Election 2022: Democrats Are Going To Win Again

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:47 am
Foggy wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:03 pm I am trying hard to get past the fact that my state did, indeed, have a red wave.
Waving at you from Floriduh.
Do we dejected Florbowsians have some kind of secret fist bump now? Because I think we should have a secret fist bump now. Or, for those still observing public health protocols, an elbow bump. A three stage elbow bump with a blow up at the end. But totally secret.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

I left Florida permanently in 2007. I've never regretted it.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I left in 74 permanently.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Here in suburban Indianapolis I knew that my votes weren't going to help turn any of the main races blue. Not a single democrat was elected from my area of the state. The county level races were all republicans without a singe democrat running against them. The two judges on the ballot were both republican and it was just a question of whether to retain them. My only compelling reason to vote was that there were 3 or 4 people running for the local school board who are rabid "parental rights" types; anti-mask mandate, want to alter the curriculum to eliminate LGBTQ and equality teaching, and ban books. The one bright spot in the election here is that all of them lost and the three that were elected appear to be perfectly reasonable and maybe a little on the liberal side.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

orlylicious wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:22 pm excellent chance Democrats will WIN both NEVADA #CortezMasto & ARIZONA #MarkKelly, making GEORGIA #Warnock a cherry on top. 🍒
Warnock would be a lot more than that; he'd render Joe Manchin irrelevant.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Program note: The role of Joe Manchin will be played by the US House
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

TheNewSaint wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:39 am
orlylicious wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:22 pm excellent chance Democrats will WIN both NEVADA #CortezMasto & ARIZONA #MarkKelly, making GEORGIA #Warnock a cherry on top. 🍒
Warnock would be a lot more than that; he'd render Joe Manchin irrelevant.
Basically, he'd make it that the Democrats only have to appease either Manchin or Synema, and not have to triangulate between both of them.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
June bug

Post by June bug »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:49 am Program note: The role of Joe Manchin will be played by the US House
Not that I like it, but the way you put it did make me laugh. :clap:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And Sinema has to choose between getting re-elected or getting rich.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

After Mark Kelly's fairly comfortable win, I have a feeling that she will announce, sometime this year, that she's not running for re-election.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Arkansas went red all the way. The good news is that the candidates whom Progressive Arkansas Women PAC helped get elected two years ago ran for re-election without opposition! Eleven of them! All women!

The other good news was that all the constitutional amendment issues were defeated. The marijuana one would have established a constitutional monopoly for retail sales of marijuana.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

A race no one has mentioned yet is one occurring right here in my home district, WA's 8th Congressional.

Long held by Dave Reichert, he retired in 2017 at the end of his 7th term. Dr Kim Schrier ran against Dino Rossi, and she flipped the seat to become the first Democrat to represent the district.

The district was adjusted so that it was more reliably Republican during Reichert's tenure, and it was again adjusted for this election cycle. It is the ONLY Congressional district which has constituents in both western and eastern Washington. It includes the eastern parts of King and Pierce counties, almost all of Snohomish county, and all of Chelan and Kittitas counties.

For this election, Dr Schrier ran against Matt Larkin, a MAGA nut.

It was closer than it should have been due to the redrawing of the district boundaries, but Dr Schrier won.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hooray, Azastan!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I am really tired of voting districts that make no sense except to favor a political party. They need to be uniform polygons with the only exceptions being city, state, and federal boundaries, and natural features like rivers. I'm pretty certain a computer program could knock these out rather quickly.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That’s great news, Azastan. Is she a horsewoman, too? That would be the cherry on top.

In general, this is a year in which we the peeps said Nope to the perps.
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

bill_g wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:21 pm I am really tired of voting districts that make no sense except to favor a political party. They need to be uniform polygons with the only exceptions being city, state, and federal boundaries, and natural features like rivers. I'm pretty certain a computer program could knock these out rather quickly.
It's not quite as simple as that -- here is a website on quantifying gerrymandering by a group at Duke (run by Jonathan Mattingly, an acquaintance from my time at Duke): https://sites.duke.edu/quantifyinggerrymandering/ He points out that gerrymandering is not a binary thing, but a spectrum. It is possible to have standards that ensure fairness, but setting up something that both works and can be sold politically isn't as easy as you would think...
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:23 pm That’s great news, Azastan. Is she a horsewoman, too? That would be the cherry on top.

In general, this is a year in which we the peeps said Nope to the perps.
I don't know about horses specifically, but one of her ads featured her talking about caring for animals, so she's definitely in tune with animal rescue.

She has a degree in astrophysics, and is a medical doctor whose focus was pediatrics.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

In a state like Florida, it's much easier to let the governor draw his own districts and hold the state government hostage until they say OK.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:16 pm :snippity:
The other good news was that all the constitutional amendment issues were defeated. The marijuana one would have established a constitutional monopoly for retail sales of marijuana.
Good to know you're looking out for those hard working street dealers.... :lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

From Frater: Good to know you're looking out for those hard working street dealers.... :lol:
I do what I can! :biggrin:
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

This was an important hold. If Katie Porter can hold her seat, the House may end up 218-217 either way.

Basically comes down to 5 races in CA.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:21 pm I am really tired of voting districts that make no sense except to favor a political party. They need to be uniform polygons with the only exceptions being city, state, and federal boundaries, and natural features like rivers. I'm pretty certain a computer program could knock these out rather quickly.
Certainly. we were doing that in Tucson in the 70's.

Not strict polygons, but coherent boundaries.i had to trick our Fortran compiler to be able to read Census tapes.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

They are starting to count more mail ballots in the CA races, this is what is driving the democrats into the lead there.

Porter and Levin are expected to win their races. Those are a must for the democrats to have a chance to hold the House.

Return to “Current Politics”