Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Critical Race Theory

RVInit

Re: Critical Race Theory

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Are most of the bills being passed against CRT stating simply that "CRT is banned" (in more legalistic terms)? Or are they providing a definition of CRT or a list of what kinds of topics, etc, are being outlawed. I'm wondering, if there are states that are just banning "CRT" without giving any definition or examples, would a teacher being able to defend themselves by pointing out that what they were teaching *wasn't* CRT? And in states where they do offer a definition or examples, such as saying that they can't teach anything that makes a kid feel uncomfortable or distressed about their race, could those be challenged with a claim that it's unreasonably vague or broad? I guess I'm just wondering if there are any ways teachers can defend themselves or - even better - that the laws themselves could be challenged.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:00 pm Are most of the bills being passed against CRT stating simply that "CRT is banned" (in more legalistic terms)? Or are they providing a definition of CRT or a list of what kinds of topics, etc, are being outlawed.
Most of them are using wording along the lines of 'teaching things that imply races or individuals are responsible for things', or 'makes (white) kids ashamed to be white/american/whatever', so all about the interpretation or emotional reaction to material as opposed to specific things.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

neeneko wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:30 am Most of them are using wording along the lines of 'teaching things that imply races or individuals are responsible for things', or 'makes (white) kids ashamed to be white/american/whatever', so all about the interpretation or emotional reaction to material as opposed to specific things.
I thought the GOP branded itself as the party of "individual responsibility." Maybe this is just another example of American exceptionalism: groups or individuals ARE RESPONSIBLE for things, EXCEPT when it is our group or individuals aligned with us.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh sure, a bunch of overeducated keyboard weenies, we're not letting those people tell us how to educate our kids.

Let's find the dumbest religious whackjob frootloop morons on the planet, and let THEM decide what our children learn.

What could possibly go wrong? :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Florida targets school math textbooks over critical race theory objections

The Florida Department of Education on Friday said the state will not include dozens of math textbooks in a list used by school districts to buy books for classrooms because their content included references to critical race theory and other “prohibited topics” and “unsolicited strategies.”

The announcement was made in a press release titled “Florida Rejects Publishers’ Attempts to Indoctrinate Students.” It did not include the names of any of the books or provide specific examples of the content that prompted their objections. The state agency said that 54 of the 132 textbooks that publishers submitted for the state’s review were “impermissible with either Florida’s new standards or contained prohibited topics — the most in Florida’s history.” Most of the books that were not approved were for grades K-5, the statement said.

“Reasons for rejecting textbooks included references to Critical Race Theory (CRT), inclusions of Common Core, and the unsolicited addition of Social Emotional Learning (SEL) in mathematics,” the press release said.
:snippity:
Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran has made no secret of his plan to address social issues through textbook adoption. In a May 2021 speech at conservative Hillsdale College, Corcoran spoke of the need to get “crazy liberal stuff” out of the state’s instructional materials.
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 69692.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

I'd love to know how Critical Race Theory sneaked into public school math books. Can anyone quote some examples??
raison de arizona

Fortinbras wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:10 am I'd love to know how Critical Race Theory sneaked into public school math books. Can anyone quote some examples??
They disallowed over fifty books (over a third) but refused to name any of them or provide a single example.

Funny that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Wait, so inclusion of Common Core, a standard that states got together and developed, are reason to reject a math text????
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I swear I am watching my neighbors devolve before my eyes.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neeneko wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:25 am Wait, so inclusion of Common Core, a standard that states got together and developed, are reason to reject a math text????
Wasn't Common Core what got Terry Trussell (sp?) so fired up he tried to take over a real grand jury? I know CC has been on Florida's shit list for a quite some time.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yup. Here in Lee County, they got the school board so worked up they voted on the spot to revoke it, until the next day when it was explained to them (it was spring) that the seniors wouldn't be given a HS diploma without a curriculum in place so they called an emergency meeting to reinstate it. Then the state developed some bs backassward curriculum so they could replace CC with it.

PG and I attended Trussell's trial* and the people testifying as character witnesses all bitched about Common Core, calling it Commie Core and insisted it taught kindergartners to masturbate, for example. It was such a nightmare, we both thought he'd be acquitted but, shocker, they found him guilty, so shame on me for assuming they were all backwater rednecks.

*I only made it two days bc I had a bunch of women corner me in the bathroom demanding to know who I was "reporting" for. That was after returning to the courthouse after a lunch break, as TT was holding court in the parking lot, and he pointed out my car as we exited.

A couple of people had offered to pay my expenses to stay, but hubs had just bought me a really nice car for a Christmas gift and I didn't want it effed up so I bailed. I wish I'd been there for the verdict, tho.

Who was our resident troll back then, Gimmy Truth or something like that? I was busy scribbling notes (I was a transcriptionist and still knew shorthand) while PG kept me up on what I missed. She also ran interference. Gimmy came over wanting to know if he could read my notes and before I could answer PG grabbed them and left the courtroom.

Good times.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Yeah, Common Core followed the same basic pattern as CRT, and I suspect the people pushing the CRT panic are using the same tools. People don't know what it is, but they are scared of it anyway.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Question: where will FL get qualified workers in a decade from now, when this generation (and future ones) reach the job market? How to compensate for the lack of knowledge? Will colleges and universities have special qualifying exams for FL students? There are only so many burger flipping jobs. Not to think that the new generation will even have enough free cash to feast on burger.
raison de arizona

Andrew Lawrence @ndrew_lawrence wrote: this lady is suing the school district bc her son wont do his chores bc of critical race theory
https://nypost.com/2022/05/13/virginia- ... y-son-mom/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I pulled a muscle last weekend. I blame CRT.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Puberty has nothing to do with a 13-year-old being defiant. Must be CRT.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:09 pm Puberty has nothing to do with a 13-year-old being defiant. Must be CRT.
LOL... :rotflmao:

I have good friends of mine who have a 9 and 6 yo. I told them this is generally the "sweet spot" of parenting-- enjoy this while it lasts. 8-)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
My kids were not rebellious as teenagers. I took them on that 6,500 mile camping trip out West in 2015, and we were together 24/7 for three solid weeks. They were helpful at the campsites, they never fought for a minute, and we got along great the whole trip.

I musta done sumpin' right, but I don't know what it was. :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
tek

Post by tek »

Foggy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:18 am
Off Topic
My kids were not rebellious as teenagers. I took them on that 6,500 mile camping trip out West in 2015, and we were together 24/7 for three solid weeks. They were helpful at the campsites, they never fought for a minute, and we got along great the whole trip.

Did you keep them in line with Cranky Rooster Tantrums?
:batting:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Off Topic

Didn't you let them watch your cartoon work?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Off Topic

Yeah maybe being married to Helicopter Mom helped?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:08 pm https: //twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1526346608039845889
Andrew Lawrence @ndrew_lawrence wrote: this lady is suing the school district bc her son wont do his chores bc of critical race theory
https://nypost.com/2022/05/13/virginia- ... y-son-mom/
Okay. Got it. Her teenage 8th grade biracial kid learned something in school which woke him up causing a reaction, and she's telling it to the world on Fox News because no other teen has ever since the dawn of time has ever come to a realization that forces a reaction from them. Evah!

She clearly has not arrived at the I'm-gonna-cut-off-your-head-and-shit-down-your-throat phase of teenage boys yet. Not that I'm wishing it on her, but I'd love for her to be on Fox News again and again telling how he leaves his clothes everywhere, won't pick up his room, got caught smoking, and dented the car.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If she thought her teen was difficult before, wait until the kids at school start teasing him about his wackjob mother.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”