What are you reading lately?

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:56 pm [William] Shirer was a journalist and the author of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, among other books.
We are living through a similar time in history today, only the great chronicle of the epoch will have to be The Rise and Fall of the Quadfectee. :lol:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:25 am I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down. :twisted:
It was over my head.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Foggy wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:26 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:56 pm [William] Shirer was a journalist and the author of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, among other books.
We are living through a similar time in history today, only the great chronicle of the epoch will have to be The Rise and Fall of the Quadfectee. :lol:
I was amazed while I was reading the first volume how much of the same bullshit and rhetoric from the early 1900s is still being used today. Some days I wonder if the world has made any progress at all.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Here's some reading matter for the collection of a serious Civil War buff, especially one who has a second home in Gettysburg (*cough* Gregg *cough*). It might be of interest to others as well.

Dr. Ronald White, one of the best biographers of Civil War-era figures, will soon release a new bio of General Joshua Chamberlin called "On Great Fields." Amazon link here:

I'm delighted to have a family connection with Dr. White: his mother was our beloved childhood babysitter in the 1960s and early 1970s. My father was a Civil War history buff who enjoyed having Dr. White (then, merely graduate student White) over to the house to learn about his research when he was on break from school and visiting his mother.

Chamberlain was a college professor in Maine who was a minister and a renaissance man, speaker of nine languages and able to teach just about every subject in the catalog at Bowdoin College except math. In the Civil War, Chamberlain led the famous charge at Little Round Top in the battle at Gettysburg, which was an important turning point in the battle and earned him the Medal of Honor. After the war, he was elected governor of Maine four times and served as president of Bowdoin College.

Dr. White's bio follows his two highly regarded works on Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant. I am not much for Civil War era history, but I think he's known for putting together the available information in a way that adds a lot to the treatment of how these men's inner core and religious beliefs colored their action.

Dr. White has a Ph.D. in history from Princeton and an M. Div. and served as a Presbyterian minister in the 1970s, so he has a unique perspective on religious inner life of some of these people compared to other historians. He's been affiliated recently with the Huntington Library as well as other institutions.

High praise for the book from important people:

"A vital and vivid portrait of an unlikely military hero who played a key role in the preservation of the Union and therefore in the making of modern America. From his bookish days as a professor at Bowdoin to the fields of Gettysburg, Joshua Chamberlain was a man of principle and of action, a surprising officer whose conviction and courage made all the difference. A marvelous book." — Jon Meacham, Pulitzer Prize–winning author of And There Was Light

"This evocative biography of Joshua Chamberlain manages to be both dramatic and understated—like the great war hero himself. Readers hoping for a rousing account of Chamberlain’s heroics at Little Round Top will get not only a riveting, but a definitive, version of that battle-changing moment at Gettysburg. But White also opens a window onto the nineteenth-century worlds of military service, politics, and academia, which Chamberlain bestrode with a unique combination of drama and dignity fully reflected in the narrative.” — Harold Holzer, winner of the Lincoln Prize

"A vital and vivid portrait of an unlikely military hero who played a key role in the preservation of the Union and therefore in the making of modern America. From his bookish days as a professor at Bowdoin to the fields of Gettysburg, Joshua Chamberlain was a man of principle and of action, a surprising officer whose conviction and courage made all the difference. A marvelous book." —Jon Meacham, Pulitzer Prize–winning author of And There Was Light

"Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain is one of the most famous soldiers who fought at the battle of Gettysburg. Ronald C. White chronicles that story and Chamberlain’s other Civil War exploits, but the distinguishing feature of this fine biography is its in-depth account of the varied achievements of this extraordinary American hero in a lifetime that ranged over more than eight decades." — James M. McPherson, author of Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era

"On Great Fields is one of those exceedingly rare biographies that is beautifully written and superbly researched, as well as a truly inspirational tale. It is a phenomenal account of an extraordinary individual." — General David Petraeus, U.S. Army (Ret.), and co-author (with Andrew Roberts) of Conflict: The Evolution of Warfare from 1945 to Ukraine

"A thoroughly engaging portrait of the life and career of Civil War hero Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain. Ronald C. White demonstrates once again his mastery of the biographical art with a fresh assessment of Chamberlain’s complicated yet inspiring journey.” — Joan Waugh, author of U.S. Grant: American Hero, American Myth
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I'm in the middle of the excellent "The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together" by Heather McGhee. It came out in 2021 but I got it just this summer (usually this happens when I hear an interview with an author).

It's a very readable study of how racism in all kinds of systems hurts everyone - even white people. And why are white people willing to punish themselves by doing things in order to deprive POC of those things? Like the famous example of communities closing or filling in their swimming pools when they were ordered to be integrated. Why can't we have nice things started before that, but it seems we've slid further away from thinking it's ok for government and other entities to provide nice things for everyone.

Recommended for learning more about how racism has affected things that white people like me have never even thought about.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Currently in the middle of Prequel by Rachael Maddow. Here's the blurb:
Rachel Maddow traces the fight to preserve American democracy back to World War II, when a handful of committed public servants and brave private citizens thwarted far-right plotters trying to steer our nation toward an alliance with the Nazis.

“A ripping read—well rendered, fast-paced and delivered with the same punch and assurance that she brings to a broadcast. . . . The parallels to the present day are strong, even startling.”—The New York Times

Inspired by her research for the hit podcast Ultra, Rachel Maddow charts the rise of a wild American strain of authoritarianism that has been alive on the far-right edge of our politics for the better part of a century. Before and even after our troops had begun fighting abroad in World War II, a clandestine network flooded the country with disinformation aimed at sapping the strength of the U.S. war effort and persuading Americans that our natural alliance was with the Axis, not against it. It was a sophisticated and shockingly well-funded campaign to undermine democratic institutions, promote antisemitism, and destroy citizens’ confidence in their elected leaders, with the ultimate goal of overthrowing the U.S. government and installing authoritarian rule.

That effort worked—tongue and groove—alongside an ultra-right paramilitary movement that stockpiled bombs and weapons and trained for mass murder and violent insurrection.

At the same time, a handful of extraordinary activists and journalists were tracking the scheme, exposing it even as it was unfolding. In 1941 the U.S. Department of Justice finally made a frontal attack, identifying the key plotters, finding their backers, and prosecuting dozens in federal court.

None of it went as planned.

While the scheme has been remembered in history—if at all—as the work of fringe players, in reality it involved a large number of some of the country’s most influential elected officials. Their interference in law enforcement efforts against the plot is a dark story of the rule of law bending and then breaking under the weight of political intimidation.

That failure of the legal system had consequences. The tentacles of that unslain beast have reached forward into our history for decades. But the heroic efforts of the activists, journalists, prosecutors, and regular citizens who sought to expose the insurrectionists also make for a deeply resonant, deeply relevant tale in our own disquieting times.
So far its damn good!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:44 pm Currently in the middle of Prequel by Rachael Maddow. Here's the blurb:
OK, you convinced me to chase it up.

I'm curious if she discusses Father Coughlin, the Detroit (actually a suburb, Royal Oak) based radio preacher, anti-semite, anti-democratic, NAZI supporting, demagogue, asshole. My dad had various reasons to 'be in the same room as him' a few times at Community events, political and otherwise as he (my dad) was in various responsible positions in the Freemasons and had to front up at some of these events on official duty.

My dad only mentioned him twice around me - once when aunts and uncles were sitting around the pinocle table and started waxing on about the good ol' days and discussing Dad's courtship with Mom. Mom lived in Royal Oak near Coughlin's church. The other was when he died, and dad said only half-jokingly, "I wonder where he's buried, maybe I'll go spit on his grave". That was just about the nastiest thing I ever heard my dad say about anybody or anything.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:17 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:44 pm Currently in the middle of Prequel by Rachael Maddow. Here's the blurb:
OK, you convinced me to chase it up.

I'm curious if she discusses Father Coughlin, the Detroit (actually a suburb, Royal Oak) based radio preacher, anti-semite, anti-democratic, NAZI supporting, demagogue, asshole. My dad had various reasons to 'be in the same room as him' a few times at Community events, political and otherwise as he (my dad) was in various responsible positions in the Freemasons and had to front up at some of these events on official duty.

My dad only mentioned him twice around me - once when aunts and uncles were sitting around the pinocle table and started waxing on about the good ol' days and discussing Dad's courtship with Mom. Mom lived in Royal Oak near Coughlin's church. The other was when he died, and dad said only half-jokingly, "I wonder where he's buried, maybe I'll go spit on his grave". That was just about the nastiest thing I ever heard my dad say about anybody or anything.
She does talk about him at least some - I'm in a section right now that's he's part of, though I don't know how extensive his role will be. I remember she did one of her "A" Blocks on him a while back when she was pomoting her "Ultra" podcase, so there may be some material of interest there, also.
keith

Post by keith »

Heh, I was inspired to renew my acquaintance with Coughlin by looking him up on Wikipedia.

Quite the character asshole.

He was personally responsable for the government requireing broadcaster to get operating permits, and was threatened with being charged with sedition.

Also, its a good thing there was no such thing as the internet while my dad was alive, or he may have found out that Coughlin is buried in Southfield less than a mile maybe 6 miles from the house we lived in when I was born.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:50 pm He was personally responsable for the government requireing broadcaster to get operating permits, and was threatened with being charged with sedition.
Oh wow!
Also, its a good thing there was no such thing as the internet while my dad was alive, or he may have found out that Coughlin is buried in Southfield less than a mile maybe 6 miles from the house we lived in when I was born.
:rotflmao:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I finally finished reading "Prequel" by Rachael Maddow. It's an excellent book, and extremely powerful. It's frightening to see how close we came to willingly taking on a fascist government during the WWII era, specifically to keep us from fighting in European wars. "America First" was a common slogan of the pro-fascist contingent which included many in Congress who were distributing Nazi propaganda to American citizens in ways that wound up being subsidized by the very government they were trying to overthrow (i.e. ours.)

It's a book I wish more people would read as I think it has a valuable message and a lesson for those of us fighting fascism again in our current age. There are many places were it seems like you could change "Hitler" to "Putin" and you'd have at tale of our modern age - or at least one darn close to it.

Seriously good stuff!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:39 am I finally finished reading "Prequel" by Rachael Maddow. It's an excellent book, and extremely powerful. It's frightening to see how close we came to willingly taking on a fascist government during the WWII era, specifically to keep us from fighting in European wars. "America First" was a common slogan of the pro-fascist contingent which included many in Congress who were distributing Nazi propaganda to American citizens in ways that wound up being subsidized by the very government they were trying to overthrow (i.e. ours.)

It's a book I wish more people would read as I think it has a valuable message and a lesson for those of us fighting fascism again in our current age. There are many places were it seems like you could change "Hitler" to "Putin" and you'd have at tale of our modern age - or at least one darn close to it.

Seriously good stuff!
I like her books. She knows her stuff. I am looking forward to reading this one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith

Post by keith »

I tried to get it at my friendly neighbourhood bookstore last week, but they said it was only available in hardback in the USA so far.

Aussieland readers like me just have to wait.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The parallels in Rachel’s book between then and now are chilling. You can see the outlines of Russia’s interference today in the German plots of the 30’s - identifying the issues will divide our society, for example, and stoking outrage with propaganda. Coupled with his rumored reading of Hitler’s book and speeches, there’s no doubt tfg’s endgame.

He’s really ratcheting up that rhetoric, too.

PS The second Penny Dreadful series was about this period, in Los Angeles.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

It's popular. The line for the library epub is 110 long.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

“The Redbreast” by Jo Nesbo is superb.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Just started "Anna Karenina".

Took a month of Internet searching to decide which translation to read. ;)

Chose Constance Garnett's as revised by Leonard J. Kent and Nina Berberova.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:52 am The parallels in Rachel’s book between then and now are chilling. You can see the outlines of Russia’s interference today in the German plots of the 30’s - identifying the issues will divide our society, for example, and stoking outrage with propaganda. Coupled with his rumored reading of Hitler’s book and speeches, there’s no doubt tfg’s endgame.

He’s really ratcheting up that rhetoric, too.
I noticed that, too. I can see why she called it "Prequel" - it's a perfect title. It was scary to see how all these little groups, none of which seemed like too big of a deal individually, even without coordinating with each other made so much progress in turning this country fascist.

I just hope Trump doesn't pick up any ideas from the defendants in the big trial she writes about... ugh!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm currently reading "Wise Gals" about the women who were instrumental in the founding and establishment of the CIA. Really interesting book, lots of fascinating stories!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:00 am “The Redbreast” by Jo Nesbo is superb.
I like his stuff. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:00 am “The Redbreast” by Jo Nesbo is superb.
LOVE Nesbo!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:51 pm :snippity:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm currently reading "Wise Gals" about the women who were instrumental in the founding and establishment of the CIA. Really interesting book, lots of fascinating stories!
Ooh nice rec! I'll look for that one. Last summer I got on a jag of books about women in the resistance during WW2. So many amazing women doing incredible things during that time...and mainly unknown still. I love anything "spook" so this looks right up my alley!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yangtze Patrol: The U.S. Navy in China, by Kemp Tolley
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Just discovered last night that James Hilton, author of "Goodbye, Mr. Chips", wrote a 2nd Mr. Chips book in 1938 titled "To you, Mr. Chips". :o How did I not already know that? :shock:

Via the magic of Amazon I immediately acquired the $3.45 Kindle version of this short book and read it which is why I am yawning a bit this morning.

The first chapter is autobiographical stuff about James Hilton's school days. The 2nd and 3rd chapters are short stories with only brief appearances by Mr. Chips.

The 4th thru 7th chapters are full blown Mr. Chips stories which will delight anyone who liked the original book. :biggrin:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “General Stuff”