Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

January 6 Select Committee

Walt Tuttle
Verified:

Post by Walt Tuttle »

So Trump runs from federal prison. Wins. And then pardons himself. :?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I don’t see any judge sentencing Trump to actual prison. He would get home confinement if anything. And that is only if Garland charges him immediately or one year ago so he could possibly stand trial before becoming President again.

I am sick to my stomach.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

RVInit wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:09 pm I don’t see any judge sentencing Trump to actual prison. He would get home confinement if anything. And that is only if Garland charges him immediately or one year ago so he could possibly stand trial before becoming President again.

I am sick to my stomach.
They'd have to confiscate his passports (yes, plural) and ground his fantabulous aereoplane too also.

I would hazard a guess that if he is convicted at a criminal trial, that he might get a pefunctory sentence in a correctional institution depending on the severity of the crimes. I suspect that there are enough minimum security prisons around that could house the Secret Service and him for the weekends that he serves his sentences. Oh, and tack on the 14th Amendment as part of the sentence.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Hugo Lowell @hugolowell wrote: The Guardian: Trump has been counseled that he might not need to cooperate with the Jan. 6 committee depending on the results of the midterm elections — since any contempt referral would almost certainly be withdrawn by a House GOP majority.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
June bug

Post by June bug »

1. Whatever Congress does or doesn’t do, it’s only a referral. DOJ decides whether or not to charge him with contempt.

2. Also, DOJ doesn’t need a referral from Congress. They can subpoena him themselves…if they choose to.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

House January 6 panel grants Trump’s request for extension to subpoena
The ex-president sought more time to produce responsive records and cooperate with the committee’s Capitol attack investigation

Hugo Lowell in Washington
Sat 5 Nov 2022 00.40 GMT

Donald Trump responded to the House January 6 select committee’s subpoena deadline for documents with a letter that sought more time to produce responsive records and cooperate with the investigation into the Capitol attack, according to a source familiar with the matter and a statement from the panel.

The details of the former president’s requests were not clear. But the select committee, appearing to grant Trump an extension, informed Trump’s lawyers that he must produce documents next week and that the summons for his appearance under oath remains in place.

“We have received correspondence from the former president and his counsel in connection with the select committee’s subpoena. We have informed the former president’s counsel that he must begin producing records no later than next week and remains under subpoena for deposition testimony,” the select committee said.

The letter from Trump’s lawyers appears to indicate that the former president is engaging in negotiations with the select committee to stave off the threat of a potential contempt of Congress referral to the justice department, while at the same time slow-walking his cooperation.

Trump has been counseled in recent days that he might not need to cooperate with the panel, depending on the results of the midterm elections next Tuesday, the source said, since any contempt referral would almost certainly be withdrawn by Republicans if they take control of Congress in January.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-subpoena
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

They're never going to see them anyway.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/08/politics ... index.html
The House select committee investigating January 6 on Monday interviewed the driver of then-President Donald Trump’s presidential vehicle on the day of the US Capitol attack, multiple sources tell CNN.

In recent days, the panel has interviewed a growing number of Secret Service agents and officials as part of its investigation, including the one-time head of former Vice President Mike Pence’s security detail, Tim Giebels; former Secret Service agent John Gutsmiedl; agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi; and the Secret Service agent who was in the lead car of Trump’s motorcade on January 6.

CNN reported last week that the committee was in the process of scheduling the interview for the driver of Trump’s presidential vehicle.

The committee has not interviewed the driver previously, sources tell CNN, who was a key eyewitness to Trump’s behavior in his presidential SUV on the day of the Capitol attack that the panel has been investigating for months.

The name of the driver of Trump’s SUV has not been publicly revealed.

CNN has reached out to Secret Service for comment. The select committee declined to comment to CNN.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

So let's just suppose for giggles that the Committee concludes in it's report that Trump did commit an unsuccessful insurection.

Would that be enough of a hook to hang a 14th Amendment Challenge on?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:43 pm https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/08/politics ... index.html
The House select committee investigating January 6 on Monday interviewed the driver of then-President Donald Trump’s presidential vehicle on the day of the US Capitol attack, multiple sources tell CNN.

In recent days, the panel has interviewed a growing number of Secret Service agents and officials as part of its investigation, including the one-time head of former Vice President Mike Pence’s security detail, Tim Giebels; former Secret Service agent John Gutsmiedl; agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi; and the Secret Service agent who was in the lead car of Trump’s motorcade on January 6.

CNN reported last week that the committee was in the process of scheduling the interview for the driver of Trump’s presidential vehicle.

The committee has not interviewed the driver previously, sources tell CNN, who was a key eyewitness to Trump’s behavior in his presidential SUV on the day of the Capitol attack that the panel has been investigating for months.

CNN has reached out to Secret Service for comment. The select committee declined to comment to CNN.
It starts with a G and is completely unpronounceable.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:00 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:43 pm https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/08/politics ... index.html

It starts with a G and is completely unpronounceable.
Gingleheimer-Schmidt
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Gregg wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:56 pm So let's just suppose for giggles that the Committee concludes in it's report that Trump did commit an unsuccessful insurection.

Would that be enough of a hook to hang a 14th Amendment Challenge on?
Gregg,

I think that anyone with half a brain could hang a Fourteenth Amendment challenge on any one of a number of merits that are out there in plain sight.

I think that there won't be a trial judge out there who wants to pull a Loose Cannon and rule on the challenge. Let the voters decide will be the reason for dismissal.

Now, if by some crazy stretch that criminal charges against him result in a conviction, that would be enough impetus (Impotus?) for a trial judge to grant the motion to disqualify under the Fourteenth (assuming appeals with the conviction get nowhere.) I think appellate courts and even his hand-picked cheerleaders on the Supremes would have a hard time overturning that decision. Except Thomas, but he was the unfortunate accident of another president.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Ben-Prime: Gingleheimer-Schmidt
🎶That's my name, too!🎶
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/1 ... s-00066746
The Supreme Court has cleared the way for the Jan. 6 select committee to obtain the phone records of Arizona GOP Chair Kelli Ward, a key ally during Donald Trump’s effort to subvert the 2020 election.

The justices, with noted opposition from Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito, denied Ward’s emergency motion to block the panel from enforcing a subpoena against T-Mobile to obtain Ward’s records.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

UPDATE: Attorneys for T-Mobile says the company plans to provide Ward’s phone records to the Jan. 6 committee tomorrow (11/15). https://politico.com/news/2022/11/14/su ... s-00066746
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This is just a reminder to everyone, when you do your criming, be sure to do it on a burner phone!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

moved to viewtopic.php?p=151479#p151479 (the former guy)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Yeah, but IIRC, that's for a Congressional Committee and not for J6C.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:57 am Yeah, but IIRC, that's for a Congressional Committee and not for J6C.
too many Trumps - too many Congressional committees :mad:

We don't seem to have a separate thread for the congressional claims to his tax returns :think:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:32 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:57 am Yeah, but IIRC, that's for a Congressional Committee and not for J6C.
too many Trumps - too many Congressional committees :mad:

We don't seem to have a separate thread for the congressional claims to his tax returns :think:
No worries, you do you, but there are a LOT of Trump threads.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Programs!

Get yer Programs here!

Ya can't tell the players apart without a Program!

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'll look for a link later, but Nicole Wallace has a good interview with Adam Kinzinger on now.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:20 pm I'll look for a link later, but Nicole Wallace has a good interview with Adam Kinzinger on now.
Yeah, it sounded great, but my internet was burping a lot. Will have to rewatch when it comes out On Demand.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Testifying would hurt my book sales!

BREAKING: Former Vice President Mike Pence tells CBS News that he's "closing the door" on testifying before the Jan. 6 committee. “Congress has no right to my testimony,” he tells @margbrennan.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

BREAKING: Former Vice President Mike Pence tells CBS News that he's "closing the door" on testifying before the Jan. 6 committee. “Congress has no right to my testimony,” he tells
@margbrennan

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”