Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

UK - England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

All of what Eurobot said is likely, and at the same time a substantial portion of the British politicians will be stirring the pot just to keep their own careers in play.

I think the chances of Rejoin are close to zero.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Boris has returned from Holiday to save us all! The British Sunday papers have their tounges wrapped tight around his ass.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

NYT reporting that Johnson has pulled out, and it is going to be Sunak.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

They must have persuaded him that he would crash the Tory party if he would run. Also too many MPs are thinking he has not the knowlege to pull the UK out of the economic desaster that Truss left behind.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:37 pm They must have persuaded him that he would crash the Tory party if he would run. Also too many MPs are thinking he has not the knowlege to pull the UK out of the economic desaster that Truss left behind.
He's a Minister Feelgood, not an actual problem-solver. So, yeah, this would have cut his own throat.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Plus it would make the Brits look a bit foolish to put back in the guy they just forced out 2 months ago. Nothing about him has changed - he wouldn't do any better a 2nd time around, so what would be the point?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Johnson's team was claiming 102 supporters (they needed 100 to get into the ballot) but only about 60 had gone public so there was a significant amount of disbelief amongst opponents and pundits, given Johnson's aversion to the truth.

His egotistical statement said essentially "I coulda won so easy but I pulled out for the good of the party because I'm so noble. Oh, and I'll be back." Not fooling anybody.

Johnson tried to get the other two candidates (Sunak, the clear favorite and Mordaunt, currently a long second and way below 100 nominations) to withdraw but they apparently were, ah, unpersuaded.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

:yeahthat:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:30 pm Plus it would make the Brits look a bit foolish...
That ship has sailed.
Hic sunt dracones
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

… and sunk :(
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

... without EU fishing quotas.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I (vaguely) remember when the UK was up for admittance to the Common Market which was the predecessor to the EU.

The idea was not popular with the UK's Imperial Commonwealth partners, but the UK kept saying soothing things about a continuing relationship. In the end most of the old empire did OK from the reduced importance of the Commonwealth. Australia opened new markets, and really, the only thing anyone pays attention to the Commonwealth anymore is when it's time for the Commonwealth games.

France was the main European opponent - de Gaulle vetoed it twice - arguing that Britain was not even geographically part of Europe (I doubt that was their 'real' argument against it). Once de Gaulle was out of the picture, France fell into line.

I can't remember Germany's stance at the time, but I seem to remember that Belgium and Italy were quite keen for some reason.

Anyway, they got there eventually of course, but it was real hard work. It will not be any easier the second time around - they burned a lot of bridges on the way out.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

France was the main European opponent - de Gaulle vetoed it twice - arguing that Britain was not even geographically part of Europe (I doubt that was their 'real' argument against it). Once de Gaulle was out of the picture, France fell into line.
Funny, he wasn't so opposed from 1940-1945, when he needed a friendly place to play General in Exile from. de Gaulle was Trump but tall enough not to need lifts, more hype than reality.

An amateur's idea of a General who was never half as good as he thought he was, at anything.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Sam the Centipede

Gregg is spot on about de Gaulle – older Brits recalled de Gaulle and the exiled (ran away?!) French government hiding in England in WW2and were not impressed with the ingratitude from the egoist.

As for the Commonwealth: my impressio is that it does more than just the games in various areas of cooperation. But it's all unexciting so never gets into the news. This view is supported by the fact that a few countries which were never UK colonies have joined but very few countries voluntarily leave. Perhaps one factor is that the Commonwealth has some democratic and human rights norms so it might be a way of subtly resisting local drifts in the opposite direction. Several countries have been temporarily suspended at various times.

The point about Australia etc. feeling aggrieved at being deserted when the UK joined the EU is one I have heard from Australians. It forced Australia's to refocus its trading and political relationships more in the Pacific region and those have now been well-established for many years. Australia doesn't in any way need the UK now; that divorce is complete.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Royal Mail warns there are only 100 days left to use stamps without barcodes
After 31 January, consumers with non-valid versions will have to send off a form to secure a swap

Joanna Partridge
Mon 24 Oct 2022 11.39 BST

Royal Mail is urging consumers to use up stamps without barcodes by 31 January 2023, when imprints featuring the late Queen Elizabeth II will cease to be valid for postage.

There are 100 days left for people to rummage through wallets and drawers to track down stamps to use before the deadline, otherwise they will have to swap them for new barcoded stamps in order to send a letter or parcel.

The stamps being changed are some of Royal Mail’s most recognisable, featuring a profile of the late Queen on a plain-coloured background.

Royal Mail first introduced barcodes to its stamps in February as part of what the company described as its “extensive and ongoing modernisation drive”. It said at the time that the unique barcodes would “facilitate operational efficiencies”, improve security and allow innovative services for customers.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... 31-january
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:07 am :snippity:
Yes to everything you said.

Except that some of the Commonwealtn countries that harbor a sizable population of, shall we say, darker shade of citizens, are getting a bit fed up with their treatment from the old dart lately.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Sam the Centipede

keith wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:46 am
Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:07 am :snippity:
Yes to everything you said.

Except that some of the Commonwealtn countries that harbor a sizable population of, shall we say, darker shade of citizens, are getting a bit fed up with their treatment from the old dart lately.
Are they? I know about the Caribbean island countries moving towards electing their own head of state rather than having the monarch of England/UK (?) in that role. I assumed that ditching the remnants of colonialism to move towards a more modern, self-sufficient form of government, not necessarily a dissatisfaction with the UK in general. It would be reasonable for a country which was very fond of the UK (not saying they are!) to wish to loosen that particular tie as a matter of patriotic pride and sovereignty.

And of course non-white families in the UK will experience the full force of the UK's racism and its generally inhumane treatment of people who have resided in the country for decades, contributed much to society, compared with, for example, the enthusiastic welcome given to pale-skinned refugees from Ukraine, and they will talk to family in the old country.

How much those governments in non-white majority governments are antipathetic towards the UK, I have no idea. The lack of practical support from the old colonial rulers is something that China has exploited in making friends in Africa, by providing practical infrastructure development, etc. instead of excuses and token gestures.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The new PM isn't white, apparently. It will be interesting to see what kind of treatment he gets. :smoking:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Eh, I know Hamericans love their victim politics, but the UK has had non-white ministers for years. I doubt he/she will get too much bother over that.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well good, because reading in the post above mine about racism in the UK made me wonder.

I haven't set foot in the joint since 1979, to be honest. What I know about the UK, Donald Trump could write on the head of a pin with his Sharpie. :confuzzled:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

What is the difference between a Head of State and Head of Government, both in general terms and in how the UK handles it?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Rishi Sunak to become UK’s PM after Mordaunt joins Johnson in withdrawing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... n-withdraw

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”