Fox News, Newsmax, OAN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Slarti the White wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:43 pm While I agree that this is nothing, like we've seen before as far as DirecTV is concerned, I also have to acknowledge that Newsmax is probably going to get a lot of traction with this conspiracy theory amongst those in their bubble. With the birthers we've certainly seen that debunking is pretty much useless in defusing the conspiratorial mindset.
I mentioned above, or somewhere on TFB, that I suspected their request for an actual fee (it was advertiser support only on the former contract) was all done as political theater. I doubt they did much negotiating but made it a take-it-or-leave-it demand and at&t (this is DirectTV and u-verse) calculated that Newsmax viewers who would leave would be less of a financial impact than accepting the new fee request.

For Newsmax, either result works. If they got their fee, more cash, if not, they can play the victim and make noise. The latter was probably the preferred result.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

You can watch Newsmax TV for free on their own website. Why should any cable company pay Newsmax for the privilege of carrying their TV stream when they make it available for free to anyone with an internet connection?
tek

Post by tek »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:30 pm You can watch Newsmax TV for free on their own website. Why should any cable company pay Newsmax for the privilege of carrying their TV stream when they make it available for free to anyone with an internet connection?
This is exactly one of the arguments AT&T made.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

If a marginal network wants more money and the company is going to charge it to the end customer, they should consider that customers don't want to pay more, and they don't want to pay more for someone else's crazy. I'm paying for sports channels I'll never look at but at least I can see the logic they should be available because they are popular and useful to a wide swath of customers. But this? No.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

tek wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:12 am
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:30 pm You can watch Newsmax TV for free on their own website. Why should any cable company pay Newsmax for the privilege of carrying their TV stream when they make it available for free to anyone with an internet connection?
This is exactly one of the arguments AT&T made.
The counterargument, I suppose:
This is a map of America’s broadband problem
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Maria Bartiromo and Ron Johnson recklessly speculate that Biden let the balloon fly across America because he's compromised by China
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Miller: This SOTU by Biden was a mess. It had no vision, no narrative, no memorable lines. Compared to Trump’s SOTU which were historically memorable, moving, were engaging, had drama, memorable lines.

Maria: They were using solar panels for unlimited power, unlimited energy to continue the surveillance program.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:33 pm :snippity:
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1624798930717270016
Maria: They were using solar panels for unlimited power, unlimited energy1 to continue the surveillance program.2
1 - did not make a link to the US missing all those goodies
2 - fear of the Deep State, CIA, FBI, BLM, ANTIFA :cantlook:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Turned on Fox and Friends first for a few minutes. During the discussion of these objects in the sky, the hosts and the vile Joe Concha had to repeatedly hammer the point that Biden was actually present in the WH for a change vs. going to Delaware on the weekend. No mention of the frequent trips to Trump golf clubs for four years...
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:25 am Turned on Fox and Friends first for a few minutes. During the discussion of these objects in the sky, the hosts and the vile Joe Concha had to repeatedly hammer the point that Biden was actually present in the WH for a change vs. going to Delaware on the weekend. No mention of the frequent trips to Trump golf clubs for four years...
If the presidents are at their private place taking the weekend or longer off, there is a "mobile WH" in place to keep the communications current. I remember from the GWB days that the government built a whole underground facility for that reason. I bet at MaL there was enough space to be requisitioned for that purpose, as at the T tower.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Hannity has been harping on that it was a 2015 rule by Biden/Obama that caused the Ohio derailment. Which is exactly the opposite of what is true.
Decoding Fox News @DecodingFoxNews wrote: Sean Hannity will most likely insist that train safety guidelines were changed in 2015 as long as the Ohio derailment stays in the news. He's either confused or lying. I've included a local news segment from 2017 that explains how Trump changed the rule.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Laura Ingraham blames John Fetterman's wife for his health problems.

https://crooksandliars.com/2023/02/laur ... -fetterman

I just can't quote this crap.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Scare tactics, filling their heads full of hooey.
Decoding Fox News @DecodingFoxNews wrote: During a segment about NASCAR, Will Cain interviews a random fan of Fox News. The man's biggest fear is immigrants killing Americans. He definitely watches a lot of Fox News since the network heavily pushes that theme.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Off camera, Fox hosts doubted 2020 election fraud claims

https://apnews.com/article/united-state ... 8a908d566f
To millions of viewers, Fox News hosts gave allies of former President Donald Trump a platform to champion false claims that he lost the 2020 election because of voter fraud. To one another, they expressed doubts about the claims and mocked the people making them.

Private exchanges between Fox News hosts Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham, and other network bigwigs — including the chairman of Fox Corporation, Rupert Murdoch — show a wide chasm between what the network promoted in primetime and the doubts that its stars held behind the camera, according to new court filings in a defamation lawsuit being waged by a company whose voting systems were regularly maligned on air.

“Sidney Powell is lying” about having evidence for election fraud, Carlson said via text on Nov. 16, 2020 to a Fox News producer, referring to one of Trump’s lawyers.

Ingraham texted Carlson that Powell is “a complete nut. No one will work with her. Ditto with Rudy,” referring to the former New York mayor and Trump supporter Rudy Giuliani.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:14 pm Laura Ingraham blames John Fetterman's wife for his health problems.

https://crooksandliars.com/2023/02/laur ... -fetterman

I just can't quote this crap.
Aside from that, the underlying message is that he's "impaired." No, many (even most) stroke victims are not impaired in the way implied. Offensive on all levels.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Fox Executives considered this cutting away from Kayleigh a brand threat.

If you wanna know why Kristin Fisher left a White House correspondent job at the most-watched cable news network to be the space reporter for CNN, look no further than how Fox treated her for fact-checking Rudy Giuliani's nutty press conference.
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

Kendra wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:33 pm
Miller: This SOTU by Biden was a mess. It had no vision, no narrative, no memorable lines. Compared to Trump’s SOTU which were historically memorable, moving, were engaging, had drama, memorable lines.
Miller was Trump’s speechwriter. I feel that is a very important fact to note in this context. Miller is masturbating on air.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Gupwalla wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:32 pm
Kendra wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:33 pm
Miller was Trump’s speechwriter. I feel that is a very important fact to note in this context. Miller is masturbating on air.
Good point, there are times I'm too lazy to point out the obvious. Miller is the vilest of the vile.

Speaking of Fox, I heard it on air today (forget which show), and I'm thinking it was more speculation than stated fact, but all these Fox hosts seemed to change their tune when ratings tanked and the stock price dropped. If part of their salary was stock...well...that could get their attention. Again, just speculation I heard and not stated fact. Yet.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Kendra wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:28 pm
Fox Executives considered this cutting away from Kayleigh a brand threat.

If you wanna know why Kristin Fisher left a White House correspondent job at the most-watched cable news network to be the space reporter for CNN, look no further than how Fox treated her for fact-checking Rudy Giuliani's nutty press conference.
Fox News: For when the Truth is a Brand Threat!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/jeanine-pir ... ump-admin/

Jeanine Pirro ‘Fact Checks’ Jessica Tarlov by Wrongly Claiming Congress Repealed Train Safety Rule Instead of Trump Admin
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

neonzx wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:22 am https://www.mediaite.com/tv/jeanine-pir ... ump-admin/

Jeanine Pirro ‘Fact Checks’ Jessica Tarlov by Wrongly Claiming Congress Repealed Train Safety Rule Instead of Trump Admin
The day Trump turns on her even for a momentary and incidental underbussing, she will be "Pickled Jeanine Pirro", I will bet on that.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:25 am Turned on Fox and Friends first for a few minutes. During the discussion of these objects in the sky, the hosts and the vile Joe Concha had to repeatedly hammer the point that Biden was actually present in the WH for a change vs. going to Delaware on the weekend. No mention of the frequent trips to Trump golf clubs for four years...

Trump was only doing that to help a struggling American small business. He didn't want o go, but felt it was his duty.
If the presidents are at their private place taking the weekend or longer off, there is a "mobile WH" in place to keep the communications current. I remember from the GWB days that the government built a whole underground facility for that reason. I bet at MaL there was enough space to be requisitioned for that purpose, as at the T tower.
The difference is, W didn't charge them rent. Not only did Trump (still to this day) charge the Secret Service rent, he charged them more than any paying customers at either place was paying.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/fox-s ... 2abf770353
Hosted by Howard Kurtz, this Sunday’s edition of the hour-long program opted not to cover the bombshell revelations involving Fox News and many of its personalities and executives — which were made public in a newly-unsealed filing from the Dominion voting systems $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against the network.

The decision to look the other way on the Dominion filing might not be an enormous shock, given the unflattering nature of the revelations against Fox News. Among the stunning news to come out of the filing was an email from Rupert Murdoch to Fox News President Suzanne Scott in which the media mogul called for the network to be “helping” former President Donald Trump “any way we can.” Also, several Fox News executives described a number of the network’s own hosts and anchors as “crazy.”

The network has maintained the revelations are “noise,” arguing that they are “irrelevant” to the case.
If anyone at Fox dived into the story today, if would have been Howie, but crickets again.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Maggot Media Outlets reports that Dominion interviewed crisis actors ... :liar: :twisted:
Jim

Post by Jim »

Fox News texts give judge 'unheard of' chance to rule in billion dollar defamation lawsuit: legal experts
The "staggering volume" of texts from Fox News personalities showing they knew they were lying to their viewers about 2020 election fraud could lead the judge overseeing the $1.6 billion Dominion lawsuits to quickly rule against the conservative network without even going to trial.

That is the opinion of legal scholars -- some of whom were stunned by the mountain of evidence presented in the legal brief submitted to the court by Dominion Voting Systems -- who spoke with the Guardian's Charles Kaiser.

With the Fox hosts candidly admitting in private texts that they lied on-air in an effort to drive up their ratings, several of the legal experts suggested Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric M. Davis could make a landmark ruling and cut to the damages phase.

According to noted legal scholar Laurence Tribe, "I have never seen a defamation case with such overwhelming proof that the defendant admitted in writing that it was making up fake information in order to increase its viewership and its revenues. Fox and its producers and performers were lying as part of their business model.”
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... fb0c070a9c

Return to “Current Politics”