Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
June bug

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by June bug »

:thumbsup:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:46 pm Mom is home! Doctors warned her that its going to take a long time to recover (with the implication that she had ended up back at the hospital because she pushed too hard). I reminded her that she has a grandbaby she needs to meet in a few months.
Good to hear the news. :clap:

The doctors are right: pushing too hard with post-viral fatigue is definitely unwise and there is no good evidence that it speeds recovery (hence the big argument in the UK with their clinical guidance body). If her body says "aahhh, not sure about this…", she must stop.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Do we Fogbowzers know whose grand baby it will be? Thee? (Thine?)
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I think I need to lay in a supply of Covid test kits.

I love my brother, his wife, and their four daughters. My brother and his wife live an hour south of me, while their three older daughters live and work in the Cities, and their youngest is a sophomore in college up here. I scrupulously avoided contact with them before I was vaccinated. My brother, a psychiatrist, has been vaccinated. My SIL has not, but did have Covid and tested very positive for antibodies. Their oldest daughter has been vaccinated, the second daughter has not but has also tested very positive for antibodies. The third daughter has, I believe, received just one shot. The youngest is not vaccinated nor has she had Covid.

I'm mostly good about wearing masks, but I did not last Saturday when I attended a college musical with my brother and his family. The youngest daughter was in the pit orchestra. I had a great evening, but I was in close proximity with the family. In fact, I rode up to the college with my brother, my SIL, and sat next to my oldest niece in the back of their vehicle. You can all see it coming... my oldest niece tested positive for Covid today. :shock: So, a break through case. My niece tested negative on Monday, positive today. She's young, healthy, and vaccinated so does not qualify for monoclonal antibodies although her mother said she will be getting Ivermectin :roll: . Yeah, she believes in that. Well, as long as it doesn't harm my niece, I'll ignore that. No, I can't argue with my SIL, she has a master's degree in immunology. Whatever. :shrug:

Will this change my actions going forward? No. Probably not. I'll make sure I keep away from people for the next week, but I will continue to see my brother and his family after that. After 40+ years of marriage, it just gets so lonely at times since my sweetie passed away in 2018. I've gotten my booster and I have my mom's great immune system. That'll have to do.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'm sure you'll be OK, especially with the booster, but jeez, the breakthrough case is terrifying.

Your poor niece, she was vaxed and did everything right, and still got the virus. Those are the stories that make me think the human race is going to be afflicted by this nightmare for many years into the future.

Luckily, because she's vaxed and younger, she will probably come sailing through it. Which I hope for, because the range of damage this thing can cause ...

I feel like saying "Let us know immediately if you have so much as a sniffle," but I got my medical license in a box of CrackerJack®, so maybe I should suggest you go see your own doctor if you have any symptoms, but you know that already. For those of you who haven't been paying attention, MN-Skeptic is an important voice of wisdom on this here website, and it's really important that she - and all the rest of you - DO NOT GET SICK OR INJURED, especially with COVID-19.

But I don't know how you could have predicted that your niece would be a breakthrough, and if we have to live like anyone we know could be a breakthrough at any time, then the terrorists have won and the pandemic will last forever.

We can't have that, so it's doubly triply quadrupely important that YOU not be a breakthrough.

:bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The friend of mine who came down with a breakthrough case in August is still dealing with it. She feels better, and has had her third jab, but she is only very gradually getting back her sense of taste and smell. She says it's not only that she has lost her sense of taste; it's that even when she can taste something, it can be truly awful.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:14 pm Do we Fogbowzers know whose grand baby it will be? Thee? (Thine?)
My sister and BIL are expecting to introduce little miss Valkyrie in March. (Dr. Vicklund is on medications that make babbie production a no-go - flipper baby would be a good outcome)
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:10 pm Your poor niece, she was vaxed and did everything right, and still got the virus. Those are the stories that make me think the human race is going to be afflicted by this nightmare for many years into the future.

Luckily, because she's vaxed and younger, she will probably come sailing through it. Which I hope for, because the range of damage this thing can cause ...
I texted with my sister-in-law tonight and my niece is much better today. No one else in the family (including a sister who's her roommate!) has gotten sick and I'm still feeling fine. I have ordered some BinaxNow test kits so I can test myself if I get exposed in the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Someone I went to school with passed away from Covid on Sunday. She was a grade ahead of me, so I didn't know her well, but I was in a bunch of classes with her sister. :crying:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:27 pm Someone I went to school with passed away from Covid on Sunday. She was a grade ahead of me, so I didn't know her well, but I was in a bunch of classes with her sister. :crying:
:brokenheart: :bighug:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My good friend's brother just died from covid. He was vaccinated and was exposed while sitting in his doctor's waiting room. 4 days from exposure to hospital admission. 9 days from hospital admission to death.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

That is so damned scary.

:bighug: :brokenheart:
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:15 pm That is so damned scary.

:bighug: :brokenheart:
This deeply concerns me too. I'm fully vaccinated and have my booster. I really dint go anywhere much and wear a mask in the grocery store. But I've been invited to a Black Tie Veterans Ball in Saturday and I'm increasing anxious about attending.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

We're having Thanksgiving at my bro the Yeti's place in San Francisco this year. Bosco, the other bro, hates driving in the City & wanted to come to my house & ride with me. He couldn't understand why I wouldn't want to sit a foot away from him in a car breathing his air for 3 hours. I can't understand why he'd be ok with that, plus the 4 hour round trip from his place to mine. Seriously, it's like an hour between their two houses, but Bosco was willing to spend 7½ hours on the road & potential Covid exposure to avoid driving by himself in SFO.

I'm barely ok being indoors with just Bosco, the Yeti, & Dr. J., considering that Bosco is working with lots of humans in a vaccinated but mask free office environment, the Yeti coaches dozens of germy little kids in addition to vaxxed & unvaxxed teens (all masked), and Dr. J. is a lecturer @ Stanford with classrooms full of (masked) students who are either vaxxed or tested regularly...the opportunities for breakthrough infections are greater than I like, but I'll cope.

But 3 hours in a car? :nope: Bottom line, we're each driving solo.
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

You're very lucky, my friend. I am permanently estranged from my four siblings, due to the divisive machinations of my severely alcoholic mother. On the bright side, she turned out to be a halfway decent grandmother. The last time I saw my siblings was at my dad's 80th birthday party. In March, 2008. The next, and final time will be at his funeral. Which, I'm in no hurry.

And the sad part is, they're not bad people. I'd like to have conversations with them, but our mother spent our entire childhoods setting us against each other, and since I was the oldest, the most rebellious, the most confrontational, and the most willing to call out bullshit when I see it, she made a point of getting the other four to support her in any struggles we had.

As a result, they are the only four people on the planet who sincerely think I'm an asshole, and there's really nothing I can do to change that. The other 7 billion people on the planet like me just fine, except for the birthers and Christopher Bruce. And he secretly likes me, he's just too embarrassed to say so because he threatened to put me in jail when we first encountered each other, before he went to jail about 4 more times.

Tell those curmudgeons your dick tater says Happy Thanksgiving. :smoking:
Edit: Oh, and that rebellious, confrontational, bullshit-calling me, the real me, the personality that I developed into during the struggles of my childhood? Those are most unfortunate personality traits, don't think I don't know that. 'Course, I came by them honestly. And now in my dotage and decrepitude, I'm adding ... cantankerous. :mrgreen:
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:37 pm My good friend's brother just died from covid. He was vaccinated and was exposed while sitting in his doctor's waiting room. 4 days from exposure to hospital admission. 9 days from hospital admission to death.
Do you know if masks were required in the doctor's office, or if patients were questioned about Covid syptoms before entering?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's brother, Sugar M. I know you know a million people, and as a result you have way more people dying that you actually know personally, and it has to be really hard on you. And that's in addition to that other little problem going on in your life, the one that left you achingly beautiful with no hair. :lovestruck:

I hope reading and writing here on Fogbow is helping, a little bit. If so, I'm glad about that. :bighug:

And it is a terrifying story. If Sugar M's friend's brother can get it and die, then nobody is safe anywhere. I had my booster. I go to the gym, I went this morning. Am I going to die because of that? Jeazess H. Kreist. :(
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:46 pm I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's brother, Sugar M. I know you know a million people, and as a result you have way more people dying that you actually know personally, and it has to be really hard on you. And that's in addition to that other little problem going on in your life, the one that left you achingly beautiful with no hair. :lovestruck:

I hope reading and writing here on Fogbow is helping, a little bit. If so, I'm glad about that. :bighug:

And it is a terrifying story. If Sugar M's friend's brother can get it and die, then nobody is safe anywhere. I had my booster. I go to the gym, I went this morning. Am I going to die because of that? Jeazess H. Kreist. :(
I think there is an unknown factor or more that makes people more susceptible regardless of their health, that is, it makes even non-obese, non-diabetic, etc., people more susceptible. That’s the only way I can explain some of those who died and some of those who haven’t, vaxxed or not.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Sequoia32 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:05 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:37 pm My good friend's brother just died from covid. He was vaccinated and was exposed while sitting in his doctor's waiting room. 4 days from exposure to hospital admission. 9 days from hospital admission to death.
Do you know if masks were required in the doctor's office, or if patients were questioned about Covid syptoms before entering?
Masks required but I'm not sure about the questions. All my doctors just have signs that say "report if you have any of these symptoms" but nobody actively checking.
Lani

Post by Lani »

On my way to my doctor's office soon. Everyone wears a mask. Limited # of patients inside. Wait your turn to enter while sitting in widely spread chairs outside of the office. Temperature check before entering.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:12 pm On my way to my doctor's office soon. Everyone wears a mask. Limited # of patients inside. Wait your turn to enter while sitting in widely spread chairs outside of the office. Temperature check before entering.
They think he caught it in the waiting room. My doctors all have either blue tape Xs on chairs you can't sit in, or the chairs are taped across the arms. None of my doctors have any place to sit or wait but the waiting room. The radiology dept is the only place they've ever done a temp check, and you have to walk through the waiting room to get to the nurse behind the counter so she can take your temp.
Lani

Post by Lani »

So, probably not an issue, but... has anyone else stopped cutting their hair? I had a haircut in late 2020. Now my hair is well below my shoulders, and I don't really give a damn.

My kid thinks I look like an old hippie, which frankly is accurate. I just don't care. I'm also listing on craigslist to sell my suits. Are office suits still a thing? :shrug: I'll keep a suit or two in case I have to testify in person, but more likely I'll just have to wear a shirt and a blazer on a zoom meeting.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Lani wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:52 am So, probably not an issue, but... has anyone else stopped cutting their hair? I had a haircut in late 2020. Now my hair is well below my shoulders, and I don't really give a damn.

My kid thinks I look like an old hippie, which frankly is accurate. I just don't care. I'm also listing on craigslist to sell my suits. Are office suits still a thing? :shrug: I'll keep a suit or two in case I have to testify in person, but more likely I'll just have to wear a shirt and a blazer on a zoom meeting.
I think my last haircut was in 2018, around Thanksgiving. As for suits, in my office, very few people wear them on a regular basis.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I cut my own hair for twenty years before the pandemic, why stop now? Ol' Wifehorn does the trimming, and she does our boys too also. Only SWMBO is paying for hair care of any kind.

Y'all remember how curly my hair is, and now it's only on the back half of my head ('half' being generous).

If'n I let it grow out I'd look like half-bald Bride of Frankenstein.

Army-Navy football game, 1976, Philadelphia

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”