California tenancy issue

MaryContrary

California tenancy issue

Post by MaryContrary »

Can some smarter person here please point me in the correct direction?

I’m trying to figure out how long it takes to achieve tenancy in California. Someone may be moving in (temporarily) with my daughter and her roommates. The extra person will not be paying any rent.

My concern is the ‘extra’ person overstaying their welcome and putting daughter and roommates in a bad position.

I cannot figure out how to google foo the answer. :brickwallsmall:

Thanks all!
MaryContrary

Re: California tenancy issue

Post by MaryContrary »

How nice I even somehow put :oopsy: face on the post. I have no idea how but there ya go. :rotflmao:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Maybe this will help:

https://www.orangecounty-realestatelawy ... -my-house/

Maybe that's just for Orange County. Looks like if the free loader starts getting mail at that address they get tenant rights.

After 20 minutes of looking, I'd as soon have a honey badger as a guest than somebody that won't go away. Maybe a little more bloody, but dang sure easier to get rid of as necessary.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Found this. No idea if it is correct.

https://www.fastevictionservice.com/blo ... alifornia/
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yeah, and most leases will demand extra rent after 3 to 7 days unless you get written permission from the landlord, which is unlikely.
Image Image Image Image
MaryContrary

Post by MaryContrary »

Daughter and roommates are renting a house and technically could have another or 3 move in (it’s a big house for San Diego standards). I just am not a fan of them getting screwed over if I can help it.

They all want to help this person out but aren’t thinking about the consequences. That’s my job I suppose. Lol
MaryContrary

Post by MaryContrary »

Uninformed wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 7:57 pm Found this. No idea if it is correct.

https://www.fastevictionservice.com/blo ... alifornia/

Whoa 14 days for every 6 months? Crap if that’s true. Being California I imagine that could be the time frame.
filly

Post by filly »

Maybe you should watch Pacific Heights.
MaryContrary

Post by MaryContrary »

filly wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:10 pm Maybe you should watch Pacific Heights.
Maybe they should! I’m too whimpy for anything scary. I like rainbows and butterflies hahaha
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Another possibly informative link.

California Tenants : A Guide To Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilities
https://landlordtenant.dre.ca.gov/resou ... index.html
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

These situations can get real tricky real fast. For a start, you should carefully examine the terms of her lease. Tenant's rights vary widely between various counties and cities. CA is currently under a temporary ban on evictions (for most circumstances) which is set to expire on July 1, but may be extended, either by the state or the municipality in which one lives. This includes the eviction of sub-tenants.

I don't know the regulations for San Diego, but they seem to be a little more landlord-friendly than other places, at first glance. Landlords have been affected by unpaid rent and some cities have recently passing ordinances tipping the scales to their advantage. It's a fluid situation and the poop is going to hit the fan in a few weeks.

Even when a primary tenant has a good relationship with their landlord, each may be relatively powerless to evict an unruly sub-tenant. The landlord may have no recourse other than to evict the lot.

Here are a couple of resources that may help:
https://www.sdcba.org/?pg=Landlord
https://www.sdhc.org/evictionban/

The second page lists a few phone numbers who may be able to provide better advice. I'm not a lawyer, just been dealing with a lot of this stuff. Good luck!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:eek: We did.

We’d just bought our first home together and were debating whether to sell or rent out Mr520’s house.They’d just broken ground on the 1st Gold Line Metro station; our house was within walking distance and we figured if we could hang on to it for a few years… We were right. Real estate is so crazy here that had we held on for 5 more years we would have made a cool half mil.

But then we watched it. :eek:
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I see a Judge Judy rip coming.
MaryContrary

Post by MaryContrary »

busterbunker wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:55 pm These situations can get real tricky real fast. For a start, you should carefully examine the terms of her lease. Tenant's rights vary widely between various counties and cities. CA is currently under a temporary ban on evictions (for most circumstances) which is set to expire on July 1, but may be extended, either by the state or the municipality in which one lives. This includes the eviction of sub-tenants.

I don't know the regulations for San Diego, but they seem to be a little more landlord-friendly than other places, at first glance. Landlords have been affected by unpaid rent and some cities have recently passing ordinances tipping the scales to their advantage. It's a fluid situation and the poop is going to hit the fan in a few weeks.

Even when a primary tenant has a good relationship with their landlord, each may be relatively powerless to evict an unruly sub-tenant. The landlord may have no recourse other than to evict the lot.

Here are a couple of resources that may help:
https://www.sdcba.org/?pg=Landlord
https://www.sdhc.org/evictionban/

The second page lists a few phone numbers who may be able to provide better advice. I'm not a lawyer, just been dealing with a lot of this stuff. Good luck!
Thank you for your input. I put a call out to a local lawyer for some local advice but I probably won’t hear back until Monday.

I have been advising against allowing this person into their home for quite a few reasons. Of course, I’m old and they are trying to save the world so who really knows. I just ultimately do not want them screwing themselves over too bad in the long run. Hopefully this is all for naught but I know I would regret not getting answers for them.

They have all (the roommates) graduated and started their ‘adulting’ jobs (everything seems to be adulting when they pay their own bills. Lol). I would hate that helping out a friend could cause harm.
MaryContrary

Post by MaryContrary »

Kate520 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:26 pm
:eek: We did.

We’d just bought our first home together and were debating whether to sell or rent out Mr520’s house.They’d just broken ground on the 1st Gold Line Metro station; our house was within walking distance and we figured if we could hang on to it for a few years… We were right. Real estate is so crazy here that had we held on for 5 more years we would have made a cool half mil.

But then we watched it. :eek:
Currently housing market in California is scary enough without watching any movies about it! Market down here is just nuts

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”