Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

I'm not crying, you're crying! Thank dog for good people.

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Woman who didn’t know she was pregnant delivered a preterm baby midflight. NICU nurses happened to be onboard.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... icu-nurse/

3 NICU nurses and a doctor on board. :eek: Baby is 29 weeks.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Lani

Re: I'm not crying, you're crying!

Post by Lani »

And only weighed 3 pounds! What a story - glad I read it.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

It's behind a paywall... sorry, I don't have funds to pay everything (just like unplugged cable). LOL Replacing one BS overpriced service with another. .. :lol: :rotflmao:
Lani

Post by Lani »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:37 pm It's behind a paywall... sorry, I don't have funds to pay everything (just like unplugged cable). LOL Replacing one BS overpriced service with another. .. :lol: :rotflmao:
The story has taken off with press around the world. WaPo has the most detailed article, describing how the doctor and nurses created a NICU from whatever things they could find on the plane, including making a preterm baby oxygen mask.

Here's a local report, but it doesn't get into the amazing details.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/05/0 ... nd-flight/

BTW, do you want a 30 day pass to WaPo? I caved in and signed up with the paper for a year, then another year.... But I also get to give a 30 day pass each month!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Lani wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 am ...

BTW, do you want a 30 day pass to WaPo? I caved in and signed up with the paper for a year, then another year.... But I also get to give a 30 day pass each month!
I don't know if the offer is still available but I get WaPo for $5 a month with my Prime subscription. It's my one and only.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:48 am
Lani wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:20 am ...

I don't know if the offer is still available but I get WaPo for $5 a month with my Prime subscription. It's my one and only.
Wait, whut? So I'm MISSING a deal? Gotta mark my calendar. :bag:
LM K

Post by LM K »

A student was barred from graduation for wearing the wrong shoes. So a teacher gave him the shoes off his own feet.
When Daverius Peters arrived at his high school graduation ceremony on May 19, he was immediately blocked from entering the convention center where it was being held.

Peters, 18, was wearing the mandatory purple cap and gown, but a school representative standing at the front door told him his shoe selection was wrong.

“She said my shoes violated the dress code and I couldn’t attend the ceremony unless I changed them,” said Peters, a senior at Hahnville High School in Boutte, La.

According to the school’s graduation dress code, male students were to wear dark dress shoes, with an emphasis that “no athletic shoes” were to be worn.

Peters showed up that day in black leather sneakers with white soles, and while they weren’t traditional dress shoes, “I thought I could wear them because they’re black,” he said, adding that he abided by the rest of the guidelines, which stipulated that students must wear a white dress shirt and tie, as well as dark dress pants.

When he was stopped from entering the front door, “I was in shock,” Peters recalled. “I felt humiliated. I just wanted to walk across the stage and get my diploma.”

:snippity:
So, without hesitation, Butler bent down and did what he felt he had to do: He gave the student the shoes off his feet.

“It was a no-brainer,” he said. “This was the most important moment in his life up to that point, and I wasn’t going to let him miss it for anything.”

There was, however, one considerable problem: “He wears a size 9, and I wear a size 11.”

Ignoring the size discrepancy, Peters excitedly slid into Butler’s tan loafers and bolted inside for the ceremony, just as the doors were closing. Butler took his seat wearing only socks, proudly disregarding the glares from people confused by his lack of footwear.

“I was just happy to see him receive his diploma,” he said.

When his name was called, Peters shuffled across the stage in Butler’s oversize shoes.

“The shoes were so big; I couldn’t even walk. I was sliding,” Peters said.

Immediately after the ceremony, Peters found Butler to return his loafers and thank him.

Peters was very grateful, he said, though “I wasn’t surprised because Mr. Butler is that type of person. At school, if you’re having a bad day, he’ll be the one to take you out of class, walk around the school with you and talk to you.”

When Peters’s parents learned what happened, “we were very upset,” Smith said, adding that her son has chronic asthma and spent the majority of the academic year in remote school. “He worked so hard, and for someone to just rip that away from him, that was maddening to me.”

Her son genuinely believed that his footwear fit the dress code, she said, but “how about if I couldn’t afford to buy him the shoes? This is not just about him; this is about the people that come after him.”

But the simple shoe swap left a profound impression on Peters and his family.
“He gave the shoes off his own feet to my child,” Smith said. “That says a lot about what type of man he is.”
:lovestruck:
LM K

Re: I'm not crying, you're crying! Thank dog for good people.

Post by LM K »

As graduates cheered, an HBCU president announced that their debt to the university was wiped away
Seated in white folding chairs inside a gymnasium on Saturday morning, the 2020 and 2021 graduating classes of Wilberforce University listened as the president of the historically Black university in Ohio lauded the students for their resilience during an arduous year.

Then he made an unexpected announcement.
“We wish to give you a fresh start,” Elfred Anthony Pinkard, the university’s president, told the students. “Therefore, the Wilberforce University Board of Trustees has authorized me to forgive any debt.”

Students jumped from their seats and cheered; parents clapped from the bleachers. One student stood, awestruck, mouth agape and looking side to side, making sure he had heard Pinkard correctly.

“Your accounts have been cleared,” Pinkard continued, followed by more applause and yelps of joy. “And you don’t owe Wilberforce anything. Congratulations.”

In all, more than $375,000 in student debt was wiped away, said the university
, which is about 20 miles east of Dayton.[/highlight]

The problem has been particularly acute at HBCUs like Wilberforce, which enroll a disproportionate number of students from low-income families, according to the United Negro College Fund. Unlike major state schools, most HBCUs have smaller endowments thanks to decades of limited funding, The Washington Post recently reported, which has complicated efforts to help reduce tuitions. About 25 percent of students who attend HBCUs borrow $40,000 or more, according to UNCF.

Last month, officials at Delaware State University announced they were using stimulus funds to forgive over $730,000 of student debt for recent graduates who faced financial hardships during the coronavirus pandemic.

During his speech at the Wilberforce commencement ceremony, Pinkard stressed that the effort was meant to acknowledge the difficulty of graduating during the pandemic.
“Because we are in awe of your strengths and perseverance; because you have made your family and yourselves proud; because you have shown that you are capable of doing work under difficult circumstances; because you represent the best of your generation, we wish to give you a fresh start,” Pinkard said.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
LM K

Post by LM K »

That is beautiful. I teared up!

Thank you for sharing, raison de arizona!
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

:clap:
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
realist

Post by realist »

Lani wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:34 pm And only weighed 3 pounds! What a story - glad I read it.
Neonatologists and NICU nurses (especially the nurses) are da bomb.

My middle daughter was born in 1974, 3 months early (at least) and weighed 1 pound 4 ounces. After a heart surgery at 2 days old she got down to 14 ounces. The nurses were awesome, wonderful, and many other adjectives indicating fantastic. She was in NICU for 5 months. And survived. At the time, the smallest to survive. Was written up in medical journals, etc. Now many much smaller survive. And she has no defecits save the hearing in one ear is significantly worse than the other. It did take her a very long time to "catch up" but she did.
Image X 4
Image X 32
raison de arizona

This one is unlikely to make anyone cry, but it is a nice story.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It’s not showing up for me. I can see with my mod’s super X-ray vision that it’s a Facebook share…
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:50 am It’s not showing up for me. I can see with my mod’s super X-ray vision that it’s a Facebook share…
I can't either but I do a quote to get the URL.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I have tight settings on my Facebook account, so I never see anything anyone links to Facebook.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

FB text above wrote:In London, there's a woman who goes every day on the subway and sits on the dock just to listen to the announcement recorded by her husband in 1950.

Margaret McCollum after the death of her Oswald Laurence, sits on the bench waiting to hear this recording that became one of London's most famous "Mind the gap" (attention the space between the train and the dock). In 2003, Oswald died leaving a huge void in Margaret's heart. So Margaret found a way to feel his presence closest.

But from the day after more than half a century, this voice was replaced by an empty electronic recording. Out of distress Margaret asked this cassette tape to the London subway transport company to continue listening to her husband's voice at home.

But, knowing the moving history, the company decided to restore the announcement in the only stop near the house where the woman lives, specifically at the Embankment stop of Northern Line, where all passengers can listen today Oswald Laurence's voice and to think that eternal love really exists.

Wonderful gesture by the authorities
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Try this?
raison de arizona wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:37 am This one is unlikely to make anyone cry, but it is a nice story.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7686244 ... 698967880/
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Here's a video of the announcement:

raison de arizona

raison de arizona

EndtheMisery @Endthemisery1 wrote: This is incredible. Mr. Stanley, a high school chorus teacher is retiring, and he invited former students to come back and sing with him one last time. This is what happened. ❤️🎶 Sound all the way up
🔊🔊🔊
Vid c/o @watchmaggiepaint on IG
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”