Fox News, Newsmax, OAN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Fox News, Newsmax, OANN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Post by Slim Cognito »

If the RW media is convinced the public won’t watch the hearings, why are they rushing to prepare counter programming?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:20 am
Fox News ran 1,098 primetime segments on Benghazi from the day of the attack until the committee hearings, which they carried live for more than 7 hours.

Today they announced they won’t cover the hearings on the January 6th insurrection.
Huh. I wonder what the stats on, say, CNN or MSNBC are for Benghazi over the same time period.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:52 am If the RW media is convinced the public won’t watch the hearings, why are they rushing to prepare counter programming?
Counter programming is for an audience of one.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

On Fox this morning they were discussing that Biden only works four days a week, that on Fridays he heads to Delaware for "ice cream with Jill." Further, that they only let him speak in the morning, because he declines in the afternoon and his dementia is unable to be denied, as he unable to even read from a teleprompter past morning.

Did you not watch his barn burner primetime address on gun violence JUST IN THE LAST WEEK?

Believe what we tell you, not what you see, and what you hear.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I read this on my phone, but it won't let me read it or online, so I'm just adding the link.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2022/0 ... -news.html

This article is about a not-quite-so-new player in the right-wing media, EWTN, a Catholic news network. I remember it from the early days. The founding nun, Mother Angelica, looked so much like my grandmother who had passed, so I used to tune in occasionally. Those early days of prayer and mass are mostly gone. It's mostly where the anti-Pope Francis stuff comes from here now.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:34 pm This article is about a not-quite-so-new player in the right-wing media, EWTN, a Catholic news network. I remember it from the early days. The founding nun, Mother Angelica, looked so much like my grandmother who had passed, so I used to tune in occasionally. Those early days of prayer and mass are mostly gone. It's mostly where the anti-Pope Francis stuff comes from here now.
Ya I used to watch EWTN myself. Good chanel for faith baserd stuff. and they had a really, really good news show.I remember, for example, that when the rest of the media was going into screaming hysterics about Ebola, they had 3 serious experts on who spoke about it in a very calm way to give solid information.

They started changing pretty repidly around the beghinning of 2016, and I saw the writing on the wall. So I havent watched them since.
Hic sunt dracones
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:34 pm This article is about a not-quite-so-new player in the right-wing media, EWTN, a Catholic news network. I remember it from the early days. The founding nun, Mother Angelica, looked so much like my grandmother who had passed, so I used to tune in occasionally. Those early days of prayer and mass are mostly gone. It's mostly where the anti-Pope Francis stuff comes from here now.
Yeah, the cross pollination is really fascinating here. Evangelicals looked at the economic juggernaut that is the roman catholic institution and wanted to recreate it with their own flavor of prosperity gospel and televangalism. After those started to rake in cash and power, lay american catholic groups looked at that success and went 'huh, now how can we get a piece of that with our own market? The two groups really feel like they have been merging, and this is a great example of that process.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... 5ac85eef24
News broke Monday evening that Fox News will not show the first session of the January 6th Select Committee Hearing, and will instead air its regular partisan opinion programming, featuring hosts who have relentlessly attacked the investigation into the attack on the Capitol.

Judged entirely from a business perspective, the decision to ignore the hearings and instead run counter-programming for a loyal viewership not interested in re-litigating the events of that day makes a lot of sense, in terms of advertising revenue.

It also goes without saying that these hearings will be incredibly embarrassing for Fox News, given network hosts privately urged then-President Donald Trump to stop the attack, while absolving him of responsibility for it on air.

But in terms of journalistic standards, or even from a desire to keep an audience well-informed, the decision is nothing short of disgraceful — and damaging to the nation.

The decision is as clear as evidence to date that Fox News has far less interest in a well-informed audience and instead prioritizes profits over principles (though long time critics will guffaw at the notion that there have been any journalistic principles in play in Fox News prime time for at least five years.)
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:torches:

Was just told by another reporter in the room that it was James Rosen of Newsmax that asked whether McConaughey was "grandstanding"
After Matthew McConaughey's heart-wrenching and impassioned speech about Uvalde and guns from the White House podium, one of the reporters asks: "Are you grandstanding?"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Fox News host Sandra Smith dismisses McConaughey's heart-wrenching call for gun control: "Someone from Hollywood calling to restore our family values."
:explode:

Fred Guttenberg is on Deadline WH right now, and said the speech was spot on and wished he could give the actor a great big bear hug.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:17 pm
Yeah, the cross pollination is really fascinating here. Evangelicals looked at the economic juggernaut that is the roman catholic institution...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Ahem, I know you are just speaking from whatever here, but no. They run a worldwide organization on a shoestring. The Dioceses going bankrupt in the states should be a big clue.

People point at the 170 billion it raises in the USA and say that is an indicator of the wealth of the church, but the problem is, not a single penny does into the CC directly. Every penny of that us used to run hospitals and the health system in South America, where the Local Governments either cant or wont provide a health system for its citizens.

The other problem is that each diocese essentially runs its own fundraising and accounts, so there is no big Central temple like in Scientology where the money sloshes together. That money raised locally is used locally. But people club it all together and claim the CC is a massive financial juggernaut, when it really is more of a lumpy porridge financially. You might as well club all the money Plumbers make together and say Plumbers are fantastically rich.

Some people took a stab at trying to the question here. https://christianity.stackexchange.com/ ... or-charity

But ya if Evangelicals were looking at the CC as some kind of big Scrooge McDuck moneybin to emulate, they would be in for a shock. :rotflmao: Now if the Evangelicals raise money and then don't actually use it for anything then they probably could ring in the cash.
Hic sunt dracones
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Suranis wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:53 pm
neeneko wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:17 pm Yeah, the cross pollination is really fascinating here. Evangelicals looked at the economic juggernaut that is the roman catholic institution...
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I will no longer engage with you on this or any other topic.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

... ok. :?
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:31 pm On Fox this morning they were discussing that Biden only works four days a week, that on Fridays he heads to Delaware for "ice cream with Jill." Further, that they only let him speak in the morning, because he declines in the afternoon and his dementia is unable to be denied, as he unable to even read from a teleprompter past morning.

Did you not watch his barn burner primetime address on gun violence JUST IN THE LAST WEEK?

Yeah, you’d think there was some kind of conspiracy to sink his presidency or something with the exact same accusations made about their very own Shitgibbon during his presidency!

They’ve never been very original. About anything.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:19 pm
Fox News host Sandra Smith dismisses McConaughey's heart-wrenching call for gun control: "Someone from Hollywood calling to restore our family values."
:explode:

Fred Guttenberg is on Deadline WH right now, and said the speech was spot on and wished he could give the actor a great big bear hug.
Actually, someone from Uvalde. Based on his own words, that seemed to be his overwhelming connection, not his stature as an actor.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:roll:
Watters: What are the WH going to do now? They’re going to put Tom Cruise out to talk about inflation?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

They don't realize McConaughey is from Ulvalde, do they?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:51 pm They don't realize McConaughey is from Ulvalde, do they?
They don't care. Also, McConaughey is a long time gun control advocate, FWIW. IIRC, he spoke at March For Our Lives or some other large gathering.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:54 pm :torches:
Was just told by another reporter in the room that it was James Rosen of Newsmax that asked whether McConaughey was "grandstanding"
After Matthew McConaughey's heart-wrenching and impassioned speech about Uvalde and guns from the White House podium, one of the reporters asks: "Are you grandstanding?"
This seems appropriate for McConaughey's response to the Newsmax idiot.
I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you
Because, instead of asking questions to collect facts, he is indeed grandstanding for the Newsmax crowd.

In the days of my youth, 5,000 high school AV rooms would have fewer projections than the current right-wing.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:02 pm Does Tucker have any look than the one of being constipated in need of a laxative?
From the evidence posted here-no.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:31 pm On Fox this morning they were discussing that Biden only works four days a week, that on Fridays he heads to Delaware for "ice cream with Jill." Further, that they only let him speak in the morning, because he declines in the afternoon and his dementia is unable to be denied, as he unable to even read from a teleprompter past morning.

When was the last time Biden boarded a plane or wandered around with toilet paper stuck to his shoe or failed to lower an umbrella? Or held onto a water bottle for dear life with both hands?
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:17 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:02 pm Does Tucker have any look than the one of being constipated in need of a laxative?
Well, there’s his maniacally laughing face.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:25 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:17 pm
Well, there’s his maniacally laughing face.
That is actually the act of relief when the Ex-Lax finally kicks in...... :mrgreen:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tuned in to F&f First for a bit. They were whinging about Karine Jean Pierre (sp?) and her lying lies. Like...Trump's press secretaries were so honest and truthful. :roll:

Return to “Current Politics”