Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

You never know, something important could happen.
sugar magnolia

Re: Foggy's Progress - a record of improvements to the forum

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:06 am Oh yeah, and for future iterations of the forum you might want to try having a small physical port installed on the side of your neck, USB-C of course. Brief surgical procedure (I didn't say minor, I said brief), nothing to worry about. Supposedly you can plug in and be on the forum eight hours a day while you sleep, and then go about your normal routine.

Theater of the Absurd, groovy. :thumbsup:

This will solve the problem with people getting logged out.

Permanently. :mrgreen:
I have a Power Port in my right shoulder so maybe that's what keeps me logged in.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Resistance is futile.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Huh, I always use "Unread Posts". If a topic doesn't appear there, that means that hasn't been a new post since I last looked there or clicked "Mark all read", so it might be technically active, but not active since I last showed an interest.

There are many topics I have little prior interest in, so I skim down the unread topics list, click on topics that intrigue me, with the friendly button that takes me directly to the oldest unread (by me) post (no guessing page numbers or scrolling down), then when there's nothing more I want to look at, I clear out the list with "Mark all read", neat and tidy.

I can't see any reason to use a different strategy, except perhaps after not visiting for a long time, when "Active topics" might sometimes be a better guide. Might, might not.

Foggy gives you the tools - it's your choice whether you use them with surgical precision of as blunderbusses!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I have a couple cupboards that could use your attention.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

ports.jpg
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

If you want posts marked as read, use the Reds theme. If not, all your posts will be unred. Mine are sort of reddish (Graand New), which is like many of the posts here are for me, sort of readish.
101010 :towel:
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

I think I will try this:
hymie.jpg
hymie.jpg (82.3 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

bill_g wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 am Damn it! Someone told me I was supposed to put it in the dongle. I put it in the dangle, and it's never worked right.

Live and learn.
Easy peasy, just insert a gender bender twixt your dangle and your dongle and you'll be up and running in no time.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

qbawl wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:06 pm
bill_g wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:14 am Damn it! Someone told me I was supposed to put it in the dongle. I put it in the dangle, and it's never worked right.

Live and learn.
Easy peasy, just insert a gender bender twixt your dangle and your dongle and you'll be up and running in no time.
Running and screaming.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

A twofer, yay!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Lansdowne wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:09 am
Unless it has changed, this isn't it. Unread Topics relates to the User not the browser.
If you browse Fogbow not-logged-in, Unread Topics is not available (it doesn't know who you are, so doesn't know what you have read).
And as far as I know if you read a Topic on one browser, then log in on another, the topic will not appear (as it isn't Unread by you!). So it is the server that remembers when every user last read every Topic - and until a new reply has been made that you haven't seen, that Topic won't appear in your list.
Yeah, i guess i was lazy describing that, your description is better. Also unread is not a subset of new, it appears to be a subset of active, or maybe even the whole ball and wax which sorta makes more sense.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I've always used Active Topics and questioned why anyone would use anything else. But I've been trying out Unread Posts now, and I'm a convert.
Image Image Image Image
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:14 pm I've always used Active Topics and questioned why anyone would use anything else. But I've been trying out Unread Posts now, and I'm a convert.
Ditto
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

for the Fogmaster:
I am using Prosilver the standard version on desktop Chrome browser on Windows. The Fogbow image does not show in the header, the phpBB logo is displyed in its place. Still work in progress? (ssems to be ok on the mobile side)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

As predicted, almost all of our board styles have been updated to fit with the latest version of the phpBB software, which we have installed on Fogbow.

Wait, we have the latest version of phpBB, not the latest versions of the board styles.

And guess what? Yes, you are remembering correctly, if I update the board style YOU are using, then you have to go back into the User Control Panel and set your own style AGAIN omg how tedious does it even get.

And then I have to fix the logos and the Active Topics/Unread Posts links, and then I get a nap. :faint:

But I shall hold off on updating until Sunday morning when I do maintenance. :talktothehand:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
OK, as you know, the forum software was recently updated, and now the various board styles we use have also been updated.
THEREFORE, on Sunday at 6:00 a.m. when I do maintenance, the following board styles will be changed.

AS YOU KNOW, WHEN I UPDATE THE BOARD STYLES, IF YOU ARE NOT ALREADY USING PROSILVER, YOU WILL BE WHEN I'M DONE. YOU WILL BE REMOVED FROM USING YOUR BOARD STYLE UNTIL YOU GO BACK INTO THE USER CONTROL PANEL AND CHOOSE THAT BOARD STYLE AGAIN. IF IT'S STILL THERE. ;)

We are going from:

StyleCurrent VersionNew Version
Carbon1.3.71.3.8
Graand New1.2.21.2.3
Green - Style1.3.51.3.6
Hexagon2.2.4HexagonReborn
prosilver DarkNEWwho cares
prosilver Special Edition3.3.53.3.6
Reds (2020)3.3.5GONE!
X-Creamy1.2.71.2.8
:whisper: Whole table done with pipes and text, I'll haz you know.

NOTE THE IMPORTANT CHANGES:

1. I am getting rid of Reds (2020), it's too close to Graand New, and only one person uses it, they can use Graand New. Or, change my mind, but honestly ...

2. NEW STYLE: prosilver Dark - the description is, "prosilver, but dark". I know that helps. There are MANY color schemes you can use.

3. We are moving from HEXAGON to HEXAGON REBORN. This is the one I'm in love with, but there's a whole new version of the style so we're going to try it. There are supposed to be some light styles included.

4. If you use X-Creamy, don't even bother me, you monsters. :fingerwag: Wait until I'm done, should be less than an hour, then go back into your UCP and select X-Creamy again, you're done.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

But but X-Creamy is dreamy,
Changing it will make me Screamy,
People will have to hug me.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, walk it off, ya hiccups aunt dracojones, whatever they are. :lol:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Nice thing about X-Creamy: the color makes it easy to spot the Fogbow if you have about a billion pages open like I do.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OK, lemme test all the new board styles, then I'll work on logos and Active Topics/Unread Posts liinks top and bottom, you know the drill by now. That requires coding each individual style, and it requires concentration, and today, like every day that ends with a Y, is going to be a bizzy day for the poor ol' rooster that everybody loves to kick around whenever they're bored or havin' a bad day.

If you like Hexagon (hi Kriselda :wave:), when you get to UCP --> Board preferences and change to that style, DON'T MISS THE COLOR PICKER AT THE TOP which allows you to change the orange (on black, yeah it's dark) to blue, green, there's a bunch of dots and you click one, presto change-o.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Since the upgrade, I am unable to see any of the tweet. They just show perpetual loading.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OK, let me look at that. You mean since the upgrade two weeks ago, not the board style updates I did this morning, right Five Acres?
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Foggy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:30 am OK, let me look at that. You mean since the upgrade two weeks ago, not the board style updates I did this morning, right Five Acres?
No. This morning. I would have whined earlier if I had a problem earlier. I am good like that. :biggrin:

I am using prosilver and logged into my twitter account in this browser.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The Media Embed page did have a warning, but I fixed it. Let me work on styles, then I'll get to Twitter.

'Course, like every other problem, remember Foggy's First Rule: Don't Make Me Work.

No, I mean:
If it's happening to everybody, I will work on it until it is fixed or the Sun goes red giant, whichever comes first. But if it's only happening to you, then I have to come over to your house to fix it, and that means hotel, transportation, meals, and so forth.

Yeah, that's it. Foggy's First Rule.

I'm doing styles now. :oldman:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Here are the possible board styles and results of my testing:
StyleResults
Carbonworks, lots of grey, probably appropriate for GreatGrey's birthday
Graand Newworks, very red. Very, very red, but I like it.
Green style (includes two versions)works, and surprise surprise, it's green.
HexagonReborn (includes a light version)works, and the light version is nice, and it has that COLOR PICKER which is uber cool
prosilver (Dark Edition)this is your prosilver in a dark style, links and titles etc. are blue, it's very readable and easy on the eyes
X-Creamystill dreamy
prosilver Special Editionyeah, it works too.
So pick one, and I'll work on the logos and stuff later. To see the finished product, stick with prosilver, it's in perfect shape with a logo.

Return to “Announcements”