Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Coronavirus on a Personal Basis

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:54 am Time to look up recipes for leftover turkey. ;)
For something different in the turkey soup category, my favorite is mulligatawny.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:54 am Our Thanksgiving plans have been upended. :( Our SIL's mother has tested positive for Covid 19 so she and her husband won't be coming. :(

Whether SIL's brother and brother's wife will be coming is uncertain at this point. They don't live with the parents but they live in the same city and see a lot of them.

So instead of 9 for Thanksgiving we are definitely down to 7 and might be down to 5. If that happens Mrs. V and I will be the only turkey eaters. We have a 20 lb turkey. Time to look up recipes for leftover turkey. ;)
I had to get a 20-pound turkey this year, as it's all they had left. I'm roasting it tomorrow, since there are only three of us who eat it. It will be easier to put the side dishes in the only oven I have. As far as leftovers, we are purists. Leftover turkey with gravy and leftover stuffing. We love turkey, so we never get tired of it just as is. Also, it freezes well in the gravy. I make a huge pot of soup, too.

I'm sorry about the Covid-19. It's a sad reminder that it's still very much a part of our lives.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Porterhouses....yum! :daydreaming:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The best thing about eating less red meat is how wonderful it is when you do.

Turkey white bean chili made with cream cheese! It’s surprisingly delicious.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

And it hit my hubby Tuesday night. He had a 102 fever so I fed him cold meds and sent him to bed. A bit of a rough night but he was up and functioning yesterday. Last night was a bit rough with coughing but he settled down after taking more cold meds. He got some sleep and is doing okay today. I told our daughter to be prepared for her turn. She always wears a mask at work (public library) and she's been wearing a mask around him. I wore a mask around her when I found out I had it. She spends most of her time in her room normally so she might be able to avoid it.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Last week was terrible.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Lani, :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Oh dear Lani, you seem to have started a new career as an interactive medical encyclopedia. :(

I haven't read about Covid sequelae beyond fatigue and general neurological damage taking its time to recover. These specific symptoms must be frustrating and perhaps scary. I'm sure we all hope they don't persist and that you feel yourself again in the very near future.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug: :bighug:
Lani, I dearly hope they can find relief for you :bighug:

I sat the mr down last week for a chat. I’ve been feeling useless, like I’m not pulling my weight, etc when the long COVID is strong. It comes and goes.

“I’m only going to say this once. I don’t want to have to keep apologizing” and he folded me up in his arms and told me he didn’t feel that way, in fact he felt a little guilty for not having them himself.

ETA Enjoy your new career! :rotflmao:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:

Both of you.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

The US is lacking understanding of long covid. The countries with universal medical care knew the first year that some people don't recover and the problems they experience. If I recall correctly, it was a British woman began a website about the problems she had after she as ill, and people around the world posted their medical problems. Last time I looked, the list of long covid conditions topped 204, and it was taken seriously... other than the US.

We are so behind. When I look for more info about eyes, most medical papers recently published were based on 2021 data. I found more info in the Euro papers.

Currently, some people who tested positive and had a mild sickness or no symptoms at all are having long covid symptoms weeks or even months later.

Where I work, employees with long covid are trying to hide it because too many people think long haulers are just whiners. In the UK, long haul is taken seriously, and it is recognized as a disability if it lasts 12 months. Even if it comes and goes (good days, bad days).
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Gupwalla wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:11 am
Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:54 am Time to look up recipes for leftover turkey. ;)
There's uh, turkey-kabobs, turkey creole, turkey gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple turkey, lemon turkey, coconut turkey, pepper turkey, turkey soup, turkey stew, turkey salad, turkey and potatoes, turkey burger, turkey sandwich.
Turkey tacos for the win.

I did 2 turkey breasts in the slow cooker and pulled it into shreds. They were about 1.5 kilos each (3lbs maybe?). We had 20 people over.

I have most of one of the breasts leftover! I have Turkey Tacos from now till Festivus at least.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:18 pm :bighug: :bighug:
Lani, I dearly hope they can find relief for you :bighug:

I sat the mr down last week for a chat. I’ve been feeling useless, like I’m not pulling my weight, etc when the long COVID is strong. It comes and goes.

“I’m only going to say this once. I don’t want to have to keep apologizing” and he folded me up in his arms and told me he didn’t feel that way, in fact he felt a little guilty for not having them himself.

ETA Enjoy your new career! :rotflmao:
It's more like returning to my old career. In 1999 I returned to the US and was hired to be an ADA attorney for people with disabilities.

I sent my mea culpa email to my director this morning.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Lani

Post by Lani »

So I've probably mentioned my vision problems. Double vision, night blindness, and day blindness as well as loss of depth perception. I stopped driving and called to see an ophthalmologist. Since Kaiser didn't have any records about my vision, I had to see an optometrist first. I knew what I was experiencing was a result of covid, but the appointment did not go well. I told her the changes in my vision after covid, and she said covid wasn't involved - she was going to get me new glasses to improve vision. :roll: And she put me line for cataract surgery even though I don't qualify yet. I was depressed when I left.

A few days later the eye surgeon called me about the cataract referral. He asked about my vision, and I gave him the whole list. He said "when did you have covid?" Hallelujah! Unfortunately, he's going on vacation during the Christmas & New Year with a busy calendar when he gets back. He said he'd find a way to meet me. And an hour later, his office called me to say he's coming in early on January 3rd to see me. Whew!

The US is way behind other counties about the long term disabilities from covid. And 700k to a million people in the US are trying to get SSDI support.

Years ago I represented a woman with fibromyalgia who was one of the 1st in the US to receive SSDI. She moved to Hawaii, and then her ex wanted custody of their child because fibro was a middle aged woman's mental illness. :nope: :mad: P.S. He lost.

But that was similar to long haul. Too many people with long haul are suffering without quality care and support and are thought to be whiners.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Day before yesterday we were scheduled to get our flu shots & covid boosters but they ran out of the covid vaccine so we took the flu shot and had to go back yesterday morning for the covid vaccine. It was a good shot and I complimented the Pharmacist on it.

This morning I woke up and could barely move my damn arm. It’s red, bruised, swollen and hurts like I got hit with a damn baseball bat! I went straight for the Advil Liquid Gels, my primary drug of choice. Other than that I don’t feel sick so that good, just a bit tired.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

On Friday, Dr. Vicklund went in to get her Cimzia shot and an appointment with her primary rheumatologist. It was a long appointment - she went in at 4 and she finally called me after 7 saying she was on her way home! Anyway, the reason it was so long is they were discussing the state of Covid and what were appropriate protections for her at this time (remembering that she's on multiple immunosuppressants). She's been cleared to go to small gatherings with friends and family, so long as people are healthy! Also, Omicron is so contagious that wearing masks no longer is of much benefit, because it takes a much smaller amount than any previous variant, so there's no point in me wearing a mask to the office, etc. except to avoid influenza, RSV, or colds.

Dobby is a free elf! :towel:

within reason
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Good for Dobby, but in my neck of the woods you can't get in a doctor's office without a mask. I don't object, I have comfortable and good masks, even if they won't stop Omicron.

And for the record, Omicron should be a planet, not a stupid virus. Jeez. :blackeye:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:03 pm Good for Dobby, but in my neck of the woods you can't get in a doctor's office without a mask. I don't object, I have comfortable and good masks, even if they won't stop Omicron.

And for the record, Omicron should be a planet, not a stupid virus. Jeez. :blackeye:
Frankly, I don't think I'll ever go to a doctor's office without a mask. There's more than Covid to worry about (and I was always hesitant to go to the doc when I got sick because I didn't want to risk spreading it to others).

And it was Unicron that was the planet, so there!
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:53 am ...so there's no point in me wearing a mask to the office, etc. except to avoid influenza, RSV, or colds.

Even if you don't avoid Covid, why would you want to catch a cold or influenza?
W. Kevin Vicklund

Azastan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:57 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:53 am ...so there's no point in me wearing a mask to the office, etc. except to avoid influenza, RSV, or colds.

Internal voice doesn't always convert well to text.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:11 pm

I'm obviously not understanding your internal voice.

Dobby kept the 'useless sock' and wore it until the day he died, because the sock made him free. Are you saying that you will keep wearing the 'useless piece of clothing' until the day you die?
W. Kevin Vicklund

Azastan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:41 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:11 pm

I'm obviously not understanding your internal voice.
Read the second part with a resigned voice? Add a 'sigh" at the end? Something like that.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Happy news! I think...

I had to stop my medication for nerve pain because it caused too many problems, so I got a different prescription. Also, I started taking famotidine (pepcid) again. I stopped the new prescription a day before I had to provide a 2 hour training b/c it also seemed to cause memory and confusion problems. Then I forgot to return to it. Just took the famotidine.

And now for 3 days, I only have minimal back pain. Just a little ache. No memory problems. OMG, I can walk! I hope this lasts.

I have A LOT of January & February appointments at my hospital to follow up on me. (Apparently, I'm a lab rat.) We'll see what happens, but for now I'm very happy. :dance:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Great news, Lani! :bighug: :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:fivestar:
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”