Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
pipistrelle

Re: Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

Post by pipistrelle »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:26 pm After some research on my own, I thought Paxlovid, the combination anti-viral agent that's still under an EUA, might be appropriate.
A certain percentage of cases get a rebound case of COVID (including Biden). Something to look out for. Unless I'm getting treatments mixed up.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 am
johnpcapitalist wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:26 pm After some research on my own, I thought Paxlovid, the combination anti-viral agent that's still under an EUA, might be appropriate.
A certain percentage of cases get a rebound case of COVID (including Biden). Something to look out for. Unless I'm getting treatments mixed up.
People may be misinterpreting the observation that 10% of patients have symptoms recur 5-10 days after a treatment with Paxlovid as evidence that it's ineffective. Remember, 90% effective isn't really all that bad. But it's also important to understand what percentage of COVID patients who weren't treated with Paxlovid also have symptom rebounds. I don't know the answer to that, but I bet it's not trivial. In other words, I would not assume that Paxlovid is causing significant numbers of symptom rebound cases, just that it doesn't help everyone, and I wouldn't thus use this oddity as a reason not to take it if your doctor is recommending it.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:02 am
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:25 am
People may be misinterpreting the observation that 10% of patients have symptoms recur 5-10 days after a treatment with Paxlovid as evidence that it's ineffective. Remember, 90% effective isn't really all that bad. But it's also important to understand what percentage of COVID patients who weren't treated with Paxlovid also have symptom rebounds. I don't know the answer to that, but I bet it's not trivial. In other words, I would not assume that Paxlovid is causing significant numbers of symptom rebound cases, just that it doesn't help everyone, and I wouldn't thus use this oddity as a reason not to take it if your doctor is recommending it.
I don’t think it’s symptom rebounds as Biden says he doesn’t have any, but tested positive again after testing negative. I don’t interpret that as ineffective, just something to be aware of.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I just a few hours ago posted that I was back. My husband got up, and said he was having breathing problems. Tested for Covid. Both positive. So far, I have no real symptoms. No fever, no sore throat, no new cough, no aches and pains. No surprise after traveling for three weeks. No idea how long I've had it, as I don't really have any symptoms.

Talked to the doctor's office, and I'm waiting a call back from the doctor after talking to the nurse.

Edited to add: They called back. We need to start a bunch of over-the-counter drugs. They also suggested monoclonal antibodies infusion. We have an appointment for noon tomorrow, but hubby is not crazy about it. I am pretty sure I am going, but doing some research.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:50 pm I just a few hours ago posted that I was back. My husband got up, and said he was having breathing problems. Tested for Covid. Both positive. So far, I have no real symptoms. No fever, no sore throat, no new cough, no aches and pains. No surprise after traveling for three weeks. No idea how long I've had it, as I don't really have any symptoms.

Talked to the doctor's office, and I'm waiting a call back from the doctor after talking to the nurse.

Edited to add: They called back. We need to start a bunch of over-the-counter drugs. They also suggested monoclonal antibodies infusion. We have an appointment for noon tomorrow, but hubby is not crazy about it. I am pretty sure I am going, but doing some research.
My mother got the antibodies last week and felt much better within about 24 hours.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:26 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:50 pm I just a few hours ago posted that I was back. My husband got up, and said he was having breathing problems. Tested for Covid. Both positive. So far, I have no real symptoms. No fever, no sore throat, no new cough, no aches and pains. No surprise after traveling for three weeks. No idea how long I've had it, as I don't really have any symptoms.

My mother got the antibodies last week and felt much better within about 24 hours.
I've been pretty draggy since we got home, but that's not unusual after dragging around the country by car, ferry, and train for three weeks.

My granddaughter is negative, so I think that says we got it very late in the trip. She's vaxed and boosted at almost 13. I hope she stays well.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Welcome back! I'm sorry you guys are sick - I hope you get better quickly!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I offer no medical advice, on account of how I didn't even get a medical license in a recent box of CrackerJack, but I do hope you and MrinPa are better soon! :bighug:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I got the infusion yesterday, and I am starting to feel better. Yesterday was my worst day. Hubby feels okay. Son is positive and probably now the worst of us. I am feeling weak, but definitely feel as if I've turned a corner.

Something I learned about the infusions yesterday. Doctors are apparently still prescribing the infusions prophylactically. The infusion center I went to yesterday said that's not what they should be doing. They only treat patients who are having symptoms. They treated me, but my husband wasn't having enough symptoms, so he didn't get the infusion. He got to sit in the car waiting 70 minutes for me. Also, the Government stopped paying for it on July 28. It cost me $350.
They told me that it would take 70 minutes. I assumed that would mean running an IV for an hour. Turns out, they set up the needle in my vein and had the infusion done in less than 2 minutes. I never felt a thing. Ten minutes for paperwork and infusion; an hour to be sure I didn't have any reaction.

The doctor who runs the clinic I went to set up the first infusion clinics in the US for Covid. I felt in good hands.

Edited to Add: My granddaughter is still testing negative. I think she should be out of the woods now. :pray:
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm still waiting for more info on covid & famotidine. No great medical reports on it yet (takes awhile), but more people are trying it for long covid, and particularly for joint & muscle pain and loss of taste & smell. I think reddit has a group trialing it, but I haven't looked yet.

Likewise, so far there is little new about using a large (but not dangerous) dose of famotidine to prevent the virus cytokine storm if taken shortly after becoming ill. I told my son about it when he had covid & picked up the standard medications. He picked up famotidine, too. He's symptoms were mild, and he continued working from home. No lingering problems. Was door knocking & meeting groups in less than a week. A coworker recently had it, returned to work, said was no big deal. In the two weeks since, she's only been able to work 3 to 4 days because of aches and exhaustion.

Anyway... So today, I started a daily dose. I'll let you know how my personal medical trial goes.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Good.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Yet another drug that may treat covid that Dr. Vicklund is on...
Lani

Post by Lani »

Day 1: I goofed. I took one 20mg famotidine. Usually I take 3-4 gabapentin daily, but that day it was 1. However, I basically just stayed in bed.

Day 2: I took one 10 mg famotidine. I was also more active (by my current standard). 2 gabapentin pills.

Day 3: as above.

Realizing that I'm not doing this right, tomorrow (Sunday) I'll switched to the 20mg famotidine only and see how much gabspentin I need.

So I'll have better data when I do the same thing (dosage) everyday. Duh! :bangwall:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck. :bighug:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We just finished a COVID lockdown. The Girlfriend (who is no longer The Girlfirend) had just started a job at Starbucks. Her first week someone came back from COVID too early and she got it. Fortunately our house is set up perfectly for it. They had an entire floor to themselves, with 1 room each. She crocheted and made TikToks; he made music but never got the Rona.

Now the break-up drama is ascendant. Joy. I haven’t slept thru the night in several days from the drama. I don’t have the drama, I don’t much like the drama, but I can’t escape the drama. DOOM has settled like a pall over my home. :lol:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Uh-oh! I hope they get things sorted soon so you can go back to drama-free living!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Those without drama complain about boredom. Dramatically. :mrgreen:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Restated, drahmah and bordom are inversely proportional.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

For those who know exactly where and when you were exposed to COVID, how long did it take to develop symptoms? To test positive? I'm asking because I was exposed last Sunday.
Lani

Post by Lani »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:36 am For those who know exactly where and when you were exposed to COVID, how long did it take to develop symptoms? To test positive? I'm asking because I was exposed last Sunday.
Usually, it's 3 days.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Pretty sure of when we were exposed, in spite of the fact that we got sick after traveling. But we think we were exposed picking up a dinner because the granddaughter who was with us constantly and her mother who we spent the day with never got sick. We tested three days later and were positive. BUT you can be exposed and not have any symptoms, so might want to test anyway. My son and I had differing symptoms. My husband didn't have any, but he tested positive.
Lani

Post by Lani »

People who have covid without symptoms can still have long covid as months pass. Sorry to be a downer.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Well, I tested positive today with a home test and again at Walgreens. I started to feel a cold coming on Thursday and decided to test just in case. I had a low fever yesterday for a few hours which isn't uncommon for me when I get a bad cold. Now I'm just a snot factory, my nose is raw and I have an occasional tickle cough. And I've had 5 shots total, Pfizer x4 and a Moderna booster last month. My hubby and daughter are negative at this time. Hopefully they'll stay that way.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

poplove wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:19 pm Well, I tested positive today with a home test and again at Walgreens. I started to feel a cold coming on Thursday and decided to test just in case. I had a low fever yesterday for a few hours which isn't uncommon for me when I get a bad cold. Now I'm just a snot factory, my nose is raw and I have an occasional tickle cough. And I've had 5 shots total, Pfizer x4 and a Moderna booster last month. My hubby and daughter are negative at this time. Hopefully they'll stay that way.
I was exposed two weeks ago and haven't developed systems and have tested negative several times. I credit three shots and two boosters for that, and the same and Paxlovid for the person who had it basically having bad cold symptoms with extra fatigue. Two years ago we'd both have been in intensive care.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”