Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Arpaio's Legacy

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Arpaio's Legacy

Post by RTH10260 »

W. Kevin Vicklund

Re: Arpaio's heritage

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I think "Legacy" is a better word than "Heritage" in this instance.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Arpaio's heritage

Post by RTH10260 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 pm I think "Legacy" is a better word than "Heritage" in this instance.
done.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Re: Arpaio's Legacy

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

:thumbsup:
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:15 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:09 pm I think "Legacy" is a better word than "Heritage" in this instance.
done.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

ETA: False alarm. Thanks, Bob!
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bob

Post by bob »

orlylicious wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:46 pm Arpaio was suspended from Twitter and nobody noticed or cared.
Sadly, that's not Arpaio's actual account. E.g.:
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Yikes! Thanks, Bob, will delete those.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke

Post by Luke »

Jordan "Spunk Log" Conradson shares Wendy Rogers' big scoop:

Arpaio.JPG
Arpaio.JPG (71.13 KiB) Viewed 11603 times

Bonus:

Wendy OAN.JPG
Wendy OAN.JPG (27.53 KiB) Viewed 11603 times
bob

Post by bob »

P.S.: Send money.

Arpaio would be a spry 90 if he were to become the mayor Fountain Hills (pop. c. 25,000) in 2023.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

You'll be surprised to find out Fountain Hills skews whiter, older, and wealthier. FWIW.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Make him "America's most incontinent mayor"? :lol:
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:44 pm You'll be surprised to find out Fountain Hills skews whiter, older, and wealthier.
As an Arpaio watcher, I'm not surprised. At all. ;)
Image ImageImage
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Fountain Hills has always wanted a "Constitutional Mayor."
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:44 pm You'll be surprised to find out Fountain Hills skews whiter, older, and wealthier. FWIW.
They do. But do the people of Fountain Hills want to take on the financial liabilities that follow Joe everywhere?

According to Wiki Fountain Hills contracts law enforcement from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Dept. That may or may not be good for Joe. I'd guess it wouldn't work in Joe's favor, esp because he would have little to do with law enforcement as mayor.

Fountain Hills seems to like their mayor,
Ginny Dickey. She's serving her second term. She is very qualified to be mayor. She'll have been a resident of Fountain Hills for 40 years in 2023. She served on the town counsel as a counsel woman before becoming mayor. She's won numerous elections in Fountain Hills. By 2023 she will have served her city as an elected official for 12 years.

It's worth reading Dickey's bio. She's impressive.

Joe would have very little power as mayor in Fountain Hills. Fountain Hills uses a counsel-manager system for city gov. Joe would be one member of a 7 seat counsel. He has no experience working with small gov and doesn't work well with others.

Joe is running on law & order, taxes, business growth, and tourism. Fountain Hills' crime rate is is average. 94% of the town is white. The town doesn't have a problem combating "illegals" or sex trafficking. Most crimes are property crimes. Fountain Hills is a pretty safe city.

Tourism likely decreased during the pandemic, but Fountain Hills is already tourist friendly. Sedona and Fountain Hills are stunningly beautiful. I used to live in Mesa. I hate the desert. But even I found Fountain Hills to be beautiful. Tourists will return to Fountain Hills.

Joe wants to lower taxes? "The town’s budget is and would remain the lowest per capita cost among Valley municipalities." Fountain Hills doesn't have a tax problem. Yes, everyone wants to pay lower taxes. But attracting new businesses and increasing tourism isn't cheap.

Joe cost the citizens of Maricopa County over $178,000,000. The people of Fountain Hills are still paying for his racist bullshit. Do they want to give him a paycheck? How can he argue lowering taxes when county taxes are trying to pay for his bullshit? Anyone running against Joe will bring that up.

By running for mayor Joe reminds his neighbors how far he has fallen.

Essentially, Joe would be 1 of 7 members on a town counsel. He brings nothing new to the town council.

In my opinion, the people of Fountain Hills would rather have a mayor with local gov experience than a 90 year old curmudgeon.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
raison de arizona

I don't believe Arpaio could win a race for dog catcher right now, but if there is anyplace he could, it's Fountain Hills. There are a definite subset of old folks there that just don't give a crap about him costing the county $200M. We looked at houses there this summer, but decided against it. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I expect him to be trounced.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:02 pm I don't believe Arpaio could win a race for dog catcher right now, but if there is anyplace he could, it's Fountain Hills. There are a definite subset of old folks there that just don't give a crap about him costing the county $200M. We looked at houses there this summer, but decided against it. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I expect him to be trounced.
Isn't it sad to see an 88 year old man so desperate for relevancy?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

LM K wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:47 pm Joe would have very little power as mayor in Fountain Hills. Fountain Hills uses a counsel-manager system for city gov. Joe would be one member of a 7 seat counsel. He has no experience working with small gov and doesn't work well with others.

I don't know the Arizona laws governing municipal governments, but I lived in a suburb of San Diego, which has a city manager/council government, as well. For a paper I did for a poli-sci class at San Diego State, I interviewed the City Manager and did some research on his role, vis-a-vis that of the Mayor.

What I found was that, essentially, all real administrative power resides with the CM, not the Mayor. The Mayor is sort of City Councilman at large. I think that the position exists largely because California law requires an elected official to sign ordinances and other legislation passed by the City Council.

The mayor was on the news a lot. The CM, very little. However, all of the day to day decisions on the operation of the city were made by the CM. All of the city departments reported to him, not the mayor.

The CM was paid about twice as much as the mayor, who only made a little more than the other council members.

I forget his name, but the CM at the time (late seventies) was not a career politician. He was a career administrator.

The mayor at the time, was Pete Wilson, who went on to be Governor and US Senator.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Delarin
Verified: ❌ This is not the Delarin you're looking for.

Post by Delarin »

Not the best thing to have on your resume when running a mayoral campaign:

Restaurateur whose business was raided by sheriff gets $5M
The $5 million settlement with Uncle Sam’s owner Bret Frimmel came weeks after officials signed off on a separate $400,000 settlement to resolve similar claims brought by Uncle Sam’s manager Lisa Norton. County officials approved $3.1 million of Frimmel’s settlement. The remaining $1.9 million in his settlement is being covered by an insurer.

Frimmel and Norton were arrested by Arpaio’s office in January 2014 on employment-related identity theft charges that were dismissed after a judge ruled one of Arpaio’s detective recklessly disregarded the truth in affidavits used to get search warrants and ultimately found that there was no probable cause to back up the warrants. Frimmel and Norton maintained they did nothing wrong.
https://news.yahoo.com/restaurateur-who ... 39396.html
raison de arizona

Just add it to his tab, he's still racking it up.
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

The Fountain Hills Times featured an article by Gene Mikolajczyk yesterday (Dec. 8) about Arpaio's run for mayor of the city, headlined "Judgment".

It focuses on Arpaio being "duped" by Dennis Montgomery, concluding:
Arpaio showed poor judgment. He accepted “stolen” CIA records, tried to cover up his ineptitude, violated court orders and then lied. Whose judgment could be questioned – Arpaio’s or people who vote for him?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I saw "legacy" and thought Arpaio had finally died.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Haha, fooled ya.
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

Arpaio on Twitter blocked some jerk*! :crying: (Twice!)

* :whistle:
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

:rotflmao: Omg this is hilarious! Even Arpaio is taken a bit aback.
Joe Arpaio tells the crowd at AFPAC that he has been named the biggest racist in the country. The crowd erupts in applause.

"What are you clapping for?" he asks the crowd. "I'm not!"

The crowd then cheers again when he says he's been accused of racial profiling.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”