Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Rightwing Judges Behaving Badly

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Judges Behaving Badly

Post by Maybenaut »

I don’t know whether this judge was “right wing” or not, so I edited the subject line.

Bottom line up front: Jail guard sexually assaulted a female inmate. Judge gave him a choice: enlist in the military or go to jail.

Sorry dude, but it looks like jail is in your future.

I know the Army does for sure, and I’m pretty sure every service says you can’t enlist if you’ve been convicted of a sex offense, and there are no waivers. And the reasons are obvious: First, given the fervor in some quarters regarding the number of sexual assaults in the military, the military wants fewer sex offenders, not more. Second, as a logistical matter, the military doesn’t want the administrative nightmare of ensuring its members comply with various sex offender registration requirements.

Also, back in the 70s there was a line of cases from the Court of Military Appeals that said there was no court-martial jurisdiction over members who enlisted as a condition of a criminal sentence because the enlistment is void as the product of duress, and not merely voidable.

The WAPO article quotes someone as saying the prohibition on enlist-or-go-to-jail can be waived, but I don’t think it can. And even if it can, there is no way the military is going to take a known trouble-maker it can’t then court-martial.

And the optics would be terrible. The jail guard/inmate relationship is not all that different from the senior/subordinate relationship in the military. He’s got a proven track record of using his position in an attempt to extort sexual favors, and when the extortion didn’t work, he assaulted her. I just can’t see any service willing to take him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ail-price/
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Rightwing Judges Behaving Badly

Post by northland10 »

Is the "enlist or jail" thing, even for offenses that are not sex offenses? I thought the enlistment standards went up after they went all volunteer and they don't want to take, nor need to take, those who are potential trouble makers. Joining the service may well be a useful choice for some folks who have been bouncing around in an environment with no structure or direction but they are not, nor do I think they want to be, a home for wayward souls.
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:10 pm Is the "enlist or jail" thing, even for offenses that are not sex offenses? I thought the enlistment standards went up after they went all volunteer and they don't want to take, nor need to take, those who are potential trouble makers. Joining the service may well be a useful choice for some folks who have been bouncing around in an environment with no structure or direction but they are not, nor do I think they want to be, a home for wayward souls.
It is definitely *not* a thing. You’re right - they don’t want to take trouble makers. They make trouble.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

'You should be ashamed of yourself, I'd give you jail time if I could': Judge BERATES 72-year-old man with lymph node cancer for not keeping his lawn tidy because his treatment left him too weak
  • Burhan Chowdhury was berated by a judge on Monday after he appeared in court over an August 2021 ticket for failing to keep up his lawn tidy
    Chowdhury, 72, is battling lymph node cancer and his medical treatments leave him too weak to do yard work
    District Judge Alexis G. Krot told him: 'You should be ashamed of yourself. If I could give you jail time on this, I would'
    Krot issued Chowdbury a $100 fine and told him his actions were 'shameful'
    The elderly man's son called the judge's reaction shocking
By NATASHA ANDERSON FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 15:05 GMT, 13 January 2022 | UPDATED: 21:08 GMT, 13 January 2022

A 72-year-old man battling lymph node cancer was berated by a Michigan judge for failing to keep up his lawn tidy despite the fact that his medical treatments left him too weak to do yard work.

Burhan Chowdhury, of Hamtramck, appeared in virtual court Monday over a ticket he was issued in August because the grass, brush and trees at his home had overgrown, obstructing the sidewalk and alleyway. City ordinance requires property owners to keep public walkways accessible.

'You should be ashamed of yourself,' 31st District Judge Alexis G. Krot told Chowdhury. 'If I could give you jail time on this, I would.'

The judge called Chowdhury's yard 'shameful,' instructed him to clean the yard and issued him a $100 fine to be paid by February.

'You've got to get that cleaned up. That is totally inappropriate,' she said.

Video of the incident shows Chowdhury's son attempting to plead his father's case. He told Krot his father was very sick and the family had taken care of the lawn, however the judge continued to dismiss the family.

'That is shameful. Shameful,' she said. 'The neighbors should not have to look at that.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -tidy.html
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I don't know whether this judge is rightwing or not. But my money says he is.

https://www.centralillinoisproud.com/ne ... aws-anger/

Another article from the Daily Beast says that his criminal docket has been reassigned for the nonce.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Tennessee Judge Who Illegally Jailed Children Plans to Retire, Will Not Seek Reelection
Since 2000, Judge Donna Scott Davenport has overseen juvenile justice in Rutherford County. Following reporting from Nashville Public Radio and ProPublica, public outcry and a bill seeking to oust the judge, Davenport announced her retirement.

by Alexis Marshall and Meribah Knight, Nashville Public Radio, and Ken Armstrong, ProPublica
Co-published with Nashville Public Radio
Jan. 18, 3:25 p.m. EST

This article was produced for ProPublica’s Local Reporting Network in partnership with Nashville Public Radio. Sign up for Dispatches to get stories like this one as soon as they are published.

Update, Jan. 18, 2022: This story was updated to reflect that Judge Donna Scott Davenport will step down this year rather than seek reelection.

Donna Scott Davenport, the juvenile court judge at the center of a controversy over the arrest and detention of children in Rutherford County, Tennessee, has announced that she will step down this year rather than run for reelection.

Earlier on Tuesday, ProPublica and Nashville Public Radio published a story about a move by some Tennessee lawmakers to remove Davenport from her post. About an hour after that story was published on ProPublica’s website, Davenport, in an email sent by the county’s spokesperson, announced that she will not be running for reelection this year. Instead, she plans to retire when her current eight-year term expires this summer.
:snippity:
A bill that was introduced in the Tennessee legislature sought to remove Davenport, following reporting from Nashville Public Radio and ProPublica detailing how the county’s justice system was illegally arresting and jailing children.

https://www.propublica.org/article/new- ... d-children
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Original story, for the record, was likely mentioned on Oldbow
Black Children Were Jailed for a Crime That Doesn’t Exist. Almost Nothing Happened to the Adults in Charge.
Judge Donna Scott Davenport oversees a juvenile justice system in Rutherford County, Tennessee, with a staggering history of jailing children. She said kids must face consequences, which rarely seem to apply to her or the other adults in charge.

by Meribah Knight, Nashville Public Radio, and Ken Armstrong, ProPublica
Oct. 8, 2021, 5 a.m. EDT

Chapter 1: “What in the World?”
Friday, April 15, 2016: Hobgood Elementary School, Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Three police officers were crowded into the assistant principal’s office at Hobgood Elementary School, and Tammy Garrett, the school’s principal, had no idea what to do. One officer, wearing a tactical vest, was telling her: Go get the kids. A second officer was telling her: Don’t go get the kids. The third officer wasn’t saying anything.

Garrett knew the police had been sent to arrest some children, although exactly which children, it would turn out, was unclear to everyone, even to these officers. The names police had given the principal included four girls, now sitting in classrooms throughout the school. All four girls were Black. There was a sixth grader, two fourth graders and a third grader. The youngest was 8. On this sunny Friday afternoon in spring, she wore her hair in pigtails.

A few weeks before, a video had appeared on YouTube. It showed two small boys, 5 and 6 years old, throwing feeble punches at a larger boy as he walked away, while other kids tagged along, some yelling. The scuffle took place off school grounds, after a game of pickup basketball. One kid insulted another kid’s mother, is what started it all.

https://www.propublica.org/article/blac ... esnt-exist
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

They did some messed up stuff.
(dis)Honorable
ABC15 exposes ‘astonishing and horrific’ conduct by judge, staff in major cases

Warning: This story contains words and images that are graphic and cruel.

A Maricopa County Superior Court judge and her staff mocked and ridiculed people during hearings and trials by routinely emailing each other cruel and obscene statements, jokes, and memes.

The conduct happened in major felony cases, including high-profile capital murders.

Emails and internal records obtained by ABC15 show no one was off-limits: Defendants, their families, jurors, witnesses, attorneys, even other court employees and top court officials.

The judge was Erin O’Brien Otis.
https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/i ... ajor-cases

Lots of ugliness detailed at link.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:47 am They did some messed up stuff.
(dis)Honorable
ABC15 exposes ‘astonishing and horrific’ conduct by judge, staff in major cases

Warning: This story contains words and images that are graphic and cruel.

A Maricopa County Superior Court judge and her staff mocked and ridiculed people during hearings and trials by routinely emailing each other cruel and obscene statements, jokes, and memes.

The conduct happened in major felony cases, including high-profile capital murders.

Emails and internal records obtained by ABC15 show no one was off-limits: Defendants, their families, jurors, witnesses, attorneys, even other court employees and top court officials.

The judge was Erin O’Brien Otis.
https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/i ... ajor-cases

Lots of ugliness detailed at link.
Horrific. Now the chick is a prosecutor? Arizona government is a joke. They may have surpassed Texas.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Off Topic
In keeping with long-established FB practice I will now demonstrate my level of maturity;

I quick-read the judge’s name as
Erin O’Brien O’Tits.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I read your post first then read the article. Judge O'Tits it is forevermore. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Judges Behaving Badly

Post by RTH10260 »

of course it's Maricopa County...

raison de arizona

Cancel culture? Much more at thread.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Owensboro judge ousted from office for multiple violations of judicial conduct rules
ANDREW WOLFSON | Louisville Courier Journal

A family court judge from Owensboro who allegedly destroyed evidence and called the presiding judge when her son was charged with assaulting her has been removed from office.

Judge Julia Hawes Gordon also held court late into the night, sometimes requiring parents and their children to appear after midnight.

And when a treatment center refused to test defendants for drugs, Gordon had her staff do so, despite their lack of training, and they put urine samples in the same refrigerator where they stored their lunch.

On Friday afternoon, the Judicial Conduct Commission issued a unanimous decision, ordering Gordon’s ouster from the bench.

“This case does not involve one or two isolated occurrences, but instead involves

Judge Gordon’s pattern of misconduct and her repeated exercise of extremely poor judgment and her engagement in profoundly unwise action — on and off the Bench — that continued for years” the commission said in a 25-page opinion and order.

The panel said Gordon’s misconduct continued even after she learned she was the subject of a massive complaint.

“Judges should maintain the dignity of judicial office at all times, and avoid both impropriety and the appearance of impropriety in their professional and

personal lives,” the commission said. “They should aspire at all times to conduct that ensures the greatest public confidence in their independence, impartiality, integrity, and competence.”

The commission said Gordon “failed in essentially every respect of this fundamental rule applicable to all judges.”

Gordon had already been suspended in December.

https://eu.courier-journal.com/story/ne ... 417072001/

RTH10260

Re:Judges Behaving Badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Harris County civil judges sanctioned for shackling lawyers, irate courtroom outbursts

Nicole Hensley Staff writer
May 7, 2022

A pair of Harris County civil court judges have been sanctioned for behavior in their courtrooms, with one judge allowing the shackling of attorneys and another erupting into fits of rage during a trial.

The reprimand applies to Judge Barbara Stalder in the 280th Family Protective Order Court for holding an attorney in contempt during a February 2020 hearing and then ordering the bailiff to shackle him to a chair in the jury box, according to State Commission on Judicial Conduct documents. A week later, the judge did the same with another attorney.

The commission also ordered that Judge Clinton "Chip" Wells in the 312th Family District Court be admonished and undergo two hours of education on how to appropriately conduct himself for courtroom outbursts of anger aimed at lawyer Teresa Waldrop during an April 2019 divorce trial.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 155566.php
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Loving County has fewer than 120 residents. It has the smallest population for a Texas county.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona

Adam Steinbaugh @adamsteinbaugh wrote: Bailiff who stopped guy from video recording was entitled to qualified immunity because how could he have known the judge might be wrong about the law when the judge was, uh, spontaneously searching the guy's home without a warrant: storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.usco…
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

To me, the truly amazing thing is that the judge actually managed to f*** up so badly that she lost her absolute immunity.

A quick summary of the two forms of federal-court immunity from civil suit that apply in this case:
  • Judges get "absolute immunity". A judge cannot normally be sued for damages for actions taken while handling a case, no matter how wrong or illegal or malicious those actions may be. Absolute immunity is so strong that suing a judge for actions taken during a case instantly jumps into the not-just-wrong-but-frivolous category, the realm of foul creatures like Larry Klayman.
  • Law enforcement officers, like police or bailiffs, get "qualified immunity". A law enforcement officer can't be sued for damages for actions taken in the course of their duties, unless it was already clearly established that the actions were unconstitutional.
Well, in this case, Judge Goldston screwed up so magnificently that she found the exceptions to absolute immunity: "First, a judge is not immune from liability for nonjudicial actions, i.e., actions not taken in the judge’s judicial capacity. Second, a judge is not immune for actions, though judicial in nature, taken in the complete absence of all jurisdiction."

In this case, Judge Goldston's behavior in ordering the search of the house was essentially the approval of a search warrant, even though she refused to call it that. That's a judicial action, and would probably be covered by absolute immunity. But when she actually executed the search warrant by searching the house herself? No. Judges don't do that. That's a nonjudicial action. (And as a footnote points out, it's probably taken in the complete absence of all jurisdiction as well.) So no immunity.

And likewise, no immunity for the municipality, since the municipality seemed to condone or at least accept a pattern and practice of judges performing these sorts of shenanigans.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

WV Judge Pulls Gun in Courtroom – “and Then it Got Weird”

Posted on July 18, 2022

A dozen or so people sent me this media story over the weekend involving a West Virginia judge who has been accused of pulling a gun in his courtroom, mocking the “man purse” of a Texas lawyer’s ex-CIA private security contractor, and otherwise treating her abusively and unfairly. It was first published in the Daily Beast, and also was published in the WV Record on Friday. Now it’s even made the Daily Mail. This involves West Virginia state court Circuit Court Judge David Hummel, in the small town of New Martinsville, in Wetzel County, West Virginia, who presided over a trial regarding gas royalty payments to landowners back in March, being tried by a Texas corporate attorney, Lauren Varnado. She is apparently the source of the allegations. Despite this going viral in the national news, I’m going to point out something to you that I think they may have overlooked. More on that in a minute.

Varnado describes a hostile relationship with the judge after asking him to recuse himself based on a conflict of interest involving the judge’s parents receiving gas royalty payments. She also described a hostile relationship with the local community, requiring professional security. I’m pretty sure this has happened before in West Virginia. Angry locals, armed corporate security, and good ‘ole boy judges. Varnado ended up going to the FBI. And apparently, the Daily Beast. I don’t live in this region in West Virginia, so this is the first I’m hearing of the underlying conflict, or these allegations. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of this judge, and I’m certain that I’ve never appeared before him.

In any event, the Daily Beast reported that Judge Hummel “whipped out his handgun, waved it in the air and left it on the bench with the barrel pointing directly at corporate lawyers who had irritated him.” This is supposed to have occurred on a Saturday, out of the presence of the jury.

https://thecivilrightslawyer.com/2022/0 ... got-weird/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

re above, more

raison de arizona

Whitehall judge who pulled gun on defendant kicked off bench

ALBANY – A gun-wielding town justice in Washington County who repeatedly boasted to fellow judges about pulling his loaded, semi-automatic handgun on a “large Black man” in his courthouse has been kicked off the bench.

Robert J. Putorti Jr., 52, a non-attorney serving Whitehall town and village courts since 2014, told a supervisor that Brandon Wood, the man who he drew the gun on, was 6-feet-9 and "built like a football player." Wood was six feet tall and weighed 165 pounds, according to Thursday's decision by the state Commission on Judicial Conduct.

The commission, a watchdog panel for the judiciary, said it was "troubled by (Putorti's) repeated description of Mr. Wood's race."
Putorti, permitted to carry a concealed weapon since at least 2003, was told at a judge training course in 2013 he could legally carry a gun at the bench. The judge's practice, it said, was to attach his gun via a magnet to the underside of the desktop at his bench while presiding.
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 460055.php
raison de arizona

Exclusive: Federal Judge Vows to Stop Hiring Law Clerks from Yale Law School
‘Yale not only tolerates the cancellation of views — it actively practices it,’ Judge James C. Ho said.

Judge James C. Ho of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit announced Thursday that he would no longer be hiring law clerks from Yale Law School and urged other judges to follow suit. In a keynote address to the Kentucky Chapters Conference of the Federalist Society, titled “Agreeing to Disagree — Restoring America by Resisting Cancel Culture,” Ho cited a number of high-profile examples of speakers being shouted down or otherwise censored at law schools across the country but singled out Yale Law as “one particular law school where cancellations and disruptions seem to occur with special frequency.”

“Yale not only tolerates the cancellation of views — it actively practices it,” Ho said, according to prepared remarks exclusively obtained by National Review. “Starting today, I will no longer hire law clerks from Yale Law School. And I hope that other judges will join me as well.”

Ho has made waves in the past for his outspoken criticisms of left-wing campus culture. In February, in the wake of Georgetown Law’s suspension of Ilya Shapiro, the judge surprised the audience at a Federalist Society–organized event on Georgetown Law’s campus by delivering a resounding defense of Shapiro during a speech that was initially intended to be about originalism. At the time, Ho acknowledged that he “was scheduled to talk” about originalism but said he’d “decided . . . to spend my time today talking about Ilya Shapiro.” In those remarks, which garnered significant public attention, Ho delivered blistering criticism of the campus attitudes that had led to Shapiro’s ouster, arguing that “cancel culture is not just antithetical to our constitutional culture and our American culture,” but “to the very legal system that each of you seeks to join,” and declared: “If Ilya Shapiro is deserving of cancellation, then you should go ahead and cancel me too.”
https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/09/ ... aw-school/

I fergit the exact context, but Shapiro famously tweeted about Ketanji Brown Jackson getting a Supreme Court seat as a “lesser Black woman” whose seat should have gone to a more deserving white man. Presumably.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

But, but, but.....isn't refusing to hire someone from a specific college and encouraging others to do the same.....cancelling students from that college?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:35 pm But, but, but.....isn't refusing to hire someone from a specific college and encouraging others to do the same.....cancelling students from that college?
:winner:

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”