Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

SCOTUS

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: SCOTUS

Post by raison de arizona »

From the comments, lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They don't like being reminded of that. Or the one about rendering unto Ceasar. Matthew 22:15, and other.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Elections have consequences

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-28/ ... /101189358

After half a century, Americans' constitutional right to get an abortion has been overturned by the Supreme Court.

But while the reversal of Roe v Wade has dominated headlines and sparked protests across the nation, it isn't the only recent ruling to come from the highest court in America.

From expanding gun laws to backing a high school football coach's freedom of speech, here are the other ways in which the US Supreme Court has reshaped America's future.

You can use these links to jump to each ruling:

Americans have a right to carry firearms in public for self-defence
A high school football coach has won the right to lead his students in prayer
Police will be protected from 'Miranda' lawsuits
There's been a win for doctors challenging opioid convictions
Another bid from Bayer challenging its weedkiller lawsuits has been nixed
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Color me astonished that Paxton and Thomas are on the same page regarding Lawrence. In the words of Cornyn, now do Loving.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

What an invasion of his privacy!
3250DFC1-20D5-4DD8-9D1B-B3EF5AA33E2A.jpeg
3250DFC1-20D5-4DD8-9D1B-B3EF5AA33E2A.jpeg (81.94 KiB) Viewed 899 times
The card has been canceled, but not before several purchases were made and documented in TikTok, tagged with phrases such as, “Your card, my choice.”
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

:talktothehand:

At this rate, if there wasn't so much serious :shit: and more importantly :hittingthefan: with the decisions we're getting, I'd be half expecting to see just out of pure culture war spite a 6-3 decision that a) Gabby Johnson was *actually* saying that "The Sheriff is near", and b) Bart wasn't lawfully appointed Sheriff, so c) the land of Rock Ridge is hereby to be awarded retroactively to Hedley Lamarr.

It would make just as much sense and contradict just as much common sense.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Stick a fork in the Voting Rights Act.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

This court is all over the map in their reasoning
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

So this is a bit of a tangent from the current conversation, but wondering if someone has some comments/thoughts on an issue:

I've been chatting in other forums about possible threats to the 14th amendment, and tried to tie it to the current uncertainty surrounding the 28th amendment. With the later, all I could find is that the administration says it is ratified, the national archives says it is not, and nothing has ended up in front of SCOTUS yet to resolve it. I could not find anything being said about test cases in the works, does that sound about right?

I imagine if the 28A ends up in front of SCOTUS and they declare it as invalid, they could also invalidate the 14A at the same time.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

xposting, expanding on Dr. Ken's post above

SCOTUS shits on Native Americans. Again.
Elizabeth A. Reese (Yunpovi) @yunpovi wrote: This #SCOTUS opinion in #CastroHuerta is an act of conquest. Full stop.

The right and power of tribes to rule themselves is being dismissed in favor of state power.

Tribes are…I can’t even write it…part of states.

For those wondering, “Why is it bad that states can prosecute too?”
Three answers:
1- States/Tribes have a long history of animosity. Fair treatment isn’t a fair assumption.
2- Tribes want to make different laws for their land than states.
3- Many resources are a zero sum game.
BTW- worth pointing out is that Gorsuch dissented, writing that the decision "allows Oklahoma to intrude on a feature of tribal sovereignty recognized since the founding." He added, "One can only hope the political branches and future courts will do their duty to honor this Nation’s promises even as we have failed today to do our own."

My understanding is that Gorsuch has been a steadfast champion of Native American rights. Who knew?
Maggie Blackhawk @MaggieBlackhawk wrote: Against hundreds of years of congressional action, against solid #SCOTUS precedent, and hundreds of years of history, the Supreme Court held today that states have jurisdiction over certain crimes in Indian Country by judicial fiat. A devastating result for our democracy.

There is little to say here other than the fact that our Supreme Court has become a superlegislature. Precedent, statutes, separation of powers, reason, the rule of law, these things all mean nothing.
https://twitter.com/MaggieBlackhawk/sta ... 5750213633

We're onboard the crazy train, and there's apparently no stopping it now.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Like wtf there's zero explanation for their decision after their recent rulings. There's a long history on this there's a judicial history, there's congressional history and they're just throwing their previous arguments out the window.
raison de arizona

Given all the RWNJ (and other) press in the last couple weeks about how Thomas is the nicest guy you'll ever meet, I, for one, find this hard to believe.
Michael.eth @_FleerUltra wrote: someone who clerked at the supreme court once told me that clarence thomas kept a copy of the roll call vote for his confirmation in the top drawer of his desk to remind him of who voted no. kinda sounds like someone who harbors anger, grievances, and is filled with resentment
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

"Because I said so" seems to be their current reasoning.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:58 pm "Because I said so" seems to be their current reasoning.
That's the joke on Law Twitter recently, all Constitution Law classes can simply be replaced with "whatever Clarence Thomas wants." Nothing else matters.
raison de arizona

Can't wait for SCOTUS to kneecap the EPA. What day does that come out? Bastards.
raison de arizona

Taking bets for how this one is decided if/when it reaches SCOTUS. I'm paying million to one odds.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:13 pm Taking bets for how this one is decided if/when it reaches SCOTUS. I'm paying million to one odds.
Yeah, that one is going to be a pretty safe bet. SCOTUS has already sided with the freedom to hire and fire people based off religion, and of course fire people based off not wanting to die.
raison de arizona

Sarah Burstein @design_law wrote: Any other law profs facing an existential crisis this week? Like: “Why am I even working on X when the world is burning?”
Andrew Dzeguze, PhD JD @Dr_Dzeguze wrote: Teaching con law to undergrads except as an exercise in power is feeling useless right now. Researching trial courts and teaching students about trial procedure if anything feels more attractive/hopeful if only b/c there's a sense this is at least comprehensible.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:35 pm What an invasion of his privacy!
3250DFC1-20D5-4DD8-9D1B-B3EF5AA33E2A.jpeg
The card has been canceled, but not before several purchases were made and documented in TikTok, tagged with phrases such as, “Your card, my choice.”
So Thomas went out to dinner, and a worker at the restaurant posted both sides of his cc to TikTok, at which point people bought stuff. Because screw him. I personally saw that one. Now, I'm hearing reports that the same thing happened to Kavanaugh. I can't verify this one personally, but I have no reason to doubt it. I'm generally against criming, but I gotta say I liking these ones. It would be best if they were never allowed to show their faces in public again, but I'll take the loss of credit card convenience forcing them to pay cash everywhere as a consolation prize.

I don't recall there being a right to credit cards in the constitution. fwiw.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

So the message has not reached the detached scotus members that one does not give a crediit card out of hand? What dens do they go to that do not yet have electronic readers brought to the table, more recent devices are contactless, no longer get the mag strip scanned, and then put in your security code (yeah - the one printed on the back of the card).
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”