Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
pipistrelle

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by pipistrelle »

Hope he recovers soon and completely.

Now imagine not being vaxxed and boosted and getting it. 😱
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Pro tips:
Get an o2 reader, the kind that goes on the finger. Monitor carefully. If it goes below 90 consistently, consider hospital.

Go to the ER in the morning, as early as you can. The wait is much shorter.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I’m getting a little annoyed by the “omicron* isn’t that bad” trope I’m reading about in the media. It’s true that it doesn’t appear to involve the lungs the way earlier variants did. But still, he’s very sick. I doubt there’s much that can be done for him that couldn’t be done at home. I think we’re too late for monoclonal antibodies or retrovirals, that need to come in the first few days.

* We don’t have a specific diagnosis of omicron, but his symptoms align with symptoms not typical of previous variants - night sweats and a raging sore throat.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bighug:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:08 pm Thanks :bighug:

I’m getting a little annoyed by the “omicron* isn’t that bad” trope I’m reading about in the media. It’s true that it doesn’t appear to involve the lungs the way earlier variants did. But still, he’s very sick.
:snippity:
I'm hearing from people that that they are very ill, not mild at all. So, yeah, not as bad as delta, but still horrible.

Today we have 240 new cases. :shock: Our first responders are hit hard. Now there are beaches without lifeguards, and the police are stressed out & working long hours because their coworkers are sick.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Lani wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:32 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:08 pm Thanks :bighug:

I’m getting a little annoyed by the “omicron* isn’t that bad” trope I’m reading about in the media. It’s true that it doesn’t appear to involve the lungs the way earlier variants did. But still, he’s very sick.
:snippity:
I'm hearing from people that that they are very ill, not mild at all. So, yeah, not as bad as delta, but still horrible.

Today we have 240 new cases. :shock: Our first responders are hit hard. Now there are beaches without lifeguards, and the police are stressed out & working long hours because their coworkers are sick.
And Civil Beat says Hawaii is running out of treatments!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Maybe because of this?
Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 18-16-55 Hawaii COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer.png
Screenshot 2022-01-06 at 18-16-55 Hawaii COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer.png (13.13 KiB) Viewed 739 times
It doesn't include today - 4789 new cases. Not surprised that Hawaii, and all the states, are running low on monoclonal treatment. Only one of the 3 treatments works for omicron.

At last, and too late, island mayors are restricting on how many people can be inside stores, restaurants, bars, etc. Too late! Lots of businesses are struggling to stay open due to sick employees.

Yesterday I drove into town to have my car washed. Couldn't do it. It's down the street with the pharmacy that provides drive-in testing. There was a line of vehicles at least 2 blocks long.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

We have all but two QA testers out sick now. So, next sprint will be fun, I guess. Ugh. Even when they are all working they can't keep up and our productivity stays low because they can't keep up with testing. Ah well. I don't think any of them are hospital bound, so that's good. The one in our department who was in the hospital a few months ago is fine now, she pulled through.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

So sorry to hear about your husband. I wish you both well and him a quick recovery.

Omicron isn't that bad, ONLY if you don't have it. I agree with previous posters on the subject.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:00 pm Hope he recovers soon and completely.

Now imagine not being vaxxed and boosted and getting it. 😱
:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My sister's sister-and-brother-in-law have it. Not vaxxed. My sister's husband has been feuding with his sister, so didn't see her over the holidays. Who knows? That feud might have saved his life. He's had the J&J, but not boosted. We'll see if this changes his mind.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

Sitting here in tears as I am texting my BFF. Her 53 year old brother will likely not live through the weekend , the doctors say. It has fallen on her to go and tell her 90 year old mother.

So I am trying to be supportive of my friend who is truly the most decent human being I have known. She and her husband and kids are triple vaxxed and done all of the right things. But she has endured this agony for almost a month now and she will be left to pick up the pieces.

Incredible human suffering for no. good. reason.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry for you, your friend, and the family. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:27 pm I'm so sorry for you, your friend, and the family. :bighug:
Thanks Andy but don't feel sorry for me. I'm having a hard time mustering up any sympathy for her brother who put himself in that position. My tears are for my friend, her mom, and this guy's daughters, one just in college, the other in high school.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I know, but it's still tough. I can't get much sympathy up for my sister's relatives on her husband's side for the same reason. I hope they do okay, but I won't lose any sleep if they get into trouble.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Update: My husband is doing much, much better. He’s still sick, but much improved. I’m still isolated at the cabin. The nurse told me I should stay here at least until Monday, then re-evaluate. I tested myself yesterday and today - still negative.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:55 pm Update: My husband is doing much, much better. He’s still sick, but much improved. I’m still isolated at the cabin. The nurse told me I should stay here at least until Monday, then re-evaluate. I tested myself yesterday and today - still negative.
Yay!
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

2 and a half year old grandson goes to day care 3 days a week (both of his parents are teachers). They (the parents) were notified today that his teacher tested + and he can't come back to school for 10 days (yep I know that the CDC guidance changed but that is the preschool rule). Son wants Mrs. Reeve to watch him but she isn't sure she should do that. She had recent COVID but she doesn't want to infect me (I haven't had COVID AFAIK). We shall see how it plays out but I guess she will watch him and quarantine from me again. Little guy wears a mask all the time - when it slips off his nose he fixes it as soon as he notices - no big deal for him unlike the poots. Getting tested with a Q tip up the nose is a different story - he hates it and will not cooperate. I can understand that.
ETA that of course my son and his wife will test on Monday before they go to teach kiddos. They are not idiots. Son just got over COVID so should be OK to go.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Filly, I'm so sorry to read about your BFF and the suffering she and her family are going through, and how it's affecting you. :bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I went looking for at home tests yesterday. Nada. Zilch. Empty shelves. Cleaned out.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:56 am I went looking for at home tests yesterday. Nada. Zilch. Empty shelves. Cleaned out.
Walmart still has them around here (at least they did three days ago). Why pay $20 to “test” for something that (a) doesn’t exist; (b) if it did exist it’s just the flu; and (c) knowing their status wouldn’t change how they go about their lives (like isolating or masking up)?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Even Labcorp is currently out of stock.

https://www.ondemand.labcorp.com/at-hom ... ection-kit
filly

Post by filly »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:49 am Filly, I'm so sorry to read about your BFF and the suffering she and her family are going through, and how it's affecting you. :bighug:
:cry:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:55 pm Update: My husband is doing much, much better. He’s still sick, but much improved. I’m still isolated at the cabin. The nurse told me I should stay here at least until Monday, then re-evaluate. I tested myself yesterday and today - still negative.
Good to hear!!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Post-quarantine life can be spicy for a few weeks, intermittently. Enjoy.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”