Critical Race Theory

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by raison de arizona »

The way I read this, there are vast swaths of American history that one will be unable to teach in North Dakota if it passes, such as the 3/5ths compromise or anything about the 15th Amendment. Boo. Hiss.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:24 pm
Aaaaand...so what if it did?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

One of the governor-hopefuls for the election next year was interviewed today. He said he wouldn't allow critical race theory to be taught in Pennsylvania schools. republican idiot.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Next up: wanted posters in the Post Office.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

What do they want taught instead? Skousen.
raison de arizona

@EricaForDerry is not very educated.

Also, too, she is wrong, the 3/5ths Compromise specifically excluded indentured servants and taxed Native Americans.
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Picture, 1000 words. CRT succinctly explained.

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.spotlightpa.org/news/2021/1 ... ettysburg/
I got yer "Confederate Removal Time" right here:
After removing a trio of Confederate historical markers an hour west of Gettysburg, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission has replaced two with significant revisions that view Confederate milestones through a more critical lens.

The McConnellsburg, Fulton County, markers and plaques commemorate the first deaths of Confederate soldiers in Pennsylvania and the site of the Southern army’s last encampment here. The state removed them in September of 2020, capping a review initiated by the state historical commission and Gov. Tom Wolf’s office following deadly violence in Charlottesville, Va., three years prior.

Two of the items have been revised to position the Union army more centrally in the historical narrative and to depict the Confederates as a destructive invading force. The items were reinstalled in May, said Howard Pollman of the commission, which oversees the state’s historical marker program.

The third item — a bronze plaque dedicated by a neo-Confederate group before the commission gained oversight — will not be replaced.
and some are not thrilled by this
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
raison de arizona

I’m getting sick and tired of hearing parents say they don’t want their children “exposed” to that.
tek

Post by tek »

Sad thing is that their children might not be strong enough to learn about it. but that is not "its" fault.

We have a pretty good amount of defective parenting here in 'murrica. (we are probably not alone)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Actually, the kids are likely strong enough to learn about it and understand it. The parents, not so much.

I remember a conference session with a presenter who had been, among other things, a principal in Mississippi. This is the one from whom I first heard the statement "if you plant corn, you get corn." The joking aside, her presentation was focused on how you break the cycle of dislike and/or distrust of the schools and the teachers as the parents passed their discipline issues as students on their children. White privilege and hatred of diversity are hard to kill not because the students can't learn it but you have to unlearn what their parents teach them every day they go home from school. Some students manage it do it, others do not.
101010 :towel:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

So Virginia has a anti-critical race theory bill they're trying to pass. This is why CRT is important:
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... +ful+HB781
3. The founding documents of the United States, including the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution, the Federalist Papers, including Essays 10 and 51, excerpts from Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America, the first debate between Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass, and the writings of the Founding Fathers of the United States.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:14 pm So Virginia has a anti-critical race theory bill they're trying to pass. This is why CRT is important:
https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp60 ... +ful+HB781
3. The founding documents of the United States, including the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution, the Federalist Papers, including Essays 10 and 51, excerpts from Alexis de Tocqueville's Democracy in America, the first debate between Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass, and the writings of the Founding Fathers of the United States.
Morans.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Showing my ignorance here, but what is the significance of that particular debate in this context?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:43 pm Showing my ignorance here, but what is the significance of that particular debate in this context?
Lincoln never debated Frederick Douglass. Lincoln did a series of debates with Senator Steven Douglas.

Frederick Douglass-

Stephen Douglas-

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:43 pm Showing my ignorance here, but what is the significance of that particular debate in this context?
Stephen Douglass was Lincoln's opponent in the debate (and my great^something-uncle). Frederick Douglass was a Black activist of the time. Spelling of names may be off slightly.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Got it, and feeling even more ignorant than I already did, but thanks for the info - I do appreciate it :)
raison de arizona

People in Alabama are calling the superintendent of schools and complaining that Black History Month is Critical Race Theory
► Show Spoiler
Lani

Post by Lani »

I grew up just outside of Alexandria, VA. There was a statute we passed by when we entered the town. The man's arms were crossed and his head was bowed. It showed so such grief to me as a child. My mom was from California. When I asked about it, she said he was sad because of the loss of life and his home and his regrets about the Civil War.

MUCH later I learned that the statue was named Appomattox and had the names of Alexandrians who died serving the Confederacy inscribed on the base of the statue. The Lost Cause.

In 2020 it was removed, for good reasons.
alexandriaappomattox2.JPG
alexandriaappomattox2.JPG (78.62 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

woodrow fucking dumbass racist wilson helped birthed the Lost Cause fuckwittery:

Lani

Post by Lani »

Unfortunately, I'm related to him. :( I have a postcard from my paternal family about dining with him in the White House.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/zackkg/status/14894 ... ybOr1MNqDA
Professorial ZKG @zackkg wrote: Briefly returning to Twitter-land to report that a student came up to me after class today, and showed me a copy of the draft anti-CRT bill on his laptop and told me that "soon you won't be able to teach like that anymore."

It was a strange and somewhat menacing exchange; he couldn't actually point to any facts or interpretations that he disagreed with. He just knew that he didn't like it.

Anyway, if any senior administrators at the University of Mississippi (or the people working for Zook) are still monitoring this largely-dormant account, you should be aware of what's coming. And if you still want to have a university, you should make a plan for how to respond.
raison de arizona

Farron Cousins @farronbalanced wrote: My wife may end up getting fired from her teaching job (as a special education teacher in Florida) because a parent has accused her of teaching “critical race theory.” I’m trying to keep it together but my blood is boiling.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Lani wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:59 am Unfortunately, I'm related to him. :( I have a postcard from my paternal family about dining with him in the White House.
I dated one of his great(?)grandsons. He’s now a (perennial) failed libertarian Presidential candidate.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”