Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Space Force

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Space Force

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I played that for my husband and caretaker, and my caretaker wanted to know if that was written for the show (with Steve Carrell.)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Space Force

Post by raison de arizona »

In Major Step, Space Force Takes Over All Military Satellite Communications

The Space Force has taken over all of the Department of Defense's military satellite communication functions, a major step in building the new service.

The Navy and the Army have transferred major satellite communication operations to the Space Force in an effort to consolidate training, operations, acquisition and other activities, according to a news release. The transfer marks the first time all military satellite communication functions have been consolidated under a single military service.

The Army's transfers were expected to include $78 million in operations, maintenance and 500 positions, the release said. As part of the consolidation, the Army transferred the Wideband Global SATCOM and Defense Satellite Communications System to the Space Force in August. The Wideband Global SATCOM system is considered the "backbone of the U.S. military's global satellite communications," according to the Space Force.

The Colorado Springs area did not see a net gain in jobs although some people did transfer from Fort Carson to Schriever Space Force Base, said Col. David Pheasant, commander of Delta 8. His delta focuses on satellite communications as well as position, navigation and timing, and represents about 10% of the Space Force.
:snippity:
https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... tions.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Space Force

Post by pipistrelle »

Their function is probably needed; it's the branding that's that whack, specifically, "Force."
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Space Force

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:13 am Their function is probably needed; it's the branding that's that whack, specifically, "Force."
I would have preferred Space Corps. US Space Command is already unified (i.e. joint) combatant command so that name was taken.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Space Force

Post by raison de arizona »

northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:40 pm
pipistrelle :mrgreen: wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:13 am Their function is probably needed; it's the branding that's that whack, specifically, "Force."
I would have preferred Space Corps. US Space Command is already unified (i.e. joint) combatant command so that name was taken.
Space Force was taken too, but it didn’t stop them. :mrgreen:
7994DCD7-5198-442F-B6FA-BCE0F85BA462.png
7994DCD7-5198-442F-B6FA-BCE0F85BA462.png (104.34 KiB) Viewed 747 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Space Force

Post by Maybenaut »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:13 am Their function is probably needed; it's the branding that's that whack, specifically, "Force."
I like Space Corps. Aside from already being taken, “Command” has a specific meaning in the military denoting a unit subordinate to some higher headquarters.

Space Service might also work, or Space Guard, although I like Space Corps better than either of those.

But if it were up to me, “Space” wouldn’t be in the name at all. There’s something about it that rubs me the wrong way. Can’t put my finger on it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Space Force

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:04 pm
I like Space Corps. Aside from already being taken, “Command” has a specific meaning in the military denoting a unit subordinate to some higher headquarters.

Space Service might also work, or Space Guard, although I like Space Corps better than either of those.

But if it were up to me, “Space” wouldn’t be in the name at all. There’s something about it that rubs me the wrong way. Can’t put my finger on it.
Space is vast. Their portion of it is miniscule.

Corps works better.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Space Force

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, too bad they can't use "Solar System" anything.

I trademarked it. It's now called the Fogbow Solar System™.

'Course, I could license it ... :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
humblescribe
Verified:

Space Force

Post by humblescribe »

I suspect that a new member of this military unit that has not yet fulfilled the minimum requirements for grade or rank would be a Space Cadet. Not sure that I'd like to be introduced as Space Cadet Scribe.

But yeah, this newly-minted branch of the armed forces needs a better name. (And honestly, I question why it was even considered.)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Space Force

Post by Slim Cognito »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:04 pm But if it were up to me, “Space” wouldn’t be in the name at all. There’s something about it that rubs me the wrong way. Can’t put my finger on it.
:callonme:

Speaking for myself, as a old 50s scifi buff, it reminds me of the goofiest of the goofy space-themed serials and movies where everything was "space" this and "space" that. "Wash up Timmy while I make space lunch."
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Maybenaut

Space Force

Post by Maybenaut »

humblescribe wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:30 pm

I suspect that a new member of this military unit that has not yet fulfilled the minimum requirements for grade or rank would be a Space Cadet. Not sure that I'd like to be introduced as Space Cadet Scribe.

But yeah, this newly-minted branch of the armed forces needs a better name. (And honestly, I question why it was even considered.)
Well, I think it was conceived of so it wouldn't have to compete for discretionary spending dollars within the Air Force. Each branch of service gets both an authorization bill telling it what is has the authority to do (for DOD that happens annually - the NDAA - but in three years in the Coast Guard Office of Legislation lo these many years ago, I never saw an authorization bill actually get enacted). Each service gets an annual appropriation telling it how much money is appropriated to do the things authorized. There's a bit of overlap (when Congress appropriates money to do a thing for which there is no current authorization, the appropriation is considered the authorization). The appropriations are both specific and general - specific in terms of dollar amounts to be used for specific things, and general in terms of operating expenses. There's also the Military Construction (or MILCON) bill that gets passed every year telling the military what they can/must build and allocates the money for it (that used to be cast in stone until Trump wanted to use MILCON funds to build the wall, and IIRC, the federal courts were OK with the Executive using funds for a purpose other than which they were appropriated -- I could be wrong about that, though -- it's been a while).

Anyhoo, even if Congress appropriated money for space-related stuff, the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force have a great deal of discretion in how/whether/when to spend appropriated funds. Making the Space Force Corps Guard Service Thingy ensures they get all of the money they need to do the job without having to compete with other programs within the Air Force to get things done.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Dr. Ken

Space Force

Post by Dr. Ken »

Space balls
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Sam the Centipede

Space Force

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Spacebow?

To infinitesimals and be gone!
:superhero: :superhero:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Space Force

Post by Foggy »

Spogbow forget I said anything
Out from under. :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Space Force

Post by keith »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:04 pm :snippity:

Space Service is especially WRONG. It cannot be abbreviated in a military context without unfortunate consequences. Secret Service is bad enough.
Well, "Space" is EVERYWHERE. Where are the bounds of their remit?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
much ado

Space Force

Post by much ado »

Space Cases
Sam the Centipede

Space Force

Space Bar?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Space Force

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:18 am Space Bar?
:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Space Force

Post by Frater I*I »

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:24 pmSpace balls
SPACE BALLS!!!!

Oh shit, there goes the planet...

I'll come in again :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bob

Space Force

Post by bob »

A related issue is the United States' purported commitment to the non-militarization of space. "Space Force" suggests the opposite intent.

And, as others have noted, much of what Space Force actually does is barely in space. But "Satellite Engineers" wasn't sexy enough for TFG.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Space Force

Post by RTH10260 »

Nor do "engineers" wear fancy uniforms :biggrin:
Sam the Centipede

Space Force

bob wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:06 pm And, as others have noted, much of what Space Force actually does is barely in space. But "Satellite Engineers" wasn't sexy enough for TFG.
C'mon, be fair, a "satellite engineer" brings to mind the guy who installs your new dish aerial. Not a guy in a space suit with a thruster pack adjusting solar panels.
Maybenaut

Space Force

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:06 pm A related issue is the United States' purported commitment to the non-militarization of space. "Space Force" suggests the opposite intent.

And, as others have noted, much of what Space Force actually does is barely in space. But "Satellite Engineers" wasn't sexy enough for TFG.
That’s it. That’s what was bugging me that my winter-cold-addled brain couldn’t quite land on.
chancery
Verified:

Space Force

Post by chancery »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:03 pm
bob wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:06 pm A related issue is the United States' purported commitment to the non-militarization of space. "Space Force" suggests the opposite intent.

That’s it. That’s what was bugging me that my winter-cold-addled brain couldn’t quite land on.
Yeah, giving up on the commitment to the peaceful use of space is sickening and scary.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Space Force

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:23 pm Anyhoo, even if Congress appropriated money for space-related stuff, the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force have a great deal of discretion in how/whether/when to spend appropriated funds. Making the Space Force Corps Guard Service Thingy ensures they get all of the money they need to do the job without having to compete with other programs within the Air Force to get things done.
To pick a nit, they still have to go through the Secretary of the Air Force on funding as they are a service within the Department of the Air Force (much like the Marine Corps in the Navy Department). They do have their own Chief to sit on the Joint Chiefs, the Chief of Space Operations.

I suspect you are right about the funding structure being part of the whole thing. Despite his great proclamations, the creation of the new service was in the works before Trump was President. I also trust that Congress would not have been rather bipartisan about it if it was only a Trump thing. This is not the first time the "space" end of the military has been an area of great push and pull. IIRC, when the Air Force was created, they not only took the missile and radar stuff from the Army, but they took the missile research/development from the Navy as well (some of this eventually was pushed into the NACA change to NASA). I think this was another sore point for the Navy as it was the season of funding fights and the Revolt of the Admirals.

There is a part of the new service that is the command for any operations against an adversary in space, should the need arise. I suspect this existed in some fashion for some time if only to be prepared should a foreign adversary attempt to break treaties and militarize space, or even some other race that actually arrives. It is the military's work to be prepared within treaty stipulations. Trump being only into the flashy locked on to that small part of the existing command and wanted to grow it.

Most of the rest of the command is quite dull for folks like Trump because engineering satellites, watching space and our borders for missiles or falling objects, and developing future missiles is not really exciting thing for Trump and his fans.

There could also be a reason that getting the various commands and their deltas (what was called wings in the USAF) out of the existing USAF service structure makes them more available to deploy by the Unified Combatant Commands than was available previously since they no longer have to send orders through AF commands to the various space commands. This frees the folks who watch the skies (such as for ICBMS or falling stuff) away from the tactical and strategic wings of the Air Force and the various political plays that happen in the service. I imagine they would prefer the watchers and the cyber folks to be more flexible.
101010 :towel:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”