Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

SCOTUS

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: SCOTUS

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Color me not surprised.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:37 am
According to a report from Rolling Stone, officials in Donald Trump's administrationconned Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) into voting for current Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh while ridiculing her at the same time for being easy to manipulate with one going so far as to crassly mock her as a "cheap date."

As the Rolling Stone's Asawin Suebsaeng and Adam Rawnsley report, Collins "was deliberately manipulated by Trump administration officials — and a future Supreme Court Justice — who viewed her as an easy mark."

Collins, often mocked for her constant professions of being "concerned" by current events, was considered to be a walkover by the Trump administration officials and supporters of Kavanaugh who felt she only needed "vague assurances" that Kavanaugh would not be a vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.

According to Rolling Stone, two former Trump officials admitted that they played Collins and then laughed at her behind her back.
I really hope Collins takes a lesson from this, but I am skeptical she has the political capital to do much. She needs the GoP more than they need her.. but in fantasy land I could see her taking this insult and using it as energy to really DO something.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Collins is a grown woman, she wanted to be played. She chose to not question the non-responses and instead assume the best.

They are still turds though.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

She called the police over chalk writing on public sidewalk.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

And then the blankety blank voted against codifying Roe v Wade, so fuck her.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

I'm against anything that mitigates her actions or attempts to shed any responsibility for the same.

She bears this burden.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I’m on the phone now, but there’s an opinion piece on her and her decision process on WaPo right now. Will try to link later in the day.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

I know I'm gonna regret this post but, as much as I admire her on many levels I feel that RBG had some responsibility for the shitshow that is the current SCOTUS.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I wanted her to retire during Obama's admin, but now I know it would have had to have been before McConnell took over or we'd have gone six years with eight justices.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:32 pm I wanted her to retire during Obama's admin, but now I know it would have had to have been before McConnell took over or we'd have gone six years with eight justices.
The Dark Lord of the Mitch didn't become Majority leader again until after the 2014 midterms....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

nevermind.jpg
nevermind.jpg (38.64 KiB) Viewed 655 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

qbawl wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:10 am I know I'm gonna regret this post but, as much as I admire her on many levels I feel that RBG had some responsibility for the shitshow that is the current SCOTUS.
No, I've felt somewhat the same.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:38 pm
qbawl wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:10 am I know I'm gonna regret this post but, as much as I admire her on many levels I feel that RBG had some responsibility for the shitshow that is the current SCOTUS.
No, I've felt somewhat the same.
RBG's failure to retire before 2014 may ultimately contribute to the destruction of every ounce of good she achieved as a Justice. :cry:
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

neeneko wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:44 am
Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:37 am
According to a report from Rolling Stone, officials in Donald Trump's administrationconned Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) into voting for current Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh while ridiculing her at the same time for being easy to manipulate with one going so far as to crassly mock her as a "cheap date."

As the Rolling Stone's Asawin Suebsaeng and Adam Rawnsley report, Collins "was deliberately manipulated by Trump administration officials — and a future Supreme Court Justice — who viewed her as an easy mark."

Collins, often mocked for her constant professions of being "concerned" by current events, was considered to be a walkover by the Trump administration officials and supporters of Kavanaugh who felt she only needed "vague assurances" that Kavanaugh would not be a vote to overturn Roe v. Wade.

According to Rolling Stone, two former Trump officials admitted that they played Collins and then laughed at her behind her back.
I really hope Collins takes a lesson from this, but I am skeptical she has the political capital to do much. She needs the GoP more than they need her.. but in fantasy land I could see her taking this insult and using it as energy to really DO something.
I hope someone reminds her of this daily!!!!!!!!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The opinion piece from WaPo I mentioned this morning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ugh-truth/
raison de arizona

Man with weapon detained near Brett Kavanaugh’s home

The man allegedly told police he wanted to kill the Supreme Court Justice, according to people familiar with the investigation.

A California man carrying at least one weapon near Brett Kavanaugh’s Maryland home has been taken into custody by police, after telling officers he wanted to kill the Supreme Court justice, according to people familiar with the investigation.

The individual, described as a man in his mid-20s, was found to be carrying at least one weapon and burglary tools, these people said, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation. Police were apparently notified that the person might pose a threat to the justice, but it was not immediately clear who provided the initial tip, these people said. The man apparently did not make it on to Kavanaugh’s property in Montgomery County, but he was stopped on a nearby street, these people said.

Two people familiar with the investigation said the initial evidence indicates the man was angry about the leaked draft of an opinion by the Supreme Court signaling the court is preparing to overturn Roe. v. Wade, the 49-year-old decision that guaranteed a person’s constitutional right to have an abortion. He was also angry over a recent spate of mass shootings, those people said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... t-justice/
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Carrying the gun is okay, isn't it? Heller, ya know. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Great. Give the wackjobs something else to bitch about.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:06 am Great. Give the wackjobs something else to bitch about.
On the fun side, they get so confused when 'liberals' agree with them.

Random guy with gun and bugler's tools planning on killing a judge? They have trouble wrapping their little minds around the idea that for progressives, it doesn't matter which judge it is, we are still against it. They expect the target and the actor to matter.
raison de arizona

On Fox News, the report is that the White House in general and Jen Psaki in particular are responsible for the attempted attack. Apparently Psaki said something really bad on May 12th? Fox News didn't actually state what she said exactly, but it appears based on their reporting that it was something along the lines of, "Get a gun. Shoot conservative Supreme Court Justices." :shrug: I'm sure they wouldn't be making that up. Also, something something, Joe Biden owes the United States an apology for this transgression.

Also, here is a reminder that McConnell is a d-bag.
raison de arizona

southpaw @nycsouthpaw wrote: Charging documents for the man arrested outside Justice Kavanaugh's home allege he encountered two Marshals standing guard, then called 911 on himself and confessed to an assassination plan—a confession he allegedly repeated after being read his rights. https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 15.1.1.pdf
raison de arizona

Sounds touristy.
𝐁𝐞𝐤𝐬 @antifaoperative wrote: The gunman outside Brett Kavanaugh’s home had tactile gear, pepper spray, zip ties and guns…so it was just a normal tourist visit.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Wait, tactile gear? That changes everything! The guy was just going to a dungeon and heard Kavanaugh really likes to party.

(I am not criticizing a spelling mistake or word mixup, I just find the image amusing in this case)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He has been charged with attempted murder.

A man with a gun and a knife was detained by police early Wednesday morning near Brett M. Kavanaugh’s Maryland home after making threats against the Supreme Court justice, according to local and federal officials.

Authorities identified the man as Nicholas John Roske, 26, of Simi Valley, Calif., charging him with the attempted murder of a federal judge. The criminal complaint did not specifically name Kavanaugh. Efforts to immediately reach Roske’s family were unsuccessful. It is unclear whether he has an attorney.
This is an updating article and is giftable so should be accessible.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:36 pm He has been charged with attempted murder.

A man with a gun and a knife was detained by police early Wednesday morning near Brett M. Kavanaugh’s Maryland home after making threats against the Supreme Court justice, according to local and federal officials.

Authorities identified the man as Nicholas John Roske, 26, of Simi Valley, Calif., charging him with the attempted murder of a federal judge. The criminal complaint did not specifically name Kavanaugh. Efforts to immediately reach Roske’s family were unsuccessful. It is unclear whether he has an attorney.
This is an updating article and is giftable so should be accessible.
Attempted murder in most places requires the State to prove that the defendant (1) intended to kill a person; (2) had the present ability to carry out the killing; and (3) took a "substantial step" toward carrying out the killing. Showing up in Kavanaugh's neighborhood with the tools necessary to do the job and with the requisite intent probably satisfies all three elements.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”