Killing of Ahmaud Arbery - Trial of the McMichaels and Bryan Set for October 18, 2021

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Killing of Ahmed Arbery - Trial of the McMichaels and Bryan Set for October 18, 2021

Post by LM K »

The jury didn't witness the lawyer saying that shit, did they?
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Dave from down under

Re: Killing of Ahmed Arbery - Trial of the McMichaels and Bryan Set for October 18, 2021

Post by Dave from down under »

LM K wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:06 am The jury didn't witness the lawyer saying that shit, did they?
I believe not.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Lawyers being racists? Not uncommon, Governor George Wallace a noted Segregationist was a graduate of Alabama University Law School.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

One would think they’d have more serious things to worry about than who sits with the family of the victim.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Atticus Finch wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:43 am Lawyers being racists? Not uncommon, Governor George Wallace a noted Segregationist was a graduate of Alabama University Law School.
He's gone now. We're trying to move on from that stuff.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
filly

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:22 am One would think they’d have more serious things to worry about than who sits with the family of the victim.
One would think. One would think a lawyer wouldn’t call his client a moron on national television too.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Does anyone else find it odd that this trial is most often called the Ahmed Arbery trial, and the other trial going on is the Rittenhouse trial.

I ponder things like that sometimes.
Dave from down under

Yes..
Me too.

I think the issue is 3 defendants/victims makes it harder to fit in a 3 second sound bite.

I prefer TFB among convention as it clearly Arbery was killed rather than doing the killing (Rittenhouse).
filly

Post by filly »

Funny thing I read the other day: Roddie’s lawyer grew up on Long Island!
Dave from down under

Where was he radicalised?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

How did he get his Georgia accent?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Defense tries to have Jesse Jackson removed from court in trial for Ahmaud Arbery death

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/defens ... ium=Social
A lawyer for one of the three white men charged with murdering Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man, in their southern Georgia neighborhood failed in an attempt to have the judge remove civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson from the courtroom on Monday.

The same lawyer, Kevin Gough, made a similarly unsuccessful attempt last week to get the court to prevent any more "Black pastors" attending the trial after the Rev. Al Sharpton, another civil rights leader, was seen sitting with Arbery's parents in the public gallery.

After the jury was sent out, Gough stood in the Glynn County Superior Court and said he objected to what he called "an icon in the civil rights movement" sitting between Arbery's parents.

"How many pastors does the Arbery family have?" he said, referring to a similar objection he had made on Thursday to Sharpton's visit. "The seats in the public gallery of a courtroom are not like courtside seats at a Lakers game."
Judge said his ruling last week stands. Judge also denied defense request for a mistrial.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

"Judge, I see black people in the courtroom, again".

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dave from down under

Defense lawyers in the Ahmaud Arbery murder trial called for a mistrial because Arbery's mother cried in court

The defense team in the trial over Ahmaud Arbery's death once again called for a mistrial on Monday.

They argued that the jury could be swayed by Arbery's mother, who cried during court.

The judge denied the request, saying he needed to keep "balance" in the court.

Lawyers for William Bryan, Travis McMichael, and Greg McMichael — the trio accused of fatally shooting Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia last year — called for a mistrial on Monday, arguing that jurors could be swayed because Arbery's mother cried in court.

Judge Timothy Walmsley had adjourned the case after he heard "weeping in the back" during a witness' testimony.

But before the case could resume, defense attorney Kevin Gough called for a mistrial.

Defense lawyer Robert Rubin joined the motion, saying he noticed "several jurors" saw Arbery's mom sob. Rubin claimed the jurors expressed "sympathy."

"These types of moments ... favor the state," he said.

Franklin Hogue, a defense attorney for Greg McMichael, also backed the motion.

Gough, who had caused a stir last week after calling for "no more Black pastors" to be allowed into the courtroom, also again objected on Monday when he saw civil rights leader the Rev. Jessie Jackson in the court's gallery, asking "how many pastors does the Arbery family have?"

Gough said the presence of Black ministers would influence the members of the jury.

But Walmsley shut down the defense lawyer, saying he had already denied the motion for a mistrial the last time Gough requested one.

"At this point, I'm not exactly sure what you're doing," Walmsley said. "At this point, it's almost as if you're just trying to continue this for purposes other than just bringing it to the court's attention and I find that objectionable from the court's standpoint."

When Gough began to speak again, Walmsley interrupted: "I'm done talking about this."

In denying the mistrial request, Walmsley said steps are taken to ensure jurors are not influenced by anything happening outside the courthouse in the case.

"I will say that is directly in response, Mr. Gough, to statements you made which I find reprehensible," the judge said.

Walmsley said that the court has been "balancing a lot of things" to "respect members of the public's rights" to enter the courtroom.

"You need to understand that your words in this courtroom have an impact on a lot of what's going on," he said. "And so my measured response at this point is to balance all of that out and try to move forward with the trial."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/defense-lawy ... 12440.html
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

William Bryan's defense attorney just made one of the worst closing arguments I've heard since the Terry Trussell trial. He told the jury he would show a video clip, then said it wasnt available, said Bryan said he wished he had hit Arbery, then said Bryan had no intention of harming Arbery, referenced another clip which he was unable to pull up for the jury, rambled about Mr.Bryan inviting police to view his videos, that Bryan, with a "twelfth-hrade education - or whatever" wished he had stayed home that day, and Bryan didnt feel he had done anything wrong.

I've seen better lawyering in Teen Court.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

He didn't "feel" he'd done anything wrong. That's a nice excuse, if you can get it.
► Show Spoiler
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Bryan’s attorney, Kevin Gough, argued on Wednesday that Arbery seemed suspicious to his client because he didn’t call out for help as the McMichaels chased him past Bryan’s front porch where Bryan was working.

“Mr. Arbery has the opportunity, before Mr. Bryan even understands what’s going on, to speak and say, ‘Help! Call 911!'”

Gough added: “That doesn’t happen.”

Gough also suggested that Arbery was up to no good.
Tiredretiredlawyer

This is the opening statement, isn't it? He had deferred his opening.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:28 pm This is the opening statement, isn't it? He had deferred his opening.
My mistake. You are correct.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Prosecutor asked a witness if she thinks property theft deserves a penalty of death. Defense is having a cow, public admonishments requested, mistrial, etc. Judge doesn't seem too worked up about it though, but we'll see after the lunch break.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:41 am How did he get his Georgia accent?
Same way Shrub got his fake Texas accent. I went to law school with a guy from CAY-RO Illinois. He was brilliant, top of the class but sounded like he was from the deep woods south. Fast forward a few years and I see him in tv. He has become a hotshot with SDNY. Accent miraculously vanished!
filly

Post by filly »

This is more like a real courtroom. Interesting to watch/listen to.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Did I hear right? On cross-examination, McMichael the Younger, persisted in not answering "yes" or "no". At some point I think I heard him say he would not have stopped his truck if he saw Ahmaud Arbery was armed.

IF he said that, it makes me go, " Hmmmm?"
Jim

Post by Jim »

filly wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:04 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:41 am How did he get his Georgia accent?
Same way Shrub got his fake Texas accent. I went to law school with a guy from CAY-RO Illinois. He was brilliant, top of the class but sounded like he was from the deep woods south. Fast forward a few years and I see him in tv. He has become a hotshot with SDNY. Accent miraculously vanished!
Not unusual for people to gain/lose accents when moving to different parts of the country. My sister moved from Central Illinois to Southern Missouri and gained a southern drawl in her everyday conversations.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Off topic. When I go back to visit my cousin in SE MA I find myself slipping back into pronunciations I used growing up.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”