Sandusky/Paterno/Spanier/Penn State Sex Abuse Outrage

chancery
Verified:

Sandusky/Paterno/Spanier/Penn State Sex Abuse Outrage

Post by chancery »

[Note to mods: this could, I suppose, go in the college football, or a few other sections. I believe it's best put here, but it's your call]
Graham B. Spanier, the former president of Pennsylvania State University, must serve two months in jail followed by two months of house arrest for his role in a child abuse scandal that rocked the university a decade ago, a judge reaffirmed on Wednesday, according to prosecutors.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/spor ... andal.html
“He made a mistake and he’s going to pay for his mistake, but I don’t consider him to be a danger to society as I would a criminal,” Judge Boccabella said in the Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas, according to The Associated Press.
:torches: :torches: :torches: :torches:

As The New Yorker might put it, Department of Missing the Point.

See for background: https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/wp-cont ... cir-op.pdf
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Sandusky/Paterno/Spanier/Penn State Sex Abuse Outrage

Post by neonzx »

chancery wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:32 am [Note to mods: this could, I suppose, go in the college football, or a few other sections. I believe it's best put here, but it's your call]
Graham B. Spanier, the former president of Pennsylvania State University, must serve two months in jail followed by two months of house arrest for his role in a child abuse scandal that rocked the university a decade ago, a judge reaffirmed on Wednesday, according to prosecutors.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/spor ... andal.html
“He made a mistake and he’s going to pay for his mistake
He made a mistake? Okay, but has he owned them, because it was more than one??? He's not making a mistake -- he's a predator.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Sandusky/Paterno/Spanier/Penn State Sex Abuse Outrage

Post by raison de arizona »

Let's review the charges that stemmed from his original "mistake": grand jury perjury, obstruction of justice, child endangerment, failure to report child abuse and conspiracy. IIRC, those weren't tossed because they were bad charges for what he did, but rather because a judge ruled that the Penn State attorney talked out of turn about it. His privilege is showing. If you ask me. Joe Bob public wouldn't be able to tie this up so long and definitely wouldn't be able to skate on two months in the pokey. I'm actually surprised he is going to serve anything at this point.

Covering up the sexual abuse of children is hardly a mistake though. :mad:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”