The Colonization of North America

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cool! I think "Michigan" comes from a Native American name.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Western Pennsylvania

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monongahela_culture
The Monongahela culture were an Iroquoian Native American cultural manifestation of Late Woodland peoples from AD 1050 to 1635 in present-day western Pennsylvania, western Maryland, eastern Ohio, and West Virginia.[1] The culture was named by Mary Butler in 1939 for the Monongahela River, whose valley contains the majority of this culture's sites.[2]

The Monongahela practiced maize agriculture, and lived in well laid out villages, some of which consisted of as many as 50-100 structures. They traded with other Indian groups who in turn traded with Europeans. The Monongahela seem to have disappeared some time during the 1620s or 1630s before having significant direct contact with Europeans.

Many scholars believe this to be the result of the spread of European infectious diseases. Others believe that most of the Monongahela were killed by or assimilated into either the Iroquois or the Algonquian-speaking Lenape tribes during warfare, as the more powerful tribes competed to control area hunting grounds for the fur trade. Still others claim that two severe droughts, one from 1587 to 1589 and another from 1607 to 1612, drove habitable area.
Iroquois is mostly what I've always thought was the main tribe here, but I know there are several others.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I should have been binging on pow wow songs yesterday, but to make up:

One of my favorites.. Black Lodge Singers from Washington (I think they are Blackfeet).

One of the hottest ones lately, I think, is the Show Time Singers from Pine Ridge, SD
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

On our cruise last month in the Great Lakes, we were on Manitoulin Island, Canada, where several First Nations tribes reside. We had a demonstration of some of the Pow Wow dancing and singing and drumming. They consider their demonstrations practice for the Pow Wow competitions held all over North America.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

In Australia, the Post Office now allows you to place the 1st nations land on the address line to acknowledge the traditional owners.

For example, my address can now be expressed as:

47 Mystreet
Boon Woorung Country, Kulin Nation
Carnegie 3163 Victoria
Australia

(the "Kulin Nation" part is often left off)
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:26 am https://native-land.ca/

Enter your location in the search box and see which indigenous people lived there.

Little Rock, Arkansas: Quapaw.
That is an EXCELLENT resource, and it even works for Australia!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

My area had two tribes over the years - the Lumbee and the Catawba.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

For those who may have an interest, I mentioned in another thread(jack) that the Portuguese had been harvesting cod for tremendous profits (allegedly in the New Americas) before Columbus made his journey. They kept their source (as fishermen do) secret while later explorers were not secretive.

The source for this is the book “Cod— A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World” by Mark Kurlansky. Kurlansky also wrote the book “Salt.” Both are great reads with historical insights from the perspective of how one item, cod or salt, had major roles throughout history.

It’s up to the reader to decide whether they give much credence to the view that the Portuguese and/or Basques were harvesting and drying cod from a far western source before Columbus’ journey.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”