Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

January 6 Select Committee

Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: January 6 Select Committee

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yabbut he got it back on appeal.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

How is it that he can that job within the Trump admin (Deputy Chief of Staff is it?), yet still not sever his employment with USSS as not to mess up his retirement? Imagine us small peons taking a lengthy time out for whatever reasons and waltzing back in months later and having one's benefits and retirement stuff still intact. Or is it the status quo for government employees no matter what branch they're in?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:10 am . Or is it the status quo for government employees no matter what branch they're in?
That was the impression I got when McCabe was let go from the FBI just short of fully qualifying for his pension and some sympathetic congress critters were offering him short-term employment to keep him working until he did qualify...
much ado

Post by much ado »

Kendra wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:10 am How is it that he can that job within the Trump admin (Deputy Chief of Staff is it?), yet still not sever his employment with USSS as not to mess up his retirement? Imagine us small peons taking a lengthy time out for whatever reasons and waltzing back in months later and having one's benefits and retirement stuff still intact. Or is it the status quo for government employees no matter what branch they're in?
I think it is because as a member of the administration he is still a civilian employee of the federal government and is still covered by the FERS. So exactly where he is employed in the federal system does not matter.

That is my guess.

For reference, see

https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/4583

and

https://www.commerce.gov/hr/employees/b ... yee-system
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The CNN report above says the guy was elligible for pension after 25 years, and that retirement by July had been in the works.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Kendra wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:16 pm
Doug Mastriano, who was on the restricted grounds of the Capitol on Jan. 6, is set to appear for a virtual deposition with the Jan. 6 Committee on Tuesday, his attorney confirms
@JulesJester
He’s suing to try and get out of giving a deposition. Cuz autopen, srsly.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 00.1.0.pdf
B3A4D51F-BF51-466C-B04F-3DA53197BE24.jpeg
B3A4D51F-BF51-466C-B04F-3DA53197BE24.jpeg (461.85 KiB) Viewed 907 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Legally, can't the Chairman use an autopen?

If so, absent the Chairmen saying "I didn't sign that!" wouldn't the burden to prove he didn't fall on whoever questions it?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

And now Newt!

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

No link yet, but January 6 Committee wants to talk to Newt Gingrich. MSNBC
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Oh my, that letter :popcorn:

Can Fox and Friends get him on the show tomorrow and see Doocy :boxing: ?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The letter also indicates Gingrich contacted Meadows late on Jan. 6 after the riot had been quelled to ask about continued efforts to halt the certification. https://january6th.house.gov/sites/demo ... 0Final.pdf
Delarin
Verified: ❌ This is not the Delarin you're looking for.

Post by Delarin »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:41 am The CNN report above says the guy was elligible for pension after 25 years, and that retirement by July had been in the works.
Well, that is very interesting. Let's look at some facts:
  • 25 years, so assuming it was continuous, that puts his start of government service in 1997, so he fell under FERS.
  • He was born in 1974 (48 years old), so his FERS minimum retirement age (MRA) is 57.
https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services ... igibility/

Under FERS, there are 4 ways to retire:

Immediate - Benefits start 30 days after leaving government service, but he's not old enough for this option.

Deferred - Benefits are delayed until MRA is reached, or age 62. This is possible, but he would not have had to wait for 25 years service. He could have retired after 10 years, it's just that the amount of the benefit would be reduced once he reached MRA. So this option doesn't quite match up with the CNN reporting.

Disability - Doesn't seem likely

Early retirement - this is the only option where 25 years of service is truly relevant. Since he is 48, he could receive retirement payments immediately since he had 25 years of service BUT only in certain involuntary separation cases and in cases of voluntary separations during a major reorganization or reduction in force.

Was he given the boot?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Hi Delarin! :wave:

Would that be subject to FOIA? I would love to know if he was fired. Either way, I am glad to hear he is out of there. I hope they clean house of all the Trumpers. I have never in the past had any problem with any government employee whether they were registered Republican or Democrat or how they voted. But Trump is known to have put lots of loyalists in various government positions, and I don't trust any of his loyalists. One bit.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bob

Post by bob »

Delarin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:44 pm Under FERS, there are 4 ways to retire
I believe there are some exceptions for certain positions, like secret service agents. But I don't know the details.
Image ImageImage
Delarin

Post by Delarin »

RVInit wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:53 pm Hi Delarin! :wave:

Would that be subject to FOIA? I would love to know if he was fired. Either way, I am glad to hear he is out of there. I hope they clean house of all the Trumpers. I have never in the past had any problem with any government employee whether they were registered Republican or Democrat or how they voted. But Trump is known to have put lots of loyalists in various government positions, and I don't trust any of his loyalists. One bit.
Howdy RVInit!

DHS FOIA Exceptions and Exemptions

Looks like the only one that comes close would be Exemption 6.

Protects information that would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy of the individuals involved.

Example of information the Department of Homeland Security may withhold using 6: Social Security Numbers, home addresses and telephone numbers, certain identifying information regarding Department employees.

But that would be a major stretch IMO.

I'd like to know if he was fired, too :think: :clap:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Delarin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:12 pm :snippity:

Howdy RVInit!

DHS FOIA Exceptions and Exemptions

Looks like the only one that comes close would be Exemption 6.

Protects information that would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy of the individuals involved.

Example of information the Department of Homeland Security may withhold using 6: Social Security Numbers, home addresses and telephone numbers, certain identifying information regarding Department employees.

But that would be a major stretch IMO.

I'd like to know if he was fired, too :think: :clap:
Thanks for the link! This is handy. Have I said today just how much I love the Boogle? You guys are the bestest!

And welcome to the Boogle, Delarin! :bighug:
--Colin Kaepernick
Delarin

Post by Delarin »

RVInit wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:17 pm
Thanks for the link! This is handy. Have I said today just how much I love the Boogle? You guys are the bestest!

And welcome to the Boogle, Delarin! :bighug:
You're welcome and thank you also! I've been mostly lurking, but warming up a little lately, thanks to all the wonderful peeps here. :grouphug:

Keep in mind that those FOIA rules only apply to DHS, other department/agency exemptions may differ (but prolly not by much). I just searched for "FOIA exceptions" and that one happened to be at the top of the results.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

bob wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:11 pm :snippity:
I believe there are some exceptions for certain positions, like secret service agents. But I don't know the details.
Air traffic controller....after 10 years mandatory retirement, full benefits....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Delarin wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:44 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:41 am The CNN report above says the guy was elligible for pension after 25 years, and that retirement by July had been in the works.
:snippity:
For the record: I did also see a different source saying 30 years of service. :shrug:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

could become a subject of interest
Ginni Thomas pressed Wisconsin lawmakers to overturn Biden’s 2020 victory
The conservative activist and wife of the Supreme Court justice emailed lawmakers in two states in the weeks after the election

By Emma Brown
September 1, 2022 at 10:58 a.m. EDT

Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, the conservative activist and wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, pressed lawmakers to overturn Joe Biden’s 2020 victory not only in Arizona, as previously reported, but also in a second battleground state, Wisconsin, according to emails obtained under state public-records law.

The Washington Post reported this year that Ginni Thomas emailed 29 Arizona state lawmakers, some of them twice, in November and December 2020. She urged them to set aside Biden’s popular-vote victory and “choose” their own presidential electors, despite the fact that the responsibility for choosing electors rests with voters under Arizona state law.

The new emails show that Thomas also messaged two Republican lawmakers in Wisconsin: state Sen. Kathy Bernier, then chair of the Senate elections committee, and state Rep. Gary Tauchen. Bernier and Tauchen received the email at 10:47 a.m. on Nov. 9, virtually the same time the Arizona lawmakers received a verbatim copy of the message from Thomas. The Bernier email was obtained by The Post, and the Tauchen email was obtained by the watchdog group Documented and provided to The Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investig ... r-tauchen/
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Appalling behavior from the spouse of a SCOTUS justice. The same thing that'll protect her from ramifications.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

New—

Enrique Tarrio's lawyer files a notice of withdrawal in the Jan. 6 civil case, saying that his client will represent himself pro se.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Doug Mastriano, Trump-backed Republican running for Pennsylvania governor, sues January 6 committee

Charles R. Davis,Kelsey Vlamis
Fri, September 2, 2022 at 12:32 AM

Pennsylvania state Sen. Doug Mastriano is suing the January 6 committee.

Mastriano was the Trump legal team's "point person" for a 2020 fake elector scheme.

The GOP candidate for governor also chartered buses to bring people to Washington on January 6.

Pennsylvania Republican State Sen. Doug Mastriano is suing the congressional committee that is investigating his role in the January 6 insurrection and efforts to overturn the 2020 election, his attorney told Insider.

The existence of the lawsuit, filed Thursday in federal court, was first reported by Politico.

Timothy Parlatore, a criminal defense attorney who is representing Mastriano, told Insider he filed the lawsuit because he does not believe the January 6 committee, as constituted, has the legal right to compel witnesses to appear without what his legal complaint refers to as a "properly appointed" Republican member signing off.

The complaint names Reps. Liz Cheney and Adam Kinzinger, both Republicans who sit on the committee, as only "nominally members of the Republican party" and claims the two "follow ideologies that are inconsistent with their own party, instead choosing to pursue the priorities of the Democratic Caucus." Thus, the complaint argues, there is no ranking minority member on the committee.

The complaint lists all the members of the committee as defendants, in addition to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who rejected two of House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy's proposed committee members.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/doug-mastria ... 02499.html

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”