Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Fones, Computers and Other Technical Junk

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Fones, Computers and Other Technical Junk

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 amI love that thing, in fact I just bought a $25 telescope that attaches to the camera lens and is 18x and came with its own tripod. Is that a run-on sentence? Walk it off,
Did the run-on sentence also come with the $25 telescope that attaches to the camera lens and which came with its own tripod so that you could take pictures without blurring that are at the end of this sentence which is now very long far away from the beginning of a sentence that may run-on?
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My iPhone ran out of storage space. I freed some up but 2 apps take up 30% of my available space so I knew it would happen again, soon. Yesterday I bought an iPhone 12 and gave sprout my 11. He had a 7 which breathed its last over the weekend.

I’m giving up 5x telephoto for memory. The 12 is lighter than the 11. Other than that I haven’t explored it much. It is lightening fast.

Am I fully protected now from morons?
“I’m now 5G’d, so you’d better not come near or I’ll wave it in your general direction and change you into a non-human!!”
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

I’ve used just about every primary manufacturer and just didn’t like the math when I looked at phone and new phone prices.
For the device, I went with Motorola (a G7 Power that has good battery life and can hold two SIM cards so if I need to I can have two different phone numbers on one phone. Not an issue now. I’m sure they must be up to G8 or G9, but the Moto was a great price on eBay and was ready to go. The operating system is nice with some unique gestures and controls.

T-Mobile has done me quite well out here in the sticks. I had some connectivity problems that couldn’t be resolved so they sent out a T-mobile hotspot that connects to my WiFi router and gives me excellent signal in the house and all around the property. Since I am now over 55, that plan is just $50/month and I don’t pay any insurance or anything since I got the phone for $170.

I lost it off my lanyard while sailing last summer and it sat in 8 ft of water for several days before someone found it and returned it (functioning perfectly).
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Danraft wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:22 am I lost it off my lanyard while sailing last summer and it sat in 8 ft of water for several days before someone found it and returned it (functioning perfectly).
Whoa, I never heard of a phone that could survive that. :shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
tek

Post by tek »

I ended up getting a Moto G Power to replace my ancient Moto XT1650.

Nice phone, does everything I need and more, super battery life, $130.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

tek wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:32 am I ended up getting a Moto G Power to replace my ancient Moto XT1650.

Nice phone, does everything I need and more, super battery life, $130.
:thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Millions of old phones, laptops, and smart gadgets could stop working later this week for a weird reason
Nihal Krishan
Wed, September 29, 2021, 11:06 PM

The internet connectivity on older tech devices and smart gadgets could stop working on Thursday after a key digital certificate required to access websites safely expires.

Let's Encrypt, a nonprofit organization that is the largest issuer of digital certificates — which encrypts and protects the connection between devices and websites on the internet — will be forced to expire one of its most popular digital certificates, the IdentTrust DST Root CA X3, on Sept. 30.

This means several phones, computers, video game consoles, smart gadgets, and "Internet of Things" devices bought before 2017 that use the Let’s Encrypt digital certificate in question, and haven't updated their software since then, could face significant issues connecting to the internet.

The problem will primarily affect popular devices, such as iPhones running iOS 9 and below, Android phones running below the 2.3.6 software, Windows computers running software prior to XP SP3, Sony's PS3, and PS4 game consoles, and the Nintendo 3DS.

“Certain older devices from 2016 and before and any gadget that has the word ‘smart’ in it that requires internet connectivity, like certain TVs, bulbs, fridges, and home control apps, could be affected by this certificate expiry,” said security researcher and cybersecurity expert Scott Helme. “It’s not clear how big of a problem this will be, but something somewhere will certainly break. There will be a bunch of fires tomorrow, and we’ll just have to put them out."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/millions-old ... 00565.html
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Probably will impact my old iPad, but I stopped using it when working at home and even the few times I needed to, I only connected to the internet long enough to download the bulletin for Sunday morning Zoom church (which is in person now). It is too old to update IOS to the version that is safe from the virus/hacking issues.

I have been intending to get a new one since I am home so delivery is easy. I as about to take care of it when we were going to go back to the office in October. Now that that has been pushed back to January, I am dragging my feet again. Probably should get on it.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Does anyone have a Samsung QLED TV? I have two that are about 3 years old. On both of them the Peacock TV app does not have audio on all channels. I am talking about the Samsung Peacock app not the Chrome TV or Roku app. The issue started about two weeks ago. The channel that carries the Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen shows is one that has the issue. If someone has a Samsung QLED could you download the Peacock TV app and try it? I would appreciate it. You need a free account from Peacock TV to use it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Reality Check wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:54 pm Does anyone have a Samsung QLED TV? I have two that are about 3 years old. On both of them the Peacock TV app does not have audio on all channels. I am talking about the Samsung Peacock app not the Chrome TV or Roku app. The issue started about two weeks ago. The channel that carries the Dan Patrick and Rich Eisen shows is one that has the issue. If someone has a Samsung QLED could you download the Peacock TV app and try it? I would appreciate it. You need a free account from Peacock TV to use it.
We have a six-month-old Samsung QLED TV. I downloaded the app and I have no sound.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:22 pm Probably will impact my old iPad, but I stopped using it when working at home and even the few times I needed to, I only connected to the internet long enough to download the bulletin for Sunday morning Zoom church (which is in person now). It is too old to update IOS to the version that is safe from the virus/hacking issues.
Why does this sound like a used car dealer's spiel? :lol:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

chancery wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:43 pm
northland10 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:22 pm Probably will impact my old iPad, but I stopped using it when working at home and even the few times I needed to, I only connected to the internet long enough to download the bulletin for Sunday morning Zoom church (which is in person now). It is too old to update IOS to the version that is safe from the virus/hacking issues.
Why does this sound like a used car dealer's spiel? :lol:
Shoot, for the last year, a salesperson could have said my car was only driven once a week to the store (or church) and would not be lying.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:49 pm :snippity:
We have a six-month-old Samsung QLED TV. I downloaded the app and I have no sound.
:thumbsup: Thank you so much for checking. It is not just me then. I have sound on some channels but not others.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:04 pm Sorry, no photo. I did not have my good camera ready with a charged battery and my phone would never have been able to deal with the distance and limited light.
It is for this reason I ordered a new Googly Pixel 5 yesterday. I am not going to be without a good camera, and at my price range it's got the best one.

I finally had to get a new fone cuz my banking app won't support the old one next month. Y'all may recall, I wasn't gonna spend a lot of loot when the only thing wrong with my antique Samsung Model A Ford is the battery drains in 2 hours or more, and you can't replace the battery. But I use the banking app.

I used my USAA credit card. Declined. I have $5,000 credit on that card. I pay it every month. I have a 740 credit rating. Why the fuck do I have that card if the one time I use it they decline the damn thing? I didn't even spend $500!

I got online and did a chat with USAA. "Oh, since that was really you, you can go ahead and use the card now."

"Hey MORON, no I can't use the card on a vendor who knows that you declined the card THIS MORNING. Is this your first day on the job? Second of all, you forced me to use a card I didn't want to use, so I already paid for the fone BECAUSE YOU SCREWED ME. Do I need to call you and ask for fucking permission every time before I use my goddam credit card that I pay off every month like clockwork?"

:mad2: :smokeears:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Update on the Peacock TV issue:

I have audio on all channels on both Samsung TVs now. :biggrin:
filly

Post by filly »

We received an email a month ago from our alarm company informing us that since our equipment works on 3G it will soon no longer work and we needed to purchase new equipment.. Very annoying since they are already ridiculously expensive, but my diligent husband called and asked the price of the equipment. They told him he could "find out" when they sent a salesman out to the house!

This was galling in and of itself but particularly since we pay too much money precisely because we are often living 1500 miles from that house.

Needless to say we are looking into a new security system but the choices out there are dizzying. We don't object to purchasing new equipment but we need the monitoring service. Anyone do this lately, and what are the pros and cons of what you chose?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'd be interested, too. Our alarm died system died about two years ago. We had had an alarm system in this house since 1989, but it was old-school, not digital. The company will now only do digital, and it was pricey, plus the monitoring costs were higher for the digital. I have a Ring doorbell, and we added several Blink cameras, but none of this is monitored. I'd prefer monitored as we travel(ed) so much, but you're right, the prices and choices are all over the map.
tek

Post by tek »

d-2a.jpg
d-2a.jpg (203.04 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I saw an Alexa-controlled SOAP DISPENSER on Amazon, which makes me think I'm not of this world.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:50 pm I saw an Alexa-controlled SOAP DISPENSER on Amazon, which makes me think I'm not of this world.
Command list: standart squirt... half-a-squirt... double-squirt... soapie.... :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No, I refuse to discuss the proper amount of soap with an appliance. En oh spels no. :nope:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

First order of business before posting on Fogbow with my new Googly Pizza 5x 5G - DEFEET OTTOCORECKT POIMANENTLY. :towel:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”