Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Colonization of North America

Patagoniagirl

Re: The Colonization of North America

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Lani wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:20 am Lani, I meant some of the posts - I wasnt clear at all, was I? :oopsy:
Oh, some posts! I thought you meant this thread. :oopsy:
Yeah, but I did say that. I didnt mean it except...start over😁.

I became interested in the subject after reading 1491, and after spending time with and learning about a Panamanian indigenous culture. Also the Mapuche in Patagonia.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34 pm
Lani wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:17 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:20 am Lani, I meant some of the posts - I wasnt clear at all, was I? :oopsy:
Oh, some posts! I thought you meant this thread. :oopsy:
Yeah, but I did say that. I didnt mean it except...start over😁.

I became interested in the subject after reading 1491, and after spending time with and learning about a Panamanian indigenous culture. Also the Mapuche in Patagonia.
My partner and I listened to 1491 during a road trip in 2015. I am not sure we got the whole way through: it is just too damn depressing. On that trip, we also went to the park now titled Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. I was actually a little impressed that the (white, male) ranger tried his damnedest (IMO) to give the point of view of the indigenous peoples involved: not just Custer's opponents, but the indigenous peoples who were allied with Custer.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Heather Cox Richardson does a talk on the history of "Indian Schools". I am only halfway through. She is talking about the schools being split up as to different denominations. Very interesting so far with a back story first of "Indian Agencies".

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

In Canada, Another ‘Horrific’ Discovery of Indigenous Children’s Remains
An Indigenous group said the remains of 751 people, mainly children, had been found in unmarked graves on the site of a former boarding school in Saskatchewan.

By Ian Austen and Dan Bilefsky
June 24, 2021 Updated 11:26 a.m. ET

CALGARY, Alberta — The remains of 751 people, mainly Indigenous children, were discovered at the site of a former school in the province of Saskatchewan, a Canadian Indigenous group said on Thursday, jolting a nation grappling with generations of widespread and systematic abuse of Indigenous people.

The discovery, the largest one to date, came weeks after the remains of 215 children were found in unmarked graves on the grounds of another former boarding school in British Columbia.

Both schools were part of a system that took Indigenous children in the country from their families over a period of about 113 years, sometimes by force, and housed them in boarding schools, where they were prohibited from speaking their languages.

A national Truth and Reconciliation Commission, established in 2008 to investigate, expose and document the history and consequences of the residential schools, called the practice “cultural genocide.” Many children never returned home, and their families were given only vague explanations of their fates, or none at all. Canada had about 150 residential schools and an estimated 150,000 Indigenous children passed through the schools between their opening, around 1883, and their closing in 1996.

It is unclear how the children died at the church-run schools, which were buffeted by disease outbreaks a century ago, and where children faced sexual, physical and emotional abuse and violence. Some former students of the schools have described the bodies of infants born to girls impregnated by priests and monks being incinerated.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/24/worl ... anada.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Churches burn and statues topple in protest at Canadian mass graves
Justin Trudeau says ‘the destruction is unacceptable and must stop’

Charlie Mitchell, Ottawa
Friday July 02 2021, 12.00pm BST, The Times

Dawn was fast approaching when Greg Gabriel, chief of the Penticton Indian Band, was roused by an employee and told that the local church was on fire.

“By the time I got there the church was pretty much burnt to the ground,” Gabriel, 69, said. “There’s a lot of mixed emotions. The church was a fixture in our community since 1911.”

The Sacred Heart in southern British Columbia is one of at least eight churches in Canada to go up in flames in the past two weeks after the discoveries of hundreds of children’s bodies at former church-run indigenous residential schools.

As the country marked Canada Day on Thursday, protesters in the province of Manitoba toppled a statue of Queen Victoria, who was on the

paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chur ... -v6zpp8tm8
Lani

Post by Lani »

canada.png
canada.png (41.81 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Audio podcast in the article
The Indigenous children who died at Canada’s residential schools

Half a century ago, Barry Kennedy was taken from his family and forced into an abusive system that sought to obliterate his Indigenous heritage. Now, after the discovery of more than 1,000 bodies in unmarked graves at schools including his own, he reflects on the traditions that were erased, the friends he lost – and Canada’s new reckoning with that history. Listeners may find parts of this episode, which deals with physical and sexual abuse, distressing

Presented by Rachel Humphreys with Leyland Cecco; produced by Courtney Yusuf and Axel Kacoutié; executive producers Archie Bland and Phil Maynard
Fri 9 Jul 2021 03.00 BSTLast modified on Fri 9 Jul 2021 10.12 BST

In recent months, headlines about the discovery of bodies in unmarked graves on the sites of residential schools have horrified the public in Canada, and around the world – but they capture only part of a multigenerational injustice that has been described as a “cultural genocide”.

About 150,000 Indigenous children are believed to have attended the government-funded boarding schools, which were mostly run by the Catholic church. The schools existed for more than a century and were specifically designed to separate children from their families and their culture; the last closed in 1996. Thousands of survivors have described appalling physical and sexual abuse. Those who died are largely believed to have suffered malnutrition, disease or neglect. Their families were often not told that they had died.

While more than 1,100 bodies have been found so far, many more are expected, after years of work by Indigenous communities to force the searches to take place. Some estimates suggest 15,000 children may have died in the schools. Others say the true figure could be much higher.

Rachel Humphreys speaks to Barry Kennedy, a survivor of the Marieval school where 751 bodies were found, who tells her: “Those are my alumni, and I have to speak to ensure that this will never, ever happen again.” He describes his experiences at the school and how they shaped the rest of his life. And as he contemplates those memories in the context of the new discoveries, he describes the importance of holding on to cultural traditions that the Canadian state once sought to eradicate.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/ ... ls-podcast
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Canada: at least 160 more unmarked graves found in British Columbia
  • Penelakut Tribe says graves found close to ex-residential school
    Kuper Island school run by Catholic church closed in 1975
Leyland Cecco in Toronto
Tue 13 Jul 2021 16.02 BST

A First Nations community in western Canada has announced the discovery of at least 160 unmarked graves close to a former residential school – the latest in a series of grim announcements from across the country in recent weeks.

Members of the Penelakut Tribe in south-western British Columbia said in a statement late on Monday that the graves had been discovered near the site of the Kuper Island industrial school on Penelakut Island, nearly 90km north of the provincial capital Victoria.

“We understand that many of our brothers and sisters from our neighbouring communities attended the Kuper Island industrial school. We also recognized with a tremendous amount of grief and loss that too many did not return home,” said chief Joan Brown in the statement.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... ial-school
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

USA
Lost Lives, Lost Culture: The Forgotten History of Indigenous Boarding Schools
Thousands of Native American children attended U.S. boarding schools designed to “civilize the savage.” Many died. Many who lived are reclaiming their identity.

By Rukmini CallimachiPhotographs by Sharon Chischilly
July 19, 2021

DURANGO, Colo. — The last day Dzabahe remembers praying in the way of her ancestors was on the morning in the 1950s when she was taken to the boarding school.

At first light, she grabbed a small pouch and ran out into the desert to a spot facing the rising sun to sprinkle the taa dih’deen — or corn pollen — to the four directions, offering honor for the new day.

Within hours of arriving at the school, she was told not to speak her own Navajo language. The leather skirt her mother had sewn for her and the beaded moccasins were taken away and bundled in plastic, like garbage.

She was given a dress to wear and her long hair was cut — something that is taboo in Navajo culture. Before she was sent to the dormitory, one more thing was taken: her name.

“You have a belief system. You have a way of life you have already embraced,” said Bessie Smith, now 79, who continues to use the name given to her at the former boarding school in Arizona.

“And then it’s so casually taken away,” she said. “It’s like you are violated.”

The recent discoveries of unmarked graves at government-run schools for Indigenous children in Canada — 215 graves in British Columbia, 750 more in Saskatchewan — surfaced like a long-forgotten nightmare.

But for many Indigenous people in Canada and the United States, the nightmare was never forgotten. Instead the discoveries are a reminder of how many living Native Americans were products of an experiment in forcibly removing children from their families and culture.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/19/us/u ... hools.html
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

It's time for the US to face their history about Indigenous residential schools. I hope we start looking for mass graves.

I find it disturbing that children were not returned to their parents and communities after death. Were children buried at the schools so that they would have a "Christian burial"? Were they buried at the schools in an effort to keep these death hidden from the world?

It's probably both.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

LM K wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:23 pm It's time for the US to face their history about Indigenous residential schools. I hope we start looking for mass graves.

I find it disturbing that children were not returned to their parents and communities after death. Were children buried at the schools so that they would have a "Christian burial"? Were they buried at the schools in an effort to keep these death hidden from the world?

It's probably both.
I have the same questions. Christian burials or not, the cruelty was also that many parents were never told anything at all, not even that their children had died and how they died.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Here is a worthwhile article on assimilation and it includes a 12-minute video that is chilling.

https://scoop.upworthy.com/u-s-churches ... rS4k3ZfgMY

For the video only:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Indigenous children set to receive billions after judge rejects Trudeau challenges
  • First Nations children entitled to government compensation
    Canada ‘wilfully and recklessly’ discriminated against them
    Trudeau in Ottawa on Tuesday. The tribunal ruled the federal government was required to pay compensation worth C$40,000 to each child removed from his or her home.
Leyland Cecco in Toronto
Wed 29 Sep 2021 22.08 BST

A federal court in Canada has paved they way for billions in compensation to First Nations children who suffered discrimination in the welfare system, after a judge dismissed a pair of legal challenges by the government.

Two years ago, the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal ruled that the federal government had “wilfully and recklessly” discriminated against Indigenous children living on reserves by failing to properly fund child and family services.

The tribunal ruled the federal government was required to pay compensation worth C$40,000 to each child removed from his or her home – the maximum allowable under the country’s human rights act.

But instead of paying out the compensation, the prime minister Justin Trudeau said his government would appeal the ruling to “make sure we’re getting compensation right”.

On Wednesday, however, a federal judge wrote that the tribunal’s compensation ruling was not unreasonable.

“No one can seriously doubt that First Nations people are among the most disadvantaged and marginalized members of Canadian society,” justice Paul Favel wrote in his decision. “The tribunal was aware of this and reasonably attempted to remedy the discrimination while being attentive to the very different positions of the parties.”

The court also weighed in on a separate battle over “Jordan’s principle”, which states First Nations children shouldn’t be deprived of care while governments fight over responsibility of cost. The principle was named after Jordan River Anderson, a five-year-old child who died of a medical condition while governments fought over who should pay for his care.

Favel concluded that in both cases, the government failed to establish that either of the tribunal’s decisions were unreasonable.

The battle for compensation dates back 14 years, when Cindy Blackstock, executive director of the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society and the Assembly of First Nations argued that by underfunding child welfare on reserve, Ottawa’s actions amounted to racial discrimination.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... ns-trudeau
LM K

Post by LM K »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lani

Post by Lani »

YES!!!

Now let's fix the US problems. Puerto Rican women, Black women in the US, Native American women, and single White women lost their children and many were sterilized without notice for decades even into the 1970's. And in the last fucking year some of the asylum seekers from Central & South America were sterilized without notice while in custody after crossing the border.

Yes, I am angry. :fuckyou:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Lani wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:50 am YES!!!

Now let's fix the US problems. Puerto Rican women, Black women in the US, Native American women, and single White women lost their children and many were sterilized without notice for decades even into the 1970's. And in the last fucking year some of the asylum seekers from Central & South America were sterilized without notice while in custody after crossing the border.

Yes, I am angry. :fuckyou:
Exactly.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Canada Pledges $31.5 Billion to Settle Fight Over Indigenous Child Welfare System
The government agreed to a landmark settlement to repair the system and compensate those families harmed by it. It potentially ends many years of litigation.

By Catherine Porter and Vjosa Isai
Jan. 4, 2022

The Canadian government announced Tuesday that it had reached what it called the largest settlement in Canada’s history, paying $31.5 billion to fix the nation’s discriminatory child welfare system and compensate the Indigenous people harmed by it.

The agreement in principle forms the basis for a final settlement of several lawsuits brought by First Nations groups against the Canadian government. Of the overall settlement, 40 billion in Canadian dollars, half will go toward compensating both children who were unnecessarily removed, and their families and caregivers, over the past three decades.

The rest of the money will go toward repairing the child welfare system for First Nations children — who are statistically far more likely to be removed from their families — over the next five years to ensure families are able to stay together.

“First Nations from across Canada have had to work very hard for this day to provide redress for monumental wrongs against First Nation children, wrongs fueled by an inherently biased system,” said Cindy Woodhouse, the Manitoba regional chief at the Assembly of First Nations, the largest Indigenous organization in Canada.

“This wasn’t and isn’t about parenting. It’s in fact about poverty,” she said at a news conference, adding that more than 200,000 children and Indigenous families are affected by the agreement.

The deal is an acknowledgment that the child welfare system was better resourced to remove children than to support them in place. The system was the product of discriminatory policies put in place and enforced over generations against Indigenous communities.

Of those eligible for compensation, experts hired during the litigation have estimated that 115,000 children were separated from their families since 1991, said Robert Kugler, a lawyer who represented First Nations complainants on two different lawsuits, during the news conference.

While less than 8 percent of children under 14 in Canada are Indigenous, they make up more than 52 percent of those in foster care, according to 2016 census data.

The case was first brought to the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal back in 2007, by the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society, a child welfare advocacy group, and the country’s largest Indigenous organization, the Assembly of First Nations.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/04/worl ... ement.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

169 potential graves found at site of former residential school in northern Alberta
Ground-penetrating radar, special drone used to find graves at Grouard Mission site

Daniela Germano · The Canadian Press ·
Posted: Mar 01, 2022 1:25 PM MT | Last Updated: March 2

The chief of a northern Alberta First Nation held back tears Tuesday as he said that the discovery of 169 potential graves at the site of a former residential school validates the horrifying testimonies survivors have been sharing.

"Our little warriors have waited for us to find them. Now we will ensure they rest in peace," said Sydney Halcrow of the Kapawe'no First Nation at an emotional news conference.

Finding one grave is too much, the chief said, and finding many is incomprehensible.

The possible graves were identified using ground-penetrating radar and a drone at the former Grouard Mission site, about 370 kilometres northwest of Edmonton.

Kisha Supernant, project lead and director of the Institute of Prairie and Indigenous Archaeology at the University of Alberta, said the discovery supports what survivors and elders had been saying and marks the beginning of a long journey to find answers.

"There's much more to do ... to bring the children home," she said.

Searchers focused on a small parcel of land around the school, also called St. Bernard's Indian Residential School. Fifty-four potential graves were located by the church, a former nuns residence and by an old root cellar.

Another 115 were identified in the community cemetery.

Supernant said the parish provided burial records indicating that children who died while living at the school were buried in unmarked graves. Some of the names provided by the church were included in a missing children registry created by the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.6368924
LM K

Post by LM K »

More graves.

So many dead children, most of whom likely would have lived if it wasn't for those good christian people.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Infant and childhood mortality is a tragedy. The Our World in Data article looked at long historical and multicultural data sets and concluded:
What is striking about the historical estimates is how similar the mortality rates for children were across this very wide range of 43 historical cultures. Whether in Ancient Rome; Ancient Greece; the pre-Columbian Americas; Medieval Japan or Medieval England; the European Renaissance; or Imperial China: Every fourth newborn died in the first year of life. One out of two died in childhood.
I think it’s in that same article, but up until late 1800’s, it was common (if not the average) for a couple to lose 3-4 children before they reached adulthood.

I was (until recently) completely naive to the ongoing Indigenous Peoples treatment in Canada. I had somehow assumed they had done much much better than the US. Apparently not as it would seem the numbers surpass even the horrendous statistics for the time.

I have read a bit on who the early American immigrants were in related books— it was not a pretty time.

I’m unsure if this thread is open to discussions of early human migrations to the American continent, but the sequencing of genomes from human remains has given quite a few unexpected insights. One popular science book on the topic is “A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived.” There are a few of these out and the theories are having to rapidly adapt to insights from new archeological findings and new technologies.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

‘I Feel Shame’: Pope Apologizes to Indigenous People of Canada
Pope Francis also promised to visit Canada as part of a process of healing and reconciliation over the church’s involvement in an abusive system of residential schools.

By Elisabetta Povoledo and Ian Austen
April 1, 2022
Updated 12:31 p.m. ET

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis apologized on Friday for the Roman Catholic Church’s involvement in a system of Canadian boarding schools that abused Indigenous children for 100 years, and said he would travel to Canada as part of a process of healing and reconciliation.

His apology comes after Canada was jolted last year by the discovery of signs of the remains of hundreds of people in unmarked graves, most of them children, on the grounds of the former schools.

“I feel shame — sorrow and shame — for the role” that Catholics played “in the abuses you suffered and in the lack of respect shown for your identity, your culture and even your spiritual values,” Francis said.

Francis spoke during an audience at the Apostolic Palace with 62 delegates from Canada’s three largest Indigenous groups, who had traveled to the Vatican in the hope that he would apologize to survivors in Canada. This was the first apology to the Indigenous people of Canada from a pope and was a reversal of Francis’s earlier position.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/01/worl ... anada.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Pope Francis: The pontiff's 'pilgrimage of penance' to Canada

By Nadine Yousif
BBC News, Toronto

The Pope is making a historic visit to offer a formal apology on Canadian soil for the harms done by Catholic-run residential schools across the country.

Pope Francis, 85, has called the visit a "pilgrimage of penance", and has said he hopes it will help heal the wrongs done to indigenous people in Canada by the Roman Catholic Church.

His itinerary includes stops in the provinces of Alberta and Quebec and the northern territory of Nunavut.

Absent from the Pope's visit, however, is a stop in British Columbia, where the discovery last summer of evidence of some 200 unmarked graves on the grounds of a former residential school led to nationwide calls for reconciliation.

The Pope will be in Canada until Friday.

Why is the Pope visiting?

Canada has grappled with the path to reconciliation - repairing the relationship between indigenous people, non-indigenous people and the government - in recent years.

In 2015, abuses suffered by residential school survivors were highlighted in a landmark report by Canada's Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC).

The government-funded schools were part of a policy meant to assimilate indigenous children and destroy indigenous cultures and languages.

Some 150,000 First Nations, Métis and Inuit children were taken from their families during this period and placed in these schools.

The Roman Catholic Church operated up to 70% of residential schools. There were more than 130 such schools scattered across the country, the last closing in 1996.

The TRC report highlighted the stories of school survivors. Many were subjected to abuse, illness and malnutrition and the TRC called the residential schools system a central element of a policy of "cultural genocide".

One of the report's "Calls to action" was a request for the Pope to apologise for the Catholic Church's role in running the schools.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62216559
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/w ... servation/
The disruptive legacy of colonialism
For generations, profound and painful challenges such as colonialism, forced resettlement, strong external development pressures and exclusion from natural resource decisions have undermined Indigenous Peoples’ agency and ability to manage their lands and waters.

These externally-imposed power dynamics have disrupted countless communities’ relationships with territory, with cultural and spiritual practices and with their ability to self-determine sustainable economies. Not only has this history of disempowerment harmed people—it's harmed the lands and waters they've lived on, and all the life these places support.

When the legacy of these challenges is addressed, Indigenous Peoples and local communities can lead us to a world where people and nature thrive together—as they have done for millennia.

The most impactful and enduring actions we can take

When opportunities arise or we are invited to collaborate, The Nature Conservancy works in partnership with Indigenous Peoples and local communities to support their visions, learn from their stewardship experiences, and amplify their leadership in conserving lands, waters and ways of life.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://native-land.ca/

Enter your location in the search box and see which indigenous people lived there.

Little Rock, Arkansas: Quapaw.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:26 am https://native-land.ca/

Enter your location in the search box and see which indigenous people lived there.

Little Rock, Arkansas: Quapaw.
When I lived in Michigan, it was easier to figure out who lived there because, well, they still live there. I have attended many Pow Pow across the state, including those held on various Odawa and Ojibwe lands (lots of Neshnabé, i.e. Potawatomi, as well).
101010 :towel:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”