Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oh noes! :bighug:

The week will go by in a blink. Have some more 🍦and some 🍱.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Whatever4 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:41 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:12 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:56 am :bighug:
Thanks. Really need that hug. Turns out he's in a lot of pain and not ready to come home, so he will be going into rehab for a few days up to a week. I wasn't expecting that.
What kind of knee surgery? (I’ve had a few, now the proud owner of 2 titanium knee joints.)
Minimally invasive knee replacement. He didn't consider it so minimal. He's now set to go into rehab tomorrow. I think he'll probably progress faster in rehab. He's not looking forward to the next one, which will be sometime in late September or early October after we are done traveling for the year.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:35 pm
Whatever4 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:41 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:12 pm

Thanks. Really need that hug. Turns out he's in a lot of pain and not ready to come home, so he will be going into rehab for a few days up to a week. I wasn't expecting that.
What kind of knee surgery? (I’ve had a few, now the proud owner of 2 titanium knee joints.)
Minimally invasive knee replacement. He didn't consider it so minimal. He's now set to go into rehab tomorrow. I think he'll probably progress faster in rehab. He's not looking forward to the next one, which will be sometime in late September or early October after we are done traveling for the year.
Even minimally invasive knee replacement requires 2-3 months of rehab and recovery. They cut through bone, muscle, and tendon after all. Plus if you push it, the inflammation takes longer to go away. (I underwent many lectures on that very topic.) The MI scar is much shorter, though.

The second should be easier than the first as you know how the process works. Hang in there, do the rehab, take the pain meds. The results are worth it. :bighug:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Lani

Post by Lani »

I flew today to Honolulu to look at condos. OMG the line was horrible. And the parking lot was filled. I drove around for awhile, but was running of time. I left the parking lot and told the person who takes your money that there was no place to park except EV spaces. (A lot of people were driving in circles to find a space.) She said I could park in the EV area and be fined, but my car might be towed away. :o But she thought people would see my handicapped license and leave me alone. And that was what happened. No ticket, no nothing. And that is why I love my island....

But I'm moving on to life on Oahu, particularly for an area named Makiki to be close to my son. I spent the day looking at 5 units. I have vertigo, so high rise units are not acceptable.I thought I could deal with 5th story, but I couldn't. My son was able to join us, and I learned that he has it, too.

I found a unit that is small, but meets my needs. No steps, lots of ramps. Very accessible. 2nd floor. Areas where I can walk Ted, including a park across the street. I'll think about it tomorrow. I'll need to have a dishwasher, but I looked under the counter and think I can install a 18" dishwasher.

It's a very multi-cultural area. I've lived several different countries, and I felt I has home here.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Great news, Lani. :thumbsup:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:50 am Great news, Lani. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Too also
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

So, Lani, when can we have a meet up at your new condo? :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yay, Lani and that great son of yours!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

Ugh.

All hands meeting this past week at my main client. About 120 people. 6 Covid cases reported so far, starting on the first night of the conference.

ms and I are clear so far.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

tek wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:53 pm Ugh.

All hands meeting this past week at my main client. About 120 people. 6 Covid cases reported so far, starting on the first night of the conference.

ms and I are clear so far.
This is what I tell my spouse every day:

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE PEOPLE.

IF THEY ARE NOT WEARING A MASK, DO NOT GET WITHIN 100 FEET OF THEM.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

This is really scary for some of us. People act like Covid is gone, but people all over the place, prominent people, are getting it and getting sick. Some of them terribly sick despite being vaccinated.

Here in CA, masks are still required in healthcare settings. Thursday I went to the infusion center for my chemo and a lady just walked in unmasked! WTF?! We’re all immunocompromised! Thank goodness she didn’t go into the tiny elevator. No way I would get in there after her, but who was in it just before we arrived?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby still hasn’t gotten his pre-Covid energy levels back.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:28 pm Hubby still hasn’t gotten his pre-Covid energy levels back.
Covid sucks.

Well, not entirely…

Son got Covid February/march 2020. Was very sick. Still has lasting effects, one of which is the inability and lack of desire to play video games. Good riddance to that time and money waster.

But the rest? Sucks! Neighbor still can’t taste much of anything, still can’t water the yard like she used to, has to rest often during the day… Covid is NOT “just like the flu”.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

My 31 y/o daughter in Denver got it early last month. She's had all four shots. She had a fever for four days and a nasty dry cough that lingered for about a month. She didn't lose any taste or sense of smell, though. She stayed home for a week as advised by her doc. She went back to work but wore a mask because of the cough. A few coworkers were a concerned that she was still sick so she showed them her negative tests and the doctor's clearance to ease their minds. She said it was awful, worse than the flu, and never wants to be that sick again. We both figured she would have been hospitalized if she hadn't been vaxxed. Her live-in boyfriend (also 4Xvaxxed) got it but only had a little cough and some congestion and that was it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Hospital and medical facilities around here are all requiring masks. My husband had knee surgery about ten days ago. You didn't get into the hospital without a mask, and most doors were closed. There was very controlled access. He's now in rehab. He can be in his room without a mask, but if he goes out to OT or PT, he's masked. All personnel are wearing masks. When we go in, we have to have our temp taken by a machine. It's then recorded, and we are asked questions about symptoms, know anyone diagnosed recently, etc. We have to wear a mask at all times. I haven't seen anyone without a mask. Someone brought a golden retriever in today, and he was masked. (Just kidding; dogs have to be muzzled to visit.)
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

One of my girlfriends is suffering through it right now. She is vaxxed and triple boosted. She was a public defender and had to visit the jail often so she was given the third booster. No covid until after she retired a couple of months ago! She is supposed to be confirmed as a Municipal Court judge tomorrow but it looks like that's not happening until next month because she's been spiking a fever. Her husband got it the day before she did, never ran a fever and never felt like shit. He brought it home to her from a mandatory meeting of City personnel (he's a City attorney) where 6 women who had been to Vegas had it and didn't bother to tell anyone because "they didn't feel bad."

My girlfriend is still in bed with crushing headaches and racking cough.
Lani

Post by Lani »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:24 am One of my girlfriends is suffering through it right now. :snippity: He brought it home to her from a mandatory meeting of City personnel (he's a City attorney) where 6 women who had been to Vegas had it and didn't bother to tell anyone because "they didn't feel bad."

I think that's why it spreads so much. Some people with covid that have a mild infection don't isolate.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Lani wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:37 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:24 am One of my girlfriends is suffering through it right now. :snippity: He brought it home to her from a mandatory meeting of City personnel (he's a City attorney) where 6 women who had been to Vegas had it and didn't bother to tell anyone because "they didn't feel bad."

I think that's why it spreads so much. Some people with covid that have a mild infection don't isolate.
My husband tells me that at his place of employment (USPS sorting facility), people who have been vaxxed and boostered are no longer required to wear masks. People who have tested positive, but who are not showng symptoms, are allowed to come to work (and are supposed to be masked).

At least two of his co-workers have come down with COVID in the last couple of weeks, which is why I tell him every day:

WEAR A MASK

WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY

STAY AWAY FROM PEOPLE
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My daughter works in a small architectural firm. They worked out of the office for a long time, but over the last six months the owners have been trying to get people to come into the office more often, although they have been pretty flexible. In the last month, about half a dozen employees have gotten Covid. Now, they've pulled back on the office work again and are playing it by ear. It's not that hard for an architectural firm to work remotely, as so much is computerized. But there are client meetings that have had to go on. One of my daughter's projects was a rehabilitation facility during the worst of it. Once they opened again, she had frequent meetings on location. She has to be tested before every meeting, and policies are very strict. She has been tested more times than she can count, but so far has not had it.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Lani wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:37 am I think that's why it spreads so much. Some people with covid that have a mild infection don't isolate.
One of the criticisms of the vaccine is that you end up spreading Covid more since vaccinated folks are more likely to get asymptomatic Covid and not realize that they’re spreading the disease.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs.V's cousin's (who lives near DC and has a cottage on the Circle) SIL tested positive for Covid. He is isolating at home and the rest of the family has tested negative so far. However the cousin and her husband had babysat for their grandchildren over the weekend and the husband has symptoms so they have abandoned their plans to drive up here tomorrow.

Meanwhile our older daughter who tested positive in France has now tested negative so she and Mrs. V will fly back tomorrow.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our younger daughter's husband has tested positive. She flies home tomorrow so they will have to stay apart for several days. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

OK, I got it on a personal basis now. So does SWMBO.

We've both had 4 needles. Our symptoms are pretty much just a bad cold. Its shittier for SWMBO because she is also recovering from shingles that hit her about 3 weeks ago.

So we are in isolation until the 10th. I think the food in the house might just about last that long. We just stocked up on Scotch, but the beer might be a bit thin. It isn't really the right weather for Gin & Tonics, but I guess desperate times call for desperate actions. And I just put fresh batches of pulled pork and taco meat in the freezer so I don't think we'll go hungry.

We reported our positive RATS test to the State hotline, and they promised to SMS us with more information within an hour. SWMBO got her SMS almost right away. 24 hours later and I still don't have the SMS. The info in the message isn't anything that isn't already on the web site, but I want to know why I being discriminated against!

Edit: Oh crap! I haven't checked if we have enough toilet paper to last the week!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Some of our closest friends (including our geographically closest friends) have come down with Covid in the past couple of weeks. One of them was in Colorado with family when formerly-favorite aunt broke agreed-upon protocols, had dinner with antivaxxers, and became a plague rat. So an extra 10 days of quarantine, and guess who had agreed to pick up my friend from the bus stop for 'last mile' delivery?

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”