘pow, pow, pow, pow, pow,'” Odell said. “I about got shot. I felt the compressions of the bullets. It was horrible.”
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/wa ... smsnnews11
Watering while Black: Alabama pastor's arrest sparks more scrutiny of race and policing

Michael Jennings wasn't breaking any laws or doing anything that was obviously suspicious; the Black minister was simply watering the flowers of a neighbor who was out of town.

Yet there was a problem: Around the corner, Amber Roberson, who is white, thought she was helping that same neighbor when she saw a vehicle she didn't recognize at the house and called police in Childersburg, Ala.

minutes, Jennings was in handcuffs, Roberson was apologizing for calling 911 and three officers were talking among themselves about how everything might have been different.

Harry Daniels, an attorney representing Jennings, said he plans to submit a claim to the city of Childersburg seeking damages and then file a lawsuit.

“This should be a learned lesson and a training tool for law enforcement about what not to do,” Jennings said said.

A 20-minute video of the episode recorded on one of the officers' body cameras shows how quickly an uneventful evening on a quiet residential street devolved into yet another potentially explosive situation involving a Black man and white law-enforcement officers.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Video in article
‘I Thought I Was Going to Die’:
A Black Disabled Man Files $50 Million Excessive Force Lawsuit After Long Island Cops Took His Prosthetic Leg, Broke His Eye Socket

Kavontae Smalls
August 29, 2022

A Black disabled man has filed a $50 million lawsuit against the police he claims used excessive force after wrongly accusing him of a crime he did not commit.

“I thought I was going to die in this situation,” said Waverly Lucas, 48, an amputee who uses a prosthetic leg.

“The only reason they stopped him was because of the color of his skin,” said Heather Palmore, chief trial counsel with the Napoli Shkolnik law firm and Lucas’ attorney.

It’s been a year since Lucas of Long Island, New York was the victim of a violent arrest by Suffolk County police as he attempted to visit the convenience store near his home.

“The gas station I was going to was at the corner from my house that I lived for all my life so you might just go there to get a soda or something to drink,” Lucas said.

Lucas says, he just pulled up to a Gulf gas station in the Long Island town of Wyandach, New York, on Aug. 18, 2021, and as he was getting out of his car preparing to go inside, he was putting on his prosthetic leg when Suffolk County police officers Michael Casey and Michael Renna approached him, asking for his identification and accused him of urinating in public.

“There’s no evidence of that, what’s clear is he had stopped his vehicle and he had attempted to put his leg on to walk into the convenience store and there’s nothing else other than that,” Palmore said.

Lucas began recording the police encounter on Facebook Live, which shows what happened next, when police became physically aggressive with him. According to the lawsuit filed over the incident, an officer placed Lucas in a chokehold, then grabbed his arms and wrenched them. After having his arms pulled to be handcuffed, Lucas was shoved towards the police car and placed into the back seat.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2022/08/29 ... ye-socket/
raison de arizona

“You fucked with the wrong Marine!” What an asshole.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

https://www.petsradar.com/news/off-duty ... pellet-gun

Missouri. I swear more dog abuse occurs there than anywhere else.
Tiredretiredlawyer

My brother and his family lived in St. Charles before moving closer to STL.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I saw WP and WCP (white cop priviledge) in play.

WCP because he thought he could shoot a neighbor's dog with no repercussions.

WP because he could approach a cop without fear of arrest or death.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:30 am I saw WP and WCP (white cop priviledge) in play.

WCP because he thought he could shoot a neighbor's dog with no repercussions.

WP because he could approach a cop without fear of arrest or death.
Possibly but if it were me I'd feel so much rage I wouldn't be thinking at all.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

A little research showed me two things: 1) Officer Trupo is 3rd generation law enforcement, with his grandfather being a damn legend in WV law enforcement and both that man's son and the current officer Trupo having both followed him into the career. 2) Grandpa Trupo died a few months ago.

One need not be a resident shrinky lady to draw some obvious conclusions about family pressure, fitness to serve, etc.

Like the victim in this story, I think Officer Trupo has some hard lessons to learn, but I hope he does learn them.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”