Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

SCOTUS

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: SCOTUS

Post by raison de arizona »

I swear I'm going to stroke out when the EPA decision drops. I need to relax.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:00 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:58 pm "Because I said so" seems to be their current reasoning.
That's the joke on Law Twitter recently, all Constitution Law classes can simply be replaced with "whatever Clarence Thomas wants." Nothing else matters.
I'm seeing it's "Chief Justice Alito" now.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:00 pm So the message has not reached the detached scotus members that one does not give a crediit card out of hand? What dens do they go to that do not yet have electronic readers brought to the table
:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
I pay with a credit card just like he did. No issues. Of course no one hates me (that I know of).
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:00 pm So the message has not reached the detached scotus members that one does not give a crediit card out of hand? What dens do they go to that do not yet have electronic readers brought to the table, more recent devices are contactless, no longer get the mag strip scanned, and then put in your security code (yeah - the one printed on the back of the card).
We have not reached the levels of sophistication in these here United States that you Europeans enjoy. Uniformly. It's starting to happen, slowly.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They are not even asking for a signature in a lot of places now. Before Covid, I was told that the electronic signatures often didn't really match the ones on the back of the card, so they weren't asking for them as much as they used to. I think that accelerated with Covid. There are lots of places that don't ask for my signature anymore, but usually restaurants do because of the tip.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:00 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:00 pm So the message has not reached the detached scotus members that one does not give a crediit card out of hand? What dens do they go to that do not yet have electronic readers brought to the table, more recent devices are contactless, no longer get the mag strip scanned, and then put in your security code (yeah - the one printed on the back of the card).
We have not reached the levels of sophistication in these here United States that you Europeans enjoy. Uniformly. It's starting to happen, slowly.
Off Topic
Smaller places will give you a discount if you pay cash.
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:05 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:00 pm
Off Topic
Smaller places will give you a discount if you pay cash.
The last two places I ate it, which were smaller places, had cash discounts. One was 4%, which is pretty much the cc fee. The other was 10%.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

What? Cards? Physical plastic cards? Do you guize still have to use those? Doncha have EFT phones there yet?

Phones are MUCH more secure than plastic cards.

Shirley Supreme Court justices have the wherewithal and support services to learn how to use a telephone for this stuff - and are smart enough to know to never, NEVER EVER, hand you plastic card to someone else. EVER.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Off Topic
keith wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:24 am What? Cards? Physical plastic cards? Do you guize still have to use those? Doncha have EFT phones there yet?

Phones are MUCH more secure than plastic cards.

Shirley Supreme Court justices have the wherewithal and support services to learn how to use a telephone for this stuff - and are smart enough to know to never, NEVER EVER, hand you plastic card to someone else. EVER.
In the USA, most phone models outside the upper end flagship ones do not have NFC, Near Field Communication (what you are calling EFT). NFC is required to use phone pay apps like Apple Pay and Google Pay. Interestingly, the USA phones without NFC are sold with NFC on the same named international models -- because the USA is, well, exceptionally behind the times compared to our friends around the world.

Too Also, I think wealthy people like to whip out their Platinum Amex Card at restaurants... status symbol. (Look at my penis)
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:27 am
Off Topic
keith wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:24 am
In the USA, most phone models outside the upper end flagship ones do not have NFC, Near Field Communication (what you are calling EFT).
Yeah, thats what meant
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I guess it depends on where you live? I still see a lot of places where you put your card on a tray, they take it away, then come back with the card and receipt. I rarely see card readers brought to the table at sitdown places, and usually only at chain restaurants.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Okay whose placing bets on what horrible decision the supreme court hands down today
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:45 am Okay whose placing bets on what horrible decision the supreme court hands down today
:callonme: if it’s finishing killing off the EPA, I’m out.
raison de arizona

Motherfucker.
The implications of the ruling could extend well beyond environmental policy and further signal that the court’s newly expanded conservative majority is deeply skeptical of the power of administrative agencies to address major issues facing the nation and the planet.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:explode: :explode: :explode:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

John Roberts showing true colors.

The three “liberal” justices aren’t liberal. They’re normal justices with a normal understanding of how our government is supposed to function. Media, stop making them sound like radicals while normalizing the actual radicals.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Woo-hoo! Supreme Court Justice Jackson! :dance:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:groupdance:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:23 am
This Court is signaling death by a thousand cuts to this country and perhaps the planet with these recent decisions.

If I read the summary correct, the Court says that if there is not specific wording in a statute or express delegation by Congress, a governmental agency cannot make its own rules to serve Congressional intent. Hoo boy. Hang on.

I looked at the composition of all the SC justices over the centuries. Something like six have come from the West; two I think (including Gorsuch) from Colorado. All the others from New England, the mid-Atlantic, South, and Midwest. Guess we don't have legal minds out here.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

In a 6-3 ruling, the United States Supreme Court has just struck down Poe’s Law!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If anyone's interested, Chelsea Handler has been subbing for Kimmel this week and she has been on fire over SCOTUS. You can catch her monologues on YouTube.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:35 am If anyone's interested, Chelsea Handler has been subbing for Kimmel this week and she has been on fire over SCOTUS. You can catch her monologues on YouTube.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Did anyone else see the clip yesterday (can't remember where) with Thomas saying something to the effect that liberals had made his life miserable for the last 43 years; he would make their lives miserable for the next 43? I think there was a younger photo of him shown with it.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”