Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

January 6 Select Committee

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: January 6 Commission

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

As I mentioned a few days ago, Tribe noted there are two "OLC" opinions from 1987 and 2008 that DOJ isn't supposed to prosecute when executive privilege has been asserted.
I've lost track. Has Executive Privilege actually been asserted in these specific instances?
bob

Post by bob »

tek wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:05 pmHas Executive Privilege actually been asserted in these specific instances?
Yes:

Bannon (via his counsel) is relying on the former president's (via his counsel) invocation.
Image ImageImage
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MARKS, Miss. (WMC) - Congressman Bennie Thompson says he plans to file contempt of Congress against Mark Meadows for failing to show up for depositions Friday with the House select committee investigating the January 6 Capitol riot.

Meadows is former President Donald Trump’s former chief of staff.

Thompson says he plans to file a Contempt of Court charge next week. When discussing the January 6 investigation, Thompson says this process is about providing a path for this to “not happen again.”

“We are a democracy and we have to set the standard. What happened on January 6 is not who we are as a democracy or a country,” Thompson said.

Thompson says he plans to be in court November 30 after a federal appeals court intervened Thursday to temporarily block the National Archives from releasing Trump’s White House records.

Copyright 2021 WMC. All rights reserved.
tek

Post by tek »

bob wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:12 pm Bannon (via his counsel) is relying on the former president's (via his counsel) invocation.
Cool cool, Bannon's attorney is relying on Trump's attorney's statement that Trump is asserting privilege.

Has the former President or his counsel filed anything in this claim of privilege?

Not trying to be an ass, it seems there is process for doing this..
filly

Post by filly »

tek wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:24 pm
bob wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:12 pm Bannon (via his counsel) is relying on the former president's (via his counsel) invocation.
Cool cool, Bannon's attorney is relying on Trump's attorney's statement that Trump is asserting privilege.

Has the former President or his counsel filed anything in this claim of privilege?

Not trying to be an ass, it seems there is process for doing this..
He filed a lawsuit regarding basically all presidential papers and I have seen many reports that he “ordered” all these thugs not to testify. There are probably written commands as well but I don’t have the time to search right now.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

filly wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:38 pm ... He filed a lawsuit regarding basically all presidential papers and I have seen many reports that he “ordered” all these thugs not to testify. ...
So, if Trump indeed influenced Bannon not to comply with a subpoena, that would be a violation of 18 U.S. Code § 1505 - Obstruction of proceedings before departments, agencies, and committees.
Whoever corruptly, or by threats or force, or by any threatening letter or communication influences, obstructs, or impedes or endeavors to influence, obstruct, or impede the due and proper administration of the law under which any pending proceeding is being had before any department or agency of the United States, or the due and proper exercise of the power of inquiry under which any inquiry or investigation is being had by either House, or any committee of either House or any joint committee of the Congress—
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Joe Biden has evicerated Executive Privilege.

There are a lot of Republicans eager to hear testimony from Ron Klain and Jake Sullivan when we take back the House.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If trump wins the argument (stay with me) that a former prez still has expriv, what happens when the Rs take back the House and start a Select Committee to investigate H. Biden's laptop and J. Biden claims expriv?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Or Hilary again for something she did at SOS many, many years ago.
101010 :towel:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:22 pm If trump wins the argument (stay with me) that a former prez still has expriv, what happens when the Rs take back the House and start a Select Committee to investigate H. Biden's laptop and J. Biden claims expriv?
Haven’t ya noticed there’s different rules when they’re in power? Ya know, like Supreme Court Justices & filibuster rules.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Hay nao, what's the fun in being employed by a crime family if you have to testify against them later? Poor Smelly Man, if he won't bathe in jail they can just hose him down for a while.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Kendra wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:02 pm
Joe Biden has evicerated Executive Privilege.

There are a lot of Republicans eager to hear testimony from Ron Klain and Jake Sullivan when we take back the House.
*eviscerated”

Sigh….
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

No. He means "e Vicer ated." Meaning this has turned Executive Privilege into a Vicar.

Looks pretty safe to me,
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

Not-the-brightest Jordan is referring to two current White House staffers serving the current president. Even assuming Republicans retake a congressional chamber in 2023, still-President Biden could still invoke executive privilege.

So Jordan must be referring to 2025 (2029?) or some other point when there's a new president who won't assert the privilege on Biden's behalf. Or: Jordan must not be that bright.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm going with the latter.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

tek wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:24 pm Not trying to be an ass, it seems there is process for doing this..
Given that the requested testimony and documents potentially go beyond even the furthest extent of what Trump's lawyers might claim is covered by the executive privilege, the obligation to show up to answer questions, claiming executive privilege on a question by question basis (which privilege - if it exists at all - would likely be limited to communications directly with Trump and his immediate subordinates about matters of governmental - not electoral - concern) and produce a privilege log, providing some basis for the privilege assertion and producing any unprivileged documents, is almost absolute under the law. I can certainly see reasons not to prosecute someone who shows up and raises, at the behest of the executive (or former executive), ultimately unsuccessful privilege claims. That is vastly different from someone who simply blows off the subpoena.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:07 pm Perp walk!! I want to see a perp walk!!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Mr. Meadows has failed to answer even the most basic questions, including whether he was using a private cell phone to communicate on January 6th, and where his text messages from that day are.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

No fan of Stephanie's, but the interview was interesting. She should have spoken up after, say, January 6th.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Sorry, all I got is FB and too lazy to find it elsewhere.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m always shocked again when I realize that Ms. Farrah s not a brainless Bimbo.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:30 pm I’m always shocked again when I realize that Ms. Farrah s not a brainless Bimbo.
Objection, assumes facts not in evidence.... :biggrin:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Kendra wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:22 pm

Sorry, all I got is FB and too lazy to find it elsewhere.
I don't think that there is any way that Pence would be able to mount a serious challenge to Trump. Even in the primary, where he only has to convince Republicans, he has no chance. He is considered a traitor by the Trump base, which seems to hold a majority among registered Republicans. He is dead to them. Besides, he has the personality of a cinder block.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”