Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Azastan
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by Azastan »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:51 am Some of our closest friends (including our geographically closest friends) have come down with Covid in the past couple of weeks. One of them was in Colorado with family when formerly-favorite aunt broke agreed-upon protocols, had dinner with antivaxxers, and became a plague rat. So an extra 10 days of quarantine, and guess who had agreed to pick up my friend from the bus stop for 'last mile' delivery?
Let's hope you stay plague free!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Read that comment wrong. :oopsy:

You can’t drop your friends because they have idiot relatives.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

My friend tested negative three straight days before flying back, sat in the back of the van with windows down, only was in the vehicle for <10 minutes, and we were both KN95 masked. I didn't drive the van for a couple days afterwards, leaving it in the garage with the windows down. Short of tying her to the roof of the van,* I don't know what other precautions we could take. So far no signs or symptoms, although I did have a rather nasty food allergy reaction last week (supply chain issues led to a change in ingredients).

*long-standing inside joke
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Wife woke up feeling bad this morning. She tested positive. So far I have no symptoms, but I was wondering if I should go ahead and test, or wait to see if I got symptoms, also?

Both of us are vaccinated, with 1 booster in December. She gave me the booster. She volunteered at the mass vaccination event the day I got my booster.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Reddog wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:28 pm Wife woke up feeling bad this morning. She tested positive. So far I have no symptoms, but I was wondering if I should go ahead and test, or wait to see if I got symptoms, also?

Both of us are vaccinated, with 1 booster in December. She gave me the booster. She volunteered at the mass vaccination event the day I got my booster.
If you test and you’re positive, you don’t have to isolate from your wife. Otherwise you should be keeping away from her.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yikes, reddog! So are you positive?

MN-Skeptic, I know if one spouse is sick the other one should stay away, but if my wife was sick, my instinct would be to bring her anything she needs and so forth. Staying away would be HARD! :P
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:00 am my instinct would be to bring her anything she needs and so forth. Staying away would be HARD! :P
There are many services available, such as UberEats, Instacart, and DoorDash that can deliver everything and anything to a quarantined loved one.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Waiting on tests. I felt tired on Wednesday and stopped working. Just "off" and exhausted. On the weekend I was bedridden with daily temperature cycles from 100+ to 97. I had home covid tests, so I used them. Negative.

Today I emailed my doctor for a sick leave letter for my employer. Instead I got 2 calls from Kaiser. I was told that home tests aren't very useful for the current strain. The tests aren't reliable until at least 4 days from start of symptoms. Also, the flu and covid are spreading rapidly in Hawaii. Now there is a two-in-one test for them. Cool! So I was told to drive to the clinic, park at the back, and call the # for outside testing.

Usually, the PCR report is ready in 12 hours at the most. Now it's 1 to 2 days. I guess the island is surging again - while most people no longer mask. :(
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:00 am Yikes, reddog! So are you positive?

MN-Skeptic, I know if one spouse is sick the other one should stay away, but if my wife was sick, my instinct would be to bring her anything she needs and so forth. Staying away would be HARD! :P
I don’t know what the protocol is, to be honest. I haven’t tested myself. I was thinking I would if I started showing symptoms. So far I feel fine. I’ve smoked over 50 years so I do have a cough anyway. It seems no different than it has been for years. I’ve been walking over 6 miles a day the past few days (according to the Apple health app). I believe it because my feet are feeling it.

She’s feeling better, doctor put her on anti-viral. We’ve increased our distance, and did start sleeping in separate beds for now. We have used the grocery delivery for the first time. It’s tough for her because she has a much more social personality than I do.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:00 am Yikes, reddog! So are you positive?

Fortunately SWMBO and I both tested positive at the same time.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Do you call her that to her face Keith? Like ´Swimbo, I’m home’ at the end of a long day?
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

We both just tested. Wife is still positive, I’m still symptom free and negative.
TBH I expected to test positive even though I’m symptom free.

We’re both using the free Medicare test kits. They’re starting to stack up. We should probably use them more often.

The worst part is the isolation for her. Our 2 year old grandson misses his Nana, and daughter is expecting another in a couple of months. That means that Nana isn’t able to help with daughter.

Wife thinks she got it at work, she’s a NICU nurse so she probably can’t return to work until a negative test.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:09 am Do you call her that to her face Keith? Like ´Swimbo, I’m home’ at the end of a long day?
Nah, he says it to her feet :notworthy:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Lani wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:08 am :snippity:
Usually, the PCR report is ready in 12 hours at the most. Now it's 1 to 2 days. I guess the island is surging again - while most people no longer mask. :(
Hurray! No covid, no flu. Still on sick leave until Monday, but I'll pickup Koa Friday morning. Things are looking better. :dance: (still have a fever....)
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:09 am Do you call her that to her face Keith? Like ´Swimbo, I’m home’ at the end of a long day?
First, there is no 'i' in SWMBO.

Second, yes, many times. Like when the two of us are at a coffee shop for breakfast, and I tell the waiter that "I want the french toast but She Who Must Be Obeyed says I gotta have the porridge."

And then she gives me the side eye.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:47 pm
Lani wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:08 am :snippity:
Hurray! No covid, no flu. Still on sick leave until Monday, but I'll pickup Koa Friday morning. Things are looking better. :dance: (still have a fever....)
:thumbsup: Great news - both on the health front and getting Koa! I know you two are gonna make each other very happy!!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Hugs and love to reddog and his wife. :bighug:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Reddog wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:37 am We both just tested. Wife is still positive, I’m still symptom free and negative.
TBH I expected to test positive even though I’m symptom free.
Glad to hear you're still negative. I hope your wife has only a mild case and is well soon!
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

I got a positive test today. Symptoms are minimal -- a slight sniffle, a slight cough, a slight headache, a slight case of aches and pains.

We had a family event on Saturday. 4 of the 9 people there are now sick, all vaxed and double boosted. I tested negative on Tuesday but felt just a bit off and thought it would be smart to test again, and I just got the results back....

There's a wide variance in severity of symptoms. My stepdaughter, who was the first to test positive, is 28 and in excellent health, though she's had Covid twice. She has minor sniffles like me. Brother-in-law's girlfriend, 60 but in outstanding health, is miserable. Sister-in-law, age 70, is asymptomatic.

At this point, I'm treating it as an opportunity to consume lots of comfort food like Haagen-Dazs and tacos.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'm sorry to hear about that John P.

I tweeted your analysis of our "future customers". :biggrin:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:16 pm At this point, I'm treating it as an opportunity to consume lots of comfort food like Haagen-Dazs and tacos.
So...suppressed appetite is a symptom.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Sorry to hear this, but glad it sounds like it's going easy on you! Get well soon!
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Covid update: I was exposed on Saturday, July 23 at a family gathering where 4 of 9 attendees, all vaxxed and double boosted, now have Covid. I woke up with a slight tickle in my throat and a little sniffle or two on Tuesday, and took a PCR test that morning, which came back negative. I wanted to be cautious because the normal 5+ day incubation period had not yet lapsed, so I isolated from my partner at my house starting Tuesday night out of an abundance of caution. Symptoms got a bit worse (but still no worse than a cold) so I took another PCR test on Thursday morning, which came back positive.

After some research on my own, I thought Paxlovid, the combination anti-viral agent that's still under an EUA, might be appropriate. There doesn't seem to be any significant risk to it based on the data for the component drugs. I called the doctor Friday morning and they concurred. I amped up my weight and over-60 age as risk factors, to nudge them towards approving the request... I've never really "played the fat card" to get some desired medical treatment before; I'm asymptomatic of health issues tied to being 50+ overweight so it's not really necessary and my advanced case of middle-aged denial usually makes it difficult to do so.

The doc and the pharmacist both said a very frequent (~30%-50% of the time) effect is a strong metallic taste once you start the course of treatment. They also said I'd see some relief from symptoms within the first 24 hours. Both these things were true. I feel as if I've been gnawing on aluminum foil. But my symptoms are almost completely gone. Now I'm just waiting out the next couple days in isolation until I can get a negative test, then will rejoin civilization five days after that (probably a week from tomorrow, then).

It's pretty boring here at home in isolation. I've been binge watching Columbo on Amazon Prime. It's impressive that they managed to get relatively big-name stars on the show consistently. The first episode of the first season was directed by Steven Spielberg, in only his third or fourth directing credit.

My partner remains Covid-free after negative PCR tests on Thursday and Saturday.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”