Fox News, Newsmax, OAN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Azastan
Verified:

Re: Fox News, Newsmax, OANN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:10 am
Maria: I think your father came too close to the fire.. the corruption fire. He figured it out real quick that there was incredible corruption and once he figured it out and started talking about it, they wanted him out
No, she's absolutely right. "They" wanted him out because he figured out how to put his fingers into the pie and he was starting to pull out all the plums which "they" wanted for themselves.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

"Incredibly crupt" isn't even English.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:09 am Weren't both Trump bois clean shaven until about the same time the Duck Dynasty bois grew beards to look less like California surfer bois and more like Deliverance rejects?
No idea about the Duckers, but Spawn were totally clean shaven till after the 2016 election. They must have made a decision to pop the facial hair after that for some reason.

Knowing him., it would not surprise me that someone said to Daddy that the spawn looked really well, and he took it at a criticism of himself and ordered Facial hair.
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Who are "they?" It can't be the dems, because if we cheated, we've have kicked McConnell, etc, to the curb. So "they" must be Republicans.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

She would gladly pay her property taxes if Fox finds and returns her legs.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
tek

Post by tek »

Atticus Finch wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:57 pm She would gladly pay her property taxes if Fox finds and returns her legs.
:yeahthat:
raison de arizona

OAN, brought to you courtesy of AT&T. As it turns out.
Special Report: How AT&T helped build far-right One America News

One America News, the far-right network whose fortunes and viewership rose amid the triumph and tumult of the Trump administration, has flourished with support from a surprising source: AT&T Inc, the world's largest communications company.

A Reuters review of court records shows the role AT&T played in creating and funding OAN, a network that continues to spread conspiracy theories about the 2020 election and the COVID-19 pandemic.

OAN founder and chief executive Robert Herring Sr has testified that the inspiration to launch OAN in 2013 came from AT&T executives.

“They told us they wanted a conservative network,” Herring said during a 2019 deposition seen by Reuters. “They only had one, which was Fox News, and they had seven others on the other [leftwing] side. When they said that, I jumped to it and built one.”

Since then, AT&T has been a crucial source of funds flowing into OAN, providing tens of millions of dollars in revenue, court records show. Ninety percent of OAN’s revenue came from a contract with AT&T-owned television platforms, including satellite broadcaster DirecTV, according to 2020 sworn testimony by an OAN accountant.

Herring has testified he was offered $250 million for OAN in 2019. Without the DirecTV deal, the accountant said under oath, the network’s value “would be zero.”

Dallas-based AT&T, a mobile-phone and Internet provider, also owns entertainment giant Warner Media, which includes CNN and HBO. AT&T acquired DirecTV in 2015 and in August spun off the satellite service, retaining a 70% share in the new, independently managed company. AT&T’s total U.S. television subscriber base, including satellite and streaming services, fell from 26 million in 2015 to 15.4 million as of August.
:snippity:
https://www.reuters.com/business/media- ... 021-10-06/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Time to find a new cell service provider....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

From the October 5, 2021, edition of Quake Media's The Laura Ingraham Show Podcast

VICTOR DAVIS HANSON (GUEST): Once you have the idea that a person has constitutional rights and the consent of the governed and the official serves the people and not vice versa, then all sorts of wonderful things happen.

You can -- you can address problems with a majority vote. You can have courts that are not based on tribal affiliations. You can hire people that are not just your first cousin.

It's a meritocratic idea, and it's not based on this primitive -- it's very primitive. I mean, we don't like to use that word, but when we start identifying by our superficial appearance and we say, "We're going to pick that person because he looks like us," or "Those people over there have a particular ethnic cachet," then it all unwinds.

And I think it'll unwind very quickly, because there's no record I know of of any multiracial, multi-ethnic society that made it other than maybe the Ottomans and the Soviets for a while in the Roman Empire, that -- they used the level of coercion that we find, you know, antithetical.
https://www.mediamatters.org/laura-ingr ... ic-society
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I'm told that in Australia, the Murdoch press has has flipped and gone all climate change warrior. 8 page wrap arounds explaining the issue, and straight out admissions that the editorial position has changed. But the arent firing their vile commenters, or directing them to change their tone.

I have no way to verify this, as I don't read his papers, watch his TV or listen to his radio.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-14/ ... /100056660

FACT CHECK
How large is Rupert Murdoch's reach through News Corp in Australian media, old and new?
RMIT ABC Fact Check
Posted Wed 14 Apr 2021 at 8:53amWednesday 14 Apr 2021 at 8:53am, updated Sun 2 May 2021 at 9:05pm

Former prime minister Kevin Rudd's petition to establish a royal commission into media diversity in Australia attracted more than half a million signatures and took aim at Rupert Murdoch, whose media empire Mr Rudd labelled a "cancer on democracy".

Another ex-prime minister Malcolm Turnbull also weighed in, branding it "an absolute threat to our democracy" and "the most powerful political actor in Australia".

Mr Rudd's petition, with support from Mr Turnbull, led to a Senate inquiry into Australia's news media and Mr Murdoch's role in it.

So, just what is his reach?

In this fact file, RMIT ABC Fact Check takes a look at the breadth and popularity of Mr Murdoch's Australian media outlets, relative to their competitors.

Given the focus by Mr Rudd and Mr Turnbull on Australian democracy, this analysis is limited to the coverage of news and current affairs in Australia.

Print newspapers
Digital newspapers
Online news
Television
Social media
Facebook
YouTube
Radio
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Media Watch is almost always on target...

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episo ... h/13539698

If News Corp is about to take global warming seriously, rather than just on its younger-aiming website News.com.au, it really would be something.

And in the US, The New York Times and Vanity Fair were excited by the news.

But plenty of people warned them not to believe it, with veteran climate scientist Michael Mann quipping:

“Color me skeptical,” … “Until Rupert Murdoch and News Corp call off their attack dogs at Fox News and The Wall Street Journal, who continue to promote climate change disinformation on a daily basis, these are hollow promises …”

- The New York Times, 6 September, 2021

Former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, who has accused News of doing enormous damage to the world through climate denialism, was also unconvinced:

“... If there’s a change there, that would be significant,” ...

“I’m not going to give them credit for something they haven’t done yet.”

- The New York Times, 6 September, 2021

And another former PM Kevin Rudd agreed with both of them, branding it greenwashing and tweeting:

It’s all politics. They want to accommodate Morrison …

- Twitter, @MrKRudd, 8 September, 2021

Casting further doubt on the supposed change of tack, several senior figures at News Corp last week knew nothing about it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Acosta: The reason why federal investigators and millions of Americans are terrified by right wing violence is because it keeps happening and Tucker Carlson is inciting more of it… The Murdoch family is cashing in as American democracy is being set ablaze
tek

Post by tek »

Kendra wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:26 pm
Acosta: The reason why federal investigators and millions of Americans are terrified by right wing violence is because it keeps happening and Tucker Carlson is inciting more of it… The Murdoch family is cashing in as American democracy is being set ablaze
Magic Eight Ball says "It is decidedly so"
raison de arizona

:roll:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Yeah - Democrats are taking their time - waiting for the bamboo to arrive from China - those damn supply chain issues.... ;)
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yeah, dog forbid we actually count the ballots.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Because everyone knows that getting tested every day prevents you from getting sick. :roll:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:05 am
Because everyone knows that getting tested every day prevents you from getting sick. :roll:
He was talking about the Tuckers of the world, not about, y'know, sane people.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

STOP MAKING ME AGREE WITH GERALDO!

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Current Politics”