Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Manchin says he'll vote against For the People Act

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
Lani

Manchin says he'll vote against For the People Act

Post by Lani »

Manchin says he'll vote against For the People Act and digs in against eliminating filibuster
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/06/politics ... index.html
Washington (CNN)Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin on Sunday defended his decision to vote against a sweeping voting rights bill and reiterated his opposition to gutting the filibuster, declaring in the strongest terms yet that he is not willing to change Senate rules to help his party push through much of President Joe Biden's agenda.

"I believe that partisan voting legislation will destroy the already weakening binds of our democracy, and for that reason, I will vote against the For the People Act. Furthermore, I will not vote to weaken or eliminate the filibuster," Manchin, a moderate Democrat from West Virginia, wrote in an op-ed published in the Charleston Gazette.

Manchin's opposition to changing filibuster rules stands as a major roadblock to Biden's legislative priorities, as current rules allow Republicans to hold up many of the progressive bills the administration supports, including infrastructure spending, federal voting legislation and climate change legislation.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Re: Manchin says he'll vote against For the People Act

Post by Frater I*I »

He should just go ahead and join the dark side, the Dark Lord of the Mitch will reward him for returning him to power... :bored:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
filly

Post by filly »

Frater, I don't know what the end game for Manchin is. It looks like he will assure that the Goopers take back both chambers. Then Manchin, if he remains a Dem, will have no bargaining position, no attention, nobody chasing him down the hall for his latest dumb statements. If he flips parties, ditto. I guess I am missing something here.

I wonder where all of these groups like Indivisible, BLM, etc. are. Folks need to take to the streets to get it through Manchin's thick skull that the majority of this country likes their democracy and want to keep it.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I've heard that He's from a conservative state and he wants to stay elected. There no reason to look beyond that endgame for him.
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 00-21-00.png
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 00-21-00.png (30 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Suranis wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:56 pm I've heard that He's from a conservative state and he wants to stay elected. There no reason to look beyond that endgame for him.
Ex-Senators (and reps) almost always land on their feet. There's a lucrative market out there waiting for them, and they know it. I think it's the power they like, all the perks that go along with being in office.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Manchin confessed at one point that he was holding the conservative line bcause of the contempt with which his daughter was treated for being chairman of Mylan when epi-pen prices went through the roof.

What I didn’t see mentioned in all of that was that she caused a huge problem some years before for her alma mater.

A Pittsburg reporter was interviewing her. She told him she had an MBA from WVU. He called the school to confirm and I guess someone hadn’t gotten the memo. They said nope, didn’t finish.

Reporter published this info. Next thing you know, the school says ‘Oh wait we misspoke. She does have an MBA, now that she’s paid this fee.” Making it seem like, you know, a clerical error.

Well, no. Actually she was quite shy of the mark. But the Uni President was a family friend, a former exec at Mylan, and they went along with her story.

In a subsequent investigation the degree was rescinded and several admin members resigned, including the president. They went to great lengths to cover for the Manchin family.

Why wouldn’t the Manchin crime family align with that other crime family?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:20 pm
Suranis wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:56 pm I've heard that He's from a conservative state and he wants to stay elected. There no reason to look beyond that endgame for him.
Ex-Senators (and reps) almost always land on their feet. There's a lucrative market out there waiting for them, and they know it. I think it's the power they like, all the perks that go along with being in office.
:winner: And, as far as the difference in salary goes...ask Mitch McConnell how much settling for the salary of a Senator stopped him from amassing millions of dollars over the years.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bob

Post by bob »

50-50 vote for cloture. (60 required.)
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

So Manchin and Sinema voted for cloture. What next?
bob

Post by bob »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:42 pm So Manchin and Sinema voted for cloture. What next?
The Democrats' plan is to now craft a version of the John Lewis Voting Rights Act that will attract bipartisan support, i.e, something guaranteed to attract at least 60 votes in the Senate.

FTPA is effectively dead. (Unless the fillibuster is abolished, which won't happen.)
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

For now, I would take it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I am so angry at Schumer. What a weasel speech. "Watch out, I'm gonna do EVERYTHING." He's my senator and I've heard this often enough to know what it means: He will continue on the course he has taken, and will do nothing. He should have announced his next move immediately after the vote, when he had the country (or at last a lot of it) listening. But no, now they're gonna huddle--and leave DC for their huddle, I reckon.

This man does not know how to lead. He is not the person for the job.

I also think Pelosi's announcement of a Jan 6 commission, which has been delayed so ridiculously long, given the givens, was timed to cover for the failed vote. Distraction.

Arm waving by Schumer.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 pm I am so angry at Schumer. What a weasel speech. "Watch out, I'm gonna do EVERYTHING." He's my senator and I've heard this often enough to know what it means: He will continue on the course he has taken, and will do nothing. He should have announced his next move immediately after the vote, when he had the country (or at last a lot of it) listening. But no, now they're gonna huddle--and leave DC for their huddle, I reckon.

This man does not know how to lead. He is not the person for the job.

I also think Pelosi's announcement of a Jan 6 commission, which has been delayed so ridiculously long, given the givens, was timed to cover for the failed vote. Distraction.

Arm waving by Schumer.
:yeahthat: Schumer is a dud. He's nowhere near what we need. Why the hell did Democrats choose him, he's just so frustratingly lame? :crying: :cussing:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

This seems to be the only Manchin thread.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... exclusive/
SCOOP: Manchin Tells Associates He’s Considering Leaving the Democratic Party and Has an Exit Plan
He could pull the trigger if he doesn’t get his way on the Build Back Better bill.
If he does, he'd register as an Independent, but the article doesn't say who he would caucus with.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

“Bullsh*t!”: Joe Manchin Denies Report He’s Leaving Democrat Party
The Associated Press JOSHUA CAPLAN 20 Oct 2021

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) denied a Wednesday report from Mother Jones that he is considering leaving the Democrat Party.

“It’s bullshit!” Manchin quipped when asked about a possible departure from the Democrat Party.

"It's bullshit!" Joe Manchin says when asked if it's true he's considering switching political parties.
— Laura Litvan (@LauraLitvan) October 20, 2021
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
filly

Post by filly »

AP: “Democrat” Party?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Is the story bullshit, or did he just lose the element of surprise?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Maybe there's a (fat) chance that this will cause the rose-colored glasses to fall from Manchin's eyes. I believe he said earlier that he thought he could persuade 10 R Senators to vote for the bill. After all, 10 years ago the Senate voted 98-0 to re-authorize the Voting Rights Act. I think that today's vote was just to open debate on the bill. There is more to come. I hope.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

His reaction is a little bit different today.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Manchin must be feeling his oats with the recent resurgence of coal power due to the natural gas shortage.

West Virginia politicians have never been known for honesty.

Return to “Biden Administration”