January 6 Select Committee

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: January 6 Select Committee

Post by RTH10260 »

Greatgrey wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:58 pm Another win, Court rejects “John Doe’s” request to keep his phone records private.

(I’m old enuf to remember when Sharon tried filing under a pseudonym.)

https:// twitter.com/MikeScarcella/status/1483949492055519234
That sounded like partial sovcit'ery. How would anonymity be granted when the requested action would have required the phone number to get listed?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

sounds like a conspiracy and hiding stuff from the public record
Trump held secret meetings in days before Capitol attack, ex-press secretary tells panel
Stephanie Grisham gave more significant details than expected about what Trump was doing before 6 January, sources say

Hugo Lowell in Washington
Thu 20 Jan 2022 07.00 GMT

The former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham told the House select committee investigating the Capitol attack that Donald Trump hosted secret meetings in the White House residence in days before 6 January, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

The former senior Trump aide also told House investigators that the details of whether Trump actually intended to march to the Capitol after his speech at the Ellipse rally would be memorialized in documents provided to the US Secret Service, the sources said.

The select committee’s interview with Grisham, who was Melania Trump’s chief of staff when she resigned on 6 January, was more significant than expected, the sources said, giving the panel new details about the Trump White House and what the former US president was doing before the Capitol attack.

Grisham gave House investigators an overview of the chaotic final weeks in the Trump White House in the days leading up to the Capitol attack, recalling how the former president held off-the-books meetings in the White House residence, the sources said.

The secret meetings were apparently known by only a small number of aides, the sources said. Grisham recounted that they were mostly scheduled by Trump’s chief of staff, Mark Meadows, and that the former chief usher, Timothy Harleth, would wave participants upstairs, the sources said.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ie-grisham
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Why the secrecy? If the candidate was meeting with his advisors on election issues, there is no need of hiding it. Can be part of his public calendar, and having his guests at in his private chambers seems reasonable. What other undocumented "secret meetings" did the former guy have in his "executive time" ?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just reported on air at CNN. J6 Committee wants to talk to Ivanka...

:shark2:
filly

Post by filly »

Remember when SCOTUS decided Bill Clinton’s Secret Service assignees had to testify to a grand jury? Would be nice if Garland had a grand jury.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:18 pm Just reported on air at CNN. J6 Committee wants to talk to Ivanka...

:shark2:
Liz Dye
@5DollarFeminist
·
34m
GLENDOWER
I can call spirits from the vasty deep.

HOTSPUR
Why, so can I, or so can any man,
But will they come when you do call for them?

· 50m
BREAKING: Jan. 6 committee chair Bennie Thompson says the panel expects to next ask Ivanka Trump to cooperate with the investigation
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Ivana Kushner says “who?”.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
realist

Post by realist »

Someone posted above that Sidney Powell was subpoenaed and plans to testify before the January 6 sommittee. It appears that she sees this an an opportunity to spout more or her unfounded voter fraud nonsense. I'm guessing there may be some of that allowed but not in the way she thinks or hopes.

Image X 4
Image X 32
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

To date the mantra is there was fraud, everyone knows it, just look at xyz. The burden is on you to find this proof “everyone” knows about. Machines argle flipped votes bargle Chavez. See! Everyone knows.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Hannity texted Kayleigh a five point plan for talking to Trump on January 7th
Two of the points:
1. No more stolen election talk
2. Yes, impeachment and the 25th amendment are real, and many people will quit
Kayleigh responds with “Love that. Thank you. That is the playbook”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

“Chris Miller… has testified under oath that the President never contacted him at any time on January 6th, and never, at any time, issued him any order to deploy the national guard…”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Still no response from Trump? Or did I miss it?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

New- Statement from
@IvankaTrump
Spokesperson to
@CBSNews
on January 6th committee request to cooperate w/its inquiry.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm sure the Committee knows that, Mrs Kushner. I believe they may be wanting to discuss other stuff than your lack of speaking and a weak public statement.
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:32 am Thanks for clarifying that -- I had read the NYT article and even though they noted only Thomas dissented, every single quote they issued from Justice Bart O'K read like it came from a dissent and it left me all :confuzzled: :shrug:
Stupid court jargon due to the procedural nature of what was actually before SCOTUS.

The repeached Florida Man filed in SCOTUS an application to stay the mandate (that is, pause the circuit court's ruling) and for injunctive relief (that is, prevent the archivist's releasing the documents).

Because the application was denied, we know at least five justices voted against it. Thomas told us he voted to grant the application. So there are zero to three justices who possibly also could have voted grant the application.

And Kavanaugh filed a separate statement (that is, a statement separate from the denial order). Kavanaugh didn't explicitly say he would have granted it, but (IMO) appears to be saying Kavanaugh would have voted to grant if it wasn't such a garbage application. Which is basically an invitation to try again (or do better the next time).

Now this particular batch of documents is done-zo: they've been released. So this very talky order (and separate statement) sound like primers if there's another batch requested.
Image ImageImage
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Washington (CNN)Trump campaign officials, led by Rudy Giuliani, oversaw efforts in December 2020 to put forward illegitimate electors from seven states that Trump lost, according to three sources with direct knowledge of the scheme.

The sources said members of former President Donald Trump's campaign team were far more involved than previously known in the plan, a core tenet of the broader plot to overturn President Joe Biden's victory when Congress counted the electoral votes on January 6.

Giuliani and his allies coordinated the nuts-and-bolts of the process on a state-by-state level, the sources told CNN. One source said there were multiple planning calls between Trump campaign officials and GOP state operatives, and that Giuliani participated in at least one call. The source also said the Trump campaign lined up supporters to fill elector slots, secured meeting rooms in statehouses for the fake electors to meet on December 14, 2020, and circulated drafts of fake certificates that were ultimately sent to the National Archives.

Trump and some of his top advisers publicly encouraged the "alternate electors" scheme in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Michigan, Arizona, Wisconsin, Nevada and New Mexico. But behind the scenes, Giuliani and Trump campaign officials actively choreographed the process, the sources said.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/20/politics ... index.html
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

One America News anchor Christina Bobb assisted Rudy Giuliani on the Trump campaign’s outlandish plan to submit rival Republican elector slates to affirm then-President Donald Trump’s victory in five states President Joe Biden won, according to The Washington Post.

The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol attack are now focusing heavily on the origins of the rival Trump electors, seeing if it was all part of an orchestrated campaign assembled by the Trump team.

While the operation was conducted in plain sight in Dec. 2020, and cited by right-wing media and campaign officials at the time as necessary for Trump’s legal efforts, the behind-the-scenes operation led by Giuliani is now gathering attention.

“The campaign scrambled to help electors gain access to Capitol buildings, as is required in some states, and to distribute draft language for the certificates that would later be submitted to Congress, according to the former campaign officials and party leaders,” the Post reported. “The campaign also worked to find replacements for the electors who were unable to participate, or unwilling.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AASYTRn
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congre ... an-6-docs/
Docs incoming: The Jan. 6 select committee has started receiving documents from former President Donald Trump’s White House. So far, that includes at least four notable items, according to a person familiar with the document production: two drafts of tweets Trump ultimately sent on Jan. 5, a legal memo and a note that was handwritten on White House stationery.

The documents suggest that the committee will get a wide variety of materials – some of which may be quotidian.

What’s in the records: The memo reflects arguments that John Eastman, a lawyer allied with Trump, was making at the time, according to the person familiar with the document production. In the days before Jan. 6, Eastman focused on arguing that then-Vice President Mike Pence had the power to refuse to certify the electoral count, but he failed to persuade Pence.

It’s unclear who wrote the memo the committee obtained, which draft tweets it obtained or what the handwritten note said.

How we got here: The Jan. 6 committee asked the National Archives several months ago to furnish documents from the Trump White House. Trump and his legal team went to court to block the order. The Supreme Court sided with the select committee Wednesday, ruling that the Archives had to turn over the materials.
tek

Post by tek »

Nice to see them use an everyday word like "quotidian"

:batting:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

New: Jan. 6 committee Bennie Thompson tells me “oh yes” the panel’s interview with former Trump White House aide Stephanie Grisham was significant and yielded new information
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/2 ... nes-527572
Among the records that Donald Trump’s lawyers tried to shield from Jan. 6 investigators are a draft executive order that would have directed the defense secretary to seize voting machines and a document titled “Remarks on National Healing.”

POLITICO has reviewed both documents. The text of the draft executive order is published here for the first time.

The executive order – which also would have appointed a special counsel to probe the 2020 election – was never issued, and the remarks were never delivered. Together, the two documents point to the wildly divergent perspectives of White House advisers and allies during Trump’s frenetic final weeks in office.

It’s not clear who wrote either document. But the draft executive order is dated Dec. 16, 2020, and is consistent with proposals that lawyer Sidney Powell made to the then-president. On Dec. 18, 2020, Powell, former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn, former Trump administration lawyer Emily Newman, and former Overstock.com CEO Patrick Byrne met with Trump in the Oval Office.

In that meeting, Powell urged Trump to seize voting machines and to appointher as a special counsel to investigate the election, according to Axios.

A spokesperson for the House’s Jan. 6 select committee confirmed earlier Friday that the panel had received the last of the documents that Trump’s lawyers tried to keep under wraps and later declined to comment for this story on these two documents.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I am listening to CNN where some legal pundits are discussing those fake elector letters sent to the National Archives. They have an interesting take on the issue of those fake electors that puts it all in perspective.

Since I'm not a lawyer, and sometimes I know that I don't communicate in as precise language as lawyers tend to communicate, please take this as just a layman's take on the legal discussion. I will do my best to accurately state what I believe I heard them say.

So, they are not discussing whether each action, in and of itself, is strictly legal or illegal. They are looking at the series of actions that took place, connecting the dots on who asked who to do what, and then that person or group doing something.

The Trump campaign initiated the request for the seven states to submit Trump electors. They requested Eastman to write a memo that outlined the steps everyone would use. And they requested Mike Pence to use all of this information, including the Trump electors submitted to the National Archives, as his justification for not counting Biden electors on Jan 6.

So, their take was essentially that those fake electors were part of a total conspiracy to deny the certification of Biden as president-elect and declare Trump to be the president-elect. The really didn't go into any discussion as to the form of those fake electors, i.e. did they "do it right" as in "a perfect actual forgery". They simply discussed it in terms of putting all of these actions in perspective by connecting all the dots - so and so asked who and who to do this step - and who and who did, in fact do that step (regardless of how well they did it, they still did it).

The consensus when looking at it from the point of view of Eastman coming up with the plan, the Trump campaign asking various people to complete their particular step in the plan, and the fact that virtually every step was completed, with the exception of Pence - he was the one who did not complete the step Trump asked. From that point of view they say the submission of the fake elector records is another piece of evidence of the attempt to overturn the election, whether executed well or not executed well.

I think I have basically in layman's terms conveyed what I heard "legal experts" (sorry, I neglected to catch their names) said during this discussion on CNN.

For what it's worth.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:31 pm https://www.politico.com/news/2022/01/2 ... nes-527572
Among the records that Donald Trump’s lawyers tried to shield from Jan. 6 investigators are a draft executive order that would have directed the defense secretary to seize voting machines and a document titled “Remarks on National Healing.”
:snippity:
What is the chane that the DOD would have followed thru with that order? Especially considering the fact that voting machines were state and county assets?

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”