trump (the former guy, defamer, insurrectionist, and rapist - $83M)

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
sugar magnolia

Re: trump (the former guy)

Post by sugar magnolia »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:15 am Small nit to pick, but you can't "dye" something white. You bleach something white.

And before you all roll your eyes at me, think of all the lawyers and computer people who have picked at nits the same size as this one. :biggrin:
I see your nit and I raise you one ultra-pedantic mega-nit.

It turns out that you actually can and do "dye" quite a few manufactured products with white pigment. Not fabric, perhaps, but a staggering number of everyday products. I discovered this last year doing an economic research project at work on the market for industrial metals.

The world consumes around 10 million tons of Titanium Dioxide annually, far more than it uses in the form of titanium metal to build airplanes, etc. Titanium dioxide is the most commonly used pigment on earth, making up about 2/3 of all pigment usage. It colors paints, pigments, white paper, food, cosmetics and toothpaste, among many other products.
As long as we're picking nits, titanium oxide is a pigment, not a dye. You can paint a tiger skin to look white, but you cannot dye it white.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Reddog wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:33 am Rit Dye Powdered Fabric Dye, White Wash, 1 7/8-Ounce ??
Our White-Wash is your solution, a chlorine-free bleach and whitener combined that is specifically formulated to brighten dingy white fabrics :snippity:
https://www.ritdye.com/products/white-wash-treatmeant/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:35 am
As long as we're picking nits, titanium oxide is a pigment, not a dye. You can paint a tiger skin to look white, but you cannot dye it white.
I score this set for Sugar. ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

True but I can't imagine painting a tiger skin white. :cantlook:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-clos ... 1634043601
Former President Donald Trump's family company is in advanced discussions to sell the rights to its opulent Washington, D.C., hotel in a deal worth more than $370 million, say people familiar with the matter.

CGI Merchant Group, a Miami-based investment firm, is in talks to acquire the lease on the hotel, these people said. The Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C., is located in the former Old Post Office, a short walk down Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House in a building featuring some of the largest guest rooms in the capital.

The property is owned by the federal government, but with extensions the lease runs close to 100 years. CGI has also entered into discussions with hotel operators, including Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc.'s Waldorf Astoria luxury brand, about removing the Trump name in favor of that of another hotel manager, these people said.

The lease deal could ultimately fetch closer to $400 million, which would represent roughly a doubling of the money the Trump Organization spent to convert the government building into a luxury hotel, said one of the people familiar with the matter.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Failing upward again.... :bored:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:12 pm
Former President Donald Trump's family company is in advanced discussions phoneing people to sell the rights to its opulent Washington, D.C., hotel in a deal worth more than $370 million, say people familiar with the matter. who are we kidding, its lard ass or Junior himself

CGI Merchant Group, a Miami-based investment firm, is in talks to acquire the lease on the hotel were one of the only people not to immediately tell us to go to hell, these people said.

The lease deal could ultimately fetch closer to $400 million said trump, preening about his fantastic art of the deal abilities, which would represent roughly a doubling of the money the Trump Organization spent to convert the government building into a luxury hotel, said one of the people familiar with the matter. Ya we dont believe a word of it either.
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Well, shoot. Somebody hijacked this thread back to the original focus. I much preferred the picking of nits.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

Why would anybody pay $400 million for a site that lost millions in 4 years?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Helliphino but I just want the SOB's name off that beautiful building.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

filly wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:35 pm Why would anybody pay $400 million for a site that lost millions in 4 years?
The loss comes from the stain of his being the second worst president in our history, without the name on the building I dare say it could easily pull a profit.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:21 pm Failing upward again.... :bored:
Well, no. First, I'll bet the price is a lie, its probably half that, or the details make it so Trump gets half that. Second, he pumped $70 million of losses into the place and finally, he borrowed the $170 million he used, and deferred the repayment while he was President, so he owes all that interest, too.

Just wait, he can still end up losing money. He usually does.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Gregg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:21 pm Failing upward again.... :bored:
Well, no. First, I'll bet the price is a lie, its probably half that, or the details make it so Trump gets half that. Second, he pumped $70 million of losses into the place and finally, he borrowed the $170 million he used, and deferred the repayment while he was President, so he owes all that interest, too.

Just wait, he can still end up losing money. He usually does.
You're right: Don't believe a friggin' word that anal sphincter says. Some have posited that he still employs the old Fred buy and resell trick.

Second, we just don't know the entire structure of all the entities that fall under TFG's umbrella. There could be several separate entities that have some relevance to the hotel:

Company H is the actual hotel that provides customary hotel services to guests.
Company A is the leasing entity that subleases the property to Company H.
Company B licenses the tRump name to Company H.
Company C provides the labor for housekeeping, maintenance, and event services.

You get the idea. Money can be moved around and siphoned off to these other entities almost like a Ponzi scheme or to get money out of the businesses and to his spawn or himself.

It would be nice to know the names of all the LLCs and other businesses that appear on tfg's tax returns, and see how they mesh with one another.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I wonder what it will cost to get rid of all that furniture with the "gold" trim that gives the rooms a vaguely French whore house vibe?
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... s-n1281328
The State Department inspector general is investigating whether Trump administration officials helped themselves to expensive Trump-branded gifts meant for foreign dignitaries, NBC News confirmed Tuesday.

The Office of the Inspector General is investigating whether political appointees of then-President Donald Trump removed the taxpayer-funded presents from the State Department gift vault in January and took them home, a department official with knowledge of the events said. The official said the dollar value of the missing gifts is “significant.”

The latest probe into missing gifts was first reported by The New York Times. The paper identified the missing items as gift bags meant for foreign leaders at a Group of Seven summit that was supposed to be held at Camp David in 2020 but was canceled because of the pandemic. The gift bags included leather portfolios, pewter trays and marble boxes with the presidential seal or Donald and Melania Trump's signatures, the Times reported. The newspaper cited public documents from the federal government, interviews with current and former officials, and statements from several departments and agencies for its story.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:54 pm I wonder what it will cost to get rid of all that furniture with the "gold" trim that gives the rooms a vaguely French Persian whore house vibe?
:biggrin:

Trent Reznor
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:47 pm It would be nice to know the names of all the LLCs and other businesses that appear on tfg's tax returns, and see how they mesh with one another.
There are a number of interesting articles etc online. This one from the Washington Times is quite interesting:

“Trump’s complex web of business interests, visualized”:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... isualized/
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:36 pm
humblescribe wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:47 pm It would be nice to know the names of all the LLCs and other businesses that appear on tfg's tax returns, and see how they mesh with one another.
There are a number of interesting articles etc online. This one from the Washington Times is quite interesting:

“Trump’s complex web of business interests, visualized”:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... isualized/
You had me going there for a second when you said the Washington Times has a number of interesting articles. :eek:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Oh dear :bag:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Uninformed is a Brit; we'll let him off with a mild beating. Next case. :smoking:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:52 pm Uninformed is a Brit; we'll let him off with a mild beating. Next case. :smoking:
Didn't mean for read like a beating. More like a gentle tap on the shoulder. Sorry Uninformed. :bag:
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

The beatings will continue until morale improves!!!!

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Surprised that Ivanka Trump was almost head of the World Bank? You shouldn’t be
Arwa Mahdawi
Tue 12 Oct 2021 16.34 BST

It’s no secret that Donald Trump has something of a soft spot for his eldest daughter, Ivanka. He’s constantly tooting her horn and gushing over her talents. Not only does Ivanka have a “very nice figure”, Trump has boasted, but “she’s very good with numbers”. She’s so good at all that numbers stuff that the former president even considered her for the top job at the World Bank in 2019. And that wasn’t just a fleeting fantasy, either; according to a recent report by the Intercept, Ivanka’s nomination for World Bank president “came incredibly close to happening”. The reason it didn’t is that Trump’s treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, intervened. Which, by the way is a rather different story from the one Ivanka tells. The former first daughter has said she passed on the job because she was very happy with the high-powered White House position she’d appointed herself to.

I can’t say I’m surprised that Ivanka was a stone’s throw away from a(nother) prestigious job she was laughably unqualified for. What does intrigue me is why Mnuchin might have blocked her nomination. Trump has a knack of surrounding himself with sycophants who do his bidding; what could have prompted Mnuchin to break ranks? Could it possibly be that the guy finds brazen nepotism distasteful? Alas, it seems unlikely, considering he’s a product of it himself. Mnuchin’s first job out of Yale was at Goldman Sachs, where his dad just happened to be a general partner. According to a New York magazine profile, Mnuchin’s colleagues at Goldman Sachs didn’t consider him “especially book smart”, but that didn’t stop him becoming partner himself. The same profile notes that his elevation to partner came at the expense of an African American trader from a working-class background who struck one colleague as being “much smarter than Steven” and having “accomplished a lot more”. I don’t know how fair that profile is, but I’d bet both my kidneys that Mnuchin isn’t someone who stays awake at night fretting about nepotism.

So perhaps Mnuchin was afraid Ivanka’s appointment might be unethical or make the US look ridiculous? Again, these theories seem unlikely. Mnuchin and his (third) wife, the Scottish actor Louise Linton, don’t seem particularly bothered by ethics or looking ridiculous. Mnuchin, after all, is nicknamed the “foreclosure king” because he made a ton of money evicting elderly people from their homes. Linton, meanwhile, is notorious for having written a “white saviour” memoir full of dubious claims. The pair haven’t exactly kept a low profile since getting together. Remember when the lovebirds did a very weird supervillain-style photoshoot with a sheet of new dollar bills? Not exactly something someone concerned about optics might do. Then there was the time they took a government plane to see a solar eclipse in Kentucky. Linton posted the trip on Instagram and hashtagged all the designer labels she was wearing: “#rolandmouret pants”, “#tomford sunnies”, “#hermesscarf”, “#valentinorockstudheels”. The whole thing was #inverybadtaste.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... world-bank
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Foggy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:52 pm Uninformed is a Brit; we'll let him off with a mild beating. Next case. :smoking:
No dammit no!

He at the very least needs to buy me a pint when I come over.

Report in 26th December to the George IV pub, Portugal St, London at 8:00.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Gregg wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:45 pm No dammit no!

He at the very least needs to buy me a pint when I come over.

Report in 26th December to the George IV pub, Portugal St, London at 8:00.
It probably won’t be open as it’s a Sunday.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”