Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Stupid Thread

roadscholar

Re: The Stupid Thread

Post by roadscholar »

These are the same people the NRA and their Supreme Court buddies want to be allowed to carry loaded weapons in public with no training whatsoever.

What could possibly go wrong?
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

"immunity" :cantlook:

Think business contract.

Let Gohmert program the next algorithm :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I get those.

Those spam calls that say they're gonna get your business to the top of the Goog.

Yeah, Gohmert and Diamond and Silk are dumb enough to pay those guys money. And yeah, that's fraud.

What's your point? :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Murder Suspect Calls Cops Over Cold McDonald's Fries, Gets Arrested

18 Aug 2022

Authorities say an upset McDonald's customer called the police over cold fries on August 5 and was arrested after officers discovered he was apparently wanted for murder. The Kennesaw Police Department in Georgia said that the suspect, 24-year-old Antoine Sims, allegedly fled on foot when officers attempted to arrest him. Police say they caught Sims in a nearby apartment complex parking lot and arrested him.

raison de arizona

7CC98860-D6EF-433F-92F8-E0DC9F057642.jpeg
7CC98860-D6EF-433F-92F8-E0DC9F057642.jpeg (110.85 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I thought Socrates took hemlock to kill himself so he wasn't actually executed. Am I misremembering?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You are correct, Sam. It was a preemptive strike.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

:rotflmao: :bag:
still qualifies as being cancelled imo
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:15 pm You are correct, Sam. It was a preemptive strike.
Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:12 pm I thought Socrates took hemlock to kill himself so he wasn't actually executed. Am I misremembering?
Not really. He was sentenced to death through suicide by Hemlock. A bit like the Romans would sentence you to fall on your sword and kill yourself. Literally.

The tale is kinda interesting. Socrates was put on trial for Co-operating with the Spartans who had taken over Athens after the Peloponesian war. The Athenian system of Justice was that that The prosecution would propose a sentence, and then the Defense or accused would propose a sentence and then the Crowd would vote on the Sentence to be imposed.

Despite Plato's attempts top to make him a hero, in my view Socrates was really just a troll who badgered and annoyed people. So the charges were trumped up by powerful people who Socrates has pissed off, and everyone knew it. So the Prosecution proposed death, thinking that Socrates would just propose a Slap on the wrist and everyone would go home happy.

What Socrates actually did was proclaim as his sentence that Athens should put him up for life and and give him money as his sentence and for the services he had provided the city. The Crowd, dumbfounded and enraged by this Jackass, voted for Death.

So what he did was pretty much Suicide by Cop. People have debated why he did for Millennia, but considering that we don't have a word directly from Socrates there is no real way of knowing. All we have are portrayals of the man, and Plato started putting his own philosophy into the mouth of Socrates very quickly so his portrayal is unreliable at best.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

They were just resentful because he did them a huge favor by being smarter than everybody else. :towel:

Heck, he put Athens on the map, if'n they even had maps in those days. Even today, millions of morons in this great land of ours can vaguely recognize the name Socrates, but they never heard of Athens, not even the one in Tennessee where ol' Walt Fitzfundfilcher lives, if'n he's still alive, whew.

'Course, if'n they had given him a permanent vacation like they probably should have, he might not have been so famous and Athens wouldn't be on the map anyway.

:think:
Sam the Centipede

Off Topic
I remember reading a book when I was a young kid in which the main character read spending a about Socrates out loud but was described as pronouncing the name "so-crates". This went rather over my head as I had zero knowledge of such matters then and I just wondered "oh? how else would you pronounce it?"

As a result even now he remains "So-crates" in my head.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Crates - the baggage for life :lol:
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Moving one’s office using crates is smart and efficient.

Science moved forward using the So-crates Method
:thumbsup:
RTH10260 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:55 am Crates - the baggage for life :lol:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:49 am
Off Topic
I remember reading a book when I was a young kid in which the main character read spending a about Socrates out loud but was described as pronouncing the name "so-crates". This went rather over my head as I had zero knowledge of such matters then and I just wondered "oh? how else would you pronounce it?"

As a result even now he remains "So-crates" in my head.
Fun. The Greeks invented everything including department names:
facilities pronounced fak-y-lee-tease
security pronounced sek-koo-ree-tea
administration pronounced ah-dee-min-ee-straht-ee-on
Sam the Centipede

? I'm sure you know those are derived via Norman (probably) French from Latin. Butt yess, speling iz knot uh guid guyed too pronounciation.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

... and you forgotted the Department of Redundancy Department. :nope:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Bill and Ted knew how to pronounce So-crates. They even had him in one of their movies.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah crates rhymes with Gaetz. :crazy:
raison de arizona

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:43 pm Bill and Ted knew how to pronounce So-crates. They even had him in one of their movies.
That was my first thought. Bill & Ted was of course filmed in San Dimas Arizona where we have been slowly losing the landmarks. The infamous mall scene was shot in Metrocenter, which was my local mall growing up where I took ice skating lessons. That's getting razed to build a village. Sunsplash is gone. And the Circle K where the phone booth was? Closed just this year. They held a screening of the movie in the parking lot to commemorate, IIRC. Anyway. So-crates it is!
Tiredretiredlawyer

:biggrin:
Lansdowne

Post by Lansdowne »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:43 pm Bill and Ted knew how to pronounce So-crates. They even had him in one of their movies.
Bruce at the Philosophy Department of the University of Woolloomooloo. He knows how to pronounce Socrates

"There's nothing Nietzsche
couldnt teach a-
bout the Raising of the Wrist:
Soc-rat-es himself is particularly missed."
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:53 pm ... and you forgotted the Department of Redundancy Department. :nope:
The late William Safire used this locution quite often in his weekly columns on grammar. So, I haz a query of the Supreme Dick Tater:

Did Safire lift this turn of a phrase from youse, or did youse lift it from him, or is this another one of life's remarkable coinkidinks?

:?:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

“Yo, Semite! Have you seen So-crates today?”
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:17 pm “Yo, Semite! Have you seen So-crates today?”
:rotflmao:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”