Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fox News, Newsmax, OAN, and other TV purveyors of fake news

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:12 am Yeah - balloon loaded with bioweapons :brickwallsmall: Even IFF, at 66000 feet the radiation will render any critter inactive, especially when months in that environment. Second, the critter would need to survive icy cold temperatures, like -56C / -69F. Third the balloon is loaded with a fairly small amount of helium that expands while the balloon reaches lower pressures while gaining height. Not much place for a significant amount ofpotential biohazard. Fourth, any "dropplets" released at height dissipate in the "thin air" and will not reach ground.
Yeah, yeah, but that's not as grabbing and catchy as BIOWEAPONS FROM CHINA IN A BALLOON with <insert Faux host>.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

BUT... But... but... do we know for sure that this balloon comes from Sheeenaaa :?: Has it been inspected for fabric made with bamboo :?: I call for an immediate fraudit at the highest levels :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

:lol:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Reality Check wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:14 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:06 pm I suspect it has more to do with the number of viewers, but that might just be me.
It is over money. Newsmax wants higher carriage fees and DirecTV does not want to pay them.
Yeah, these carriage fee disputes happen all of the time. I do wonder if, this time, Newmax is trying to gin up a controversy by demanding much higher fees, knowing at&t (the dispute is with them as it also included U-verse) would not accept it. They may realize that their viewer base is not large enough to justify the carrier paying higher fees, but they know their base thinks of themselves as much larger than they really are.

This plays right into their need to show themselves as the victim of some leftist plot.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:58 pm Yeah, these carriage fee disputes happen all of the time. I do wonder if, this time, Newmax is trying to gin up a controversy by demanding much higher fees, knowing at&t (the dispute is with them as it also included U-verse) would not accept it. They may realize that their viewer base is not large enough to justify the carrier paying higher fees, but they know their base thinks of themselves as much larger than they really are.

This plays right into their need to show themselves as the victim of some leftist plot.
As I understand the backstory, DirecTV was carrying Newsmax for free. Then Newsmax now wants a carriage fee per subscriber (which DirecTV would have to pass onto their service subscribers-- including all those who don't tune in to that channel).

You are right, disputes over carriage fees are not a new thing. It is one reason I do not have cable or packaged services of channels. I don't want part of my monthly payment enriching FoxNews or the Golf Channel. Give me al-a-carte choices, not "packages". That is the old-school early 80s model. It's all digtal now. They could do it differently.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fox-s ... a03bf44c59
Fox News host Pete Hegseth was flabbergasted by the government’s response to a Chinese spy balloon found floating above Montana this week.

China maintained its claim in Saturday statements that the device is a meteorological tool that flew off course. The Pentagon and other officials have shot down this claim. Though the device is suspected by officials to be a surveillance tool, officials claim they fear shooting it down could cause damage to the surrounding area.

While discussing with co-hosts Will Cain and Rachel Campos Duffy what exactly the balloon could be, whether strictly a surveillance tool or an experimental probe, Hegseth lost it over the seeming lack of action on the part of President Joe Biden and his administration.

“Is there something I’m missing here? Is this okay in this world, if they’re getting intelligence in real time about our people, our places, and our military?” Hegseth, a combat veteran and U.S. Army officer, said. “And the Pentagon’s going to sit back and say, ‘well, this is unacceptable, so we’re going to let it fly off the East Coast’? Because we’re worried about some debris falling on the ground?”
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

What's the probleme Pete? The Russians have been flying spy satellites for decades over the US of A without you requesting the govenments (eg Republican adminstrations among them) jump to action and remove the objects from the skies. China has only recently been placing satellites into orbit, they still have to catch up with the numbers. Maybe balloons are their preferred method.

ps. How would you feel if foreign nations were to tinker with US toys in the sky?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:48 pm What's the probleme Pete? The Russians have been flying spy satellites for decades over the US of A without you requesting the govenments (eg Republican adminstrations among them) jump to action and remove the objects from the skies. China has only recently been placing satellites into orbit, they still have to catch up with the numbers. Maybe balloons are their preferred method.

ps. How would you feel if foreign nations were to tinker with US toys in the sky?
:thumbsup:

Hegseth has to be the vilest of the viles except Tucker.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Acyn @Acyn wrote: “President Trump put forward a very aggressive America first policy and that's why China wouldn't
fly balloons over America..”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Maria: Did it drop and disburse surveillance products powered by solar energy to allow unlimited surveillance?
:crazy: :tinfoil: :koolaid:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

You are carrying one of the chips in your sholder, you just have not noticed it yet cause you are too much on Faux News :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I heard that it spread a virus that only kills Republicans. :shh: :silenced: :talktothehand:

That's why Joe waited until it was finished. :rockon:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fox-f ... ba39651ba2
Fox & Friends went off on General Mark Milley as they believe he ignored Prsident Joe Biden’s orders to shoot down China’s spy balloon.

The aftermath of the balloon’s traversing the country was the A1 story for the curvy couch Monday morning, which involved Fox & Friends co-hosts taking turns to deride and mock recent reports that Chinese spy balloons also made their way into the U.S. during the Trump administration.

After Pete Hegseth took the lead in declaring “I don’t buy” the reports, Brian Kilmeade said it was “terrible” if news of these three incursions failed to make it up the chain of command during the Trump years. Kilmeade also noted how high-ranking former Trump officials (including the ex-president) are disputing the notion that Chinese spy balloons floated into the U.S. on their watch.
Video at the link.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kilmeade was all over Milley on his radio show this AM as well, definitely not a fan.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 51e5b03e26
Fox News contributor Sean Duffy dropped all veneer of analytic speculation by declaring his opinion that President Joe Biden is “compromised” by the Chinese.

The former Republican congressman was Outnumbered’s #OneLuckyGuy on Monday, and he joined the panel to discuss the push for Congress to ban TikTok and cut off the data collection from the Chinese-owned social media platform. The topic drew renewed interest after the U.S. shot down a Chinese spy balloon last week after it floated across a large swath of the country.

As Duffy spoke about TikTok as a national security risk, he expressed doubt that a congressional push against it would succeed. He based this on Biden revoking a Trump-era executive order to forbid TikTok downloads, though Duffy didn’t say anything about Biden approving a ban of the app on government phones.

“Joe Biden has to sign that bill, and Joe Biden got rid of the Trump ban on TikTok,” Duffy groaned.

“So why did he?” Harris Faulkner asked. “Just because it had Trump’s name on it?”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

little kids aren't as obsessed with Disney as these people are
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I worked at Walt Disney World when I was in high school. A large percentage of employees at that time were openly gay, the company was known to be very supportive and did not appear to discriminate against LGBTQ+ persons. While I worked there a coworker expressed her interest in me, and I was very flattered that an intelligent, good looking woman would be attracted to me. It didn't surprise me that Disney would officially come out in support of LGBTQ, since they seemed (at least to me) to have a long history of support, with many management at all levels being part of the gay community.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 51e5b03e26
Fox News contributor Sean Duffy dropped all veneer of analytic speculation by declaring his opinion that President Joe Biden is “compromised” by the Chinese.

The former Republican congressman was Outnumbered’s #OneLuckyGuy on Monday, and he joined the panel to discuss the push for Congress to ban TikTok and cut off the data collection from the Chinese-owned social media platform. The topic drew renewed interest after the U.S. shot down a Chinese spy balloon last week after it floated across a large swath of the country.

remotepc.com
As Duffy spoke about TikTok as a national security risk, he expressed doubt that a congressional push against it would succeed. He based this on Biden revoking a Trump-era executive order to forbid TikTok downloads, though Duffy didn’t say anything about Biden approving a ban of the app on government phones.

“Joe Biden has to sign that bill, and Joe Biden got rid of the Trump ban on TikTok,” Duffy groaned.

“So why did he?” Harris Faulkner asked. “Just because it had Trump’s name on it?”

“Listen, I’m a ‘Joe Biden’s compromised guy,'” Duffy answered. “I don’t know why, otherwise he wouldn’t have done it.”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

That damn Art. 1, Sect. 6 “speech or debate” clause. Didn’t they just read the Constitution on the floor?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Newsmax CEO calls outlet's removal from DirecTV 'blatant act' of censorship of most faith-friendly news channel

https://www.christianpost.com/news/news ... rship.html
It’s been about two weeks since DirecTV canceled conservative news network Newsmax in what the channel’s CEO is calling a “blatant act of political discrimination and censorship.”

Late last month, DirecTV took Newsmax off the air in roughly 13.5 million homes after the two companies failed to reach an agreement on a new carriage deal.

Newsmax CEO Christopher Ruddy told The Christian Post that DirecTV is “angry” simply because the Florida-based Newsmax is seeking a very “modest” fee of about a dollar per subscriber.

For Ruddy, it’s a clear-cut example of political censorship for a network that’s frequently touted by the likes of former President Donald Trump and potential 2024 presidential candidate Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

“Newsmax has been censored by DirecTV,” he told CP. “They removed us from their platform in 13 million homes almost two weeks ago and we're still off.

“It's a blatant act of political discrimination and censorship,” Ruddy added. :snippity:
“Since we would not agree to Newsmax’s demand to pay them tens of millions of dollars in licensing fees, DirecTV was no longer permitted by Newsmax to air its content,” DirecTV said in a statement. :snippity:
Why does DirecTV hate baby Jebus?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The same thing has happened to me with CNN in the past. I think my cable provider was unable to show CNN for up to two weeks when it came time to renew. They finally came to an agreement and CNN reappeared, but it was out for a while more than one time.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

RVInit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:05 pm The same thing has happened to me with CNN in the past. I think my cable provider was unable to show CNN for up to two weeks when it came time to renew. They finally came to an agreement and CNN reappeared, but it was out for a while more than one time.
CNN and provider contract $ disputes is understandable. CNN has a large customer base-- the ones who actively tune-in, not just because it is including in their cable 'bundle' package.

Newsmax? Not so much. Yeah I have a couple wack-a-doodle relatives who watch their programming but it is certainly not mainstream. Why pay for content one never watches?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RVInit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:05 pm The same thing has happened to me with CNN in the past. I think my cable provider was unable to show CNN for up to two weeks when it came time to renew. They finally came to an agreement and CNN reappeared, but it was out for a while more than one time.
I recall many episodes like that with various cable/satellite providers and channels over the years. Typically were resolved in a few weeks. Also disputes between hospital systems and heath insurers.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:17 pm
CNN and provider contract $ disputes is understandable. CNN has a large customer base-- the ones who actively tune-in, not just because it is including in their cable 'bundle' package.

Newsmax? Not so much. Yeah I have a couple wack-a-doodle relatives who watch their programming but it is certainly not mainstream. Why pay for content one never watches?
I probably wasn't clear about my point, sorry about that. I was just making the point that contract disputes are not entirely unusual and don't indicate a conspiracy against Newsmax.
--Colin Kaepernick
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

RVInit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:26 pm

I probably wasn't clear about my point, sorry about that. I was just making the point that contract disputes are not entirely unusual and don't indicate a conspiracy against Newsmax.
While I agree that this is nothing, like we've seen before as far as DirecTV is concerned, I also have to acknowledge that Newsmax is probably going to get a lot of traction with this conspiracy theory amongst those in their bubble. With the birthers we've certainly seen that debunking is pretty much useless in defusing the conspiratorial mindset.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slarti the White wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:43 pm
RVInit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:26 pm

While I agree that this is nothing, like we've seen before as far as DirecTV is concerned, I also have to acknowledge that Newsmax is probably going to get a lot of traction with this conspiracy theory amongst those in their bubble. With the birthers we've certainly seen that debunking is pretty much useless in defusing the conspiratorial mindset.
Yes, I totally agree.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Current Politics”