Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

You never know, something important could happen.
pipistrelle

Re: Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:44 am
Danraft wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:39 am I use Carbon, but got kicked out of it again…
It’s a great dark theme— except for highlighting (deadhorse).
And I see what you mean, anything highlighted in yellow is unreadable. White on yellow? No thank you very much. :talktothehand: But I can't change that, the code on the Advanced BBCodes is complicated and I'm sure to break sumpin'.
None of the people doing these themes seems to have a clue about visual design. If it looks like garish vintage video game, kewl.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I improved Carbon some. New logo, got rid of the useless bar that said our name and motto, got an Active Topics link at top and bottom of every page, it's improved.

Moving on, lemme look at the stats, see how many people are using what.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:09 am Furthermore, I really appreciate that LM K changes to red text instead of highlighting. :thumbsup:
Almost missed that, but yes, that's probably the best answer. I will do that from now on. And if something is really important (in my feeble imagination), I might do bold and red text. I think them weirdos who use dark themes can see that OK.

So Andy, here's a question. Which is more readable in a dark theme, standard red or Fogbow Admin Red?
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:08 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:09 am Furthermore, I really appreciate that LM K changes to red text instead of highlighting. :thumbsup:
Almost missed that, but yes, that's probably the best answer. I will do that from now on. And if something is really important (in my feeble imagination), I might do bold and red text. I think them weirdos who use dark themes can see that OK.

So Andy, here's a question. Which is more readable in a dark theme, standard red or Fogbow Admin Red?
Fogbow Admin Red.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:08 pm Which is more readable in a dark theme, standard red or Fogbow Admin Red?
Ah, I forgot Fogbow has a brand identity with Admin Red and Mod Green. It should properly be expanded with full approved fonts and color palettes (with leadership colors/primary colors/alternative shades) along with alternatives if the primary font is unavailable, which it usually is. There should then also be a manual about which fonts are used for headers, and text, and also how to properly use the colors in the correct order. Also, logos (or brands, master brands, marks of leadership, etc) should have have very specific rules of usage and define distance from the log on all directions and the proper color listed by Hex, RGB, and for printed and physical items which do not have, PMS (Pantone Matching System).

Then change it a year and a half later.

All this talk about readability reminds me of a rule I made for students at one point. Penmenship was not a big issue for me as it would be sort of hypocritical given my sloppy handwriting. However, papers and tests had to be done in black or blue ink, or pencil. A nice solid green might be fine but absolutely no gel pens. If they were turned in with gel pens I would not bother to read and it becomes a 0 (a silvery one turned in was the final straw to me making that rule). I told them silver or fluorescent orange are fine for passing notes but not on assignments. I was doing music and basic theater arts so they should have pencils anyway.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

And I absolutely hate it because I can't read it without using my mouse to select the offensive red text. What's wrong with black text on yellow that does not work for people as highlighting -- is that not what we do in the real world?

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Whenever I highlight things on the screen, I have a tough time cleaning it off later.

Pro tip: Don't use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Trust me on this.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:56 pm
And I absolutely hate it because I can't read it without using my mouse to select the offensive red text. What's wrong with black text on yellow that does not work for people as highlighting -- is that not what we do in the real world?

:yeahthat:
It doesn't work too well in creamy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm good with whatever works best for the most people.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

neonzx wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:56 pm What's wrong with black text on yellow that does not work for people as highlighting -- is that not what we do in the real world?

But I explained above, several of the styles do NOT use black on yellow.

They use WHITE ON YELLOW. It looks like this: White text on yellow background

Can you see that OK? 'Cause if not, then there's still a problem with highlighting on some of the themes.

Northland10's plan is adopted in it's entirety, and I expect his full report on my desk first thing Monday morning. Thanks, buddy. :thumbsup:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:30 am
keith wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:23 am Graandview is wider. I might stick with that for a while.
I like Graandview, except for one thing - its really hard to tell which threads have new posts and which threads don't, the little tiny red flag is all you get and my poor ol' eyes can't see so well. Other than that, I really like that one. But try Hexagon and tell me what you think.
I like Hexagon :)
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I like Hexagon as well.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:11 pm
neonzx wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:56 pm What's wrong with black text on yellow that does not work for people as highlighting -- is that not what we do in the real world?

But I explained above, several of the styles do NOT use black on yellow.

They use WHITE ON YELLOW. It looks like this: White text on yellow background

Can you see that OK? 'Cause if not, then there's still a problem with highlighting on some of the themes.

Northland10's plan is adopted in it's entirety, and I expect his full report on my desk first thing Monday morning. Thanks, buddy. :thumbsup:
No, it looks horrible. The stylesheets are mucked when it comes to highlight -- and red text on Creamy is also horrible. It's not your fault, Foghorn -- just shity design by the creators.

X-Creamy works perfect with the highlight tag. Hiya
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

It'll take a bit of getting used to, but I like the "Carbon" setting.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Carbon's not bad, though my Goth-y side like Horizon more :D
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Didn't see a Horizon choice :blackeye:

We use yellow highlight in the sportsball sections, white text/yellow highlight/60 yo eyes isn't working. :crying:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:18 pm
Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:30 am
keith wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:23 am Graandview is wider. I might stick with that for a while.
I like Graandview, except for one thing - its really hard to tell which threads have new posts and which threads don't, the little tiny red flag is all you get and my poor ol' eyes can't see so well. Other than that, I really like that one. But try Hexagon and tell me what you think.
I like Hexagon :)
I tried Hexagon, it was OK until I looked at a post with white on yellow highlighting.

The 'tiny' new post flags in Graandnew are ameliorated somewhat if you use the new posts search instead of the active posts.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

For those who know what a hex code is (for color selection), standard red is #FF0000 and Fogbow Red is #AA0000.

'Course, hexadecimal is used for a lot of stuff. Anybody see The Martian?
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

After trying different colors, it looks like for a highlight color red seems to work the best for most styles, including dark ones. I will try to use that in the future.
101010 :towel:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:05 pm After trying different colors, it looks like for a highlight color red seems to work the best for most styles, including dark ones. I will try to use that in the future.
Nope.
391893jjs.png
391893jjs.png (28.85 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Psychologically red is a terrible color.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

northland10 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:05 pm After trying different colors, it looks like for a highlight color red seems to work the best for most styles, including dark ones. I will try to use that in the future.
Try color code PINK.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:56 pm Psychologically red is a terrible color.
Correct. Red is a terrible color for this from the forum standpoint. It invokes alarm -- which is why it is used in "red lights" and emergency vehicles.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Red.
768fea.png
768fea.png (35.77 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Growing up with a color blind (the more common red/green variety) brother, I’m very conscious of the fact that red looks brown to a sizable number of people and is a very poor choice as a highlight color. My recent college graduate niece is in film production and showed me a short promotion film she had just made. I told her run it by her dad because I could see potential areas where he would miss something she was trying to highlight.

Return to “Announcements”