Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Stupid Thread

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: The Stupid Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

We bought a Brother labeler. I was like, what about Dymo? Isn't that the gold standard? The better half said, "No, we want the Brother." Glad I listened to her.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:38 pm About the label printer DYMO

Newest generation of printers only can use Dymo provided labels, spools have RFID chip, printer does not run with third party paper.
I recently bought a new HP 8020-series printer. It will ONLY accept genuine HP ink cartridges. When I first got it, I bought some third-party cartridges. When I installed one, the printer displayed a message that it only accepted genuine HP cartridges.

I think I have bought my last HP printer. The last one couple I have had would not allow you to print beyond the point that the printer thought the cartridges were empty. In the past, I could run the cartridges until the page became unreadable. In many cases, I didn't care about great print quality, so I stretched it as far as I could.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

noblepa wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:00 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:38 pm About the label printer DYMO

Newest generation of printers only can use Dymo provided labels, spools have RFID chip, printer does not run with third party paper.
I recently bought a new HP 8020-series printer. It will ONLY accept genuine HP ink cartridges. When I first got it, I bought some third-party cartridges. When I installed one, the printer displayed a message that it only accepted genuine HP cartridges.

I think I have bought my last HP printer. The last one couple I have had would not allow you to print beyond the point that the printer thought the cartridges were empty. In the past, I could run the cartridges until the page became unreadable. In many cases, I didn't care about great print quality, so I stretched it as far as I could.
Check if the printer setup allows for disabling the "genuine" check.
This article has some guidance ---> https://www.yoyoink.com/articles/how-to ... p-printer/
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Several years ago, before manufacturers had a setting to allow printing past the low cartridge/toner warning, I was peeved because if a color cartridge was low it wouldn’t allow black/grayscale printing, even with a full black cartridge.

What really made me mad was that particular manufacturer disabled scanning on an all-in-one machines.
It was years before I bought another machine from that manufacturer.

A similar problem on my car is I get an engine code occasionally. Related to fuel tank venting. The dealer at first tried to place blame on me for topping off the tank. I don’t do that.
The problem is when it throws the code the car disables pretty much all automatic controls e.g. cruise control, traction control. Things that have nothing to do with toe problem. It was slightly unnerving the first time it happened. I tried to imagine what would happen if that occurred on an autonomous vehicle.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Reddog wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:46 am Several years ago, before manufacturers had a setting to allow printing past the low cartridge/toner warning, I was peeved because if a color cartridge was low it wouldn’t allow black/grayscale printing, even with a full black cartridge.

What really made me mad was that particular manufacturer disabled scanning on an all-in-one machines.

A similar problem on my car is I get an engine code occasionally. Related to fuel tank venting. The dealer at first tried to place blame on me for topping off the tank. I don’t do that.
The problem is when it throws the code the car disables pretty much all automatic controls e.g. cruise control, traction control. Things that have nothing to do with toe problem. It was slightly unnerving the first time it happened. I tried to imagine what would happen if that occurred on an autonomous vehicle.
Canon is that culprit. I understand that there is a class-action law suit brewing in the US cause they disable scanning functionality when someone is either low on ink or does not even want to use the printing functionality any longer.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:28 am
Reddog wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:46 am Several years ago, before manufacturers had a setting to allow printing past the low cartridge/toner warning, I was peeved because if a color cartridge was low it wouldn’t allow black/grayscale printing, even with a full black cartridge.

Canon is that culprit. I understand that there is a class-action law suit brewing in the US cause they disable scanning functionality when someone is either low on ink or does not even want to use the printing functionality any longer.
Hey, I remember years ago on Doc's site everyone piling on some birther guy who claimed he couldn't scan some documents because he was out of toner.

You mean to tell me he might have been telling the truth?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

keith wrote:
Hey, I remember years ago on Doc's site everyone piling on some birther guy who claimed he couldn't scan some documents because he was out of toner.

You mean to tell me he might have been telling the truth?
Oh, noes! The parallel alternative universe appears! :shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Wake up and smell the hair dye -

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

"Just curious": how do you prevent your Tesla from getting wet in rain and snow :?: Just asking for a friend :violin:
raison de arizona

Oops.
Dr. Joanne Freeman @jbf1755 wrote: No, it doesn’t.

You’re quoting the Declaration of Independence.

#ReadTheConstitution
Sen. Marsha Blackburn @MarshaBlackburn wrote: The Constitution grants us rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness – not abortions.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well, that was certainly a Pro-life argument I've never used. :lol:
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is ‘done with Disney.’ Can the Magic Kingdom endure this blow?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/c ... socialflow
What’s going on here, exactly? Disney last month came out in opposition to a new Florida law restricting how teachers can talk about sexual orientation or gender identity in the classroom — or barring them from even alluding to those topics, according to critics.

“Our goal as a company is for this law to be repealed by the legislature or struck down in the courts,” a company spokesman said in a statement, adding that Disney is committed to supporting state and national LGBTQ groups that are working toward the same goal.

In doing so, Disney elicited the wrath of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Trump wannabe who’s taken issue with what he calls “corporate wokeness.” The corporate giant also drew fire from the likes of Christopher J. Rufo, a conservative writer who’s been leading the charge against “critical race theory.”

“We are waging moral war against Disney,” Rufo tweeted March 30. “We are directly targeting their public reputation. We are turning half of their customers against them.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Robert J. O'Neill @mchooyah wrote: As a father of three daughters, I’ll fucking bury you and your pronouns.
:roll:
The US education system at work, I guess.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:06 pm
Robert J. O'Neill @mchooyah wrote: As a father of three daughters, I’ll fucking bury you and your pronouns.
Um.. how is this the US education system at work? The guy is a nasty asshole who seriously hates schools (they teach all that commie stuff like actual civics and getting along with others). Odd he chose t delete that text. I suspect he has some issues with making threats.

His parents and his narcissism are more responsible for his mouth, not the education system.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

northland10 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:22 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:06 pm
Um.. how is this the US education system at work? The guy is a nasty asshole who seriously hates schools (they teach all that commie stuff like actual civics and getting along with others). Odd he chose t delete that text. I suspect he has some issues with making threats.

His parents and his narcissism are more responsible for his mouth, not the education system.
I meant his lack of realizing he was using pronouns.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Since he deleted it I don't know for sure but I think this was his stupid way (in keeping with the thread) of mocking somebody who had she/her, etc. in their name because, of course, big bad Navy Seal is offended and afraid of things like specifying the pronouns you would prefer to be used when addressing you.

Robert is perfectly welcome to use a**hole/f***head for his and I would be perfectly happy to follow his request. They may not actually be pronouns, but they are better descriptives.
raison de arizona

raison de arizona

Nate Silver @NateSilver538 wrote: The theory that "misinformation" has changed electoral outcomes in the US is pretty badly underbaked, especially given that the last several elections have broadly been in line with what you might expect given underlying economic conditions, etc.
tek

Post by tek »

Nate Silver is definitely overbaked.

Also past his "best by" date.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:explode: :jawdrop: :brickwallsmall:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Then they took a vacation at Yellowstone.

noblepa

Post by noblepa »

northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:26 pm Then they took a vacation at Yellowstone.

At least he didn't lose his pants, like that woman a couple of years ago.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

When we were in Yellowstone, we had a family with two small kids ask us to take their photo right in front of a mother bison with her young calf. We declined. :crazy:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”