January 6 Select Committee

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: January 6 Commission

Post by raison de arizona »

There is one more for a total of nine, not sure who it was yet.

Fitzpatrick was the ninth.

I believe all those Rs except Mace and Fitzpatrick also voted to impeach tfg the second time. FYI

Mace:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona

Someone on the Twitters said Jim Banks is dressing up as the ranking member of the select committee for Halloween. :lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Kendra wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 pm I enjoyed watching the democrat[ic] members of the committee when they had their time to ask Gaetz and Jordan questions. Jamie Raskin :popcorn:
It is a pet peeve of mine.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Reality Check wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:35 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:54 pm I enjoyed watching the democrat[ic] members of the committee when they had their time to ask Gaetz and Jordan questions. Jamie Raskin :popcorn:
It is a pet peeve of mine.
Mine too, not sure why I missed it :bag: :oopsy:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Damn you auto correct!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

How did Cheney and friends find out? Did Haaland inform them of Banks shenanigans?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm How did Cheney and friends find out? Did Haaland inform them of Banks shenanigans?
I dunno, but I doubt it is because Banks cc'd them on it! :lol:

And it says "agencies" so he circulated it around. Wonder what he thought was going to happen?
:snippity:
Rep. Jim Banks (R-Ill.) sent numerous letters claiming to be the ranking member of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, the committee’s Vice Chair Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) revealed Thursday.

Cheney entered copies of the letters into the legislative record during debate over whether the House should refer former Trump White House strategist Stephen Bannon to the Department of Justice for criminal prosecution.

“He noted that the Speaker had determined that he wouldn't be on the committee, so I would like to introduce for the record number of letters the gentleman from Indiana has been sending to federal agencies, dated September 16 2021, for example, signing his name as the ranking member of the committee he's just informed the House that he's not on, and that he in fact is not on,” she said.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5778 ... ing-member
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Liz Cheney is running for President. You heard it here first. :oldlady:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Spokesperson for US House Select Jan 6 Committee in response to my report below...

"We're not able to comment on our discussions with potential witnesses."
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/21/politics ... index.html
GOP Rep. Jim Banks lamented on the House floor that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi prevented him from serving on the House committee investigating the January 6 attack on the US Capitol on Thursday.

And yet, Banks sent a letter to at least one government agency falsely claiming that he is ranking member of the committee in his signature.

According to a letter provided to CNN, Banks wrote to the Department of the Interior on September 16 asking to be provided with any information the department turns over to the House committee.

"I ask that you provide me any information that is submitted to the Select Committee. Additionally, please include me on any update or briefing that you provide," Banks wrote.

Banks signed the letter as ranking member of the committee, while admitting that Pelosi blocked his appointment.

The letter reads: "The House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy appointed me to serve as the Ranking Member of the Select Committee. Yet, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi refused to allow me to fulfill my duties as Ranking Member."

Banks' letter to the Department of the Interior came after the committee investigating January 6 sent requests of documents to multiple government agencies in their efforts to make progress in their investigation.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just my arrogant opinion, but I think McCarthy is sweating the commission bigly.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/22/politics ... index.html

Following the money
The panel has already interviewed several individuals involved with the rallies, according to multiple sources who participated in the discussions.

"There was a lot of money raised and a lot of money given, millions of dollars ... to pay for the buses and the hotels and the meals and the accommodation," Rep. Jamie Raskin, a Democrat on the select committee, told CNN this week. "A lot of the staffing of it came from people who used to work for Donald Trump on his campaign and then just went over to work on the rally stuff, so we're gonna get to the bottom of that stuff."

he undertaking is part of an ambitious investigation by the committee which, Raskin said Thursday, intends to create a "comprehensive inventory of everything that took place" that day. But unraveling finances is a complicated effort, especially with limits to the information the committee can access without subpoena fights and pressure to produce results before the mid-term election next year.

The panel has already hired additional staff, including experienced financial investigators, who are solely focused on this issue.
Among the new staffers brought on by the committee is Amanda Wick, a seasoned attorney and investigator who specializes in financial cases, according to two sources familiar with the move. "By reputation, Wick is an outstanding and very experienced litigator who understands financial evidence and the investigative pathways," Eisen said, noting she has previously worked on asset forfeiture issues and was a long-time trial attorney at DOJ.

Wick's hiring is a sign the committee is looking deeply at the financial issues, he told CNN. It also raises the question of whether the panel may ultimately make referrals on financial crimes if warranted, Eisen said.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

BTW, there is an error in the Hill story.

Banks is a rep from Indiana.

Fort Wayne, to be exact.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo.; Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill.; Rep. John Katko, R-N.Y.; Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, R-Ohio; Reps. Fred Upton and Peter Meijer of Michigan; and Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, R-Wash.

Not Fitzpatrick. Jaime Herrera Beutler was the 9th, and she also voted for impeachment.
raison de arizona

Azastan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:22 pm Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo.; Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill.; Rep. John Katko, R-N.Y.; Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, R-Ohio; Reps. Fred Upton and Peter Meijer of Michigan; and Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, R-Wash.

Not Fitzpatrick. Jaime Herrera Beutler was the 9th, and she also voted for impeachment.
:whistle:
Cheney Republican Wyoming YEA
Fitzpatrick Republican Pennsylvania YEA
Gonzalez (OH) Republican Ohio YEA
Herrera Beutler Republican Washington YEA
Katko Republican New York YEA
Kinzinger Republican Illinois YEA
Mace Republican South Carolina YEA
Meijer Republican Michigan YEA
Upton Republican Michigan YEA
https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2021329
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:18 am Just my arrogant opinion, but I think McCarthy is sweating the commission bigly.
:prettyplease:
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:46 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:18 am Just my arrogant opinion, but I think McCarthy is sweating the commission bigly.
:prettyplease:
Him and Gym are sweating the most profusely, IMO.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:56 pm
Azastan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:22 pm Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo.; Rep. Adam Kinzinger, R-Ill.; Rep. John Katko, R-N.Y.; Rep. Anthony Gonzalez, R-Ohio; Reps. Fred Upton and Peter Meijer of Michigan; and Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, R-Wash.

:whistle:
Cheney Republican Wyoming YEA
Fitzpatrick Republican Pennsylvania YEA
Gonzalez (OH) Republican Ohio YEA
Herrera Beutler Republican Washington YEA
Katko Republican New York YEA
Kinzinger Republican Illinois YEA
Mace Republican South Carolina YEA
Meijer Republican Michigan YEA
Upton Republican Michigan YEA
https://clerk.house.gov/Votes/2021329
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:13 pm
There is one more for a total of nine, not sure who it was yet.

Fitzpatrick was the ninth.

I believe all those Rs except Mace and Fitzpatrick also voted to impeach tfg the second time. FYI

Mace:
► Show Spoiler

Herrera Beutler was still missed, though, because Simpson is incorrect.
raison de arizona

:thumbsup: good eye!
bob

Post by bob »

The court is not compelled to adhere to this schedule (but presumably will adopt it).

I read elsewhere the archivist intends to produce the requested documents by November 12, hence the race (ob. to SCOTUS) for an injunction.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Too lazy to find a link. CNN reporting Jeffrey Clark is expected to testify to the J6 Committee.
raison de arizona

Kendra wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:23 pm Too lazy to find a link. CNN reporting Jeffrey Clark is expected to testify to the J6 Committee.
:popcorn:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:30 pm
Kendra wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:23 pm Too lazy to find a link. CNN reporting Jeffrey Clark is expected to testify to the J6 Committee.
:popcorn:
TY.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”