Insurrectionist's family suing for ten million

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
woodworker

Insurrectionist's family suing for ten million

Post by woodworker »

Ashli Babbitt's family is suing the Capitol Police for $10 million because the insurrectionist was killed during the January 6 insurrection. More details at: https://www.newsweek.com/us-capitol-pol ... er-1587449.

Note the headline describes her as unarmed rioter.

My prediction: they lose. Badly.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: Insurrectionist's family suing for ten million

Post by LM K »

Is it in bad taste if I :rotflmao: ?

I wish there had been no deaths due to the insurrection. That said, the shooting of Babbitt was one of the most justifiable law enforcement shootings I've ever seen.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I thought when I read this that the family was suing the former guy. Since he is the one responsible for her death.

No former guy, no insurrection; no insurrection, Ashli is still alive.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Why do I suspect 'because black people sue for police shootings!' is a big part of the logic behind this....
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

LM K wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:57 pm Is it in bad taste if I :rotflmao: ?

I wish there had been no deaths due to the insurrection. That said, the shooting of Babbitt was one of the most justifiable law enforcement shootings I've ever seen.
Nope, because I am :mrgreen:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bob

Post by bob »

neeneko wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:32 pm Why do I suspect 'because black people sue for police shootings!' is a big part of the logic behind this....
Likely so: that comparison often is made on social media. (And the retort usually is, "She should have complied.")

I understand the argument that shooting her was unnecessary, less-lethal options were possible, etc. But between the legal standard and qualified immunity, this is mostly for show.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm not wishing for more deaths, but maybe if there had been more, it might have been more of a wake-up call.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:30 pm
neeneko wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:32 pm Why do I suspect 'because black people sue for police shootings!' is a big part of the logic behind this....
Likely so: that comparison often is made on social media. (And the retort usually is, "She should have complied.")

I understand the argument that shooting her was unnecessary, less-lethal options were possible, etc. But between the legal standard and qualified immunity, this is mostly for show.
RWNJ sue for shootings because of entitlement and privilege. Example, the Finicum family.
101010 :towel:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:30 pm I understand the argument that shooting her was unnecessary, less-lethal options were possible, etc. But between the legal standard and qualified immunity, this is mostly for show.
I'm not sure that there really were any less lethal options that were practical. The mob was attacking the officer and, IIRC, pushing against a heavy door, while shouting death threats.

If the officer who shot her was NOT afraid for his life, he was a fool.

In that situation, I might have done the same thing.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I remember that well. That was an enraged mob that was about to break through that door and those windows. And she was at the front of it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:10 am I remember that well. That was an enraged mob that was about to break through that door and those windows. And she was at the front of it.
They would have reached members of Congress, which is why the shooting. She was aggressive and ignoring the officers as well. She chose to get shot.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 am

They would have reached members of Congress, which is why the shooting. She was aggressive and ignoring the officers as well. She chose to get shot.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

noblepa wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:06 am
bob wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:30 pm I understand the argument that shooting her was unnecessary, less-lethal options were possible, etc. But between the legal standard and qualified immunity, this is mostly for show.
I'm not sure that there really were any less lethal options that were practical. The mob was attacking the officer and, IIRC, pushing against a heavy door, while shouting death threats.

If the officer who shot her was NOT afraid for his life, he was a fool.

In that situation, I might have done the same thing.
Agreed. The idea that the officer could have arrested her is absurd. There were other insurrectionists trying to break more glass. Insurrectionists were swarming just behind Babbitt. Babbitt wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time. She was there to physically stop the certification of a fair election.

Babbitt was one of the first to enter the capital building. Insurrectionists were beating police. Insurrectionists were using weapons.

The only reason other insurrectionists weren't shot was because capital police were swarmed and grossly outnumbered.

The lawyer's argument that the police officer had no reason to believe Babbitt was armed is ridiculous. His argument that there were a lot of other cops on the way is ridiculous. The argument that Babbitt's actions were only misdemeanor crimes is ridiculous.

This case will fail.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

LM K wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:08 pm Agreed. The idea that the officer could have arrested her is absurd. There were other insurrectionists trying to break more glass. Insurrectionists were swarming just behind Babbitt. Babbitt wasn't in the wrong place at the wrong time. She was there to physically stop the certification of a fair election.

Babbitt was one of the first to enter the capital building. Insurrectionists were beating police. Insurrectionists were using weapons.

The only reason other insurrectionists weren't shot was because capital police were swarmed and grossly outnumbered.

The lawyer's argument that the police officer had no reason to believe Babbitt was armed is ridiculous. His argument that there were a lot of other cops on the way is ridiculous. The argument that Babbitt's actions were only misdemeanor crimes is ridiculous.

This case will fail.
Whether or not she was armed, she and the other insurrectionists could have done a lot of harm to the officer(s) and damage to the building.

Even if other cops were on the way, there is no way that the officer in danger could know that. If they were delayed for only a couple seconds, he could have been dead.

The level of charges that might have been brought against her, had she lived, is irrelevant. At the moment she was shot, the officer had good reason to believe that his life was in danger.

I certainly hope that this case will fail. I believe it will. I hope that the Capitol Police are awarded costs.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

who is funding this lawsuit?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:04 pm who is funding this lawsuit?
Ordinarily, these types of plaintiff's suits are brought by attorney's who are retained on a contingency basis. In other words, if the plaintiff wins, the lawyer gets 30% of the judgment. That's how personal injury/wrongful death suits happen. (And it's why those kinds of attorneys advertise that you don't pay anything "unless you win" or similar language.) And yeah, the attorneys who bring those can end up getting nothing for a lot of work, which is why real PI firms tend to prefer lots of surefire (if small) settlement cases over a small number of dicey but potentially lucrative cases.

I have no idea if this is being brought on a contingency agreement, but I'm sure there are enough self-deluded right-wing lawyers who are convinced that this family is about to get millions, so jump in now to get your piece of the pie.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
bob

Post by bob »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 pmI have no idea if this is being brought on a contingency agreement, but I'm sure there are enough self-deluded right-wing lawyers who are convinced that this family is about to get millions, so jump in now to get your piece of the pie.
Too also: Lin signed onto Rittenhouse's defense essentially for the grift. And Klayman's raison d'etre (allegedly) is outrage filings for the grift.

In other words, winning in court might not be the primary goal.
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 pm
Ordinarily, these types of plaintiff's suits are brought by attorney's who are retained on a contingency basis. In other words, if the plaintiff wins, the lawyer gets 30% of the judgment. That's how personal injury/wrongful death suits happen. (And it's why those kinds of attorneys advertise that you don't pay anything "unless you win" or similar language.) And yeah, the attorneys who bring those can end up getting nothing for a lot of work, which is why real PI firms tend to prefer lots of surefire (if small) settlement cases over a small number of dicey but potentially lucrative cases.

I have no idea if this is being brought on a contingency agreement, but I'm sure there are enough self-deluded right-wing lawyers who are convinced that this family is about to get millions, so jump in now to get your piece of the pie.
This attorney appears to have a fair amount of experience with police brutality lawsuits and has been successful (I assume not all of the time).

http://robertsandwood.com/our-lawyers/

It does not appear to be a RWNJ grift job or a low lever PI attorney.
101010 :towel:
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

bob wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:21 pm
fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 pmI have no idea if this is being brought on a contingency agreement, but I'm sure there are enough self-deluded right-wing lawyers who are convinced that this family is about to get millions, so jump in now to get your piece of the pie.
Too also: Lin signed onto Rittenhouse's defense essentially for the grift. And Klayman's raison d'etre (allegedly) is outrage filings for the grift.

In other words, whining winning in court might not be is the primary goal.
FIFY
realist

Post by realist »

northland10 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:37 pm
fierceredpanda wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:16 pm

This attorney appears to have a fair amount of experience with police brutality lawsuits and has been successful (I assume not all of the time).

http://robertsandwood.com/our-lawyers/

It does not appear to be a RWNJ grift job or a low lever PI attorney.
http://www.injurylawyerdatabase.com/md/ ... ii/156515/
Image X 4
Image X 32
June bug

Post by June bug »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 am
They would have reached members of Congress, which is why the shooting.
She was aggressive and ignoring the officers as well. She chose to get shot.
This. in. spades.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Roberts said Congress owes the public an explanation. "What it looks like is this guy shot this lady for no legitimate law enforcement purpose. And you know, they ought to be pretty ashamed of that," he said. "I mean, [it's] pretty, pretty bad, that you don't hear any member of Congress speaking out about this thing. In a free country like ours, it's very strange and odd that they wouldn't identify the officer, or even provide some details, explaining why he had to kill her.

"You would probably expect this kind of thing to happen in Russia," he said, "where people get bumped off and you don't know why they get bumped off," he said.
No, it looks to this member of the public like she was trying her dangdest to get to members of Congress, which many in the mob were promising to kill. She wasn’t “bumped off,” idiot. Do you even know what “bumped off” means?

Let’s hear from a Republican who was there.
Rep Markwayne Mullin (R-Okla.) said Jan. 7 that he witnessed the shooting. He told ABC News that "when they broke the glass in the back [of the House chamber], the lieutenant that was there ... didn't have a choice at that time."

"The mob was going to come through the door," Rep. Mullin said less than 24 hours after Babbitt's death. "There was a lot of members and staff that were in danger at the time. ... His actions I believe saved people's lives even more. Unfortunately it took one, though."
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Dance!

sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

WTF is that?
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

sterngard friegen wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:07 pm WTF is that?
Apparently something related to the Jan 6 insurrection.

Return to “Current Politics”