Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

January 6 Select Committee

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://news.yahoo.com/ginni-thomas-adm ... 52819.html
Ginni Thomas Admitted She Had No Evidence Of Fraud After 2020 Election

Ginni Thomas spent weeks working behind the scenes around the time of the election to boost then–President Donald Trump. Text messages previously released by the House committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack showed how Thomas sowed doubt about the election’s legitimacy in direct conversations with Mark Meadows, Trump’s chief of staff at the time.

Asked about the strongest evidence she had of the alleged fraud, Thomas responded: “I can’t say that I was familiar at that time with any specific evidence.”

Instead, she said she had been relying on “news reports” and “friends on the ground” who visited polling places and “found things suspicious.”

“I was not an expert of the fraud and irregularities that were starting to be talked about,” she told the panel’s Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.).

Thomas had been part of the crowd that assembled to hear Trump’s angry speech about the election results before a deadly mob of his supporters went on to breach the Capitol building.

A 136-page transcript of her deposition was part of a cache of documents released by the committee Friday as it wraps up its work before the new Congress convenes in January.

Raskin went on to press Thomas about her current views, but she declined to say which states’ election results still concern her. Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) also tried to squeeze more information out of Thomas by reminding her that Trump’s campaign had lost over 60 legal challenges regarding the 2020 election for failure to provide evidence. Trump’s attorney general, Bill Barr, was also aware there was no evidence of fraud, along with lawyers for Vice President Mike Pence, Cheney recalled.

While Thomas asserted that she knew President Joe Biden was currently the president, she also said she had put stock into the fraud claims because so many people around her were pushing them, and did not refute the claims.

Asked by Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) whether it would have swayed her position to know, two years ago, that Barr and Trump’s campaign lawyers were aware there was no truth to the fraud claims, Thomas replied, “I don’t know.”

Ginni Thomas said in her opening statement before the panel that the idea that her husband could ever be swayed by her political views was “laughable” because he is too “independent and stubborn, with strong character traits of independence and integrity.”

Later on, she was asked about some of the text messages she had sent to Meadows after the 2020 election. Thomas said at the start of her testimony that she regretted “the tone and content” of the messages, and expressed frustration at the fact they were made public.

In one of the texts, sent during a press conference pushing election fraud claims that featured Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani, Thomas wrote: “Tears are flowing in what Rudy is doing right now.”

In another text, sent on Nov. 24, 2020, Meadows told Thomas that Trump’s post-election legal battles were part of “a fight of good versus evil.” Thomas replied: “Thank you. Needed that, this plus a conversation with my best friend just now. I will try to keep holding on.”

Thomas confirmed that when she mentioned her “best friend,” she was referring to her husband. But when asked what she and Justice Thomas had talked about, Ginni Thomas said she did not know.

Thomas claimed her husband was not aware of her friendship with Meadows, and only found out when her text messages hit newspapers earlier this year.

She told Schiff, “Regarding the 2020 election, I didn’t speak with him at all about the details of my volunteer campaign activities, no.”

Thomas said it was “embarrassing” to be confronted with her old digital communications.

“It was an emotional time,” she told the committee at several points.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

THREAD: Since I'm all about the women, I'm turning to Alyssa Farah Griffin next. Griffin, a friend to Cassidy Hutchinson and Sarah Matthews, helped both communicate with the committee and was represented by John Bolton's lawyer Chuck Cooper. 1/
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

keith wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:34 pm
Gregg wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:45 pm
p0rtia wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:43 pm Don't think so. But L. Patrick Grey burned a bunch o' documents (faked CIA dox) at home with the Christmas wrapping papers.
Wait, was it Patrick Grey burning papers found in the safe of Howard Hunt, that was found in the White House after the break in? I'm ashamed I don't remember, I uses to be quite a reader about all things Watergate.
Yes. J9hn Dean gave them to him to burn.
Dean has always said creditably that he didn't intend Grey to burn anything; he gave him the docs so that he could honestly say that he had given all the papers in Hunt's safe to "the FBI." NB: He had already given all the non-sensitive dox to the FBI. Grey's recollection was that Dean and, I think, Halderman (could have been Erhlichman) gave him the dox and told him they should never see the light of day. Grey is an idiot; Dean is not. I believe Dean is telling the truth, and I believe Gray had such a guilty conscience that he heard what was not said, or put a nefarious meaning to them.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:37 pm
keith wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:34 pm
Gregg wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:45 pm

Wait, was it Patrick Grey burning papers found in the safe of Howard Hunt, that was found in the White House after the break in? I'm ashamed I don't remember, I uses to be quite a reader about all things Watergate.
Yes. J9hn Dean gave them to him to burn.
Dean has always said creditably that he didn't intend Grey to burn anything; he gave him the docs so that he could honestly say that he had given all the papers in Hunt's safe to "the FBI." NB: He had already given all the non-sensitive dox to the FBI. Grey's recollection was that Dean and, I think, Halderman (could have been Erhlichman) gave him the dox and told him they should never see the light of day. Grey is an idiot; Dean is not. I believe Dean is telling the truth, and I believe Gray had such a guilty conscience that he heard what was not said, or put a nefarious meaning to them.
Yeah, I can accept that analysis.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:16 pm
New: Jan. 6 committee releases further transcripts tonight — including Trump aide Kash Patel, Roger Stone associate Sal Greco, Marcia Strickler
Not going to lie ... just downloaded Patel's to read while I make and eat brunch, to see how far I get before I get too nauseated to continue.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:popcorn:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

This link could go several places, but for now, it purports to provide all of the Jan 6 deposition transcripts, so useful!

https://www.justsecurity.org/77022/janu ... ringhouse/
January 6 Clearinghouse Congressional Hearings, Government Documents, Court Cases, Academic Research

Welcome to this all-source repository of information for analysts, researchers, investigators, journalists, educators, and the public at large. 

Check out our new addition below: A curated repository of deposition transcripts from the House Select Committee.

Readers may also be interested in Major Highlights of the January 6th Report.
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:31 am Byrne should be indicted.

Oh they released the ray Epps transcripts today
https://january6th.house.gov/sites/demo ... 20Epps.pdf
The totality of the “evidence “ that Epps was working for the FBI is that he wasn’t charged with anything.
Which isn’t really evidence at all.
Maybe I’m naive or ignorant of how things work but if he were working for the FBI wouldn’t there be a publicly available paper trail of sorts, payroll records or something?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Lisa Rubin is doing a series of run-throughs of the Jan 6 depos.

This one, of Alyssa Farah Griffen, is epic.

Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 12.29.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 12.29.19 PM.png (91.65 KiB) Viewed 1404 times
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

...Ginni Thomas said in her opening statement before the panel that the idea that her husband could ever be swayed by her political views was “laughable” because he is too “independent and stubborn, with strong character traits of independence and integrity.”...
at this point in the interview, the witness burst into flames and had to be extinguished by 3 responding companies of the DC Fire Department. :rotflmao:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:32 pm This one, of Alyssa Farah Griffen, is epic.
Too also: Griffen is the daughter of WND's Farah.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:44 pm
p0rtia wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:32 pm This one, of Alyssa Farah Griffen, is epic.
Too also: Griffen is the daughter of WND's Farah.
Yep. They get into that at the end of the thread. Unclear who is from the far left, i.e., thosewho know what WND is and want to damn her for the association despite her clearly honest and pro-democracy testimony, and who is from the far right, who want to damn her as untrustworthy.

Life is strange.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:53 am
Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:16 pm
New: Jan. 6 committee releases further transcripts tonight — including Trump aide Kash Patel, Roger Stone associate Sal Greco, Marcia Strickler
Not going to lie ... just downloaded Patel's to read while I make and eat brunch, to see how far I get before I get too nauseated to continue.
Also reading it. Favorite bits:

- In his intro Patel gets all self-righteous and How-Dare-You-Sir in response to Schiff previously calling him out for being unqualified for the positions he held/was suggested for under TFG; so he points out all the experience* he got AFTER he started working for the TFG as proof that he was qualified.

- Patel is one of those arrogant witnesses who likes to take a couple hundred words to say, "I don't recall," when all the world knows he's lying. Always reminds me of OJ, whose version of "I don't recall" involved a detailed account of what he was most likely to have done, because "that's my routine."

An example:
Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 3.24.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-31 at 3.24.03 PM.png (83.62 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

1/ #January6thCommittee latest release includes RNC Chair Ronna McDaniel.

Key: Two direct conversations with Trump setting up false electors scheme.👇

It is among areas Trump faces greatest criminal exposure.

Step 1: Trump and Eastman call McDaniel.
https://justsecurity.org/wp-content/upl ... Daniel.pdf

NEW: Jan. 6 committee obtained email from Katrina Pierson showing rally organizers knew by Jan. 2 that Trump would call for people to march to the Capitol — as it releases the underlying evidence it accumulated during the investigation. https://govinfo.gov/collection/january- ... 0Committee
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:popcorn:

NEW: Former Trump aide Cassidy Hutchinson turned over to the Jan. 6 committee texts with former Trump deputy chief and ex-USSS agent Tony Ornato showing they discussed (im)possibility of Trump going to the Capitol https://govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GPO-J6- ... 000069.pdf
Hugo's on top of things, do wander over and not miss a thing.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234655022/
Leaked Jan. 6 Committee Report Exposes Twitter’s Post-Insurrection Chaos
Company employees lashed out at leadership over an ad hoc content moderation policy that they blamed for enabling Donald Trump's insurrection
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:05 pm

NEW: Jan. 6 committee obtained email from Katrina Pierson showing rally organizers knew by Jan. 2 that Trump would call for people to march to the Capitol — as it releases the underlying evidence it accumulated during the investigation. https://govinfo.gov/collection/january- ... 0Committee
I don't see where McDaniel's statements incriminate Trump in any way. She's claiming the Trump electors should be in place "in case any of the legal outcomes change who won the election". Which would mean that Trump electors would be appropriate. This is the argument that will be made and I don't see how a jury could find that it would be inappropriate if the outcome of the election were to change so that Trump wins then the electors should be for Trump.

Maybe statements by others are more incriminating but I don't see where McDaniels' statements are any kind of slam dunk that Trump and Eastman were up to something.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Here is January 6 Committee document identifying how insurrectionists budgeted Publix heiress Fancelli's $3 million contribution
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

RVInit wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:16 pm
Kendra wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:05 pm

I don't see where McDaniel's statements incriminate Trump in any way. She's claiming the Trump electors should be in place "in case any of the legal outcomes change who won the election". Which would mean that Trump electors would be appropriate. This is the argument that will be made and I don't see how a jury could find that it would be inappropriate if the outcome of the election were to change so that Trump wins then the electors should be for Trump.

Maybe statements by others are more incriminating but I don't see where McDaniels' statements are any kind of slam dunk that Trump and Eastman were up to something.
Not so much her, but there is a problem in that Eastman knew it was illegal and somewhere he wrote that he knew. Somewhere else someone told Trump it was illegal, too.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

some more picks, this Policico article has several quotes from all over
Inside the Jan. 6 committee’s massive new evidence trove
The panel's evidence provides the clearest glimpse yet at the well-coordinated effort by some Trump allies to help Trump seize a second term he didn’t win.

By KYLE CHENEY
01/02/2023 07:06 AM EST Updated: 01/02/2023 04:14 PM EST

The Jan. 6 select committee has unloaded a vast database of its underlying evidence — emails between Trump attorneys, text messages among horrified White House aides and outside advisers, internal communications among security and intelligence officials — all coming to grips with then-President Donald Trump’s last-ditch effort to subvert the 2020 election and its disastrous consequences.

The panel posted thousands of pages of evidence late Sunday in a public database that provide the clearest glimpse yet at the well-coordinated effort by some Trump allies to help Trump seize a second term he didn’t win. Much of the evidence has never been seen before and, in some cases, adds extraordinary new elements to the case the select committee presented in public — from voluminous phone records to contemporaneous text messages and emails.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/0 ... e-00076004
Politico wrote:Gen. Charles Flynn told the Jan. 6 select committee that he didn’t share his brother Michael Flynn’s extreme view about the use of “martial law” to seize voting machines or involve the military in Trump’s effort to remain in power.

“Congresswoman, my brother’s politics are his own, not mine,” Flynn said amid questioning by Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), vice chair of the committee.

Charles Flynn was briefly present during a phone call amid the Jan. 6 violence with Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund and other security officials as they discussed deployment of the National Guard.
Politico wrote:Gen. Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, put a finer point on it, telling the select committee that Michael Flynn’s words crossed lines that could warrant punishment, though he stopped short of advocating for it.

Milley says Trump admin considered court-martialing retirees who criticized Trump

Milley’s 300-page interview transcript is jammed with some of the most explosive news of the Jan. 6 committee’s entire investigation. In one exchange, also about Flynn, he said he had to dissuade Trump administration figures from a suggestion that retired military officers who wrote op-eds critical of Trump should be recalled and court-martialed.

“I advised them not to do that,” Milley said.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

the review by NYT
Trying to Trademark ‘Rigged Election,’ and Other Revelations From the Jan. 6 Transcripts
The Jan. 6 committee released a whirlwind of documents in its final days and wrapped up its work on Monday.

By Luke Broadwater, Maggie Haberman, Alan Feuer and Emily Cochrane
Jan. 2, 2023

WASHINGTON — The nation’s top military officer saw the Jan. 6 attack as similar to the “Reichstag moment” that led to Nazi dictatorship. Aides for former President Donald J. Trump saw their future job opportunities slipping away, and predicted being “perpetually unemployed.” Mr. Trump himself saw the push to overturn the 2020 election as a financial opportunity, moving to trademark the phrase “Rigged Election.”

These were among the latest revelations from the House Jan. 6 committee, which released a whirlwind of documents in its final days and wrapped up its work on Monday. Since Friday night, the panel has released several troves of evidence, including about 120 previously unseen transcripts along with emails and text messages obtained during its 18-month inquiry, totaling tens of thousands of pages.

The evidence touched on nearly every aspect of Mr. Trump’s push to overturn the 2020 election. It provided new details about how some of his top allies lobbied for aggressive plans to keep him in power, while others lamented how the dark day of Jan. 6, 2021, had negatively affected their employment prospects.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/02/us/p ... ripts.html
The gifted link https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/02/us/p ... =share-url
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/1 ... 6-00077656
Revealed: Who visited the Trump White House before Jan. 6
The Trump administration never publicly released White House visitor records. But new data released by the Jan. 6 committee offers a never-before-seen glimpse.
:snippity:
But even these limited snapshots provide a window into how Trump’s White House actually operated: with an eclectic mix of guests, political and apolitical, sifting in and out. For example, as five members of then-Rep. Devin Nunes’ (R-Calif.) staff on the House Intelligence Committee were ushered into the West Wing to review documents Trump intended to declassify, a wholly different set of guests were being brought into the building’s East Wing. As Jan. 6 approached, a number of artists and photographers stopped by the president’s personal residence — the purpose of which remains unclear.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tim Heaphy, who served as chief investigative counsel for the January 6 committee tells
@NicolleDWallace
that based on the evidence as he knows it, he expects DOJ to prosecute.
Nicolle gave him a whole hour. Worth watching.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Prosecute yes, but we want to know WHO?

ps. not the Doctor ;)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Timothy J. Heaphy Led the House Jan. 6 Investigation. Here’s What He Learned.
The top staff investigator for the House inquiry on the Capitol attack opened up about his biggest takeaways and why proving intent is the key to a criminal charge against former President Donald J. Trump.

By Luke Broadwater
Feb. 19, 2023 Updated 2:29 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON — Timothy J. Heaphy, the former U.S. attorney who served as the top staff investigator for the special House committee that scrutinized the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol attack, knew going in that the inquiry would be important.

But it was not until he and his team, including about a dozen former federal prosecutors, began digging into the evidence that he realized the panel would break new ground, as it became clear to him that former President Donald J. Trump had directed a “multipart plan to prevent the transfer of power.”

During the panel’s 18-month investigation, Mr. Heaphy, 59, declined interview requests, but he is now ready to speak out about the panel’s work and its findings.

In a wide-ranging interview with The New York Times, Mr. Heaphy made the case for why the Justice Department should charge Mr. Trump and his allies with crimes and discussed intelligence failures in the lead-up to Jan. 6. He also said that leaks had hindered the panel’s investigation and spoke of how the committee explored measures to compel testimony from recalcitrant witnesses that might have included locking them up.

The interview has been edited for length and clarity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/19/us/p ... ittee.html
Guest link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/19/us/p ... =url-share

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”