Airline Industry

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Airline Industry

Post by Frater I*I »

I was wrong about the airline maintenance not catching flak...they will. The previous day the flight crew reported pressurization issues. The aircraft should have been taken out of service and inspected for the issue before resuming revenue flights...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

Airline Industry

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:36 pm I was wrong about the airline maintenance not catching flak...they will. The previous day the flight crew reported pressurization issues. The aircraft should have been taken out of service and inspected for the issue before resuming revenue flights...
Thanks for the update.
Frater I*I

Airline Industry

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:06 pm :snippity:
Thanks for the update.
I have only two areas of expertise to offer fogbowzers...

Aviation Maintenance
Infantry tactics and military weapons

The latter doesn't seemed to be often in demand around here... :lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Airline Industry

Post by northland10 »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:34 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:06 pm :snippity:
Thanks for the update.
I have only two areas of expertise to offer fogbowzers...

Aviation Maintenance
Infantry tactics and military weapons

The latter doesn't seemed to be often in demand around here... :lol:
In both of those, I have no experience (well, certain hydraulics on older plains like the F-16 or C-17 may have moved forward from my data entry work , but nothing beyond that), so I appreciate yours.

As for the second one, if we decided to invade Quatloos or something, that area of expertise may come in handy.
101010 :towel:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Airline Industry

Post by Kriselda Gray »

northland10 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:54 am This is what happens when Mcdonnell Douglas buys Boeing with Boeing's money.
How'd that happen?
John Thomas8

Airline Industry

Post by John Thomas8 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:26 pm
northland10 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:54 am This is what happens when Mcdonnell Douglas buys Boeing with Boeing's money.
How'd that happen?
Much leverage and some cash thrown in to boot.

I'll never get on another commercial airliner, too many maintenance gaffs coupled with substandard aircraft manufacturing.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Airline Industry

Post by bill_g »

According to multiple sources (Yahoo, MSN, CNN*) the door plug has been found in a school teacher's back yard. No details yet on the specific location, or on the progress of the NTSB investigation.

*I'd include citations, but the stories are typical hysterical media repeating the same information. There was nothing new to read. It was all click bait.
pipistrelle

Airline Industry

Post by pipistrelle »

I don’t think this is clickbait. It mentions the plug and that the voice data was recorded over.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... rcna132785
Edit: Actually a lot of detail.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Airline Industry

Post by northland10 »

How'd that happen?
It is actually sort of a joke term. While in the merger, Boeing was the larger company and essentially bought McDonnell Douglas, in a few years due to some issues, the leadership of MD ended up taking over the leadership of the combined Boeing and the MD culture of cheapness (which may be a holdover from Douglas) became the dominate culture of Boeing.

In short, Boeing bought McDonnell-Douglas but the combined Boeing ended up being McDonnell-Douglas with a new name. Hence the joke of MD buying Boeing with Boeing's money.
101010 :towel:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Airline Industry

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:58 am I don’t think this is clickbait. It mentions the plug and that the voice data was recorded over.

The lost voice recorder data info was new to me. Thanks for that.

This can't be the first sale of door plugs in Boeing/MD history. I'm betting this was a major FU by production QC, and it's going to require them to inspect every airframe delivered in the last X number of weeks/months/years. There goes MD's austerity culture. TBD.
John Thomas8

Airline Industry

Post by John Thomas8 »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:03 am
How'd that happen?
It is actually sort of a joke term. While in the merger, Boeing was the larger company and essentially bought McDonnell Douglas, in a few years due to some issues, the leadership of MD ended up taking over the leadership of the combined Boeing and the MD culture of cheapness (which may be a holdover from Douglas) became the dominate culture of Boeing.

In short, Boeing bought McDonnell-Douglas but the combined Boeing ended up being McDonnell-Douglas with a new name. Hence the joke of MD buying Boeing with Boeing's money.
r/Boeing on Reddit is quite sad. A tradition of getting things right has been lost to profits.
Frater I*I

Airline Industry

Post by Frater I*I »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:20 am :snippity:
This can't be the first sale of door plugs in Boeing/MD history. I'm betting this was a major FU by production QC, and it's going to require them to inspect every airframe delivered in the last X number of weeks/months/years. There goes MD's austerity culture. TBD.
The FAA has grounded every 737 MAX 9 with the door plug installed and has an emergency AD [Airworthiness Directive] requiring inspections of them. 141 aircraft if I recall the number...

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Airline Industry

Post by raison de arizona »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:29 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:20 am :snippity:
The FAA has grounded every 737 MAX 9 with the door plug installed and has an emergency AD [Airworthiness Directive] requiring inspections of them. 141 aircraft if I recall the number...
That number sounds about what I recall reading earlier, also, the article I read (didn't keep the link) said that it would take 4-8 hours per aircraft to inspect.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Airline Industry

Post by MN-Skeptic »

United finds loose bolts on 737 Max 9 planes in wake of Alaska Airlines door plug incident
United Airlines said Monday that it has found loose bolts during inspections of its 737 Max 9 fleet in the wake of a door plug getting blown out of an Alaska Airlines plane over the weekend.

United won't say how many planes had loose bolts.

"Since we began preliminary inspections on Saturday, we have found instances that appear to relate to installation issues in the door plug -- for example, bolts that needed additional tightening," United said in a statement. "These findings will be remedied by our Tech Ops team to safely return the aircraft to service."
tek

Airline Industry

Post by tek »

another bit of speculation notes that immediately before the first flight that had pressurization problems, the radome for wifi etc was installed on the top of the fuselage roughly above that false-door... question being whether the contractor removed the false-door to do the installation..

But that's idle speculation.
tek

Airline Industry

Post by tek »

Just read that United Airlines has found some loose bolts in some of their MAX9 AD inspections.. not clear whether the loose bolts are related to this failure, but still Not Good.
Dr. Ken

Airline Industry

Post by Dr. Ken »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:27 am
northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:03 am

How'd that happen?

r/Boeing on Reddit is quite sad. A tradition of getting things right has been lost to profits.
And now profits will get affected by them cutting corners
Screenshot 2024-01-08 173902.png
Screenshot 2024-01-08 173902.png (35.95 KiB) Viewed 81721 times
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
John Thomas8

Airline Industry

Post by John Thomas8 »

Not relevant at the time, late stage capitalism is concerned about the next quarter. Top execs and board members will get theirs as the company tanks.

In this instance Boeing is so tied into the military-industrial complex congress won't let them fail. It will remain a husk of itself while providing substandard product produced by miserable people and execs and shareholders will continue to consume all semblance of value.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Airline Industry

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:58 am I don’t think this is clickbait. It mentions the plug and that the voice data was recorded over.

also too
Two cellphones, apparently belonging to passengers who had been on the plane, have also been found — one in a yard and another on the side of the road, she said.
re the voice recorder data: it has (still) limited recording capacity, and when an incident happens the coclpit crew need to flip a switch to prevent the overwriting. I guess in the turbulent moments up to and after landing they did not remember this.
RTH10260

Airline Industry

Post by RTH10260 »

also from the article above
The plane’s first officer lost her headset in the depressurization, and the captain had headset problems, as well, Homendy said. So they turned on a speaker for communication, she said.

“Communication was a serious issue,” Homendy said.

At the same time, the cockpit door opened violently, and a laminated checklist pilots use in an emergency situation flew out, the chair said.
I thought that door had to be terrorist prooof ? :think:
Frater I*I

Airline Industry

Post by Frater I*I »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:38 pm :snippity:
I thought that door had to be terrorist prooof ? :think:
It is, I know because I did the AD mod for 3 United 737-800s that were part of their Guam fleet [they only flew from Guam to areas in Asia, therefore didn't need to comply with the AD until they returned to US airspace]. But it only works if you lock the damn door, which they obviously didn't.... :bored:

Trent Reznor
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Airline Industry

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Airline Industry

Post by Kriselda Gray »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:03 am In short, Boeing bought McDonnell-Douglas but the combined Boeing ended up being McDonnell-Douglas with a new name. Hence the joke of MD buying Boeing with Boeing's money.
Thanks N10!!
RTH10260

Airline Industry

Post by RTH10260 »

United Airlines finds loose bolts on multiple Boeing 737 Max 9 planes
Aircraft model has been grounded after a panel blew off an Alaska Airlines-operated plane mid-flight on Saturday

Dominic Rushe and agencies
Mon 8 Jan 2024 23.31 CET

United Airlines has found loose bolts and other “installation issues” on multiple 737 Max 9 aircraft, it said on Monday, referring to the Boeing model that has been grounded after a panel blew off an Alaska Airlines-operated plane mid-flight over the weekend.

The industry publication Air Current reported that United found discrepant bolts on other parts on at least five panels that were being inspected following the accident. The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Boeing declined to comment.

“Since we began preliminary inspections on Saturday, we have found instances that appear to relate to installation issues in the door plug. For example, bolts that needed additional tightening. These findings will be remedied by our Tech Ops team to safely return the aircraft to service,” United said in a statement.

A cabin panel on a brand-new Alaska Airlines 737 Max blew out on Friday at 16,000ft, forcing the plane to make an emergency landing shortly after its takeoff from Portland, Oregon. No serious injuries were reported. A chunk of the fuselage – weighing 63lb (28.5kg) – was later found in an Oregon teacher’s backyard.

On Monday evening, Alaska Airlines released a statement indicating that maintenance technicians had found issues when inspecting their 737 Max 9 fleet. “Initial reports from our technicians indicate some loose hardware was visible on some aircraft,” the statement said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... max-planes
RTH10260

Airline Industry

Post by RTH10260 »

Loose bolts? That may be a serious quality control problem at Boeing. The video by GG above shows that all bolts ought to be secured by a pin against accidential loosening.

Return to “Economy”