SCOTUS

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: SCOTUS

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, John Roberts, what does this do to your legacy?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:56 am Well, John Roberts, what does this do to your legacy?
5B17BC91-97FD-4478-9DE2-B5FF753C42F9.jpeg
5B17BC91-97FD-4478-9DE2-B5FF753C42F9.jpeg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 840 times
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

SCOTUS this morning. I have thoughts.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm as angry as the next person but have there been any whispers of violence or destruction vis a vis the Supreme Courthouse? I mean, we're Antifa, not Oath Keepers.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:12 pm I'm as angry as the next person but have there been any whispers of violence or destruction vis a vis the Supreme Courthouse? I mean, we're Antifa, not Oath Keepers.
Fox News this morning was all about reports that "the left" doxxed six Justices yesterday. I dunno, I never saw any doxxing, but perhaps Fox has sources I don't. They sent CAMERA CREWS to all six Justice's homes this morning to cover the anarchy, but as it turned out there was no one there. But for Fox News camera crews, annoying the neighborhoods. :roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

They sent CAMERA CREWS to all six Justice's homes this morning to cover the anarchy, but as it turned out there was no one there.
Ah, I see ANTIFA has deployed the cloaking device.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Ah, yes, the cloaking device! Why didn't Elmer Rhodes think of that?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:12 pm I'm as angry as the next person but have there been any whispers of violence or destruction vis a vis the Supreme Courthouse? I mean, we're Antifa, not Oath Keepers.
I've watched the word being used by progressives in a wholly positive way to mean simply anti-fascist, but my understanding has been that the original Antifa groups believed in meeting violence with violence.

Yes/No?

FTR, not interested in the insane imaginary ways that the RWNJ's use the term.
raison de arizona

The only threat of violence I've seen thus far is some far-right group threatening to come knock the heads of rallying choice supporters. I had a link but I closed it and don't remember the name of the group. It wasn't anything I recognized.
raison de arizona

The Supreme Court requests privacy in this time to consider their options.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's not much of a democratic country anymore if you have to barricade your highest public buildings.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:51 pm It's not much of a democratic country anymore if you have to barricade your highest public buildings.
I wonder if this is a case of credible threats, abundance of caution, or 'liberals are so violent!' theater.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Our local clinic would dearly love to have barriers like that to keep the crazies away from the patients but SCOTUS outlawed the buffer zones for everyone but themselves apparently.
raison de arizona

Funny, that.
Clarence Thomas says he worries respect for institutions is eroding

Justice Clarence Thomas said Friday that the judiciary is threatened if people are unwilling to “live with outcomes we don’t agree with” and that recent events at the Supreme Court might be “one symptom of that.”
:snippity:
“It bodes ill for a free society,” he said. It can’t be that institutions “give you only the outcome you want, or can be bullied” to do the same, he said.

For Thomas, avowed critic of Roe v. Wade, Mississippi abortion case a moment long awaited

The court’s longest-serving justice said he also worried about a “different attitude of the young” that might not show the same respect for the law as past generations. “Recent events have shown this major change,” he said.
Thomas is the member of the court least likely to adhere to stare decisis, the principle of letting past decisions stand. In past cases, including Casey, he called for Roe to be overturned.
“We use stare decisis as a mantra when we don’t want to think,” Thomas said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... ourt-leak/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Fuck him.

ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Hypocrite

“It bodes ill for a free society,” he said. It can’t be that institutions “give you only the outcome you want, or can be bullied” to do the same, he said.

He is the bully that bodes I’ll for a free society

The destroyer of respect
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

A friend reminded me of another side effect - women's credit ratings would suffer, at least those of child bearing age because they've become "unreliable" employees. Yes, I know women work during pregnancy NOW, but who knows where this shit is headed, especially if they go after birth control.

I haven't been able to verify but I saw something about Barrett writing an opinion that women need to be forced to give birth to supply the adoption biz with... ahem...merchandise.

ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

No one should interview him without asking bout his wife, the looney insurrectionist.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I did a LOL at this.
Clarence Thomas says he worries respect for institutions is eroding
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:00 pm Our local clinic would dearly love to have barriers like that to keep the crazies away from the patients but SCOTUS outlawed the buffer zones for everyone but themselves apparently.
Yeah, one of my classic grips with the judicial branch is it grants itself protections that it denies others.
raison de arizona

raison de arizona

raison de arizona

Mike Lee and Chip Roy are worried about protests at churches, they wrote a letter to Merrick Garland.
https://static.foxnews.com/foxnews.com/ ... ptions.pdf
raison de arizona

Roberts’ house.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.un.org/en/genocidepreventio ... nity.shtml
Article 7
Crimes Against Humanity

For the purpose of this Statute, ‘crime against humanity’ means any of the following acts when committed as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, with knowledge of the attack:
Murder;
Extermination;
Enslavement;
Deportation or forcible transfer of population;
Imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental rules of international law;
Torture;
Rape, sexual slavery, enforced prostitution, forced pregnancy, enforced sterilization, or any other form of sexual violence of comparable gravity;
Persecution against any identifiable group or collectivity on political, racial, national, ethnic, cultural, religious, gender as defined in paragraph 3, or other grounds that are universally recognized as impermissible under international law, in connection with any act referred to in this paragraph or any crime within the jurisdiction of the Court;
Enforced disappearance of persons;
The crime of apartheid;
Other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering, or serious injury to body or to mental or physical health.

The formatting didn't copy over.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”