The Stupid Thread

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:42 pm
Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:53 pm ... and you forgotted the Department of Redundancy Department. :nope:
The late William Safire used this locution quite often in his weekly columns on grammar. So, I haz a query of the Supreme Dick Tater:

Did Safire lift this turn of a phrase from youse, or did youse lift it from him, or is this another one of life's remarkable coinkidinks?

:?:
I heard it on a Firesign Theater comedy album, Don't Crush that Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers, released in 1970.

Afraid I wasn't much of a Safire reader.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Foggy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:01 pm
Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:53 pm ... and you forgotted the Department of Redundancy Department. :nope:
The late William Safire used this locution quite often in his weekly columns on grammar. So, I haz a query of the Supreme Dick Tater:

Did Safire lift this turn of a phrase from youse, or did youse lift it from him, or is this another one of life's remarkable coinkidinks?

I heard it on a Firesign Theater comedy album, Don't Crush that Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers, released in 1970.

That is apparently the original source Foggy: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... Department
The Firesign Theatre gets credit for naming this trope on their classic 1970 album "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers", the album where the trope name comes from.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Cool!

Thanks for that bit of etymology.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona

I don't even know what this is, but at least the FDA is on it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

The pliers might be to loosen the child-proof cap of the NyQuil. They can squeeze the sweet spot easier than some of use can grip, especially if there is not much purchase.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:48 pm The pliers might be to loosen the child-proof cap of the NyQuil. They can squeeze the sweet spot easier than some of use can grip, especially if there is not much purchase.
Could also be to turn on the the gas to the burner if the knob is missing or broken.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:04 pm
humblescribe wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:48 pm The pliers might be to loosen the child-proof cap of the NyQuil. They can squeeze the sweet spot easier than some of use can grip, especially if there is not much purchase.
Could also be to turn on the the gas to the burner if the knob is missing or broken.
That's what vice grips are for, not pliers!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Or maybe to pick up the skillet that does not look to have a handle.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Notice his Floriduh man physique in profile: watermelon belly!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Good job, dumb-ass! Get on out there in the middle of a hurricane and wave a lightning rod around for a few minutes.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:54 am Good job, dumb-ass! Get on out there in the middle of a hurricane and wave a lightning rod around for a few minutes.
or a projectile
Chilidog

The Stupid Thread

Post by Chilidog »

Ok. So on the facepalm social media site, I somehow got involved into a group made upmostly of people who own and renovate old houses. While the vast majority of posts are fairly benign at least once a day or so, someone will post something along the lines of:

"Hi, I just power sanded my wooden porch! Boy was it dusty!"

To which I respond: "Did you test for lead based paint first?"

"<Crickets>"

I know, I'm a real killjoy.

The two latest ones of note were on where a guy was repairing some rotted joists in his kitchen and found an abandoned well under the floor. He was thinking of using it to water his garden and pets with it. A lot of people got really upset with me when I pointed out that under the laws of the state the OP lived in, there was little or no chance that an abandoned well underneath a dwelling could be legally recomissioned.

Other one, someone purchased an old farm property that had been a shooting club (😲) at one point in its history. They posted how they were cleaning up the underbrush to plant a garden and found loads of old shotgun shells, broken bottles, etc.

People were responding "Thats so cool!"

I'm thinking to myself: how did "used to be a shooting club" not raise a major red flag in someones head?

I had to be a killjoy again and point out that the ground was probably also contaminated with lead shot.

Sigh.
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, that's metaphysically absurd, man. How can you ruin everything when you are literally an apex food group? I wonder how many people in Russia are craving a chilidog RIGHT THIS VERY MINNIT but they can't have one because Vladimir is a bad man, and do you think he cares a jot about lead paint or lead pellets or abandoned wells? He likes to poison people, is what I heard.

What they need is a politician who promises a chilidog in every pot bun and two drones in every hangar, comrade.

:confuzzled:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

RIP
CALL TO ACTIVISM @CalltoActivism wrote: BREAKING: A right-wing Florida lawyer who fought against state laws requiring motorcycle riders to wear helmets was killed in a motorcycle crash while not wearing a helmet, the Tampa Bay Times reports.
Foggy
Dick Tater

The Stupid Thread

Post by Foggy »

Some folks will do anything to get a Darwin Award. :roll:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

Live free or and die free.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

The Stupid Thread

Post by neonzx »

I guess this could have went into the Florida Man thread, too.

So what was he law was he fighting?
316.211(3)(b) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a person over 21 years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head if such person is covered by an insurance policy providing for at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a crash while operating or riding on a motorcycle.
Dead lawyer is was clearly over age 21.

I've never had a motorcycle lifestyle fetish so maybe I just don't get it.
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

neonzx wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:56 pm I guess this could have went into the Florida Man thread, too.

So what was he law was he fighting?
316.211(3)(b) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a person over 21 years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head if such person is covered by an insurance policy providing for at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a crash while operating or riding on a motorcycle.
Dead lawyer is clearly over age 21.

I've never had a motorcycle lifestyle fetish so maybe I just don't get it.
I think FL used to have a helmet law, but it got repealed at some point.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

Bikers wear leathers so they won't need a body bag.
raison de arizona

The Stupid Thread

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

The Stupid Thread

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:54 pm
Foggy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:01 pm

That is apparently the original source Foggy: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... Department
The Firesign Theatre gets credit for naming this trope on their classic 1970 album "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers", the album where the trope name comes from.
Im pretty sure that it was in Mad magazine long before that.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Stupid Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Prime market: YouTube star Logan Paul’s £2 energy drink listed on eBay for £10k
Teenage fans queue from dawn at Asdas to buy hard-to-find Prime Hydration energy drink

Sarah Butler
Fri 28 Oct 2022 18.04 BST

One bottle is listed on eBay for £10,000 and teenagers have even been getting out of bed to queue outside Asda at 6am to get their hands on it – the Prime Hydration energy drink is bubbling over.

The drink is a new venture from social influencers KSI and Logan Paul who were boxing rivals and YouTube favourites before becoming business partners and branching out to take on the likes of Coca-Cola and Pepsi.

It is being sold exclusively via Asda at £2 a bottle, under a deal set until at least Christmas, and Prime’s own website in the UK, restricting supplies and making it tricky to get hold of.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ergy-drink
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

The Stupid Thread

Post by bill_g »

PT Barnum was right.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”