January 6 Select Committee

noblepa

Re: January 6 Select Committee

Post by noblepa »

Gregg wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:21 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:03 pm Trump sees himself as the hero in movie. I can absolutely believe he envisioned himself as standing on the top step of the Capitol, directing all of his followers to follow him in to the Capitol where they were counting votes. When he got to the chambers, the people in the chamber would see Trump and all of his followers and they would concede that, of course, Trump was the true winner of the election and they would HAVE to count the votes for HIM. So of course was furious when his grand plan was foiled by his own Secret Service and his own Vice President. They prevented his wonderful movie ending.
In this (long) clip, Belushi plays Trump....

New footage of January 6th
And he probably doesn't understand why everyone laughs when John Belushi mentions that the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-wanted-t ... ol-expert/
Fascism expert Ruth Ben-Ghiat provided fascinating insight — and a terrifying prediction about future Republican Party violence — when she was interviewed by CNN's Jim Acosta on Saturday.

On Tuesday, Trump White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson testified that on Jan. 6, Trump was "irate" when the Secret Service would not drive him to the Capitol and lunged for the steering wheel of his presidential limousine.

Acosta began that interview by noting that weeks before Hutchinson's testimony, Ben-Ghiat had informed his audience that Trump had to go to the Capitol for the phase of a coup where the new order would be announced. Acosta described her analysis as "almost clairvoyant."

"And we have since learned that Trump did try to go to the Capitol on Jan. 6, but his Secret Service stopped him," Acosta said. "Ruth, what is your reaction to everything we learned this week, including this new CNN reporting that seems to back up what Cassidy Hutchison was saying?"
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

RVInit wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:38 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:58 am Hi, RV!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Off Topic
Hi, TRL!!! Yeah, I've been AWOL for a while, I know. Haven't been in the best place emotionally lately, so I've stayed away from posting, and mostly stayed away from reading too. I am still over 100 notifications behind on catching up, and that's just the threads I subscribe to. It's good to get back online and see posts from my Fogbow friends, probably should have been doing that all along, but sometimes I get into a dark place and have a hard time reaching out.
All the love, RV. Both your posts and your cute baby avatar have been missed. :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Jan. 6 inquiry thrusts Secret Service back into center of controversy
https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/202 ... 29433.html
WASHINGTON - A drumbeat of revelations from the House Jan. 6 committee has revealed two dueling identities of the Secret Service under former president Donald Trump - gutsy heroes who blocked the president from a dangerous plan to accompany rioters at the Capitol and political yes-men who were willing to enable his efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

The new depiction of the Secret Service - which has endured a decade of controversy from a prostitution scandal and White House security missteps during the Obama years to allegations of politicization under Trump - has cast new doubt on the independence and credibility of the legendary presidential protective agency.

On one end of Pennsylvania Avenue, Trump unsuccessfully cajoled his agents to drive him to Capitol Hill, where he would have joined a mob of his supporters descending violently on the grand symbol of democracy. Some 45 minutes later on the other end, former vice president Mike Pence refused a request of his security detail to get into an armored car - concerned, according to testimony, that his protectors would take him away from the Capitol and prevent him from carrying out his duty to oversee the final count of electoral college votes.
:snippity:
At the center of the current storm is one key agent - Tony Ornato - who held a highly unusual role in Trump's orbit. The onetime head of the president's security detail temporarily left his Secret Service job to work as deputy White House chief of staff. The political assignment was unprecedented in the Secret Service, as Ornato effectively crossed over from civil servant to become a key part of Trump's effort to get reelected.
:snippity:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Adam Kinzinger tells CNN that since Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony, new witnesses have come forward to the January 6 committee
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Cheney with Jonathan Karl - more video clips at the link.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Please! :pray:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rep Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) tells CNN there are new witnesses who have come forward to Jan 6 Select Committee after the testimony of Cassidy Hutchinson
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rep Adam Schiff (D-CA) says next Jan 6 Committee hearing will include a presentation about far right groups and those who helped assemble the mobs on Jan 6
Moar at the link.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Proud Bois and Oafkeepers,

Come on down!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kind of an own goal by Matt Schlapp and CPAC here.

They had a shot at potentially preventing damning testimony against Trump by tossing a bit of legal assistance at a young former White House aide, and they're now bragging about how they missed that opportunity.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:34 pm https:// twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1543704571800944643
tweet relevant snippet wrote:The January 6 committee’s key witness, Cassidy Hutchinson, called the committee “bs” in a text message obtained exclusively by the @DailyCaller
Kind of an own goal by Matt Schlapp and CPAC here.

They had a shot at potentially preventing damning testimony against Trump by tossing a bit of legal assistance at a young former White House aide, and they're now bragging about how they missed that opportunity.
re article https://dailycaller.com/2022/07/03/obta ... estifying/

The quoted message exchange suggests that Hutchinson considered her subpoena and appearance "BS", not the J6 Committee.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RV - I have to take breaks too, also. :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I read it as "dealing with life BS" that I'd say about any number of things I do daily and don't consider the actual institution BS, just the juggling of my schedule.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Threats of violence over politics has increased heavily in the last few years. But the darkness has reached new lows. My new interns made this compilation of recent calls they’ve received while serving in my DC office.

WARNING: this video contains foul & graphic language.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I think part of the problem is that anonomous calling has gotten way too easy, even default. If more offices started restricting incoming calls to only ones with a valid CallerID, and the telcos clamped down on such things, we would probably see random threatening calls drop. Crow, I would love a service that blocks anything that can not be traced back like we used to have.
Jim

Post by Jim »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:27 pm Crow, I would love a service that blocks anything that can not be traced back like we used to have.
I have that...it's called the decline button for any unknown calls.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:27 pm I think part of the problem is that anonomous calling has gotten way too easy, even default. If more offices started restricting incoming calls to only ones with a valid CallerID, and the telcos clamped down on such things, we would probably see random threatening calls drop. Crow, I would love a service that blocks anything that can not be traced back like we used to have.
I'm not a telephony expert, but I have read some random things recently.

There has been some progress in blocking spam calls, which depend on the ability to spoof caller ID. It took a long time, but the STIR/SHAKEN protocols (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIR/SHAKEN) have made it more difficult to spoof Caller ID. They're not perfect, apparently, since I'm still getting junk calls.

But I think these protocols won't necessarily reduce the amount of death threats made. Cheap prepaid burner phones don't require proof of ID the way that regular monthly service does. And certain VOIP network (Skype is an example of this sort of network) also don't require positive identification to get the service.

I do see some DoJ press releases on Twitter cited by JJ MacNab, Mark Pitcavige and others where the feds have put people in jail for threatening eleted officials. But this may not be an effective deterrent because the number of people arrested versus the number of calls made is too low to matter. I got the impression that many of the prosecutions are for people who a) didn't disguise their phone number, b) used their real name, and c) admitted to making the call when interviewed by an investigator. In other words, not rocket scientists.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW from
@gridnews
: A dizzying number of January 6 figures are tied to a network of MAGA groups -- that all appear to operate from the same Capitol Hill townhouse.

Meet the Insurrectionists' clubhouse:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:42 pm But I think these protocols won't necessarily reduce the amount of death threats made. Cheap prepaid burner phones don't require proof of ID the way that regular monthly service does. And certain VOIP network (Skype is an example of this sort of network) also don't require positive identification to get the service.
If such a service became available, it would have to be something implemented at the reciver's telco level, some kind of 'blanket reject calls that do not meet XYZ criteria', so if they come from an easily spoofed source, they would get blocked.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Just announced on MSNBC next hearing, next Tuesday, July 12.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Scott says 10AM. :popcorn:

Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

This could be another very interesting hearing. 8-)

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Will she do the "right thing"?
much ado

Post by much ado »

I bet she'll turn out to be a real RINO.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”