Fones, Computers and Other Technical Junk

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Fones, Computers and Other Technical Junk

Post by RTH10260 »

:crying: :crying: :crying:

I had to reboot my longest running device, the router, after 575 days in operation :crying:

Since beginning of December I have experienced various outages, multiple times a day, from short sub-minutes off the internet to longer like 45 minutes, all recovering themselves.

Then some that never recovered. To begin and based on long experience with former cable modems I would restart the cable modem. Sometimes just reattaching the router to a different port on the cable modem was a solution.

I have a second router in experimental status, not yet fully configured to my wishes, this one would continue to work. Before blaming the cable company for a lemon I rebooted my long trusted router, it has been serving now for 5+ years. Now waiting to see if the blackouts still happen :bored:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Is that a home router?

Here, we have telephone, Tee Vee, and internet all coming from one box which we call the router, provided by AT&T. I have access to the box by an internal IP address, so I can use a browser to reboot it, to make sure that both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks are up and running (only one computer is connected to the router by CAT6 cable, and that's mine, of course :mrgreen:).

When my fambly complains that the wireless is laggy and it's interfering with gaming, I access the router using a browser and reboot the whole system, including phone and Tee Vee. It takes 160 seconds, and it shows an online countdown timer.

You're all done, enjoy the 21st century!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The cable abo includes all those things here too, internet, tv, landline phone, and local wifi. The company provides their cable modem as part of the abo. But it is somewhat basic and has limited customization options. I wanted much more flexibility to access my LAN and the file servers from outside when in a farawy land of smiles. So I bought a Zyxel entry level device, then touted small business and home use. The cable modem is set to bridge mode and my router does all the heavy lifting.

The Zyxel router entered end-of-life status a couple of years back and I was contemplating a replacement. Then mid-year the cable company offered their next round in speed improvments (they did this every two years in the past at same price) and I got their new GiganetBox cablemodem/router. Turns out my current router maxes out it's bandwidth at 100Mbps, not near the giga bits expected from the cable side. Connecting the laptop directly to a Giganexbox port gives real life sustained bandwidth of 430+Mbps on download and the promised 100Mbps on upload. So I went to purchase one model number higher of the Zyxel product series, cause compatible with configuring the earlier model. As good luck had it, I found by chance a cheap buy on a local Swiss action platform a second hand unit, hardly used, out of a bancruptcy proceedings.

Now it's still sitting next to me awaiting to be finally configured. While nearly identical to the current model uploading the new configuration was not straight forward, neads some extra tweaking and somehow I am not finding free time for that activity.... :doh:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

First world problems, we're gonna survive 'em. :lol: I would sympathize, but what you have without the thing configured is a miracle. Every item in this room is a miracle of technology, even ballpoint pens and the fabric of my clothing.

I'd like to re-animate George Washington today and show him how we live. He'd never believe a minute of it. :nope:

Meanwhile, I'm fully in love with my new :pickle: 5a, it just gets better every day. :lovestruck:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The Super Gau --- worst-case scenario nuclear accident
Flawed HPE Software Update Erases 34M Kyoto University Research Files

Nancy Liu | Editor
January 3, 2022 11:55 PM

Kyoto University in Japan lost 77 terabytes of research data due to a defective software update issued by Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) that unintentionally deleted backups.

The mid-December 2021 incident resulted in the loss of around 34 million files from 14 research groups. And data from four of those groups cannot be restored by backup, according to the university.

HPE issued a statement in Japanese and “took 100% responsibility” for the file loss.

The script update for Kyoto University’s supercomputer system originally was designed to “improve visibility and readability,” including a find command to delete log files older than 10 days, according to HPE’s statement translated by DeepL.

However, a defect occurred in the program that backs up the storage of the supercomputer system manufactured by Japan Hewlett Packard, which caused the script to malfunction. In consequence, some data of the high-capacity backup disc storage was deleted unintentionally, HPE stated.

“There was a lack of consideration in the release procedure of this modified script. … We were not aware of the side effects of this behavior and released [the update] by overwriting the script while it was still running,” the company admitted.

“This resulted in the reloading of the modified shell script in the middle of the execution, resulting in undefined variables. As a result, the original log files in [the high-capacity backup disc storage] were deleted instead of the original process of deleting files saved in the log directory,” HPE added.

Kyoto University suspended the affected backup process but planned to resume it by the end of this month after fixing the problem in the program. And it advised users to back up important files to another system.

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/new ... s/2022/01/
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

W2 and I each upgraded from iPhone 6 to iPhone 12. (Apps had started refusing to update.) 12 is just a little bigger than 6, but the screen is much bigger as there’s no longer a home button.

The hardest part of the upgrade is actually what case to buy. For the last phones, we went to a store and selected cases from what was on the rack. We could see and touch them. Not so now. WAY TOO MANY CHOICES. :nope:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Whatever4 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:44 pm W2 and I each upgraded from iPhone 6 to iPhone 12. (Apps had started refusing to update.) 12 is just a little bigger than 6, but the screen is much bigger as there’s no longer a home button.

The hardest part of the upgrade is actually what case to buy. For the last phones, we went to a store and selected cases from what was on the rack. We could see and touch them. Not so now. WAY TOO MANY CHOICES. :nope:
Mrs. Shizzle and I both have the 12 Pro Max with Spigen cases and screen protectors. The case is nothing special but it does the job for not a lot of money. However, the screen protector is freaking awesome. Not so much for the protection being any better but because it comes with a jig of sorts that makes sure the placement is dead perfect the first time.

(iPhone 12 versions of what we have.)
Screen Protector: https://smile.amazon.com/Spigen-Tempere ... 08DQT3F3C/
Case: https://smile.amazon.com/Spigen-Liquid- ... 08BGCRLCD/
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Major U.S. airline CEOs warn 5G could ground some planes, wreak havoc

https://www.reuters.com/technology/excl ... ium=Social
The chief executives of major U.S. passenger and cargo carriers on Monday warned of an impending "catastrophic" aviation crisis on Wednesday when AT&T (T.N) and Verizon (VZ.N) are set to deploy new 5G service.

The airlines warned the new C-Band 5G service could potentially make a significant number of widebody aircraft unusable and "could potentially strand tens of thousands of Americans overseas."

"Unless our major hubs are cleared to fly, the vast majority of the traveling and shipping public will essentially be grounded," wrote the chief executives of American Airlines (AAL.O), Delta Air Lines (DAL.N), United Airlines , Southwest Airlines (LUV.N) and others.

The FAA has warned that potential interference could affect sensitive airplane instruments such as altimeters and impact on low-visibility operations.
The new 5G systems have been in the works for years. Why the sudden problem?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Post by tek »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:38 pm The new 5G systems have been in the works for years. Why the sudden problem?
C-band deployment, 4-GHz ish. Frequencies near where Radar Altimeters operate.
Concern that the altimeters won't have enough out-of-band rejection.

"5G" operates in many bands, these are the first C-band turn-ups.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

My cellphone is officially old. "Billshut" is now in the custom dictionary.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:38 pm Major U.S. airline CEOs warn 5G could ground some planes, wreak havoc

https://www.reuters.com/technology/excl ... 022-01-17/

:snippity:

I believe the authorities ignored the airline business early on. Then the FCC auctioned off 5G bandwidth near airtraffic control frequencies, the only country to do so. A US home made problem.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:38 pm Major U.S. airline CEOs warn 5G could ground some planes, wreak havoc

https://www.reuters.com/technology/excl ... ium=Social

A technical discussion on the effect 5G emissions have on radar altimeters.

PS: the military and several other groups expressed their concerns during the public response period to the FCC proposal. All ignored.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

5G is also accused of interfering with GNSS service. GNSS includes GPS as well as similar technologies implemented by other countries.

As stated in the video above the basic problem lies in the ability of the affected recievers to block out the energy of the offending interference of an entirely different frequency band. Any receiver no matter what it does, whether it is a AM/FM, a TV set, a cellphone, or a radar altimeter, has two jobs: to receive the frequency of interest and reject all others. The "receive the frequency of interest" is the simpler part. Essentially amplify tiny amounts of electromagnetic energy in the sky until you can hear it clearly. It's the "reject all others part" that's hard. And expensive.

All receivers have to compromise their rejection numbers with their price point and form factor. There are trade offs in all forms of rejection. It is generally done through a combination of passive filtering, and active frequency conversion. These passive filters require physical space, and conversion introduces noise. The ideal filter would have nearly vertical edges and a flat top like a butte in the desert with no losses. We call that having tight skirts. That is hard to achieve at a low cost in a small size.

Generally we are happy to see an inverted soup bowl shape. Looking at the green line in the video above, you can see it barely slopes in either direction from center. It has a dinner plate curve. The radar manufacturers could probably add a filter that squares that curve up quite a bit, but the losses it introduces would require they increase the transmitter power by a significant factor. My guess would be at least a doubling, but possibly less than one order of magnitude (10x)

The flat rejection curve also suggests the manufacturers were begging for problems long ago - that they should have seen this kind of cochannel interference coming as the world migrated to more and more wireless congestion. Frankly, I'm surprised bigger problems haven't occurred already, and may explain the nearly non-sensical commercial airline aversion to personal electronics use during take off and landing. They had to overcome poor product design issues as best they could because the OEM's weren't taking responsibility for advancing their technology.

So, in some ways the cloistered airline industry had this coming. It won't be a cost less fix, but it certainly won't be expensive compared to other safety measures they have had to implement. And ultimately it will improve safety in at least this one small thing.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:like:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Expanding mobile homes at an attractive price point.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Ready in 10 minutes? Fine. But don't forget the months you wait on order, and the months you wait for the zoning and building permits...

Also too the months you wait for the contractor to come and place the foundation slabs. You will not want to place such a mobile home just onto the gras, you will wake up with a sinking feeling :biggrin:

;)
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:20 pm Ready in 10 minutes? Fine. But don't forge the months you wait on order, and the moths you wait for the zoning and building permits...

Also too the months you wait for the contractor to come and place the foundation slabs. You will not want to place such a mobile home just onto the gras, you will wake up with a sinking feeling :biggrin:

;)
They used to be on wheels with supporting cement blocks.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

tek wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:32 am I ended up getting a Moto G Power to replace my ancient Moto XT1650.

Nice phone, does everything I need and more, super battery life, $130.
OKay, bitch time for neonzx.

You really like this phone? Andorid 11 is a pain. How to I switch between active apps on this thing? Sure, it's good and has Wi-fi calling but no NFC nor 5g. The interface is annoying. I can't navigate this A 11 OS.
tek

Post by tek »

I have held off the android 11 update.
Online chatter was not good.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

tek wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:58 pm I have held off the android 11 update.
Online chatter was not good.
Good on you. Mine came with 11 by default. :faint:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Whatever4 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:44 pm :snippity:
Someone below recommended Spigen cases. I am on my second and they are great. They are not as drop proof as the Otter Box but they are a lot cheaper and not so bulky. Also don't get suckered in to buying a $40 screen protector by AT&T like I did. I got one for my wife's phone and she hated it. It desensitized the touch screen according to her. I just don't think you need one with the gorilla glass they use now.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

re phone covers WAY TOO MANY CHOICES: I have recently seen a service that one can now have a cover printed with a personal image.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Here's a little bit different kind of phone case. My wife got me this for valentine's day because it looked like a cross between woodworking and tech. Shuttercase; rosewood veneer over TPU shell with carbon fiber (like) inlay. They say it's real wood veneer and it certainly looks and feels like it. I'm curious how the veneer will hold up wrapped around a TPU shell but it's much nicer looking than the Spigen it replaced.

IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1285.jpg (73.09 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
realist

Post by realist »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:20 pm Here's a little bit different kind of phone case. My wife got me this for valentine's day because it looked like a cross between woodworking and tech. Shuttercase; rosewood veneer over TPU shell with carbon fiber (like) inlay. They say it's real wood veneer and it certainly looks and feels like it. I'm curious how the veneer will hold up wrapped around a TPU shell but it's much nicer looking than the Spigen it replaced.

IMG_1285.jpg
Nice.
Image X 4
Image X 32
tek

Post by tek »

Crap, my Moto G Powerphone got tired of me asserting my ownership rights and "upgraded" itself to Android11 last night.

Battery life is now sucky. I used to go a day before it got down to 91%, now it takes less than an hour.

f'k f'k f'k

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”