Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Stupid Thread

Chilidog

The Stupid Thread

Post by Chilidog »

This was posted in a Facebook group for Aquariums.
So I got a question for everybody if dry ice is melted is it safe for my fish tank
Even if the person is just being a troll, it's still a damned stupid post.
Jim

Re: The Stupid Thread

Post by Jim »

Google it, you'll be surprised.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:08 pm This was posted in a Facebook group for Aquariums.
So I got a question for everybody if dry ice is melted is it safe for my fish tank
Even if the person is just being a troll, it's still a damned stupid post.
So I searched in one place and saw this:
What does dry ice have to do with CO2(very curious)?
Oh dear. Somebody dozed off in science class.

I am a little confused about what they are doing. Dropping dry ice into water makes the CO2 come out as a fog (and if you use the right temp and type of fan, you get that floor hugging fog on stage, which I may have had some experience with). BTW, use gloves.. I learned this, multiple times.
101010 :towel:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I was a medic on the rescue squad for a fairly long time, I can verify without a doubt that there is way more stupid out there than most people can even imagine... Trust me... :shock:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

My only thought is that someone is trying to do a half assed DIY CO2 injection for a planted tank.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Dropping dry ice in an aquarium, with live fish, might lower the temperature of the water enough to cause problems for some fish, especially tropical fish.

If you're keeping North American freshwater fish, and a few people do, they might survive, but most tropical fish come from South America or the Caribbean and need a temperature of 78-80 degrees F. It would almost certainly be fatal for salt-water fish, which are very sensitive to temperature changes.

I don't think that the CO2 that would be given off would be much of a problem, unless it somehow displaced the oxygen dissolved in the water. That would cause the fish to suffocate, just as it would for you or I, if we walked into a room filled with CO2. I suspect that most of the CO2 would boil away into the atmosphere anyway and not dissolve in the water.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I referenced dry ice in a closing statement in a jury trial. We won. A teacher in a school was spreading rumors that my client and a coach were having an affair which was not true. In closing I told the jurors when you see smoke there's not always a fire. Sometimes it's dry ice.

Yes, I know dry ice does not "smoke". It worked.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:40 am I referenced dry ice in a closing statement in a jury trial. We won. A teacher in a school was spreading rumors that my client and a coach were having an affair which was not true. In closing I told the jurors when you see smoke there's not always a fire. Sometimes it's dry ice.

Yes, I know dry ice does not "smoke". It worked.
The birthers loved to use the term "where you see smoke" when using rumors to claim their truth. My response was, where you see smoke, you see Jerome Corsi with a smoke machine.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

It isn't often I encounter something so stupid it is physically painful...

NewsMax host fears the Biden administration will make it impossible for trees to breathe

https://www.rawstory.com/john-bachman-c ... ide-trees/

Seriously?!! :brickwallsmall:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm It isn't often I encounter something so stupid it is physically painful...

NewsMax host fears the Biden administration will make it impossible for trees to breathe

Assuming that this NewsMax nut case wasn't just deliberately being a fool, the schools are failing to teach basic science. :roll:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Ignorance, in the truest sense. People feeling like they can comment, in public, on the air, without spending five bloody minutes learning about the topic.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:51 pm
roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm It isn't often I encounter something so stupid it is physically painful...

Assuming that this NewsMax nut case wasn't just deliberately being a fool, the schools are failing to teach basic science. :roll:
More likely, it was taught, the student did enough to pass, then promptly did not care anymore. Too, also, in today's world, saying stuff is the important part. Actually checking to make sure it has any basis is unnecessary.

Lots of people have siloed their education from their real life.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Is Biden putting his knee on the tree's neck?
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

NewsMax is all I needed to see to know it was going to be wrong. Stupid is a given.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:43 pm Ignorance, in the truest sense. People feeling like they can comment, in public, on the air, without spending five bloody minutes learning about the topic.
My guess is that he knew that what he was saying was complete and utter BS. But, it makes a nifty sound bite and will appeal to the Trump lovers watching the network.

NewsMax seems to be trying to out-Fox Fox, and I don't mean in the sense of fooling them. I mean they are trying to create even bigger and more fantastic lies than Fox does.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Well, this is an awkward change in position for Republicans. In 1979, Reagan said that trees cause more air pollution than automobiles, and, in 1981, he doubled down, claiming that 80% of air pollution comes from trees. Now, NewsMax is worried that trees can't breathe? Which is it? Are trees polluting scum? Or fragile helpless victims of Biden?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:06 pm Well, this is an awkward change in position for Republicans. In 1979, Reagan said that trees cause more air pollution than automobiles, and, in 1981, he doubled down, claiming that 80% of air pollution comes from trees. Now, NewsMax is worried that trees can't breathe? Which is it? Are trees polluting scum? Or fragile helpless victims of Biden?
Actually, that's pretty close to being accurate.

At least today it is.

In 2014, it was eststimated that natural, biogenic sources are responsible for about 70% of atmospheric VOCS in the US. Anthropogenic sources account for the rest.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/roe/indicator_pdf.cfm?i=23
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

On that topic, apparently a major source of terpene emissions in the Denver metro area are from large, indoor pot grow farms.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Chilidog wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:05 pm
jcolvin2 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:06 pm Well, this is an awkward change in position for Republicans. In 1979, Reagan said that trees cause more air pollution than automobiles, and, in 1981, he doubled down, claiming that 80% of air pollution comes from trees. Now, NewsMax is worried that trees can't breathe? Which is it? Are trees polluting scum? Or fragile helpless victims of Biden?
Actually, that's pretty close to being accurate.

At least today it is.

In 2014, it was eststimated that natural, biogenic sources are responsible for about 70% of atmospheric VOCS in the US. Anthropogenic sources account for the rest.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/roe/indicator_pdf.cfm?i=23
I think that number was provided to Reagan by the API, and it may have been close to accurate at the time. What it somewhat deceptively leaves out is that "tree smog" is comparatively benign (compared to most industrial pollution) and the net beneficial effect that trees have on the atmosphere.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/image ... ot-exactly
https://thesciencewritingblog.wordpress ... nt-page-1/
northland10

Post by northland10 »

In four short years, the right has gone from giving away all the trees on federal lands to logging companies to now being tree-huggers. This is what happens when your one and only ideology is to object to the opposition, to "own the libs." They no longer fight "for" something but fight against whoever they identify as their current enemy.

They love Trump not because of what he is for, but that he "fights" against all their imagined enemies.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:31 pm In four short years, the right has gone from giving away all the trees on federal lands to logging companies to now being tree-huggers. This is what happens when your one and only ideology is to object to the opposition, to "own the libs." They no longer fight "for" something but fight against whoever they identify as their current enemy.

They love Trump not because of what he is for, but that he "fights" against all their imagined enemies.
He told them he’d lead the fight to the Capitol, then promptly disappeared. Few of them noticed. :lol:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The New York Times
@nytimes
A private school in Miami, whose co-founder falsely claims spending time around a vaccinated person can affect women's menstrual cycles, informed teachers that if they get vaccinated against Covid-19 they will not be allowed near students.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Were his dick cycles getting messed up because they were being too womany?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

How would he know?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:51 pm How would he know?
Perhaps he read a couple of women's moods wrong and ended up with child support judgements levied against him.
Il factotum

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”